HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our PP = early PO exit

Old
03-08-2012, 11:09 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

vCash: 500
Despite the mantra about special teams being the difference maker, the game is won or lost during 5-on-5 play.

The Rangers score 3+ more often than almost anyone in the league. They'll be fine even if the powerplay doesn't pick up.

Last edited by Tawnos: 03-08-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Last night KOVY and Elias made a give and go in the PP that was magic , thankfully Henke made the save but that's the type of movement and passing the NYR PP lacks .
Well said. We don't have the skilled players that the Devils have, sad to say.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:51 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
The problem is skill. They lack it. They are TOO structured and I believe that to be the problem.
The problem is coaching 100%.

Fire Sullivan.

Richards, Gaborik, Callahan, Stepan, Del Zotto, etc. is more than enough to at least have an average PP.

What does this team need to have just an AVERAGE PP? Crosby, Malkin, Karlsson? Please, this team is 29th in PP%. No excuses.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:09 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Boston's goals for/against was 1.4 last season at 5 on 5

The Rangers are at 1.29 gf/against at 5 on 5 this season.

Boston's regular season PP was 16.2 last year, their pk was 82.6 percent.

Our power play is 1.42, and our PK is 86.7 percent.

We score 2.72 goals per game and allow 2.03 against.

Boston last year scored 2.98 for and allowed 2.3 against.

Fact of the matter is each season you can find a million and one reasons why each team "can't win the cup." Fact of the matter is every new cup winning team breaks a trend of one kind or another. We can't as an organization just work on eliminating every possible historical reason why we might not win the cup.
The only trend I see with Boston last year was that much like the Reg. Season, they were the best even strength scoring post season team by a wide margin. That even strength scoring completely eliminated the need for an effective PP.

during the Reg. Season they scored a league best 177 goals at 5 on 5. In the Playoffs they scored a whopping 60 at 5 on 5. Vancouver (which played the same number of games) was a massive 24 goals behind the pace.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:20 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Despite the mantra about special teams being the difference maker, the game is won or lost during 5-on-5 play.

The Rangers score 3+ more often than almost anyone in the league. They'll be fine even if the powerplay doesn't pick up.
I disagree.

Over the last 10 seasons only three teams have won the cup with a PP that converts less much less than 20% of it's chances.

Boston last year (by far the best ES scoring team in the PO's)

Anaheim in 06-07

Devils in 02-03

The trend that I see is that if you have a PP that converts at a rate of 19% or better, you have better than even odds that you can win the cup.

A low scoring team such as the Rangers who even with the most 3+ goal games is still only 14th overall at 5 on 5 play will need an effective PP and I don't even mean they they have to convert at a 20% clip.

Get the PP to 18% and we will have a great shot to win the cup

Old
03-08-2012, 01:22 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
When have I heard this before? Oh right, every year. And every time we've gotten someone with a big shot, it has done very little to improve the PP.
Lol, ain't that the truth. Our pp is kinda like ground hogs day; same ****, different day!

Old
03-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I disagree.

Over the last 10 seasons only three teams have won the cup with a PP that converts less much less than 20% of it's chances.

Boston last year (by far the best ES scoring team in the PO's)

Anaheim in 06-07

Devils in 02-03

The trend that I see is that if you have a PP that converts at a rate of 19% or better, you have better than even odds that you can win the cup.

A low scoring team such as the Rangers who even with the most 3+ goal games is still only 14th overall at 5 on 5 play will need an effective PP and I don't even mean they they have to convert at a 20% clip.

Get the PP to 18% and we will have a great shot to win the cup
You missed Detroit in 08. Which means 4 of the last 10. I don't really consider that to be much of a trend.

I don't disagree that improving the powerplay would help with our chances. I just don't see it as a completely necessary ingredient to winning the Cup.

And you can't compare where the Rangers sit overall with 5/5 to a stat like how often a team scores more than 3. They're number 2 in likelihood to score 3 goals, but number 11 overall in goal-scoring. I bet the Rangers are the team who scores 3+ ES goals more often than any other team... and are probably also near the top for how often they score 2+ ES goals.

Old
03-08-2012, 01:38 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Here comes all the coaches.

Anyway...

Quote:
The problem is skill. They lack it. They are TOO structured and I believe that to be the problem.
This is an interesting point. Haven't thought of that or heard of this before.

Maybe Torts and Sully need to let Gaborik and Rich use there finesse out there instead of the basic X's and O's, do this and then do that.

They don't need a big shot. They don't need screens. They need to move around when they don't have the puck. I'm tired of seeing player X skate with the puck and the guy he's going to be passing it to only skate. Too much stand still.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post

Fire Sullivan.

Richards, Gaborik, Callahan, Stepan, Del Zotto, etc. is more than enough to at least have an average PP.

What does this team need to have just an AVERAGE PP? Crosby, Malkin, Karlsson? Please, this team is 29th in PP%. No excuses.
What do we need? More skill, a legit point shot, and better/quicker puck movement. I've seen basketballs get passed quicker than we move the puck on the pp!

Old
03-08-2012, 01:40 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:

Fire Sullivan.

I can't see Torts letting his boy go. Just can't.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:41 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
What do we need? More skill, a legit point shot, and better/quicker puck movement. I've seen basketballs get passed quicker than we move the puck on the pp!
Notcie I said just an average PP, not elite. Elite would be needing more pieces, but please, there's no reason why this team should be 29th on the PP.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Notcie I said just an average PP, not elite. Elite would be needing more pieces, but please, there's no reason why this team should be 29th on the PP.
Yessum; being 29th is a pretty revolting situation. Kind of brings out the hostilities in us, don't it?

Old
03-08-2012, 02:10 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Yessum; being 29th is a pretty revolting situation. Kind of brings out the hostilities in us, don't it?
Getting mad and punching the pillow

TCRF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 02:11 PM
DanrickBrassardi

I think the big problem is that they don't like to improvise on the PP, they're too stuck in the mindset of trying to make their plays work, so they pass the puck around the perimeter until the opening presents itself

DanrickBrassardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 03:15 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
You missed Detroit in 08. Which means 4 of the last 10. I don't really consider that to be much of a trend.

I don't disagree that improving the powerplay would help with our chances. I just don't see it as a completely necessary ingredient to winning the Cup.

And you can't compare where the Rangers sit overall with 5/5 to a stat like how often a team scores more than 3. They're number 2 in likelihood to score 3 goals, but number 11 overall in goal-scoring. I bet the Rangers are the team who scores 3+ ES goals more often than any other team... and are probably also near the top for how often they score 2+ ES goals.
Det. PP in 08 - 18.9

Technically under 19% yes, but really?

Old
03-08-2012, 05:09 PM
Leetch66

Our foot speed to get puck possession after a dump in is just too slow other than Gabby . Cally-Richards-Stepan are not fast enough and those last 2 names...are not brave enough for heavy slugging in the corners . Cally and Stepan also are better suited on a 2nd PP unit...thus there ya go...not enough quality up front !!! Stepan would have scored the other night when he was banging at the crease edge if he had of turned to the net...instead of turning away from the net...that happens too much with our forwards other than Cally .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Det. PP in 08 - 18.9

Technically under 19% yes, but really?
You said only 3 teams were under 20%....

Old
03-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

I just asked Boston. I'll let you know when they get back to me

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Ail
Girardi Sucks

Quote:
I think the structure is part of the coaching, and not so much a lack of skill. The problem with this team, this year and last year, is that when the coaching fails, and the system and structure fall apart, the team does not adapt. This is mostly the result of the fact that Torts himself, cannot, and does not, adapt well to his systems and structure falling apart.

They look lost out there when they can't play their game how it has been pounded in to their heads by the coaching, and that's a big problem.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 06:03 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
I think the structure is part of the coaching, and not so much a lack of skill. The problem with this team, this year and last year, is that when the coaching fails, and the system and structure fall apart, the team does not adapt. This is mostly the result of the fact that Torts himself, cannot, and does not, adapt well to his systems and structure falling apart.

They look lost out there when they can't play their game how it has been pounded in to their heads by the coaching, and that's a big problem.
Torts better get innovative

TCRF is online now   Reply With Quote