HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Movin on up

Old
03-07-2012, 11:25 PM
Sabrendo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Wow!!! That is exactly what I was thinking, but too lazy to type it

I go to 10-11 regular season games a year and that's exactly what I see. Young idiots texting on the phones. I also see men who bring their wives or GF's and the women bring a book or Kindle and read WHILE the game is happening.

Are you that freaking important that you MUST look at your phone and text every 45 seconds? I wish the Sabres could jam data streams at FNC across all networks so only phone call frequencies work.

I get how that's annoying but I really don't think it has anything to do with the crowd being quiet at FNC. People have those phones in every building in the NHL. I think it's more that collectively as a fan base people don't believe in this team ("the core" or whatever) or see them taking us very far. They've been trying to for the last five years or so with more or less the same results. So I think, maybe subconsciously people just don't really feel much to get excited about and that expresses itself in a quiet building.

Sabrendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:32 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
I definitely will be at more games, just not sure which ones specifically yet. Depends on how things are for me in regards to school. Should be going to Colorado next week as they're my second favorite team, always like to see them and I'm on spring break next week. We just got season tickets this year in 308, row 2 and we also split season tickets in 107 on the aisle, our family gets 8 or so games there as well.
My wife and I will be there for the Avs game and the Wild game. We are section 320 row 7. You should swing by and say hey.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:34 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrendo View Post
I get how that's annoying but I really don't think it has anything to do with the crowd being quiet at FNC. People have those phones in every building in the NHL. I think it's more that collectively as a fan base people don't believe in this team ("the core" or whatever) or see them taking us very far. They've been trying to for the last five years or so with more or less the same results. So I think, maybe subconsciously people just don't really feel much to get excited about and that expresses itself in a quiet building.
That may be true, but it's only part of the reason or problem. Believe me, it's bad with the texting idiots. And the book readers.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:34 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
My wife and I will be there for the Avs game and the Wild game. We are section 320 row 7. You should swing by and say hey.
Alright, if I attend either I will post it somewhere ahead of time or send you a PM. You can be the first person I meet from HF in real life .

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:43 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
yeah I don't want to jinx it, but used in a limited role he's been effective. He's been a decent bottom pairing guy so far.
I'll take his RELATIVE stability and more physical presence over the fleeting glimpses of offensive results Grags showed.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:50 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Good:
•*2 points!!!
•*Leino - playing with intensity that he lacked most of the year
•*Kaleta - playing his best hockey of his career
•*Vanek - I'm shocked, but he really looked pretty good
•*Poms - clutch OT goal and pretty solid all-around game
•*Myers (when he wasn't falling down)
•*Stafford - looks intense and physical again - playing the inside game
•*Sulzer - got to give him props. Played way better than I ever hoped, and picked good spots to pinch
•*Dominant stretches where we looked like we were on extended power plays

Bad:
•*Dominant stretches where we looked like we were on extended power plays but still couldn't score. Time for some new pipes after tonight. Give Ward some credit too. He got peppered.
• Crowd - I agree that it's been weak. I'm jealous of Winnipeg. I haven't lived in Buffalo since the 90's, but the Aud was always rocking

Ugly:
•*Roderic Jean Brind'Amour - I never get tired of that one ; )

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:55 AM
BrodieBruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrendo View Post
This is exactly the problem. People on their phones is being blown out of proportion. Its not like 10,000 people are all doing that instead of paying attention to the game or cheering.

BrodieBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:58 AM
dire wolf
be cool

The phone thing is annoying in general. It is not unique to Sabres games. While not the problem, per se, I do think the current culture of distraction/multi-tasking/short attention span does contribute to a less involved crowd. Oh hey, look - a squirrel!

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 02:45 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
jbuds "leino doesn't go in the corners"
I 'd myself. Nice. Just finished watching - Leino went into the corners again (6 games in a row!) and for the second game in a row, played like a man possessed. He has been solid for a good stretch now, but these past two games have been at a whole different level. If this continues, I'll say this is what we paid for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
I know it's a really tough position and he is going to play and in all honesty he IS above anyone else on the depth chart.

Guy just frustrates the piss out of me and I wish this weren't the case. lol
I thought he (Weber) looked good tonight. The unit looks noticeably shakier sans Sekera, and no, I'm not being dramatic. He is with Ehrhoff in terms of "anytime" minutes.

The noticeable uglies were Royes. Derek and Brad both played like ****. I would love to bet somebody that we finish in ninth at season's end.

Ennis looked good, so did Gerbe. Tropp was effective in his limited minutes IMO and Staff was better.

------------------------

We suck at the dots. Need to improve faceoffs as a team. Wingers included, since we get tossed an awful lot.

Last edited by jBuds: 03-08-2012 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Identify whebbre
jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 02:49 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Crowd was noticeably quiet IMO. Didn't catch too many LGB chants. I had the Canes feed, though, so I won't rush to assume.

Tripp was blown away by the "resiliency" of this Canes team tonight in some way. He kept saying "they missed their 5on3 chance and yet they are still in this game!" as if it weren't a tie score.

#caniac

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 05:23 AM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roymustgo View Post
I'd love to, but I no longer live in WNY. I'm just shocked at how tame First Niagara Center is all the time now.

I was in that building for the Derek Plante OT playoff win against Ottawa whenever that was. Anyone else there that night? The atmosphere was beyond electric with "USA" chants going, a depiction of the American Flag waving on the jumbo tron, chants going back and forth between Ottawa fans in our building and Sabres fans...

You couldn't ask for more than what we had in there that night. If that was a 10 out of 10, almost all home games this year have been a 1.5 out of 10. There was a home game on a Friday night against the Leafs earlier in the year where the crowd was going nuts. And the first Bruins reunion after the Lucic incident saw a lively crowd. I don't recall much more than that to be honest this entire year.

WTF?
........ is everyone really going to just sit there and accept a comparison of a game 7 playoff overtime goal for the first playoff series win in four years to a regular season game?

Or to Winnipeg, which got a team back THIS season after 15 years without one? These are the levels of comparison? Yikes

The crowd has sucked in the regular season since 2008-09. It steps up in the playoffs, and IMO that's what counts.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 05:27 AM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
The phone thing is annoying in general. It is not unique to Sabres games. While not the problem, per se, I do think the current culture of distraction/multi-tasking/short attention span does contribute to a less involved crowd. Oh hey, look - a squirrel!
These darned kids these days with their cell phones and long hair and rock music....

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 06:16 AM
HiddenInLight

Last time I sat behind some lady reading a book, I "accidently" spilled my drink all over her book when she left it under her seat directly in front of me....oh the dirty look I received.....and that was during a playoff game last year....sorry but the only sport you can get away with reading at the game is baseball.....of course I'm not as bad as a few people I know of that spill beer "accidently" on the person reading.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 06:39 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
........ is everyone really going to just sit there and accept a comparison of a game 7 playoff overtime goal for the first playoff series win in four years to a regular season game?

Or to Winnipeg, which got a team back THIS season after 15 years without one? These are the levels of comparison? Yikes

The crowd has sucked in the regular season since 2008-09. It steps up in the playoffs, and IMO that's what counts.
Vancouver and the Shark tank were rocking when we were there. It's no question our barn is very quiet.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 08:17 AM
CrankyJay

Time to get some real fans in there.

Maybe we need a Canadian chant like "Go Swords Go!" or "Go Sabres Go!"

Part of the problem is half the people there are children or are older than dirt.

Fans should have to audition for season tickets. LOL.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 08:22 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Why does Hodgson's skating suck so bad?!!? Hopefully he works on it a lot this summer because he looks like a clown when he's trying to accelerate.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 08:26 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
Time to get some real fans in there.

Maybe we need a Canadian chant like "Go Swords Go!" or "Go Sabres Go!"

Part of the problem is half the people there are children or are older than dirt.

Fans should have to audition for season tickets. LOL.
I will physically assault anyone in my building who tries to start a GO SWORDS GO chant.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 08:33 AM
omglolnub

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrynealesgarden View Post
these darned kids these days with their cell phones and long hair and rock music....

the kids listen to the rap, which gives them the brain damage...

Last edited by omglolnub: 03-08-2012 at 08:42 AM.
omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 08:38 AM
Endless

Yeah phone thing is pretty terrible not just at sporting events now but everywhere...its sad to see people addicted to cell phones/facebook like a heroin or crack addict is :\

Endless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 08:38 AM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

I'm all for Hodgson, but what mindset does it put Adam in knowing he's just as good and got benched after being a YoungStar!? Adam IMO is on par with Hodgson just that Hodgson was on a much much better team where he was able to stand out in Vancouver.

imyourhuckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 08:42 AM
omglolnub

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Last time I sat behind some lady reading a book, I "accidently" spilled my drink all over her book when she left it under her seat directly in front of me....oh the dirty look I received.....and that was during a playoff game last year....sorry but the only sport you can get away with reading at the game is baseball.....of course I'm not as bad as a few people I know of that spill beer "accidently" on the person reading.
I'd normally call that sort of thing a dick Philadelphia move, but reading at a sporting event? Really? Why go? I get some ladies feel dragged along by their husbands/boyfriends, but ****, if that's how you're going to be, why bother? At least pretend to be interested for the one game and then say afterwards, "You know, no offense, hockey games aren't my thing. Sorry." I could continue, but if I do, I'll just end up sounding all sorts of myogynistic

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 08:49 AM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

No more Aud crowds... too bad.

Now it's the Fly by Night brigade.

SuperNintendoChalmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 08:49 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by imyourhuckleberry View Post
I'm all for Hodgson, but what mindset does it put Adam in knowing he's just as good and got benched after being a YoungStar!? Adam IMO is on par with Hodgson just that Hodgson was on a much much better team where he was able to stand out in Vancouver.
Hodgson is twice the player Adam is.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 09:33 AM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Good:

1. That Gaustad is no longer on the team. It seems the lines are more balanced, and I like the team better late in games with him gone. They also seem to be faster on the ice, and more of a transition team. IMO, they seem to be better off without him.

2. Hodgson. Young kid just got traded and has been all over the continent over the last 10 days AND he still is centering our top line over that time. That line is having chances galore. It wouldn't surprise me to see a stretch with a couple multiple point games soon.

3. 10. He's really all over the ice, in a good way.

4. 36. Ok, I'm nit his biggest fan, esp since the headbutts but he really has been playing solid hockey as of late. Again, I wonder if the Gaustad thing effected some of these guys positively.

Bad:

1. Ruutuu. He did have 3 penalties, right?

Ugly:

Nothing. We needed a win, we got it.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 09:37 AM
PanicItsVanek26

What the hell was Weber doing on the canes second goal?

The crowd is pathetic.

PanicItsVanek26 is offline   Reply With Quote