HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread pt. II

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2012, 09:55 AM
Lyndon Slewidge

vCash: 500
If you guys need a less offensive morning show there is always Magic 100

Old
03-06-2012, 10:08 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndon Slewidge View Post
If you guys need a less offensive morning show there is always Magic 100
Lateral move at best.

I'm as offended by TGOR's awful programming (really? An hour reading emails? That makes for good radio these days?) as I am by Magic 100's awful music.

At least if I listen to Magic 100, I can listen to some long-forgotten, awful garbage song from 1993, close my eyes, and pretend Stevie Y is still in his prime... still better programming than TGOR.

Old
03-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Upgrayedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
Really?

I heard the opposite, actually. A friend of mine works for a design firm, and sent me a sneak-peak of their new logo recently:

Actually read the new editor would be from the heart of t-dot of courseo not far off lol! Simply an online rumour so probably not much to it however ya never know!

Old
03-06-2012, 11:15 AM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Yeah what exactly did they even say this morning?

Old
03-06-2012, 11:38 AM
sens4life
CLASSLESS

I'll post exactly what they said at some point, but you can get it on the podcast where this subject was discussed after Pierre McGuire was on...the dicsussion was around bloggers and they said (generally speaking) while some bloggers work really hard, the message boards are filled with hatred and people who hide behind fake names.

While some of that is true, it's also completely dismissive of the majority of people, most of whom are dedicated LISTENERS of the Team 1200, who offer opinion and feedback on what they'd like to see on the show.

Old
03-06-2012, 12:45 PM
operasen

Anyone else hear the Offiside show last night. Was pretty good.

Talked about the business behind getting the OutDoor Games set up and marketed and their relationship with NBC and the New Year's Day slot.

Appatrently the guy they got to do the legwork was an ex-Clevland Browns exec and he's made the league over a billion (I think that's what was said) with these things.

Wish it was available as a web/podcast. I missed the ending.

Old
03-06-2012, 12:58 PM
PKC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post
Anyone else hear the Offiside show last night. Was pretty good.

Talked about the business behind getting the OutDoor Games set up and marketed and their relationship with NBC and the New Year's Day slot.

Appatrently the guy they got to do the legwork was an ex-Clevland Browns exec and he's made the league over a billion (I think that's what was said) with these things.

Wish it was available as a web/podcast. I missed the ending.
His name is John Collins and he's the COO of the NHL.

Here's a link to the Offside blog and there's a facebook link for the interview at the top of the page:

http://offsidesportsblog.blogspot.co...-coo-john.html

Old
03-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Decided to peek in on the TGOR video feed this morning. I know it's lame but those guys don't even care enough to adjust the camera. So you get the image centered on JR in the red sweater from the side and the edge of Steve's shoulder. The sound is also out of sync so it looks like JR's mouth is moving but you hear Steve's voice.

TGOR please if you read this: adjust your cameras or don't bother having a video feed. You're missing an opportunity, the fan590's Bob McCown turned a radio show into television viewing you could do the same on the internet if you polished it up and installed better cameras.

Old
03-06-2012, 03:41 PM
SelleckStache

vCash: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by sens4life View Post
I'll post exactly what they said at some point, but you can get it on the podcast where this subject was discussed after Pierre McGuire was on...the dicsussion was around bloggers and they said (generally speaking) while some bloggers work really hard, the message boards are filled with hatred and people who hide behind fake names.

While some of that is true, it's also completely dismissive of the majority of people, most of whom are dedicated LISTENERS of the Team 1200, who offer opinion and feedback on what they'd like to see on the show.
I agree.

The bolded line is the opinion I hear taken by a lot of people who quite frankly, don't understand. They like to paint everyone with the same brush. "Some gutless loser in his basement behind his parents computer who hides behind a anonymous identity". If that's the entitled opinion that they take, I guess that says a lot about what they think of their listeners.

Flip it around, if someone were to say something out of line, say a player sucks for instance in a sportsbar, what media personality would go out of their way to correct them? They're not faceless at that point but are just as anonymous.

All sports media members are just in it to sell newspapers and once they reach a certain level of notoriety could care less about the careers they can help and destroy. In the meantime, they just have to lick boots until they get to that level. See how that works?

Old
03-07-2012, 07:55 AM
CapitalCityGoofball

I listened to that station for many years, but about 2 years ago I finally had enough of what this poster stated succinctly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrayedd View Post
it's really getting frustrating especially when your in the car for 30-40 mins every morning and simply trying to get a rundown of the previous nights scores but all you get is lame contests, various soundbites, last nights non sports related tv take
The thing is, it's been the SAME contests, the SAME e-mailers, the SAME soundbites for 5 years! There is no effort or originality. That is one of the main problems IMO.

And the fact that they trash people who in some cases have offered constructive criticism here is an indication of their professionalism or lack thereof.

Old
03-07-2012, 09:26 AM
operasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKC View Post
His name is John Collins and he's the COO of the NHL.

Here's a link to the Offside blog and there's a facebook link for the interview at the top of the page:

http://offsidesportsblog.blogspot.co...-coo-john.html
Thanks for that; appreciate the link.

Old
03-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalCityGoofball View Post
I listened to that station for many years, but about 2 years ago I finally had enough of what this poster stated succinctly:

The thing is, it's been the SAME contests, the SAME e-mailers, the SAME soundbites for 5 years! There is no effort or originality. That is one of the main problems IMO.

And the fact that they trash people who in some cases have offered constructive criticism here is an indication of their professionalism or lack thereof.
Outside of the Pierre McGuire segment, TGOR is VERY LAME

Old
03-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Upgrayedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelleckStache View Post
I agree.

The bolded line is the opinion I hear taken by a lot of people who quite frankly, don't understand. They like to paint everyone with the same brush. "Some gutless loser in his basement behind his parents computer who hides behind a anonymous identity". If that's the entitled opinion that they take, I guess that says a lot about what they think of their listeners.

Flip it around, if someone were to say something out of line, say a player sucks for instance in a sportsbar, what media personality would go out of their way to correct them? They're not faceless at that point but are just as anonymous.

All sports media members are just in it to sell newspapers and once they reach a certain level of notoriety could care less about the careers they can help and destroy. In the meantime, they just have to lick boots until they get to that level. See how that works?
To be honest over the last 3-5 years i have found the online forums/ blogs have overtaken even the big tv sports networks for real sports info, i mean if you know how to seperate the quality content on here and other spots there's no denying the speed and amount of content offered up by many many posters! I honestly can't even remember the last time i read/saw anything in the paper or on tv, that hadnt been mentioned/broken here first! Keep it up folks love this site!

Old
03-07-2012, 09:38 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
Outside of the Pierre McGuire segment, TGOR is VERY LAME
Trying to give it a chance this morning. Currently listening to (what else?) listener emails.

Just... dear god. No. This is awful. Why would you ever willingly listen to this? Do these guys think they're funny? They can't possibly think they're funny.

This has to be some post-modern, tongue-in-cheek critique at modern radio. It's... There is no way they think what they're doing is at all entertaining. They're just taking the most annoying parts of the Jim Rome show, and building a show on it. And they're not even good at it, there's absolutely nothing redeeming about this program.

Old
03-07-2012, 09:44 AM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
Trying to give it a chance this morning. Currently listening to (what else?) listener emails.

Just... dear god. No. This is awful. Why would you ever willingly listen to this? Do these guys think they're funny? They can't possibly think they're funny.

This has to be some post-modern, tongue-in-cheek critique at modern radio. It's... There is no way they think what they're doing is at all entertaining. They're just taking the most annoying parts of the Jim Rome show, and building a show on it. And they're not even good at it, there's absolutely nothing redeeming about this program.
Like I said, Listen from 8:05-8:30... When Lee Versage makes your show look lame, its time to switch things up....

They have all these contests, jingles, etc and reading the email segment is embarrassing... Especially the fact that the same 3 "cool guys" have been emailing for 5 years.... Marko with a K, The Matrix, Manstretch Lou... These guys act surprised when somebody new emails in... I wonder why

Old
03-07-2012, 09:55 AM
Proust

Morning shows, in general, are terrible.

My friend is the afternoon guy at The Edge here in Toronto, so I have my dial set there, even though the music isn't good. Sometimes I accidently start listening to their morning show and just cannot understand how anyone over the age of 16 can choke down their vomit and keep listening.

Old
03-07-2012, 09:58 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

I listened to TGOR this morning for about 30 minutes before the horrendous email reading stretch....

One mention of the game last night...one. Then it was garbage about reacharounds and Gordie's lost voice.

TSN Radio can't come soon enough.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Melnyks Mirage
Too cheap to succeed

vCash: 1150
Quote:
Like I said, Listen from 8:05-8:30... When Lee Versage makes your show look lame, its time to switch things up....

They have all these contests, jingles, etc and reading the email segment is embarrassing... Especially the fact that the same 3 "cool guys" have been emailing for 5 years.... Marko with a K, The Matrix, Manstretch Lou... These guys act surprised when somebody new emails in... I wonder why
Exactly. I emailed one day with some opinion about prospects for the Senators and it was as if a chill had descended on the station. It's well past time that Team 1200 be run and hosted by professionals that will talk primarily about the local team, but also sports (read Hockey) in general instead of the bunk we get now. I should NOT have to listen to a TSN affiliate for a thorough sports take, but sadly...

Old
03-07-2012, 12:54 PM
One Gun Mitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
I listened to TGOR this morning for about 30 minutes before the horrendous email reading stretch....

One mention of the game last night...one. Then it was garbage about reacharounds and Gordie's lost voice.

AMEN to that, Brother.

Old
03-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Spex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens4life View Post

While some of it is true, let’s face it…radio and tv writers/reporters are a dying breed. So they are just trying to save their jobs.

Myself, for instance, I get most of my info from Twitter. I check out what’s trending, have a few saved hashtags (#OttNews, #OttTraffic, #CdnPoli, etc…) and that gives me a good glimpse of what’s going on. Sure, there are some people who post BS, but if 99% of the folks are tagging the same story with #OttNews, it’s usually true and a big story. You’d be surprised at the amount of stuff that explodes on Twitter that never makes it to a newspaper/radio/TV. Heck, I found out about the Occupy movement from Twitter about 2 months before I heard one “main stream” news organization report on it

So, when established tv and radio and newspaper reporters start bashing bloggers and tweeters, take it with a grain of salt…they’re just looking out for their own best interests

Old
03-08-2012, 07:16 AM
ollie

Dear lord... they're playing the national anthem blooper reel. Again. Just. Stop.

Old
03-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Upgrayedd

Quote:

Something tells me these self glossers are probably adult wrestling fans as well!

Old
03-09-2012, 05:54 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post

It would not make much of a difference.

Old
03-09-2012, 07:34 AM
Ohhh Franco

My biggest pet peeve with the Team 1200 lately has been that self glossing loser, The Wiz. Most annoying guy/segment on the station. I now flip stations at that time of the Healthy Scratches and dont go back...he's the worst!

Old
03-09-2012, 08:07 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohhh Franco View Post
My biggest pet peeve with the Team 1200 lately has been that self glossing loser, The Wiz. Most annoying guy/segment on the station. I now flip stations at that time of the Healthy Scratches and dont go back...he's the worst!
Self glosser? If anything, it's the regular on-air guys that pump his tires. He gets, quite literally, like 4 minutes of airtime/ day. I can't imagine someone on for 4 minutes a day riles you up that much.

I'm fine with Wiz... it's just trivia (which I love). Don't make a show out of the guy or anything, but he's fine in his ridiculously limited role.

On a scale of 1-100 (lowest-highest) of what's wrong with The Team, Wiz is like... a 2. TGOR is in the 80's.

Closed Thread