HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nino's Learning Season Hasn't Been a Rosy One.

Old
03-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Nino's Learning Season Hasn't Been a Rosy One.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...rosy-1.3576198

BOSTON -- The education of Nino Niederreiter continued Saturday, with the 19-year-old rookie getting back into the Islanders lineup after sitting out two straight as a healthy scratch.

"Everybody says you gotta look at the big picture, but that's not me," Niederreiter said on Thursday, after finding out he was scratched against the Flyers. "I'm in the moment, I'm trying to do my best right now to play and help the team win, so when I find out I'm not playing, I can't be happy. I'm -- -- off that I can't play."

"I'm proud to be an Islander and I'm proud of myself that I stayed here the whole season," he said. "I just have to do my best to stay in the lineup, work hard and do what the coaches ask. That's all I can do."

03-03-2012, 10:14 PM
xECK29x

I think the comments about Connolly with Tamp and Johansen with Columbus really put things into perspective with this whole Nino thing. It could have been a lot worse of a season for him.

He is not a bust, nowhere near it, he is still very raw and should be in Bridgeport for one full year.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:59 PM
StrongIslanders90

I feel for the Kid....He has not been handled properly....He his way to good for the WHL but hes too young for the AHL.....If the Isles were to keep him on the Island they should have given him top 6 min....Thats what his future is and if hes not ready for that type of role than they should have never "promised" him the NHL....... Hes a goal scoring Power foaward and Playing with Pandolfo and Reasoner on the 4th line is not going to help him....Now hes only 19, and far from a bust but next year he should be the ROTY in the AHL and leading they way for the sound Tigers.....Look at Cizikas he was eased in with just a little more than half a season in the AHL and he lools good and not out of place....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:11 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I feel for the Kid....He has not been handled properly....He his way to good for the WHL but hes too young for the AHL.....If the Isles were to keep him on the Island they should have given him top 6 min....Thats what his future is and if hes not ready for that type of role than they should have never "promised" him the NHL....... Hes a goal scoring Power foaward and Playing with Pandolfo and Reasoner on the 4th line is not going to help him....Now hes only 19, and far from a bust but next year he should be the ROTY in the AHL and leading they way for the sound Tigers.....Look at Cizikas he was eased in with just a little more than half a season in the AHL and he lools good and not out of place....
It's way too early to label Nino a bust. It's definitely been a tough year for him, but I have confidence that he'll turn it around in the coming seasons. I agree with many that playing in Bridgeport next year would be really good for him. He'd probably play on the top line there and build some confidence so the next time he dons the Isles jersey, he'll be more prepared to have success in the NHL.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:49 PM
JetsMetsIsles

I want to see Nino on a line with Bailey. Having him on the 4th line does nothing for him at all. Hes not the kind of player who starts plays he finishes them. Reasoner isn't going to create any opportunities for him.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:57 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
It's way too early to label Nino a bust. It's definitely been a tough year for him, but I have confidence that he'll turn it around in the coming seasons. I agree with many that playing in Bridgeport next year would be really good for him. He'd probably play on the top line there and build some confidence so the next time he dons the Isles jersey, he'll be more prepared to have success in the NHL.
I can see him becoming a bust if he doesn't get sent somewhere else to actually develop.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:49 AM
IslandersFan17

The issue is Nino was indeed not going to continue to grow as a player in the WHL.

Furthermore, Nino was not allowed to play in the AHL, AND was injured for a period of time.

As far as the minutes the kid needs to be brought along slowly. Thrusting Nino into a top 6 role could have really destroyed any type of confidence if Nino failed there.

Fact of the matter is Nino should be in bridgeport all year and at best an emergench call up.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 04:10 AM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
This has Bailey Part 2 written all over it...

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 06:55 AM
7:11 of OT
Call my Monkey Butch

This is not meant as a defense of the Islanders decision on how to handle Nino this year (but I do expect the flaming from the usual suspects) but, given the options - playing at a level below that would do nothing for his development, or playing on the Island (since the A was not an option), here is what I think is a possibility for their decision to put him on the 4th line. We all know he is a power forward with a finishing touch, but it is possible that the Isles saw some defensive problems in his game and thought that a season of 4th line grinding and backchecking might help strengthen an aspect of his game that may have been seen as weak.

Again, this is speculation on my part, but I will say that I see a more defensively responsible player now than I saw at the beginning of the season. I think next year he should stay on the Island, in a 2nd line role (1st if he lights things up). I don't see going down to the A as a real benefit to him at this point. In the long run, this may end up making him a stronger player, both physically and mentally.

7:11 of OT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Hip Of Rick

I said it after seeing Nino play 3-4 games this season and have said the same thing all year in Nino threads. He sucks and is not ready for the NHL. He is not a bust yet , but he is well on his way. I do not care if he is "too good" for juniors, the NHL is not a development league. He belonged in juniors and is here due to the cap hit/Snow's word. Nino being in the NHL hurt NYI chances this season to make the playoffs, that should be simple enough for people to realize Snow crapped the bed.

Hip Of Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7:11 of OT View Post
Again, this is speculation on my part, but I will say that I see a more defensively responsible player now than I saw at the beginning of the season. I think next year he should stay on the Island, in a 2nd line role (1st if he lights things up). I don't see going down to the A as a real benefit to him at this point. In the long run, this may end up making him a stronger player, both physically and mentally.
Ohhh, definitely.

It's not like he's learned nothing. He has picked up a lot of little things and has adjusted well to the spead and timing of this league.

Best of all, he's learned a lot of lessons about what he can, cannot and shouldn't do physically at this level.

I still think he should have been in junior rather than play 8 minutes a night on a fourth line that rarely could fulfill its task optimally, much less create danger for opponents.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:52 AM
2LeftSkates

The real question should be:
What has ownership and management learned from this latest player management disaster?

2LeftSkates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 50
Hopefully Nino is in Bridgeport next year and Strome in Juniors. Let them develop and get minutes and force them to earn a roster spot, no more promises.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:08 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeftSkates View Post
The real question should be:
What has ownership and management learned from this latest player management disaster?
Rookie cap hits trump cash - development be damned.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Isles Junkie

He just better be in the AHL next season. but I somehow doubt he will be.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote