HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rankin

Old
03-08-2012, 02:52 PM
tmack224

vCash: 500
Rankin

Just wanted to know if anyone from Rochester has any info on this kid. It looks like he has been pretty solid statistically but obviously thats not everything. If anyone can give any insight on him. I know hes older then a prospect but that was the only prefix that matched lol

last i checked he had 8 goals 7 assists in 18 games

tmack224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
He's not actually a prospect though -- he's not Sabres property, he's under contract to the Amerks.

03-08-2012, 03:02 PM
tmack224

ya i realized he wasnt ours but i was wondering if anyone has watched him play. do you think the sabres would sign him kinda like they did with finley? where did he come from? Is he an AHL lifer like giroux and bourque? those kinda questions lol

Old
03-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 233
He's a career minor leaguer ... Amerks sign Evan Rankin to AHL contract:
Quote:
The Rochester Americans announced Monday, March 5, the signing of forward Evan Rankin to an American Hockey League contract.

Rankin has been with the Amerks since Nov. 25 on a professional tryout. He has recorded eight goals and seven assists in 18 games.

Rankin was a member of the Toledo Walleye of the ECHL before joining the Amerks. He recorded 10 goals and eight assists to lead the Walleye with a total of 18 points. His 18 points also ranked 10th in the league as of Nov. 25.

According to a press release, Rankin scored 65 goals and tallied 65 assists for a total of 130 points in 143 career ECHL games with Toledo. He has played in a total of 32 AHL games with Rochester, the Grand Rapid Griffins and Manitoba Moose.

Woodhouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 03:18 PM
UncleBenny

I don't have anything bad to say about him, he puts points on the board, plays a solid game. He's not a real physical guy so don't expect him to be out there trying to put guys through the boards like Foligno, but I wouldn't mind seeing him get a two way deal and get a chance with the Sabres if he can keep it up in the AHL.

After Rankin's hot start he went down with a concussion right after Christmas, he was out pretty much all of January and February. We were wondering if the down time would cool him off at all but he came back and was right back in things, so I think that's a good sign for him.

UncleBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 03:24 PM
tmack224

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBenny View Post
I don't have anything bad to say about him, he puts points on the board, plays a solid game. He's not a real physical guy so don't expect him to be out there trying to put guys through the boards like Foligno, but I wouldn't mind seeing him get a two way deal and get a chance with the Sabres if he can keep it up in the AHL.

After Rankin's hot start he went down with a concussion right after Christmas, he was out pretty much all of January and February. We were wondering if the down time would cool him off at all but he came back and was right back in things, so I think that's a good sign for him.
thanks for the info. I hope they make it to the playoffs so i can try to get to a game. Would be nice to see a guy like him work his way into the league the hard way.

Old
03-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Reminds me of Voakes in a way -- a much needed offensive injection up from the Coast.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 04:24 PM
barcs

He was one of the best skaters on the ice in the Amerks shootout win Sunday night. Really skilled, hard working guy. Big fan of his!

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:35 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 233
Kevin O published a piece on Rankin late last night, probably in today's D&C ... third quote block tells you all you need to know about his game ... Amerks' Rankin took a long road to AHL:
Quote:
Evan Rankin

Position: Right wing.

Height/weight: 6-foot-1/196 pounds.

Hometown: Portage, Mich.

College: Four seasons at Notre Dame. Degree in accounting. Fighting Irish rookie of the year in 2004-05.

“Grudge” against Gerbe: Nathan Gerbe (Sabres winger) and Boston College defeated Rankin and Notre Dame in the 2008 NCAA title game. “He stole my ring from me,” Rankin joked.

Big year: He signed an AHL contract with the Amerks on Monday. On Dec. 22 he became engaged to Jenna Lento, who he met playing in Toledo. You can see the video of his proposal on YouTube. “It wouldn’t upload to email so we had to post it on YouTube so her parents could see it,” he said.
Quote:
“I debated quitting numerous times,” Rankin admitted. “You’re in the Central League, your coach isn’t playing you, and that degree (from Notre Dame) is so powerful. You’re looking toward building a family and settling down and having kids.”
Quote:
Rankin is not a grinder, he’s not a checker and he’s not a fighter. His game is producing points.

He has good hands; the puck doesn’t bounce off his stick, it sticks. He doesn’t skate past the net, he drives toward the crease and finds a way to stay there.

Putting him on the fourth line wasn’t going to do him, or the Amerks, any good. You don’t try to blow snow with a lawnmower; Amerks coach Ron Rolston knows that. So he put Rankin in a role that made sense.

He used Rankin with scorers like Derek Whitmore and Paul Szczechura. Now he’s with Phil Varone and Colin Stuart.

“A lot of times you bring those guys up and they end up playing with guys that dump it in and slap it around,” Rolston said. “He has good skill and he works hard. He competes hard. And he’s just slippery out there.”

Woodhouse is online now   Reply With Quote