HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our PP = early PO exit

Old
03-07-2012, 09:59 PM
SkerZ
LGR

vCash: 500
Our PP = early PO exit

Let me say I love what the teams done so far this season, but how in the hell do we expect to make a serious run with our pp. I feel like it has become pretty clear that it is not the on ice personell, rather the pp coach Mr. Sully..
From Ales Kotalik to Brian McCabe to Brad Richards and Anton Stralman the sought after "quarterback" has been the cop out for some time now, am I crazy or do we need someone else to step in here..... Discuss

SkerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:00 PM
SnowblindNYR

I don't think the PP will be the sole reason. The Bruins PP stunk in the playoffs last year.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Let me ask the Bruins

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Let me ask the Bruins
Thank you...Bruins scored 0 pp goals in the 1st round last year. 14th out of 16 playoff teams overall in the playoffs on the power play.

An early exit will be because of stupid turnovers and sloppy play in the neutral and defensive zone like the last couple of games.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Dorado*

Last night KOVY and Elias made a give and go in the PP that was magic , thankfully Henke made the save but that's the type of movement and passing the NYR PP lacks .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:13 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

If the PP was working they'd have another 5 wins by this point and not have to worry about Pittsburgh breathing down their throat.

A lot of the problem is not having a big bomb from the point that teams have to respect, and a lot of it is structure.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:28 PM
SkerZ
LGR

I guess I should have titled the thread differently, what I was going for was more of a discussion on the power play being putrid and biting us in the ass unless it's fixed. I do not believe no matter what Boston did last year the Rangers can win with the pp doin what they've been doing. The Rangers need to get the pp going to make life a whole lot easier in the post season. The way we play all season long blocking shots and grinding away leaves a tired team, I think if the pp gets goin we have a lot bigger of a shot in the po's.

SkerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:40 PM
broadwayblue

I absolutely agree. Not convinced we have enough offense to shoot blanks on the PP and be very successful in the post season. Sure hope I'm wrong.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:45 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Last night KOVY and Elias made a give and go in the PP that was magic , thankfully Henke made the save but that's the type of movement and passing the NYR PP lacks .
That was much more of a fluke than a common event on our PP

I think you can combine the Rangers and Devils and still have an overall terrible powerplay. Absolutely ridiculous how horrid both teams are on the PP with the talent they have..

That was a monster save by Lundqvist too.. best of the night IMO (better than the Clarkson wraparound). Pivotal moment of the game too, right before the end of the 1st you really don't want to give up a late goal to go down 2-0.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:46 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
If the PP was working they'd have another 5 wins by this point and not have to worry about Pittsburgh breathing down their throat.

A lot of the problem is not having a big bomb from the point that teams have to respect, and a lot of it is structure.
When have I heard this before? Oh right, every year. And every time we've gotten someone with a big shot, it has done very little to improve the PP.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:10 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
When have I heard this before? Oh right, every year. And every time we've gotten someone with a big shot, it has done very little to improve the PP.
Who is the big shot though? Richards? He seems like more of a playmaker. His shot isn't as respected. When a guy like Chara winds up, there's this expectation that a bomb is being unleashed. Teams respect that, cover him, and therefore other guys are open. Richards needs to shoot more and Del Z do more of the passing or vice versa.

The last guy on the Rangers to even try and bomb it from the point other than Roszival for like 3 weeks last season was Maxim Kondratiev in 2005 Training Camp.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:46 PM
NYRKING30

all that matters to me in the playoffs is that we score at the times when we need to is what counts. i don't wanna bank on the bruins last year as history always doesn't repeat itself. if they score on the pp when they need a goal the most, thats what matters.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:55 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
If this team can fix it's turnovers and improve to adequate passing, we won't need a good PP.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:59 AM
arunnair87

Honestly if we played as we did 5 on 5 when we were on the powerplay, we would be fine. When we go up a man, it seems to me like we become lazy and stop trying. No one moves and everyone is looking for a pass lane, but no one is open because no one is moving.

arunnair87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:07 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

The problem is structure and philosophy.

Its quite simple and very embarrassing that Sullivan and Tortorella don't realize this.

Every single PP, if we do manage to get control of the puck in their zone, we immediately send a guy to park his ass in front of the net. He doesn't move. He just stays there. All that does is turn a 5 on 4 into a 4 on 4 plus one guy standing in front of the goalie. He's not a legit passing option because he's right on top of the crease. (note: this guy is usually Callahan on the first unit). We have just forfeited the entire advantage of having the powerplay. The defenders don't need to cover him. They don't have to worry about him until/unless a shot actually gets through and there's a rebound sitting there.

Solution: DON'T AUTOMATICALLY PARK A PLAYER IN FRONT OF THE NET. Two of the low forwards need to swing in and out of the slot. Criss-cross. Weave. Rotate as the puck moves from high to low. Slide into the high slot when the puck goes from the point down to the half-wall. It's not about being in front of the net. It's about WHEN YOU ARRIVE THERE.

Because of this, other teams easily pressure us because it's really just a 4 on 4. We don't take advantage of the extra man. It's that simple and that incredibly pathetic that Sullivan still has a job.

There are other problems with the PP as well, such as Gaborik not being a good half-wall player, and Del Zotto refusing to shoot, but the aforementioned flaw is the main reason why our powerplay isnt even close to being AVERAGE. This is simply unacceptable. Do they honestly practice the powerplay during practice and think they're doing good work? It's truly baffling how incompetent this one aspect of coaching has been for two full years now.

In my opinion, Gaborik should play one of the points, or be one of the low forwards sliding in and out through the seams in the slot, while Richards should be in Gabby's current spot on the half-wall so he can actually distribute the puck to Gaborik as he's finding the open lane. Richards has fewer creative options from the point. If he's on the half-wall, he can go down low, back to one of the point men, or through the middle if Gaborik and whoever else's rotation/cutting opens up that center seam.

Stepan and Richards should be opposite eachother on the half-walls. Let Gaborik slide and juke through the high slot / down low / etc. Del Zotto at one point, and Girardi/Staal/Stralman at the other. It's not a necessity to have 4 forwards on a PP unit, but you'd think it was a new NHL rule if you've watched the rangers this year.

The 2nd powerplay unit can be

Callahan and Dubinsky opposite eachother on the half-walls, with Hagelin sliding in and out of space through the opening seams. McDonagh at one point and Staal/Girardi/Stralman at the other.

It's not rocket science. Watch any good teams powerplay. They don't just rush to park a guy in front of the goalie for 2 minutes. That does nothing but eliminate the extra man. They have constant movement and rotation through the slot to confuse defenders and constantly change who the OPEN MAN is while the puck movement simultaneously changes the point of attack.

Anyone have Sullvan's email address?

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 07:59 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Every single PP, if we do manage to get control of the puck in their zone, we immediately send a guy to park his ass in front of the net. He doesn't move. He just stays there. All that does is turn a 5 on 4 into a 4 on 4 plus one guy standing in front of the goalie. He's not a legit passing option because he's right on top of the crease. (note: this guy is usually Callahan on the first unit). We have just forfeited the entire advantage of having the powerplay. The defenders don't need to cover him. They don't have to worry about him until/unless a shot actually gets through and there's a rebound sitting there.

Solution: DON'T AUTOMATICALLY PARK A PLAYER IN FRONT OF THE NET.
Successful power plays do screen the goalie. There are other issues at work here that results in PP failure.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 08:18 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

People post "BOSTON BOSTON BOSTON" every time this comes up like its the rule rather than an exception.

If we had the balanced scoring that Boston had we could survive without a PP.

We don't. IF we had a somewhat decent PP we'd be a truly dangerous team because other teams would think twice about taking a penalty in the first place. As it is now they think if they take a penalty it'll kill any momentum we have and swing it the other way.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 08:21 AM
NYR Viper

The problem is skill. They lack it. They are TOO structured and I believe that to be the problem.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 08:24 AM
blue2noise

It would also would be nice if we take advantage of the new rule and actually win the first offensive zone draw for the power play. It's almost like an automatic clear to start every single power play.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 08:48 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
The problem is skill. They lack it. They are TOO structured and I believe that to be the problem.
Gaborik/Richards/Cally/DZ/Steps should be more than enough skill though. There are teams with more successful PPs with less skill than that. As far as the 2nd unit lacking skill, I agree with you 100% there.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 08:58 AM
TRC
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Gaborik/Richards/Cally/DZ/Steps should be more than enough skill though. There are teams with more successful PPs with less skill than that. As far as the 2nd unit lacking skill, I agree with you 100% there.

Not a "shooter" in the players you listed.

If no shot, no rebound ...
if no rebound, no crashing the net
no shot, no rebound, no crashing = no advantage.

TRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Successful power plays do screen the goalie. There are other issues at work here that results in PP failure.
Really?

I never said not to screen the goalie, but it's about WHEN you get there to screen the goalie. Good teams do it right before the shot comes. If you're standing there the whole team, not only does it eliminate the advantage, but the goalie has an easy time peering around you.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
Thank you...Bruins scored 0 pp goals in the 1st round last year. 14th out of 16 playoff teams overall in the playoffs on the power play.

An early exit will be because of stupid turnovers and sloppy play in the neutral and defensive zone like the last couple of games.
Yeah, the Bruins were awful for long stretches on the PP last year, and they won the cup.

This isn't my biggest concern with this club. Fatigue and injuries are.

03-08-2012, 09:56 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post

I went ove rthis once before.

The Bruins had THE BEST EVEN STRENGTH OFFENCE in the league last year. they could afford to have an abysmal PP.

We don't therefore, we can't.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Boston's goals for/against was 1.4 last season at 5 on 5

The Rangers are at 1.29 gf/against at 5 on 5 this season.

Boston's regular season PP was 16.2 last year, their pk was 82.6 percent.

Our power play is 1.42, and our PK is 86.7 percent.

We score 2.72 goals per game and allow 2.03 against.

Boston last year scored 2.98 for and allowed 2.3 against.

Fact of the matter is each season you can find a million and one reasons why each team "can't win the cup." Fact of the matter is every new cup winning team breaks a trend of one kind or another. We can't as an organization just work on eliminating every possible historical reason why we might not win the cup.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote