HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sign GrossmaNN

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2012, 06:37 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxflex View Post
I like what I've seen too...big guy, not that slow, uses his size effectively and makes good basic plays at both ends...but it's premature to rush to sign him. I mean, if he's willing to take a 3-5 yr at $2 mil or less per yr, sure...deal...but I think we should see him some more before paying what he'll probably be asking.
he is not going to re-sign for $2m or less

Old
02-26-2012, 08:10 PM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
I'd rather wait and see how he does the rest of the season and in the playoffs before signing him. A lot of players have good games right after being traded or signing with a new team, so there is no need to rush anything right now.

Old
02-27-2012, 02:30 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
he is not going to re-sign for $2m or less
Right now he is our #6 defenseman.

Any GM who signs a #6 for way more than 2M per should be fired immediately based on Randy Jones law.

Grossman either finds a way to convince them that he is second pairing material or he will have to take close to or even less than 2M.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:09 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I'd rather wait and see how he does the rest of the season and in the playoffs before signing him. A lot of players have good games right after being traded or signing with a new team, so there is no need to rush anything right now.
He plays the same way he did in Dallas. Came as advertise. 2pts he scored in last game is something he does not do often.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:26 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Grossman either finds a way to convince them that he is second pairing material or he will have to take close to or even less than 2M.
or he can just sign with another hockey team that will pay him more.

Old
02-28-2012, 02:10 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka Sinisalo View Post
or he can just sign with another hockey team that will pay him more.
That's part of the game.

Old
03-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Kaktus*

Anything under 3M would be awesome. 8M 3 year deal wold be awesome.

Old
03-04-2012, 08:58 PM
bryzgalovsky*

I don't see how they could not resign him and Kubina.

I mean they'd basically be returning the defense to what they clearly realized was an awful setup.

Old
03-04-2012, 09:04 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredFlyer View Post
lol. Overreaction city. Guy scores a goal after a game where he had a bunch of mindnumbingly bad passes and turnovers and our fans want him signed long-term ASAP.

Brilliant.

Can't we give it like I dunno at least 10 games before we jump to decisions?
Quiet

Old
03-07-2012, 12:01 AM
Top Cheese Danish

The title of this thread clearly must be changed. There is no "Grossman" on this team.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:10 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SedinSandwich View Post
The title of this thread clearly must be changed. There is no "Grossman" on this team.
You're right.

03-07-2012, 08:18 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedinSandwich View Post
fixed.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:40 PM
phillyfanatic

I don't think it is a coincidence that Bryz has been excellent since GrossmanN came to Philly. I resign him for sure. The guy eats up shots, clears the crease "Pronger like" and is excellent on the PK. Personally, I think he is easily worth 3M per.

Old
03-07-2012, 01:17 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
I don't think it is a coincidence that Bryz has been excellent since GrossmanN came to Philly. I resign him for sure. The guy eats up shots, clears the crease "Pronger like" and is excellent on the PK. Personally, I think he is easily worth 3M per.
Agreed. Now that Grossmann has had a chance to settle in, he's averaging almost 19 minutes of ice time per night, he's playing regularly on the PK and is helping spell Timonen and Coburn from playing tons of minutes.

I'm also hoping the Flyers re-sign Kubina as well. He too has been excellent since coming over from Tampa Bay and has really settled in as well. I never realized just how smart of a player Kubina is and you can see that he always tries to make the safe play each and every time. There's nothing fancy, just effective.

Maybe Grossmann and Kubina can rub off on Carle, Coburn and Meszaors about how to play defense and how looking after the little things can make one more effective.

Old
03-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Agreed. Now that Grossmann has had a chance to settle in, he's averaging almost 19 minutes of ice time per night, he's playing regularly on the PK and is helping spell Timonen and Coburn from playing tons of minutes.

I'm also hoping the Flyers re-sign Kubina as well. He too has been excellent since coming over from Tampa Bay and has really settled in as well. I never realized just how smart of a player Kubina is and you can see that he always tries to make the safe play each and every time. There's nothing fancy, just effective.

Maybe Grossmann and Kubina can rub off on Carle, Coburn and Meszaors about how to play defense and how looking after the little things can make one more effective.
I honestly didn't think GrossmanN and/or Kubina would make such a major difference and felt the defensive issues ran deeper. Just goes to show that I, once again, have no idea idea what I'm talking about. I don't think it's any coincidence that Bryz's play has taken off ever since those two acquisitions... they're playing physically, clearing guys out from in front of the net, and noticeably opening up sight lines so Bryz can see most of the shots.

Old
03-07-2012, 01:31 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I wont lie, Kubina's slowness kinda erks me but overall Im fine with him. Grossmann I really like though. I think he is a top 4 guy who can shutdown good forwards. And even though he doesnt have any offense, it could help us that he doesnt (meaning he would make less than if he did have some offense in him).

Old
03-07-2012, 01:32 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I wont lie, Kubina's slowness kinda erks me but overall Im fine with him. Grossmann I really like though. I think he is a top 4 guy who can shutdown good forwards. And even though he doesnt have any offense, it could help us that he doesnt (meaning he would make less than if he did have some offense in him).
You gotta love it when Brouwer was on him late game in the corner of the Caps game, and he just put his hand on his face and just shoved his ass straight down onto the ground.

Old
03-07-2012, 01:35 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Also Grossmann doesnt take many penalties... at all. He has 14 minor penalties, and he plays a rough and in your face kind of defense. That is pretty hard to do.

I would love to see a Timonen-Grossmann pairing. I think that could be pretty damn good come playoff time. I like Coburn, but Grossmann, I think, would be better suited with Timonen. I honestly see Meszaros-Grossmann as a waste. Grossmann should be with either Carle or Timonen. Timonen-Coburn has been horrendous lately.

Old
03-07-2012, 01:45 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Love the way he plays. I'm all for keeping him as is. He may get himself some more money for a strong playoffs though...

Old
03-07-2012, 02:17 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I was saying this since Pronger went down in the season, and was pretty much ridiculed for it.

Bryz clearly gave up on the team infront of him when he realised that they wen't going to bother trying to defend. Even Kimmo to some extent just gave up on the team. We didn't bother to clog the lanes, block shots or play team defense.

Grossmann and Kubina come in, Show a work ethic, start punishing opposition forwards that even dare look at our goalie and play such a solid no nonsese game. Bryz knows that he can rely on the defense taking care of the extra men, and concentrates on the puck.

It's actually pretty evident to see. At the start of the season Bryz was actually defending against the man behind the net, while watching a player infront of the net for the pass. He couldn't do it all. His confidence shattered, and then we saw 60 foot wristers going in.

I can't see Kubina staying with us next season, I honestly think he's a little to slow, but Grossmann looks fantastic. Everything that he was talked up to be. He is essentially what we want Coburn to be for the regular season.

I for one hope we sign Grossmann. Anything under 3 per would be gravy. Carle can still go somewhere else for all I care.

Old
03-07-2012, 04:42 PM
achdumeingute

The weak link is mezaros. He's so so bad. Carle is at least positionally good, albeit not terribly physical. I don't like Carle for long years at 5 mil per though...which he can probably get in the offseason.

Old
03-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Prongo
Beer

Man people are saying Grossmann will get 3.5-4 million on the open market.

1) I don't think he is nowhere near that price
2) If we don't resign him and he get that much, the team that does give him that much will regret it immediately.
3) IMHO he shouldn't come close to what Jan Hedja signed with Colorado.

I think a deal around 2.75 for three years or around there should be fair.

Old
03-07-2012, 07:14 PM
BernieParent

If Holmgren could ink Grossmann to 3 years $9 mil and Kubina 1 year $4 mil, that would be a good fit, IMO. Oh, and let Carle walk.

Old
03-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
If Holmgren could ink Grossmann to 3 years $9 mil and Kubina 1 year $4 mil, that would be a good fit, IMO. Oh, and let Carle walk.
i like anything that keeps Grossmann, and gets rid of Carle.

Kubina im still not sold on, but thats partly on Lavi for not using him enuf and in the right areas..

why Kubina isnt a automatic point shot guy for PP's is beyond me..

hes basicly build for it, for christs sake.

he should be out there setting up bombs every chance we get.

Old
03-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I want them both resigned. Grossmann longer than Kubina, but keep them both. They are good 4,5,6 D men. Nothing flashy just steady. Plus they have the respect of the refs and that goes a long ways. Now if Homer can pull a rabbit out of his hat this summer then our defense is set for next year.

Closed Thread