HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Interesting Info: Part XII (All Jackets-related "tidbits" in here)

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2012, 09:08 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
Not sure if it's meaningful. For the past few days, CBJ Dispatch stories that would normally be filed by Aaron Portzline have come from Bill Rabinowitz. Rabinowitz is a long time general sports reporter who has handled odds and ends and filled in at the Dispatch when staffers have moved on.

Meaningful or just normal absence?
Apparently Porty got really really sick on the Colorado road trip and has been on the IR since.

Old
03-08-2012, 09:19 AM
squarelaces

I haven't seen this mentioned before, Rimmer's house is for sale.

Old
03-08-2012, 09:23 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarelaces View Post
I haven't seen this mentioned before, Rimmer's house is for sale.
Somebody better find out his contract length so we can whip ourselves into a frenzy over this.

For example:
Next year George won't be on the radio

Rimer won't be on TV?

Old
03-08-2012, 09:38 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Last season, the Blue Jackets’ local television ratings plunged 22.7 percent compared with the previous year, one of the largest drops of all 22 National Hockey League teams. The broadcast team, including television announcers Jeff Rimer and Bill Davidge, were brought back for another season but their contracts expire at the end of the year, Hoepfner said.

“Our broadcast team is in contract through the end of the year,” he said. “We’ll be addressing that as we go forward at the end of the season.”
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/...-with-fox.html

Old
03-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Skraut

Hmmm, maybe I'll watch the CBJ feed next season instead of tuning into the away feed every game (unless we're playing Boston that is)

Old
03-08-2012, 10:29 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
Interesting. I've "enjoyed" Rimer's stay, but can't say he's the type of announcer that I want to hear for decades. Let's see what happens. As much as I have grown tired of Rimer and BD, I can't say that they are responsible for a 22%+ drop in ratings.

Old
03-08-2012, 10:37 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Interesting. I've "enjoyed" Rimer's stay, but can't say he's the type of announcer that I want to hear for decades. Let's see what happens. As much as I have grown tired of Rimer and BD, I can't say that they are responsible for a 22%+ drop in ratings.
Nope, but it is stale when you listen to a bunch of out of market games. The level of hockey discussion is far better with some other teams. When is the last time we've heard a saucer pass described in any way on a FSO broadcast, or keys to the game that aren't ambiguous?

I know Davidge knows hockey, I've heard him speak in person where he shares a level of knowledge we never hear on TV. I have no idea why. Both are nice guys, but a change wouldn't end my world. Move Bill back to radio or something and try mcgellegiot (sp) on tv or whatever. Just don't F with Matthews. Love that guy.

Anyway, one thing they may be responsible for are season ticket sales. I know I'd rather be at the Nat than hear those guys 41 extra times a season

Old
03-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Skraut

Quote:
When is the last time we've heard a saucer pass described in any way on a FSO broadcast, or keys to the game that aren't ambiguous?
AWESOME point. My wife and I watched Saturday's game on the FSNAZ feed and she specifically asked me what a Saucer pass was, as she had never heard Rimer mention it.

So naturally I went out on the back porch on my synthetic ice, and showed her exactly what a saucer pass was not.

Old
03-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Nope, but it is stale when you listen to a bunch of out of market games. The level of hockey discussion is far better with some other teams. When is the last time we've heard a saucer pass described in any way on a FSO broadcast, or keys to the game that aren't ambiguous?

I know Davidge knows hockey, I've heard him speak in person where he shares a level of knowledge we never hear on TV. I have no idea why. Both are nice guys, but a change wouldn't end my world. Move Bill back to radio or something and try mcgellegiot (sp) on tv or whatever. Just don't F with Matthews. Love that guy.

Anyway, one thing they may be responsible for are season ticket sales. I know I'd rather be at the Nat than hear those guys 41 extra times a season
So you're frustrated with ther low level of hockey info on the TV broadcast but you're OK with having no idea where the puck is or who has it when you're listening to radio?

Old
03-08-2012, 10:58 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
So you're frustrated with ther low level of hockey info on the TV broadcast but you're OK with having no idea where the puck is or who has it when you're listening to radio?
On radio, it's all about the delivery for me. What I don't know doesn't hurt me.

Old
03-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Skraut

Quote:
whoneedstoknowwherethepuckiswhenitsoundssoexciting shotSAVEMADE!REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEBOUND

Old
03-08-2012, 11:01 AM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Are Rimer and the team $500,000 apart on contract value?

I've said all along that I like Rimer, if for nothing else than that he's probably forgotten more hockey knowledge than this fan will ever know. My question would be who replaces him. Short of Joe Beninati (CSN-DC, been missing him this year on Versus/NBC SN), Rick Peckham (Sun Sports, Tampa), John Forslund (FSN Carolina, with the franchise since the Hartford days) or Dave Strader (ex-Phoenix, now with NBC), I can't think of anybody that sticks out as somebody I'd want to listen to 75-80 times a year.

Davidge is good on the radio, as he complements what George does. George calls the play, often excited as is his trademark, and Bill would recap what just went on in case you went "Ok, what did George say?" or "What happened? I missed it!". It doesn't seem to work as well on TV. Put him back on the radio if you're making changes and find somewhere for McElligott, as he's not bad in his own right.

Old
03-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
My question would be who replaces him

It's a shame he'll never leave after taking over for the legendary Joe Tait, but he was awesome calling Lake Erie Monsters games

Old
03-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
On radio, it's all about the delivery for me. What I don't know doesn't hurt me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
whoneedstoknowwherethepuckiswhenitsoundssoexciting shotSAVEMADE!REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEBOUND
For me, on radio, all I want to know is where the puck is and what's happening on ice. On TV, I can see for myself. But George doesn't really so much help in the telling me what's happening on-ice. I enjoyed his enthusiasm at first, but it's lost on me now.

Old
03-08-2012, 11:20 AM
blahblah

Quote:
So naturally I went out on the back porch on my synthetic ice, and showed her exactly what a saucer pass was not.
Great story. I bet your saucer pass is better than mine...

Old
03-08-2012, 11:21 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Quote:
Great exchange. I admit having some frustration with GM in that I am always "on my toes", when I know the play is probably boring as hell. There is no where to go, you don't get a feel for what is happening on the ice.

Having said that, he isn't boring.

Old
03-08-2012, 11:26 AM
jdhebner
HFBoards Sponsor

I may be ultra hard core and very old fashioned, but nothing beats a great radio play by play performance (Gene Hart when he was in in prime for example) except seeing the game live. I do like the high definition TV broadcasts as I make about 1 live game every 3 years because of my isolation; but more often than not, the announcers are a distraction.

03-08-2012, 11:28 AM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Carter Interview about his time in Columbus, and leaving Columbus

http://lakingsinsider.com/2012/03/07...medium=twitter

Old
03-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Matt Foley
That's right, Edna

I was spoiled rotten as a kid, getting to listen to Bruce Martyn call Red Wings games and Ernie Harwell calling Tigers games. Either guy could easily describe the game in a way that you could picture it happening in your mind.

The color guy in this broadcast is Sid Abel from the famed Production Line of Howe, Lindsay, and Abel:

Edit: As much as I like George Matthews the person, I much prefer a different, more descriptive, style of play by play.

Last edited by Matt Foley: 03-08-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old
03-08-2012, 12:34 PM
squarelaces

Quote:

It's a shame he'll never leave after taking over for the legendary Joe Tait, but he was awesome calling Lake Erie Monsters games
Skraut are you baiting me with that picture???

I must admit I'm chuckling right now. But unless I break down, I'll spare everybody the thread. For now.

Old
03-08-2012, 12:45 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
Are Rimer and the team $500,000 apart on contract value?

I've said all along that I like Rimer, if for nothing else than that he's probably forgotten more hockey knowledge than this fan will ever know. My question would be who replaces him. Short of Joe Beninati (CSN-DC, been missing him this year on Versus/NBC SN), Rick Peckham (Sun Sports, Tampa), John Forslund (FSN Carolina, with the franchise since the Hartford days) or Dave Strader (ex-Phoenix, now with NBC), I can't think of anybody that sticks out as somebody I'd want to listen to 75-80 times a year.

Davidge is good on the radio, as he complements what George does. George calls the play, often excited as is his trademark, and Bill would recap what just went on in case you went "Ok, what did George say?" or "What happened? I missed it!". It doesn't seem to work as well on TV. Put him back on the radio if you're making changes and find somewhere for McElligott, as he's not bad in his own right.
I kind of like Joe Bowen in Toronto "HOLY MACKINAW" and Dave Schreiber in Ottawa "KOWA- WOWA BUUNGA!"

Old
03-08-2012, 03:33 PM
EspenK

I always liked Gary Thorne & Bill Clement on ESPN-last I saw Clement he was broadcasting badminton I believe from the last Summer Olympics. Apparently Thorne is now the voice of the Baltimore Orioles. Well, since the jackets don't make the playoffs he could be free by the second week of the season.(well, at least this year) Now that Brian Engbloom is traveling all over the continent for NBCSports maybe his wife would let him come to Columbus 41 nights a year.

Old
03-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I'm sure that not even his harshest critics here are surprised that Nash would be among the first to support this effort, his character and decency have never been questioned.

Yeah it seems things have cooled down a bit. I was worried he'd get "Foote'd" for a while.

Old
03-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Socks
SharkCat Knows

Quote:
One of my all-time favorite pictures. It's just beautiful.

I would be fine with Rims coming back. Billy's the one that drives me to the bottle.

Old
03-08-2012, 04:57 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Anybody still have a Carter jersey? Want to make it a JMFJ jersey for FREE?

Quote:
TONIGHT ONLY!

The FOX Sports Ohio Blue Line at Nationwide Arena and the Blue Jackets are hosting a jersey makeover. Bring your Jeff Carter jersey to the team store tonight by the end of the first period and we’ll change the nameplate to Jack Johnson for FREE! Quantities are limited based on jersey type (home, away or third).

Closed Thread