HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tremblay: Gauthier Running Habs like KGB

Old
03-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Issacar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Especially since it was Lapierre that asked for a trade.
I agree with you, but we doN't know everything that goes inside teh Bell Centre either. Maybe the ywere looking to trade Lapierre away even before he asked to be traded?

Either way, we could argue over this the whole day, what I said is based on someone who is not always trustworthy

Issacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 02:22 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post

McKinnon. Please !
not enough, 2 more years of tanking after that.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 02:22 PM
PricePkPatch

Regardless of who asked for the Lapierre and Latendresse trades, it was still the GM's responsibility to get a reasonable return for both of these assets.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 02:27 PM
ReVeuF

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Regardless of who asked for the Lapierre and Latendresse trades, it was still the GM's responsibility to get a reasonable return for both of these assets.
I remember Lapierre was traded to Ana for a 5th and later Ana traded him to Van for what ? a 2nd or 3rd ?

Meaning Gauthier did not shop Lapierre much, like he did with Halak, Cammy especially...

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 02:35 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
You speak of Ken King. I believe that Pierre Boivin (love him or hate him) was an important person in Montreal who did this for the team during the last few years and while their were some negatives about Gainey and Gauthier during their time as GMs it was very well contained.

The circus has gotten completely out of control this year, and its in no small part due to missing the calming effect that Boivin often had in times of crisis IMO.

He may not have been a hockey guy, but he was a very good marketer and public relations boss, who knew what to do when it came to dealing with the media.

Awesome. Great media management........pathetic hockey.

Boivin is THE reason that Montreal has a circus in the Bell Centre. Which is why I will repeat what I have said before. EVERY single person who was associated with Boivin in any way needs to be removed from this franchise by Molson.

If not, the circus will remain, because as you said, Boivin believed that PR and marketing was more important than hockey.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 02:38 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
I remember Lapierre was traded to Ana for a 5th and later Ana traded him to Van for what ? a 2nd or 3rd ?

Meaning Gauthier did not shop Lapierre much, like he did with Halak, Cammy especially...
So far, am not unhappy with either of Gill's or Cammy's trade. Halak? That's a tough one. Eller sure has trouble being consistent.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issacar View Post
I could be wrong and pulling this out of nowhere. I have a friend who has some connection with hockey players. he ******** alot so I don,t trust everything he says. But he told me that Molson asked for those 2 to be traded because of the bad reputation they had locally.
Wasn't Latendresse traded before Molson bought the team? I'm not 100% sure on that but he was traded very early in the 09-10 season.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 02:40 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post

a 3rd, but they were prospect going from Van City along with Lapierre for the pick

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 02:44 PM

Someone is mad because Gauthier doesn't talk much to the media.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Issacar

Quote:
You mean Molson, before he even bought the team, got Latendresse traded?
The team was only legally transferred to the Molson in November, but the Molson were in charge for a few months before then in reality. Gillet kinda gave the team away to Molson by the end of the season '08 so Molson could follow what his team was doing in pre-season.

Old
03-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Wasn't Latendresse traded before Molson bought the team? I'm not 100% sure on that but he was traded very early in the 09-10 season.
Latendresse was traded during hte off season actually.

Old
03-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Awesome. Great media management........pathetic hockey.

Boivin is THE reason that Montreal has a circus in the Bell Centre. Which is why I will repeat what I have said before. EVERY single person who was associated with Boivin in any way needs to be removed from this franchise by Molson.

If not, the circus will remain, because as you said, Boivin believed that PR and marketing was more important than hockey.
If you live in Montréal, you'd know that if you were Canadiens cap or jersey downtown, people would laugh at you. Nowadays, it's trendy to wear Canadiens stuff. Pierre Boivin has alot to do with it.

Pierre Boivin did not beleive that marketing and PR was more important then hockey. He though Bob Gainey was a competent hockey guy and did leth im do his job. By the way, I think we have a much better team now then before Gainey or Boivin came in.

You are also a bit late in the news, Geoff Molson is now the President and it would be hard to fire Boivin, he is a member of the board of directors.

Old
03-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
If you live in Montréal, you'd know that if you were Canadiens cap or jersey downtown, people would laugh at you. Nowadays, it's trendy to wear Canadiens stuff. Pierre Boivin has alot to do with it.

Pierre Boivin did not beleive that marketing and PR was more important then hockey. He though Bob Gainey was a competent hockey guy and did leth im do his job. By the way, I think we have a much better team now then before Gainey or Boivin came in.

You are also a bit late in the news, Geoff Molson is now the President and it would be hard to fire Boivin, he is a member of the board of directors.
For all the good Boivin did, he also was the one that named Gainey's successor.

Clearly we got the right guy for the job

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 03:02 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issacar View Post
latendresse was traded during hte off season actually.
On June 20, 2009, the brothers Geoff Molson, Andrew Molson, and Eric Molson announced the purchase of 80.1% of the Montreal Canadiens

2009-2010 canadiens 23 2 1 3 -4 4 0 0 0 27 7.4
2009-2010 wild 55 25 12 37 1 12 7 0 4 133 18.8

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 03:04 PM
Not The One

Quote:
Latendresse was traded during hte off season actually.
Latendresse was traded on 23.11.2009.

The sale to Molson was announced on 20.06.2009.

The Latendresse trade was a monstrosity. "Yeah, let's trade our big local homegrown goalscorer. We've got enough of those anyways!"

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Someone is mad because Gauthier doesn't talk much to the media.
Fans want to know what's going on as well, with Gauthier everything is always top secret

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
Latendresse was traded on 23.11.2009.

The sale to Molson was announced on 20.06.2009.

The Latendresse trade was a monstrosity. "Yeah, let's trade our big local homegrown goalscorer. We've got enough of those anyways!"
Yeah, I didn't read the wiki page of Tender properly, he signed a new contract in july which I took for the date he was traded :S

Old
03-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Montreal4Life*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
If you don't know anything about the Russian internal politics or that the KGB's successor, the GRU, single-handily took over the Russian business establishment in the last 90's/early 00's and still considered to be one of the most ruthless and effective intelligence organization in the world to this day, just don't try to actually fake you know what you are talking about.

It's insulting to the KGB on many levels. First, the KGB was actually effective. Second, there was genuine loyalty between it's members and they would rarely throw one of their own to be devoured by the public.

If anything, the Habs organization is a less moral, less efficient version of it. You know, like the Canadian Intelligence Agency (never kept track of it's actual name)
I know you that CSIS is not exactly the KGB ( Canadian Security INtelligence Service) but you are not helping your case by calling them the CIA

And they are actually very efficient, its just not public (nor should it be). And yeah, I do know. Can't say more than that.

Montreal4Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
For all the good Boivin did, he also was the one that named Gainey's successor.

Clearly we got the right guy for the job
Gauthier was doing an ok job up until he fired Perry Pearn, imo. That's when **** started hitting the fan this season. We were at 2 points of the 8th place when they fired Martin, 2 weeks later we were 12 points away from the 8th place.

If I was Molson, I would of fired Gauthier the minute he told me he was going to fire Martin, more so after he told me that the new coach would be Randy Cunneyworth. In general, assistant coaches does not work as head coaches for the same team.

Last season John McLean proved it with the Devils and we made the exact same mistake they did. What did it gave us? About the exact same season, only we don,t have a Jacques Lemaire to save us.

Old
03-08-2012, 03:27 PM
sheed36

Just saw this PG article from April 2002 posted on another site after he was fired from the Ducks.. Interesting read..

We Hardly Got to Know Gauthier
http://articles.latimes.com/2002/apr...rts/sp-pucin20

Sorry if already posted..

sheed36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 03:28 PM
ZiggyC

ZiggyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Just saw this PG article from April 2002 posted on another site after he was fired from the Ducks.. Interesting read..

We Hardly Got to Know Gauthier
http://articles.latimes.com/2002/apr...rts/sp-pucin20

Sorry if already posted..
was posted yesterday but it shows exactly what type of guy Gauthier is and hasn't changed one bit

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 03:47 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
was posted yesterday but it shows exactly what type of guy Gauthier is and hasn't changed one bit
Figured it was already posted around here somewhere.

sheed36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Independently of Gauthier's merits as a GM, I never cease to be amused about how much importance the media place on the "talks to the media" quality of a manager or a player. It's funny how often that seems to be the most important criteria they judge someone by...
And why the surprise or amusement? Isn't it natural to like someone who makes your job easier and provides material for the readers/listeners?

Yes, Brian Burke has a big mouth and he likes to draw the spotlight on himself. But Burke is also a master at controlling the media by steering the media away from his team. I'm thinking of the countless times when in Vancouver, he went with chocking statements which took the focus away from his players. He's still doing that in Toronto.

Another GM who keeps his media informed is Paul Holmgren in Philadelphia. He regularly comes down to the dressing room giving interviews and updates on different topics such as injuries.

All of those actions take pressure away from the coaching staff and the players. Not a bad thing.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 04:02 PM
GinoCyber*

Quote:
You know, like the Canadian Intelligence Agency (never kept track of it's actual name)
It's pronounces "ceesus" and as Montreal4Life said, they are very efficient and secretive.

GinoCyber* is offline   Reply With Quote