HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues vs Chicago -- 7pm -- (FSMW, KMOX)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-07-2012, 10:50 AM
  #351
execwrite
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Peekskill, NY
Posts: 3,484
vCash: 500
Look, I know the attack on Stewart is going to continue. He's become the designated target. He's not playing that bad but he's also not having the kind of season he's capable of.

Part of the reason his numbers are down is because he's off the power play completely and that's a logical coach's decision.

I just don't think he's the world's worst hockey player and I'll keep sticking up for him. He is part of the best team in the NHL right now. He must be doing something positive.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:01 AM
  #352
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion
 
Dolph Ziggler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 8,725
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Look, I know the attack on Stewart is going to continue. He's become the designated target. He's not playing that bad but he's also not having the kind of season he's capable of.

Part of the reason his numbers are down is because he's off the power play completely and that's a logical coach's decision.

I just don't think he's the world's worst hockey player and I'll keep sticking up for him. He is part of the best team in the NHL right now. He must be doing something positive.
Totally agree with you. Anyone ripping on Stewart for last night ought to be ripping Arnott right there with them in the case. For the record, I'm not ripping either of them, just that they were basically identical last night.

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:06 AM
  #353
inglouriousbackes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bellevegas, Illinois
Posts: 173
vCash: 500
i'm ok with ian cole making those mistakes, its part of the learning process. The tempo between the AHL and NHL are worlds apart. As long as he keeps on progressing, I'm all for it. Who knows he might be another shattenkirk :p

inglouriousbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:11 AM
  #354
stlweir
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,516
vCash: 500
exec - I agree. If you look at the Blues scoring they may only have three 20 goal scorers this year. The Blues leading goal scorer at seasons end may not even hit 25 goals. The defensive style has made the Blues one of the top teams in all of hockey but their scoring is down pretty much across the board.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:19 AM
  #355
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,224
vCash: 714
I feel like my appraisal is getting lumped in with "the haters". For the record, I'm not ripping on Stewart. I'm not calling for a trade. I think he's a young guy, and hopefully his relative inexperience (as a late-comer to hockey) means he can grow and find his game on this team. He definitely has the physical tools to do it.

I'm just calling it like I saw it last night. It was not a good game for him. However, he's not hurting the team terribly by the way Hitchcock is using him (off the PP for example, off top 6 lines). The Blues can afford to be patient with him. Its clear he's part of this team through whatever post-season run we get.

I'm confused by the Arnott comment above. I thought he had a pretty average game for him. He's not fast enough to make some of the plays other guys make, but he was positioned well and I don't remember really any gaffes he made that cost the team. (Jackman was similar. He got beat by speed a couple times, but he makes up for that with his intelligent play and physicality.)

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:32 AM
  #356
ManyIdeas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 1,933
vCash: 1152
Our scoring has been way up for the past month

ManyIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:43 AM
  #357
Sushiko
Damn Blues
 
Sushiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: PHX AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,636
vCash: 500
I like Stewart a lot, I think he'll improve as well.
Looking at the past month, Blues have been scoring a lot of 3's, and sometimes more. I still read on the main board from time to time about the Blues being a team who "doesn't score enough" or how they are boring because their games are "1-0", etc, so the haters aren't even paying attention, nor do they know what they are talking about.
Last night's game was fun to watch, not just because they won of course but I thought it was very physical and exciting.

Sushiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:05 PM
  #358
execwrite
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Peekskill, NY
Posts: 3,484
vCash: 500
Wow - this is some rip job on the Hawks

Here's what he says about the Blues


It’s not just that the Blues have become a terrific team. It’s their style. The Blues play like they’re one of those table-top, rod-hockey games you had as a kid. Up and down their lanes, none of the big, crossing circles like the Red Wings. Straight ahead, straight back, and it doesn’t matter who’s in the way, especially at center, where the Blues roll out guys who use Patrick Kane for floss.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:11 PM
  #359
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,224
vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushiko View Post
I like Stewart a lot, I think he'll improve as well.
Looking at the past month, Blues have been scoring a lot of 3's, and sometimes more. I still read on the main board from time to time about the Blues being a team who "doesn't score enough" or how they are boring because their games are "1-0", etc, so the haters aren't even paying attention, nor do they know what they are talking about.
Last night's game was fun to watch, not just because they won of course but I thought it was very physical and exciting.
They can go right on hating the Blues while the engraver is stenciling "Pietrangelo" on the Cup.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:12 PM
  #360
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,224
vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Wow - this is some rip job on the Hawks

Here's what he says about the Blues


It’s not just that the Blues have become a terrific team. It’s their style. The Blues play like they’re one of those table-top, rod-hockey games you had as a kid. Up and down their lanes, none of the big, crossing circles like the Red Wings. Straight ahead, straight back, and it doesn’t matter who’s in the way, especially at center, where the Blues roll out guys who use Patrick Kane for floss.
Sweet photo of Polak with that article.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 01:10 PM
  #361
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 50
Oh man if only I could believe Chris Stewart were a better hockey player, he would be. Just imagine the season he'd be having if not for my bad faith!

Sorry guys. And, especially, sorry Chris. Didn't mean to designate you. It's just me. Hope that doesn't ruin your awesome career. You've been tearing it up. After all, the Blues are winning, so you're good.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 01:37 PM
  #362
execwrite
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Peekskill, NY
Posts: 3,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Oh man if only I could believe Chris Stewart were a better hockey player, he would be. Just imagine the season he'd be having if not for my bad faith!

Sorry guys. And, especially, sorry Chris. Didn't mean to designate you. It's just me. Hope that doesn't ruin your awesome career. You've been tearing it up. After all, the Blues are winning, so you're good.
I'm sure that Chris accepts your apology.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 01:45 PM
  #363
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
I'm sure that Chris accepts your apology.
I gotta say, I think the way you attack the people who simply notice his play is a terrible thing and has a chilling effect. Even a mod immediately backed down from being "lumped" with people who you are calling not just bad faith, but basically there's something wrong with them. It's a powerfully leveraged smear and that's why people will back away from it immediately. But the fact is he was unnoticable til the final minute when he made a pass to Arnott, who fired a shot into a basically open net to pad the final score. He had almost no impact on the game. Oh wait, he must be good because the team is winning? Yeah, that's why Hitchcock is demoting him to the fourth and third lines, because he's so good and it's just positives oozing from his game. If D'Agostini, Langenbrunner and Steen were back Stewart might even be sitting at this point, he brings so little. I'm not going to insidiously attack your motives the way you casually and comfortably do in order to cause chilling effect on frank, honest discussion, but I absolutely could.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 03:27 PM
  #364
BadgersandBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
I gotta say, I think the way you attack the people who simply notice his play is a terrible thing and has a chilling effect. Even a mod immediately backed down from being "lumped" with people who you are calling not just bad faith, but basically there's something wrong with them. It's a powerfully leveraged smear and that's why people will back away from it immediately. But the fact is he was unnoticable til the final minute when he made a pass to Arnott, who fired a shot into a basically open net to pad the final score. He had almost no impact on the game. Oh wait, he must be good because the team is winning? Yeah, that's why Hitchcock is demoting him to the fourth and third lines, because he's so good and it's just positives oozing from his game. If D'Agostini, Langenbrunner and Steen were back Stewart might even be sitting at this point, he brings so little. I'm not going to insidiously attack your motives the way you casually and comfortably do in order to cause chilling effect on frank, honest discussion, but I absolutely could.
Someone actually made a great point in a different post. If Langs/Steen/D'ags had all been healthy at the trade deadline, do you -really- think Stewart would still be here?

I would lean towards no.

Stewart was worthless this game, just the way he's been worthless the majority of the season. I'm not looking at his stats as the reason for that analysis. I'm looking at his -overall- game. Which is non-existent if he isn't scoring. Thankfully we can afford to be patient with him since the rest of the team is picking up his slack. But I think his days with this organization are numbered.

BadgersandBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 03:43 PM
  #365
OhNoLookOutRUN
Registered User
 
OhNoLookOutRUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 130
vCash: 100
I think my favorite part of the game was the silly grin on Sobotka's face after he scored the shorty. That dude's a little gremlin.

OhNoLookOutRUN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 04:13 PM
  #366
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!
 
bluemandan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoLookOutRUN View Post
I think my favorite part of the game was the silly grin on Sobotka's face after he scored the shorty. That dude's a little gremlin.
Of all the PK forward pairings, that is the last pair I expected to team up for such a pretty shorthanded goal.

I mean, when the Blues are running out Backes, Oshie, Berglund, and McDonald out on the PK, I'd expect them to score shorthanded before Sobotka on a nice feed from Nichol.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 04:48 PM
  #367
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator
 
EastonBlues22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 5,228
vCash: 500
I think the Stewart discussion has pretty much played itself out for the time being. One performance (good, bad, or invisible) isn't going to radically change our individual perceptions of him (or his season within the larger context of his career) at this point in the season, so it seems pretty futile to recycle the same discussions after every game.

Barring an extended streak of particularly great/brutal play, the only significant information left to garner from this season regarding Stewart is how he will perform in the playoffs.

Beyond that, his future with this team depends largely on what happens with Tarasenko, what happens with the CBA, what happens with team ownership/the budget, what his contract demands are, what his trade value is around the league, and how the organization views him as an asset (based on a number of different factors, including many that we don't have access to including his coachability, work ethic, locker-room presence, perceived upside, etc.).

We can speculate about all those things, of course, but at this point our opinions are so relatively uninformed that we are all basically just guessing about how the big picture is going to play out.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 04:54 PM
  #368
jimmykay
Registered User
 
jimmykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
I think the Stewart discussion has pretty much played itself out for the time being. One performance (good, bad, or invisible) isn't going to radically change our individual perceptions of him (or his season within the larger context of his career) at this point in the season, so it seems pretty futile to recycle the same discussions after every game.

Barring an extended streak of particularly great/brutal play, the only significant information left to garner from this season regarding Stewart is how he will perform in the playoffs.

Beyond that, his future with this team depends largely on what happens with Tarasenko, what happens with the CBA, what happens with team ownership/the budget, what his contract demands are, what his trade value is around the league, and how the organization views him as an asset (based on a number of different factors, including many that we don't have access to including his coachability, work ethic, locker-room presence, perceived upside, etc.).

We can speculate about all those things, of course, but at this point our opinions are so relatively uninformed that we are all basically just guessing about how the big picture is going to play out.
what's this? a calm, well thought out, rational point? obsurd! We want Stewart/Jackman/Boyes/Brewer/Mason/Murray's head on a stake!

jimmykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 05:36 PM
  #369
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykay View Post
what's this? a calm, well thought out, rational point? obsurd! We want Stewart/Jackman/Boyes/Brewer/Mason/Murray's head on a stake!
Obviously it's thought out and rational. That's what made me object to the motive-questioning of those who've looked at Stewart's all-around game and found it wanting.

Way too many people rush to pat themselves on the back for conflating "strong opinion" with "irrational, reactionary opinion." Strong opinions aren't bad in and of themselves, and it is a particular conceit by many on Blues boards that the proper way to post is to pick the middle ground reflexively – that can be the only "rational" opinion. There's a self-congratulatory, smug cult around this, and it grew out of an overreaction to a number of truly crazy trolls who infested unmoderated Blues boards for many years.

That overreaction can be toxic in its own way. Nobody wants to be thought of as reactionary or irrational, so often there's a reflexive rush to condemn anything that looks like it's a strong opinion. But a well-explained, well-defended strong opinion ... those make discussion boards come alive because now you're reading argument instead of just basic information and a dull repetition of conventional wisdom. Whatever the subject matter is – sports, film, politics, culture, hobbies, etc. – if a group of people have mutual interest and want to discuss it, give me the well-articulated, well-defended strong opinions every time.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 06:28 PM
  #370
Mike Liut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,426
vCash: 50
If Dags and Langs are healthy when the playoffs, I am not sure Stewart plays. I am not counting on Steen being ready either.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 06:35 PM
  #371
BadgersandBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykay View Post
what's this? a calm, well thought out, rational point? obsurd! We want Stewart/Jackman/Boyes/Brewer/Mason/Murray's head on a stake!
I've written no less then four calm, well thought out, and rational posts on Chris Stewart's strengths/weaknesses/season/trade value/potential etc.

Just because I have a strong opinion on his lack of worth doesn't mean I haven't done my homework, or that I want him thrown out with the garbage. He's the guy we just traded our only #1 overall pick EVER for. I want him to be an effing superstar. But he's not and hasn't shown me that he will be. So now I want to try and turn him into a superstar via trade. If that makes me a "hater," then call me a hater. I would love nothing more then for the kid to become the next Jarome Iginla. But they are -miles- apart on talent and overall game.

Easton is right, there's really no more point in beating a dead horse, so I'll leave this as my last "Chris Stewart" post of the season. I just think that people on this board need to realize that there's a huge difference b/t "hating" and pointing out obvious deficiencies that need to be corrected, and haven't been corrected in 50+ games with the current head coach.

BadgersandBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 06:40 PM
  #372
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator
 
EastonBlues22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 5,228
vCash: 500
I agree. There's nothing wrong with having strong/polarizing opinions. As PocketNines is pointing out, they're often the engine that drives discussion on boards like this one. There's a decided difference between a strong opinion that's rational/reasoned, though, and one that is intentionally designed to incite/inflame those that read it.

I think the posting histories of PocketNines, Celtic Note, and BadgersandBlues on the Stewart topic are firmly in the former category, so dismissing their opinions out of hand (as reactionary, or whatever) or questioning their motives warrants rebuttal IMO. That particular aspect of the conversation is much less about Stewart than it is about discussing any given topic in general.

My previous comment regarding Stewart was more an observation that there isn't really much territory left unexplored when it comes to his current play. Everything we're seeing now we've seen before, and all the discussions stemming from those comments are discussions that we've had before. That's not a commentary on the validity of the specific observations/discussions as much as it is a commentary on their overall utility. It seems like we're at the point where there probably isn't going to be any significant new ground to break on that front until the playoffs, barring an exceptionally great/terrible prolonged stretch of play.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 06:51 PM
  #373
Fred Murtz
Registered User
 
Fred Murtz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoLookOutRUN View Post
I think my favorite part of the game was the silly grin on Sobotka's face after he scored the shorty. That dude's a little gremlin.
Dude looked like he had just pumped the cat.

Fred Murtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 07:26 PM
  #374
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion
 
Dolph Ziggler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 8,725
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
I agree. There's nothing wrong with having strong/polarizing opinions. As PocketNines is pointing out, they're often the engine that drives discussion on boards like this one. There's a decided difference between a strong opinion that's rational/reasoned, though, and one that is intentionally designed to incite/inflame those that read it.

I think the posting histories of PocketNines, Celtic Note, and BadgersandBlues on the Stewart topic are firmly in the former category, so dismissing their opinions out of hand (as reactionary, or whatever) or questioning their motives warrants rebuttal IMO. That particular aspect of the conversation is much less about Stewart than it is about discussing any given topic in general.

My previous comment regarding Stewart was more an observation that there isn't really much territory left unexplored when it comes to his current play. Everything we're seeing now we've seen before, and all the discussions stemming from those comments are discussions that we've had before. That's not a commentary on the validity of the specific observations/discussions as much as it is a commentary on their overall utility. It seems like we're at the point where there probably isn't going to be any significant new ground to break on that front until the playoffs, barring an exceptionally great/terrible prolonged stretch of play.
Yup I would agree with this. Considering the argument centers on what will happen in the future, it seems there isn't much at all that can be added. Even if he has a spectacular post-season run, I don't think you can just universally say, he's turned it around.

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 09:00 PM
  #375
superblues
I'm being sarcastic.
 
superblues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,628
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Look, I know the attack on Stewart is going to continue. He's become the designated target. He's not playing that bad but he's also not having the kind of season he's capable of.

Part of the reason his numbers are down is because he's off the power play completely and that's a logical coach's decision.

I just don't think he's the world's worst hockey player and I'll keep sticking up for him. He is part of the best team in the NHL right now. He must be doing something positive.
I've taken heat for saying it before, but there's always a whipping boy with this team. Always.

Right now, for better or worse, it's Chris Stewart.

superblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.