Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > QMJHL

Relocation rumors

Old
01-18-2012, 07:21 AM
wjhl2009fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBarmada View Post
I don't see why they would need a small rink, I think the bell center works.
Montreal like Toronto does not have a huge taste for major jr hockey there are very few citys in Canada that could make it work in big arenas.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:52 AM
Raimu

Quote:
I don't see why they would need a small rink, I think the bell center works.
One last point on this, teams have to pay rent, or a fee rather, in order to use the arena. Considering last years Montreal Juniors team drew under 2k for a playoff game when they were second place in the whole league.. pretty sure that puts you in the red right there.

Raimu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:58 AM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taoiseach View Post
I'd like to see the first three, I think that Saint John's might be a flop though. They didn't really care for the Fog Devils, and that was when there wasn't AHL hockey there. The travel would be awful too. Trois-Rivières needs a team back though. And bring back the Éperviers! Sorel's arena (Colisée Cardin) is apparently one of the best arenas in Québec without a major (i.e. QMJHL or NHL) tenant.

My issue with American teams is that I don't see there being two, and having one is just sort of annoying. I know that this isn't that big of a deal, but everyone is going to have to get passports (and visas for the Euro players) all to accommodate one team. It just seems easier to keep it a Québec/Maritime league.

What about places like Sallaberry-de-Valleyfield? If it isn't too close to Boisbriand, and if they figured out getting a new arena, we could even look at making a return to Saint-Jérôme. I really can't think of anywhere else in Québec, save for more Montréal area teams. I'm not sure that Greater-Québec would be a good idea (i.e. Beauport).

There's certainly always Cornwall too, but that has issues of its own.
Well you have to think most of these kids have passports to begin with going to minor hockey tournaments across North America and some cases going to Europe.

If the Q wants to compete with the other two leagues, getting back to the United States is a must down the road. Although I highly doubt it will happen. To me it doesn't make sense to fold your only American franchise, then right after send out a press release saying you are going to have scouting combines in New England and extend the draft two more rounds to require each team to draft two American players in the draft.

There has been nothing announced in terms of scouting combines in New England.

If the Q really wanted to make a point of teams drafting American players they shouldn't have thrown the two extra rounds into the draft because it just makes look like those American picks are "throw away picks."

If the draft was still 12 rounds teams would have to make tougher decisions who they draft.

I don't think the Q is coming back to New England for at least a decade. I hope I am wrong, but I think the QMJHL is just happy to be in Canada at this moment.

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:17 PM
chsb

Quote:
They had decent support with an idiot owner and ridiculous prices.

Vaudreuil will have a team one day, the have to build a rink but the population is on the rise and people will go see that team play because it would be the only attraction there.

I don't know what rink the Mustangs play in maybe that's suitable ?

BLB is a good market cause there's not much to do.

I think the league can support 24 teams easily, its a question if putting them in the right places.
A plethora of teams have been tried in the Montreal suburbs, on the Island and they all had to fold down 1 way or another.
Montreal has all its interest focused on the Habs and junior never worked there unless it was in a league with very little commuting and low expenses.

We have the regions filled with Montreal expatriated teams for a reason.
Dreaming of potential markets ine Montreal region is a bridge that the Q crossed and water has flowed under and passed.

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:02 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
More teams=More talent.

More players would get a shot, obviously at 1st yes it would be very hard, but with Atlantic hockey improving, it can work.
Youd water everything down...this isnt even debateable...youd have guys who should be in Jr AAA playing 3rd line in the Q

Its not so much Atl hockey improving...its Quebec hockey declining.

LaLaLaprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:29 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaprise View Post
Youd water everything down...this isnt even debateable...youd have guys who should be in Jr AAA playing 3rd line in the Q

Its not so much Atl hockey improving...its Quebec hockey declining.

While no doubt this is true, Atl hockey has improved.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

I would love the return of a team in Saint-Hyacinthe.

Lars Mon Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:57 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

After moving Rocket from Montréal to IPE in 2003.

Moving the Fog Devis from St. John's to Montréal in 2008.

Moving the Junior to Armada in 2011.

You still really think it might work in immediate Montréal area with teams in Montréal, Laval, Repentigny...cmon guys so much fails in last 10 years I can't believe you still think Montréal is a junior league market.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 10:15 AM
wjhl2009fan

If that new rink does get built in Laval it would not shock me is a major jr team ends up there along with a ahl team.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 08:03 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
If that new rink does get built in Laval it would not shock me is a major jr team ends up there along with a ahl team.
I believe in the Q bylaws a team can't share a building with an AHL franchise. If Laval gets an arena, it will be one or the other

Old
02-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTSMANIAC View Post
I believe in the Q bylaws a team can't share a building with an AHL franchise. If Laval gets an arena, it will be one or the other
What? Why would that be a rule? They certainly let teams share arenas with NHL teams!

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:00 PM
ckg927

vCash: 400
Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
What? Why would that be a rule? They certainly let teams share arenas with NHL teams!
Not what he was getting at.

NO AHL team shares its arena on a full time basis with an NHL team. (Toronto only plays a game or two a season at the ACC.) There are a few(Lake Erie(Cleveland), Houston, San Antonio, Charlotte and Milwaukee)that share space with the NBA.

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 07:22 AM
SPORTSMANIAC

Quote:
You would be fighting for the same entertainment dollar. It would kill each franchise, especially the Q team if Montreal has their AHL team there.

The two WHL teams that use NHL arenas - Calgary and Edmonton - are owned by Flames and Oilers respectfully but they arent fighting for the entertainment dollar because you are dealing with a NHL team and a junior team. prices for a Flames and Oilers game is a lot higher than it is for a Hitmen and Oil Kings game. Theres two different target audiences there.

Where as a building sharing a AHL and Q team, both are considered to be minor leagues. While we can all agree AHL is a high caliber of hockey, the prices of a ticket between two leagues isnt that far apart. You would have two teams going after the same target audience because minor league sports motto is basically affordable fun for the entire family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
Not what he was getting at.

NO AHL team shares its arena on a full time basis with an NHL team. (Toronto only plays a game or two a season at the ACC.) There are a few(Lake Erie(Cleveland), Houston, San Antonio, Charlotte and Milwaukee)that share space with the NBA.
I see what you are saying but what I was getting at is I thought it in the bylaws of the Q or the AHL I forget which one that they cant share a building with the other league.

A few years ago when there were rumors of Lewiston going to Portland, they were shut down because people kept saying the pirates would have to leave town because the teams cant share the same building. Your examples AHL Hockey and the NBA where one again two different target audiences and two different sports, they arent really competing with each other like an AHL team and a Q team would be

Last edited by SPORTSMANIAC: 02-06-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old
02-08-2012, 05:19 PM
rocketfan

Rumors swirling around that Bathurst may be on the move to Riviere du loup. Every year the Titan seem to be rumored moving some where. But eventually it has to come true. Haven't heard anything about the Rocket and imo I think the franchise will be ok on PEI the team finally is showing potential and I think by next year fans will be back.

rocketfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:45 PM
rocketfan

I read on Twitter earlier the rocket might be sold to Riviere Du Loup any1 hear this? I heard about the Bathurst rumors but this is another new 1

Old
03-04-2012, 01:57 PM
DoyleG
Mr. Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketfan View Post
I read on Twitter earlier the rocket might be sold to Riviere Du Loup any1 hear this? I heard about the Bathurst rumors but this is another new 1
The arena in RDL is too small for the Q (I was there during the summer while visiting a friend) and its proximity to Rimouski would be an additional issue.

DoyleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 05:55 PM
rocketfan

What is up with Trois Rivieres getting a 5100 seat arena? are they not too close to Shawinigan for a q team? It says on map quest thats the distance between the 2 citys in 27 miles is that accurate?

Old
03-05-2012, 02:24 AM
76ftw

vCash: 50
Bathurst should go to Fredericton. It would do pretty well with two Universities in town.

Though I doubt UNB would give up the Aitken Centre.

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:22 PM
rocketfan

There is a rumor floating around proboards tonight stating the Rocket have been sold to a off island group. The person also stated he isn't sure if the new owners would keep the team on PEI imo if the team is sold. The new owners should change the name and keep this franchise on PEI if there was a well run q team in Charlottetown I believe they would draw more, But with that being said what cities are better than charlottetown that has a Q rink right now?

Old
03-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Cornwall OHL
That's my O face.

Quote:
There is a rumor floating around proboards tonight stating the Rocket have been sold to a off island group. The person also stated he isn't sure if the new owners would keep the team on PEI imo if the team is sold. The new owners should change the name and keep this franchise on PEI if there was a well run q team in Charlottetown I believe they would draw more, But with that being said what cities are better than charlottetown that has a Q rink right now?
Summerside
Cornwall, ON
St. John's

Cornwall OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:41 PM
CheerstoBeers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornwall OHL View Post
Summerside
Cornwall, ON
St. John's
Cornwall, ON??

were talking about the Q..They aren't going to move a Q team to Cornwall, ON

CheerstoBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Cornwall OHL
That's my O face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheerstoBeers View Post
Cornwall, ON??

were talking about the Q..They aren't going to move a Q team to Cornwall, ON
Yeah they probably would never move a Q team to a city that loves hockey and has had a successful past as one of the founding members of the Q. Not to mention three Memorial Cups.

Cornwall OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 06:07 PM
rocketfan

So has any1 heard anything in the Quebec media about the PEI Rocket being sold and moved or are these just sour fans here making Rumors trying to run the team outta town

Old
03-09-2012, 02:31 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
So has any1 heard anything in the Quebec media about the PEI Rocket being sold and moved or are these just sour fans here making Rumors trying to run the team outta town
Man, if the Rocket move, that'll be BOTH of the teams I've seen play in person having relocated in the two years or so since I saw them play (I saw the Montreal Junior play the Rocket in Verdun back in 2010).

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:57 PM
welcometothebigshow2

I realize that you can't expand so many teams so quick, but adding teams to the Q, like 5 or 6, would that be better or worse for the Q? Just wondering others opinions

welcometothebigshow2 is offline   Reply With Quote