HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your nightmare

View Poll Results: YOUR NIGHTMARE
RC starts doing media scrums in French 3 1.81%
PG given 3 year extension 68 40.96%
Markov blows knee after start of 2012 season 36 21.69%
Gomez starts 2012 season with the Habs 22 13.25%
At Draft, Habs to pick, Bettman announces a trade 37 22.29%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-07-2012, 08:19 PM
yianik

vCash: 500
Your nightmare

I was just thinking about concerns expressed by Habs and thought Id do a poll on some nightmare scenarios. Mine is Markov blowing his knee out after the start of next season.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 08:22 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
I was just thinking about concerns expressed by Habs and thought Id do a poll on some nightmare scenarios. Mine is Markov blowing his knee out after the start of next season.
If that's the case, the tanking talk will start much earlier. Instead of Yakupov/Grigorenko, our fans will talk about Barkov/MacKinnon.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Management team is back next year, Gauthier, Gainey and others

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 08:31 PM
danyhabsfan

All of them except the last one.

A trade isnt necessarily a bad one.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 08:32 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Habs announce PG fired and replaced by Damphousse (or some other obviously stupid GM).
or
Markvo blows out the same knee.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 08:48 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

RC starts doing media scrums in French
this is my pick. he's been terrible. do not want.

PG given 3 year extension
yay for more average-ness (**** you im not using the mot-du-jour "mediocrity"). gauthier has a penchant for not doing blockbuster trades, for doing the "small potatoes" type of trades, so he won't hurt us as much as keeping randy would.

although if you want to tank again next season, they both have to be kept.

Markov blows knee after start of 2012 season
it has be be assumed in management's plan that he will blow out his knee. assume the worst, prepare for the worst

Gomez starts 2012 season with the Habs
i would feel physically ill if that were to happen...

At Draft, Habs to pick, Bettman announces a trade
if it's to get something like huberdeau, bring it on *****es!

if it's to get nash, noooooooooooooooo :vader:

all bad, but only one would be turruble...

-------

you should have added a new choice: "habs hire new management: more ex-habs players with no NHL experience".

that would have gotten my vote

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 08:48 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Habs announce PG fired and replaced by Damphousse (or some other obviously stupid GM).
or
Markvo blows out the same knee.
Could you imagine if it was mcguire? he walks in like Mr. Peanut without the hat and we instantly become the sideshow of the nhl. So much for history, we just became a gimmick.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Teufelsdreck

The most serious development would be the inability of Markov to return. That would be a greater setback than any front office move because a coach or GM can be fired at will whereas ace Dmen don't grow on trees.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 09:01 PM
MXD

All of the above, unless it's a trade for Huberdeau, Couturier, or any really promising young center. Or a trade down if Galenychuck, Forsberg and Trouba are gone, which is extremely unlikely.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Nightmare would be getting a top pick and having him fizzle... forever dooming us to more 8th place finishes.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Probably retaining current management from coaching to GM to adviser to GM.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 09:30 PM
Krnage

imagine if that all happened in one season

Krnage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 09:34 PM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 567
Gainey back to the gm position

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 09:54 PM
SouthernHab
jak się masz

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Could you imagine if it was mcguire? he walks in like Mr. Peanut without the hat and we instantly become the sideshow of the nhl. So much for history, we just became a gimmick.
Earth to marble. We are the sideshow of the NHL now. Remember? The circus that is last place in the East.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:00 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

You guys are gonna be weeping and furious when we get actually incompetent management. Then you'll have reasons to hate on the GM which don't include their diet, their etiquette or their professionalism.

Old
03-07-2012, 10:10 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
You guys are gonna be weeping and furious when we get actually incompetent management. Then you'll have reasons to hate on the GM which don't include their diet, their etiquette or their professionalism.
My, aren't we a negative nancy. Apart from maybe Scott Howson, who is exactly worse than Gauthier?

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:15 PM
Raider917

another really bad year next season might mean mackinnon. im not totally against tanking next year.

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:18 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
another really bad year next season might mean mackinnon. im not totally against tanking next year too.
some of our "young guys" will turn UFA in 3 or so years... and they may be against another losing season.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:19 PM
Kriss E

RC...Don't care, he's gone next year. He can speak chinese for all I care.

PG...given his build up of defense and his handling of the coaching, he needs to get out. You cannot give such a guy a 2nd chance.

Markov...He hasn't played in like 2 years. If he blows his knee it'll be the same as the past two years. We also should be planning so that we don't rely on Markov so much, which goes back to part of why PG should be fired.

Gomez...If he's here again, that means we tanking again. A chance at McKinnon is a nightmare I'm very capable of living with.

Trade draft pick...Tough to know without knowing the return. Could be good, could be bad, could be horrible.

Answer is pretty obvious. PG has not even come close to earning an extension. Given the shape up of this team, it's pretty obvious that he is a reactionary GM without much vision. Gainey, hate or love him, at least had a plan and stuck to it. Gauthier is an absolute mystery and it makes people wonder if he even knows what he wants.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:52 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
My, aren't we a negative nancy. Apart from maybe Scott Howson, who is exactly worse than Gauthier?
Feaster - Calgary has no future to speak of
Lombardi - Cannot assemble a team despite tanking, despite making ridiculous moves, despite all the hype. Sucks at drafting.
Yzerman - So far he's been a no-hit wonder. All sizzle, no steak.
Burke - 4 or 5 years, no playoffs. Ridiculous Kessel deal, ridiculous contracts.
Snow - Islanders are a literal laughingstock.
Tambellini - Tanking, laughingstock of the west, no playoffs, no goalie, no defense.
Howson - He's been better than given credit for in my opinion but still much worse than Goat.
Polie - If they lose in the first round he's going to be crucified in my opnion. Otherwise he's done a fine job. His contract-giving is ridiculous. Rinne is not a 7/49 goalie.
Neiwendyke - Stupid Goligoski contract, stupid Neal trade to begin with.
Minnesota's GM - That team's a mess, almost ruined Burns' contract due to organizational idiocy.
Colorado - On a stiff downward angle, stupid Varlamov trade, tanking and still nowhere.

I literally think that Goat is better, more patient, more astute than all of them. And he hasn't abused our "deep-coffers" either. From now till July 1st, if he's not fired, will show if Goat is a good GM who was stuck with a ****** coach in Jacques or he's a mediocre GM.

JM didn't want O'Byrne, SKost, Lapierre and so on. JM preferred no-tough-guys, Pyatt, Darche, etc. As soon as JMs gone, thing start to change. Give them more than 4 months to change things, to hire a competent coach and you'll see that Goat's a way better GM than you chicken littles think.

So far I've been impressed with his draft choices, his very reasonable contracts to everyone, and yes, even his trades. Because no matter how you cut it, Kaberle > Spacek, and Kaberle will have value to some team, at some time much more than brittle, slow Spacek.

But seriously, wait till we abruptly stop this decade-long renewal for a ******, trigger-happy GM and see it all fall apart.

Old
03-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Lombardi - Cannot assemble a team despite tanking, despite making ridiculous moves, despite all the hype. Sucks at drafting.
Burke - 4 or 5 years, no playoffs. Ridiculous Kessel deal, ridiculous contracts.
Tambellini - Tanking, laughingstock of the west, no playoffs, no goalie, no defense.
Howson - He's been better than given credit for in my opinion but still much worse than Goat.
Polie - If they lose in the first round he's going to be crucified in my opnion. Otherwise he's done a fine job. His contract-giving is ridiculous. Rinne is not a 7/49 goalie.
Minnesota's GM - That team's a mess, almost ruined Burns' contract due to organizational idiocy.
Colorado - On a stiff downward angle, stupid Varlamov trade, tanking and still nowhere.

I literally think that Goat is better, more patient, more astute than all of them. And he hasn't abused our "deep-coffers" either. From now till July 1st, if he's not fired, will show if Goat is a good GM who was stuck with a ****** coach in Jacques or he's a mediocre GM.

JM didn't want O'Byrne, SKost, Lapierre and so on. JM preferred no-tough-guys, Pyatt, Darche, etc. As soon as JMs gone, thing start to change. Give them more than 4 months to change things, to hire a competent coach and you'll see that Goat's a way better GM than you chicken littles think.

So far I've been impressed with his draft choices, his very reasonable contracts to everyone, and yes, even his trades. Because no matter how you cut it, Kaberle > Spacek, and Kaberle will have value to some team, at some time much more than brittle, slow Spacek.

But seriously, wait till we abruptly stop this decade-long renewal for a ******, trigger-happy GM and see it all fall apart.
I can't believe you'd have Poile on that list.

I'd agree with Feaster, Howson, Tambellini. Snow has an infamous **** owner behind him. He's found some gems in Parenteau, Moulson, Grabner without giving up assets. Don't look now but the Avs are tied for 8th in the West. The guy has balls for sure but none of his moves has backfired yet.

What the heck has Gauthier done to deserve such praise? If trading Cammalleri and for Kaberle isn't 'trigger-happy' what is? Give me an example here of what you are fearing from our hypothetical new GM.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:17 PM
Shadyone33

A few things that scare me are:

1. We go on some crazy winning streak to end the year.
2. If we don't go on a streak and we get shafted in the lottery. I'd hate to have the 2nd ranked pick and end up with the 4th/5th.
3. Markov returning this year and having an injury to either knee.
4. The Habs not getting rid of the GM/coach the day after the regular season. I think the quicker we get rid of Gauthier the better. You want to give the new guy maximum time to bring in his guy(s) to prepare for the draft/free agency.
5. Someone forgets to buy out/get rid of Gomez.

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

Feaster, Newy and Snow have crazy ownership issues... nothing they can do about it. Yzerman is too new to judge. Poile has no business being on this list. Lombardi actually had a great team ready to go and then blew it with silly moves this year (Richards and Carter for prospects) so he probably deserves the boot too. As much as I wouldn't have traded for Varlamov, he's so hot he might just get them into the playoffs.

No matter how you slice it PG belongs at or near the bottom on the list of GMs in the NHL. Is he the absolute worst? Maybe not.(Howson is awful and Tambellini doesn't impress.) But he's not good.

And while it's nice of you to try to compare him to the worst GMs how does he stack up against the best?

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 03-07-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:27 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

With the second overall pick in the NHL Entry draft, the Montreal canadiens are proud to select, from the QMJHL, Halifax Moosehead forward, Nathan MacKinnon!

Uh, Pierre... He isn't eligible until next year's draft

Hey, Geoff, Wana trade the pick + **Insert player name** for rights to Zach Parise?

T TU VRAIMENT SI INCOMPETANT QUE SA?

My answer in a story of pictures & words... Drafting a player that could be the next Alexandre Daigle or trading it away for the wrong value

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Fair to say if management is not cleared out - especially Gauthier and Gainey - I will not be a very happy person come next season. Markov blowing out a knee, I've grown used to the idea of not having him in the line-up. Gomez still with the Habs hurts, but if he spends it on the fourth line, dumping the puck into the offensive zone for guys like White, Blunden, Moen, Staubitz to crash the body, I'll be happy. Cunneyworth sort of writes itself out if a new GM is announced as new GM = new head coach in my opinion. A trade could work for or against the Habs, so it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote