HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread pt. II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-06-2012, 09:55 AM
  #226
Lyndon Slewidge
Registered User
 
Lyndon Slewidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 279
vCash: 500
If you guys need a less offensive morning show there is always Magic 100

Lyndon Slewidge is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 10:08 AM
  #227
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndon Slewidge View Post
If you guys need a less offensive morning show there is always Magic 100
Lateral move at best.

I'm as offended by TGOR's awful programming (really? An hour reading emails? That makes for good radio these days?) as I am by Magic 100's awful music.

At least if I listen to Magic 100, I can listen to some long-forgotten, awful garbage song from 1993, close my eyes, and pretend Stevie Y is still in his prime... still better programming than TGOR.

BonkTastic is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 10:30 AM
  #228
Upgrayedd
Registered User
 
Upgrayedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
Really?

I heard the opposite, actually. A friend of mine works for a design firm, and sent me a sneak-peak of their new logo recently:

Actually read the new editor would be from the heart of t-dot of courseo not far off lol! Simply an online rumour so probably not much to it however ya never know!

Upgrayedd is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 11:15 AM
  #229
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it
 
WasTeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: in your head
Country: Equatorial Guinea
Posts: 14,572
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Yeah what exactly did they even say this morning?

WasTeD is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 11:38 AM
  #230
sens4life
CLASSLESS
 
sens4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kanata
Posts: 1,544
vCash: 500
I'll post exactly what they said at some point, but you can get it on the podcast where this subject was discussed after Pierre McGuire was on...the dicsussion was around bloggers and they said (generally speaking) while some bloggers work really hard, the message boards are filled with hatred and people who hide behind fake names.

While some of that is true, it's also completely dismissive of the majority of people, most of whom are dedicated LISTENERS of the Team 1200, who offer opinion and feedback on what they'd like to see on the show.

sens4life is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 12:45 PM
  #231
operasen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,310
vCash: 500
Anyone else hear the Offiside show last night. Was pretty good.

Talked about the business behind getting the OutDoor Games set up and marketed and their relationship with NBC and the New Year's Day slot.

Appatrently the guy they got to do the legwork was an ex-Clevland Browns exec and he's made the league over a billion (I think that's what was said) with these things.

Wish it was available as a web/podcast. I missed the ending.

operasen is online now  
Old
03-06-2012, 12:58 PM
  #232
PKC*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post
Anyone else hear the Offiside show last night. Was pretty good.

Talked about the business behind getting the OutDoor Games set up and marketed and their relationship with NBC and the New Year's Day slot.

Appatrently the guy they got to do the legwork was an ex-Clevland Browns exec and he's made the league over a billion (I think that's what was said) with these things.

Wish it was available as a web/podcast. I missed the ending.
His name is John Collins and he's the COO of the NHL.

Here's a link to the Offside blog and there's a facebook link for the interview at the top of the page:

http://offsidesportsblog.blogspot.co...-coo-john.html

PKC* is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 03:30 PM
  #233
Tundraman
GoneCountry
 
Tundraman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North
Posts: 5,630
vCash: 500
Decided to peek in on the TGOR video feed this morning. I know it's lame but those guys don't even care enough to adjust the camera. So you get the image centered on JR in the red sweater from the side and the edge of Steve's shoulder. The sound is also out of sync so it looks like JR's mouth is moving but you hear Steve's voice.

TGOR please if you read this: adjust your cameras or don't bother having a video feed. You're missing an opportunity, the fan590's Bob McCown turned a radio show into television viewing you could do the same on the internet if you polished it up and installed better cameras.

Tundraman is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 03:41 PM
  #234
SelleckStache
Registered User
 
SelleckStache's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,748
vCash: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by sens4life View Post
I'll post exactly what they said at some point, but you can get it on the podcast where this subject was discussed after Pierre McGuire was on...the dicsussion was around bloggers and they said (generally speaking) while some bloggers work really hard, the message boards are filled with hatred and people who hide behind fake names.

While some of that is true, it's also completely dismissive of the majority of people, most of whom are dedicated LISTENERS of the Team 1200, who offer opinion and feedback on what they'd like to see on the show.
I agree.

The bolded line is the opinion I hear taken by a lot of people who quite frankly, don't understand. They like to paint everyone with the same brush. "Some gutless loser in his basement behind his parents computer who hides behind a anonymous identity". If that's the entitled opinion that they take, I guess that says a lot about what they think of their listeners.

Flip it around, if someone were to say something out of line, say a player sucks for instance in a sportsbar, what media personality would go out of their way to correct them? They're not faceless at that point but are just as anonymous.

All sports media members are just in it to sell newspapers and once they reach a certain level of notoriety could care less about the careers they can help and destroy. In the meantime, they just have to lick boots until they get to that level. See how that works?

SelleckStache is offline  
Old
03-07-2012, 07:55 AM
  #235
CapitalCityGoofball
Registered User
 
CapitalCityGoofball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 296
vCash: 500
I listened to that station for many years, but about 2 years ago I finally had enough of what this poster stated succinctly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrayedd View Post
it's really getting frustrating especially when your in the car for 30-40 mins every morning and simply trying to get a rundown of the previous nights scores but all you get is lame contests, various soundbites, last nights non sports related tv take
The thing is, it's been the SAME contests, the SAME e-mailers, the SAME soundbites for 5 years! There is no effort or originality. That is one of the main problems IMO.

And the fact that they trash people who in some cases have offered constructive criticism here is an indication of their professionalism or lack thereof.

CapitalCityGoofball is offline  
Old
03-07-2012, 09:26 AM
  #236
operasen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKC View Post
His name is John Collins and he's the COO of the NHL.

Here's a link to the Offside blog and there's a facebook link for the interview at the top of the page:

http://offsidesportsblog.blogspot.co...-coo-john.html
Thanks for that; appreciate the link.

operasen is online now  
Old
03-07-2012, 09:28 AM
  #237
Legend Killer
Registered User
 
Legend Killer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalCityGoofball View Post
I listened to that station for many years, but about 2 years ago I finally had enough of what this poster stated succinctly:



The thing is, it's been the SAME contests, the SAME e-mailers, the SAME soundbites for 5 years! There is no effort or originality. That is one of the main problems IMO.

And the fact that they trash people who in some cases have offered constructive criticism here is an indication of their professionalism or lack thereof.
Outside of the Pierre McGuire segment, TGOR is VERY LAME

Legend Killer is offline  
Old
03-07-2012, 09:34 AM
  #238
Upgrayedd
Registered User
 
Upgrayedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelleckStache View Post
I agree.

The bolded line is the opinion I hear taken by a lot of people who quite frankly, don't understand. They like to paint everyone with the same brush. "Some gutless loser in his basement behind his parents computer who hides behind a anonymous identity". If that's the entitled opinion that they take, I guess that says a lot about what they think of their listeners.

Flip it around, if someone were to say something out of line, say a player sucks for instance in a sportsbar, what media personality would go out of their way to correct them? They're not faceless at that point but are just as anonymous.

All sports media members are just in it to sell newspapers and once they reach a certain level of notoriety could care less about the careers they can help and destroy. In the meantime, they just have to lick boots until they get to that level. See how that works?
To be honest over the last 3-5 years i have found the online forums/ blogs have overtaken even the big tv sports networks for real sports info, i mean if you know how to seperate the quality content on here and other spots there's no denying the speed and amount of content offered up by many many posters! I honestly can't even remember the last time i read/saw anything in the paper or on tv, that hadnt been mentioned/broken here first! Keep it up folks love this site!

Upgrayedd is offline  
Old
03-07-2012, 09:38 AM
  #239
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
Outside of the Pierre McGuire segment, TGOR is VERY LAME
Trying to give it a chance this morning. Currently listening to (what else?) listener emails.


Just... dear god. No. This is awful. Why would you ever willingly listen to this? Do these guys think they're funny? They can't possibly think they're funny.

This has to be some post-modern, tongue-in-cheek critique at modern radio. It's... There is no way they think what they're doing is at all entertaining. They're just taking the most annoying parts of the Jim Rome show, and building a show on it. And they're not even good at it, there's absolutely nothing redeeming about this program.

BonkTastic is offline  
Old
03-07-2012, 09:44 AM
  #240
Legend Killer
Registered User
 
Legend Killer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
Trying to give it a chance this morning. Currently listening to (what else?) listener emails.


Just... dear god. No. This is awful. Why would you ever willingly listen to this? Do these guys think they're funny? They can't possibly think they're funny.

This has to be some post-modern, tongue-in-cheek critique at modern radio. It's... There is no way they think what they're doing is at all entertaining. They're just taking the most annoying parts of the Jim Rome show, and building a show on it. And they're not even good at it, there's absolutely nothing redeeming about this program.
Like I said, Listen from 8:05-8:30... When Lee Versage makes your show look lame, its time to switch things up....

They have all these contests, jingles, etc and reading the email segment is embarrassing... Especially the fact that the same 3 "cool guys" have been emailing for 5 years.... Marko with a K, The Matrix, Manstretch Lou... These guys act surprised when somebody new emails in... I wonder why

Legend Killer is offline  
Old
03-07-2012, 09:55 AM
  #241
Proust
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,277
vCash: 500
Morning shows, in general, are terrible.

My friend is the afternoon guy at The Edge here in Toronto, so I have my dial set there, even though the music isn't good. Sometimes I accidently start listening to their morning show and just cannot understand how anyone over the age of 16 can choke down their vomit and keep listening.

Proust is online now  
Old
03-07-2012, 09:58 AM
  #242
ChocolateLeclaire
Registered User
 
ChocolateLeclaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,159
vCash: 500
I listened to TGOR this morning for about 30 minutes before the horrendous email reading stretch....

One mention of the game last night...one. Then it was garbage about reacharounds and Gordie's lost voice.

TSN Radio can't come soon enough.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline  
Old
03-07-2012, 12:07 PM
  #243
Melnyks Mirage
Too cheap to succeed
 
Melnyks Mirage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cumberland
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,192
vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
Like I said, Listen from 8:05-8:30... When Lee Versage makes your show look lame, its time to switch things up....

They have all these contests, jingles, etc and reading the email segment is embarrassing... Especially the fact that the same 3 "cool guys" have been emailing for 5 years.... Marko with a K, The Matrix, Manstretch Lou... These guys act surprised when somebody new emails in... I wonder why
Exactly. I emailed one day with some opinion about prospects for the Senators and it was as if a chill had descended on the station. It's well past time that Team 1200 be run and hosted by professionals that will talk primarily about the local team, but also sports (read Hockey) in general instead of the bunk we get now. I should NOT have to listen to a TSN affiliate for a thorough sports take, but sadly...

Melnyks Mirage is offline  
Old
03-07-2012, 12:54 PM
  #244
One Gun Mitty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 61
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
I listened to TGOR this morning for about 30 minutes before the horrendous email reading stretch....

One mention of the game last night...one. Then it was garbage about reacharounds and Gordie's lost voice.

TSN Radio can't come soon enough.

AMEN to that, Brother.

One Gun Mitty is offline  
Old
03-07-2012, 03:39 PM
  #245
Spex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sens4life View Post
I'll post exactly what they said at some point, but you can get it on the podcast where this subject was discussed after Pierre McGuire was on...the dicsussion was around bloggers and they said (generally speaking) while some bloggers work really hard, the message boards are filled with hatred and people who hide behind fake names.

While some of that is true, it's also completely dismissive of the majority of people, most of whom are dedicated LISTENERS of the Team 1200, who offer opinion and feedback on what they'd like to see on the show.
While some of it is true, let’s face it…radio and tv writers/reporters are a dying breed. So they are just trying to save their jobs.

Myself, for instance, I get most of my info from Twitter. I check out what’s trending, have a few saved hashtags (#OttNews, #OttTraffic, #CdnPoli, etc…) and that gives me a good glimpse of what’s going on. Sure, there are some people who post BS, but if 99% of the folks are tagging the same story with #OttNews, it’s usually true and a big story. You’d be surprised at the amount of stuff that explodes on Twitter that never makes it to a newspaper/radio/TV. Heck, I found out about the Occupy movement from Twitter about 2 months before I heard one “main stream” news organization report on it

So, when established tv and radio and newspaper reporters start bashing bloggers and tweeters, take it with a grain of salt…they’re just looking out for their own best interests

Spex is offline  
Old
03-08-2012, 07:16 AM
  #246
ollie
Registered User
 
ollie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 62
vCash: 500
Dear lord... they're playing the national anthem blooper reel. Again. Just. Stop.

ollie is offline  
Old
03-08-2012, 10:57 AM
  #247
Upgrayedd
Registered User
 
Upgrayedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
Like I said, Listen from 8:05-8:30... When Lee Versage makes your show look lame, its time to switch things up....

They have all these contests, jingles, etc and reading the email segment is embarrassing... Especially the fact that the same 3 "cool guys" have been emailing for 5 years.... Marko with a K, The Matrix, Manstretch Lou... These guys act surprised when somebody new emails in... I wonder why
Something tells me these self glossers are probably adult wrestling fans as well!

Upgrayedd is offline  
Old
03-09-2012, 05:54 AM
  #248
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
I listened to TGOR this morning for about 30 minutes before the horrendous email reading stretch....

One mention of the game last night...one. Then it was garbage about reacharounds and Gordie's lost voice.

TSN Radio can't come soon enough.
It would not make much of a difference.

wjhl2009fan is offline  
Old
03-09-2012, 07:34 AM
  #249
Ohhh Franco
Registered User
 
Ohhh Franco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,225
vCash: 500
My biggest pet peeve with the Team 1200 lately has been that self glossing loser, The Wiz. Most annoying guy/segment on the station. I now flip stations at that time of the Healthy Scratches and dont go back...he's the worst!

Ohhh Franco is online now  
Old
03-09-2012, 08:07 AM
  #250
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohhh Franco View Post
My biggest pet peeve with the Team 1200 lately has been that self glossing loser, The Wiz. Most annoying guy/segment on the station. I now flip stations at that time of the Healthy Scratches and dont go back...he's the worst!
Self glosser? If anything, it's the regular on-air guys that pump his tires. He gets, quite literally, like 4 minutes of airtime/ day. I can't imagine someone on for 4 minutes a day riles you up that much.

I'm fine with Wiz... it's just trivia (which I love). Don't make a show out of the guy or anything, but he's fine in his ridiculously limited role.

On a scale of 1-100 (lowest-highest) of what's wrong with The Team, Wiz is like... a 2. TGOR is in the 80's.

BonkTastic is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.