HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

An HFBoard's poster writing articles for Newsday? ; )

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Peter Griffin

vCash: 500
An HFBoard's poster writing articles for Newsday? ; )

http://www.newsday.com/sports/weblog...lding_the.html

Came accross this article on Spector'shockey about an article from Newsday's writer Mike Casey. I highly doubt he's a member of these boards, but from judging from some of the trade proposals he thinks are realistic for the Islanders, he very well could be! Anyway, thought this would just add some humour to these boards, if this is the wrong thread or inappropriate, I apologize.

"Parrish is 29 and still in the prime of his career. But his game doesn’t quite fit into the mold I’d like my first-line winger to have. Maybe the Isles could create some kind of package – possibly including Shawn Bates – that would yield them a promising young forward like Edmonton’s Ales Hemsky or the Kings’ Alexander Frolov. Anaheim’s Joffrey Lupul could be had for a lesser price."

Old
02-04-2006, 11:51 AM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin

Came accross this article on Spector'shockey about an article from Newsday's writer Mike Casey. I highly doubt he's a member of these boards, but from judging from some of the trade proposals he thinks are realistic for the Islanders, he very well could be! Anyway, thought this would just add some humour to these boards, if this is the wrong thread or inappropriate, I apologize.

"Parrish is 29 and still in the prime of his career. But his game doesn’t quite fit into the mold I’d like my first-line winger to have. Maybe the Isles could create some kind of package – possibly including Shawn Bates – that would yield them a promising young forward like Edmonton’s Ales Hemsky or the Kings’ Alexander Frolov. Anaheim’s Joffrey Lupul could be had for a lesser price."

Wow. He continues the article operating on the principle he'd get Hemsky for Parrish and Bates. Hemsky has almost as many points as them combined, is 7 years younger.

And this guy gets paid to write about hockey? Yikes.

Old
02-04-2006, 11:53 AM
kingsfan25

Frolov for Parrish is absolutely ridiculous.

Although I do hope to see Parrish in a Kings uni sometime soon.

Old
02-04-2006, 11:56 AM
Peter Griffin

This is my personal favorite:

"I package Martinek, York, Lukowich and a 2nd round draft pick and make a run at San Jose wingers Jonathan Cheechoo (31 goals this season, 25 years old) and Milan Michalek (6th overall pick in 2003). I get a big upgrade in offense and remove some of the surplus defenders from my roster. York and Martinek are unrestricted free agents this summer anyway."

This is the textbook crap for gold proposal!

To be fair to the the writer, he was doing this all in good fun and it's obvious he wasn't being very serious, it just reminded what happens frequently on this board.

Old
02-04-2006, 12:00 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Ehh. Yeah, not going to happen.

Old
02-04-2006, 12:01 PM
SML

I like the part about getting Chris Neil from Ottawa for a fourth rounder...

Old
02-04-2006, 12:21 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Embarassing article.

Once again, the line between fantasy hockey and reality are blurred.

Alexei Yashin, "untouchable"? I swear some fans simply deserve mediocrity or worse. How ANY NYI fan on this planet at this point would wish the team to retain that stiff is unfathomable. There is a way to get rid of him - eat the contract, genius.

You know, there have been more than a few weird, unforeseen outcomes resulting from the NHL's move to a salary cap.

The strangest?:

NYR morphs from a gluttonest franchise that epitomizes spending for the sake of collecting stars...to a shrewdly managed, exciting TEAM with a bright present AND future....

Meanwhile, in that same short timeframe, NYI goes from a team with a solid core of heart players (Peca, Scatchard, Aucoin, etc.) to a latter day version of...NYR! Overpaid indifferent offensive "stars"! (Yashin, Satan). Overpaid dmen! (Zhitnik, Sopel). A modest pipeline of young talent, to be kind. A coaching carousel. And an uninspiring on-ice produce.

Worst of all, reading this article and posts elsewhere, at least a few NYI fans actually want the team to go into hyper-UFA and trade mode, in a delusional effort to turn the team around in a summer. You know, offer more big, multi-year contracts to more big name players with shiny offensive numbers and NO HEART.

Brilliant!

I'm ill.

Last edited by Trottier: 02-04-2006 at 12:38 PM.
Old
02-04-2006, 12:29 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
I think the funniest part about that article, is that even with all the completely one sided proposals, he doesn't improave on what is arguably the worst defense in hockey at all.

Old
02-04-2006, 01:05 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Old
02-04-2006, 04:02 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:

Shawn Bates + for Joffrey Lupul...

yeah a UFA grinder and a draft pick will get you a rising star.

Old
02-04-2006, 04:39 PM
KH1

After I read this article I thought for about 30 minutes about whether it was some sort of satire or not.

To be fair to the guy he does admit that this is all in good fun and that none of this could ever happen.

Old
02-04-2006, 05:17 PM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:

This was particularly gross:

Quote:
I package Martinek, York, Lukowich and a 2nd round draft pick and make a run at San Jose wingers Jonathan Cheechoo (31 goals this season, 25 years old) and Milan Michalek (6th overall pick in 2003). I get a big upgrade in offense and remove some of the surplus defenders from my roster. York and Martinek are unrestricted free agents this summer anyway.
Yea, the Sharks get to trade their best scoring winger and most promising prospect who has been a workhorse all year for Lukowich and a 2nd since the other two are rentals (and neither a real improvement for the Sharks) anyways. I'd like to slap this punk in the back of the head.

And yes, like you, I too thought this looked like a post on HF Boards rather than a legit article by legit columnist. This guy is an absolute joke.

02-04-2006, 07:21 PM
Dropkick Alex

Quote:
This is my personal favorite:

"I package Martinek, York, Lukowich and a 2nd round draft pick and make a run at San Jose wingers Jonathan Cheechoo (31 goals this season, 25 years old) and Milan Michalek (6th overall pick in 2003). I get a big upgrade in offense and remove some of the surplus defenders from my roster. York and Martinek are unrestricted free agents this summer anyway."

This is the textbook crap for gold proposal!

To be fair to the the writer, he was doing this all in good fun and it's obvious he wasn't being very serious, it just reminded what happens frequently on this board.

Old
02-04-2006, 07:45 PM
crashthenet

To be fair this is the best Islander article associated with Newsday in a decade. Alan Hahn watch out!

Old
02-04-2006, 08:02 PM
boredmale

As an Islandes fan i have to say those trades are pretty unrealistic(unfortuntly). I seen some bad trade proposals on here, his are just as bad. Beyond that it looks like his article is a web feature only, but i could be wrong.

Old
02-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Hemsky has about 15 times the potential to that of Parrish. So there's no way Bates and Parrish get you Hemsky

try

To NYI: Hemsky, Markkanen, Laraque, Harvery, Ulanov, 4th

To EDM: Parrish, Blake, DiPietro, Martinuk(sp), 1st

Something like that might come close to getting you hemsky, but it still might be a stretch

Old
02-04-2006, 11:00 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
Quote:
1st line: Elias-Yashin-Cheechoo
2nd line: Nilsson-Blake-Hemsky
3rd line: Michalek-Sutherby-Grier
4th line: Axelsson-Perreault-Neil

Pairing 1: Aucoin/Campoli
Pairing 2: Coliacovo/Jovanovski
Pairing 3: Keith, Strudwick, Komisarek all available

Penalty killers: Blake, Sutherby, Grier, Perreault, Axelsson, Cheechoo
Power play quarterbacks: Aucoin, Campoli, Coliacovo

Goaltenders: DiPietro and Dubielewicz

Old
02-05-2006, 12:26 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

In other news today newsday has annonced that all sports writers who cover hockey will now be tested for drugs--especially acid

Old
02-05-2006, 01:13 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I'm not even going to read this because Newsday's hockey coverage blows, and now from the quotes from posters it looks like they're trying the sarcastic/facetious angle. Brilliant writing.

Newsday basically couldn't care less about hockey. With all the wins the Rangers have had over their rivals like the Isles, Devils and Flyers this season you'd think they would make the front cover of the sports section a few times, but they almost never do. I remember a few years back when hockey stories actually got the cover. But now Newsday thinks it's more important to give it to the stories about the Knicks losing by thirty points or some golf tournament. For October hockey gets pushed back in favor of the Jets and Giants and the baseball playoffs, in November the Knicks and Nets come in and push it even more into the background, and then right around this time of year when football is finally ending and you'd think hockey would get some more coverage, freakin' baseball gets going.

Old
02-05-2006, 10:54 AM
hb6947
Hooked Since '78

Guys, this is a post not a real article. Newsday gives readers an outlet to speak their mind. By no means has this or ever would appear in the real news section. The section is called Keyboard Quarterbacks which is kind of a fanasty players place to put their two cents in, regardless of how stupid or unrealistic.

Old
02-05-2006, 11:15 AM
PSUhockey34

"Of course, not much of the stuff I'm about to suggest has a legitimate chance to happen, and I am only taking the Islanders' future into account"

If you know that your trade proposals have zero precent of actually happening, why even write the article in the first place...just seems like a huge waste of print

Old
02-05-2006, 11:53 AM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Newsday is yet another rag not worthy of reading

These "trade proposals" are ALMOST as bad as the ones i see in this section of HF

real silly **** that has zero chance of happening

and im another Isles fan ...but a realist

02-05-2006, 03:28 PM
Eman Resu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb6947
Guys, this is a post not a real article. Newsday gives readers an outlet to speak their mind. By no means has this or ever would appear in the real news section. The section is called Keyboard Quarterbacks which is kind of a fanasty players place to put their two cents in, regardless of how stupid or unrealistic.

Yeah, I agree with hb6947. This thread has gotten completely out of hand with all the Newsday bashing. It's clear if you read the article that it's just some guy speaking his mind, dreaming about how he would fix the Islanders. It's not serious and it's not written by one of their sports journalists. Close this thread because it's going nowhere.

Old
02-05-2006, 07:26 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu
Yeah, I agree with hb6947. This thread has gotten completely out of hand with all the Newsday bashing. It's clear if you read the article that it's just some guy speaking his mind, dreaming about how he would fix the Islanders. It's not serious and it's not written by one of their sports journalists. Close this thread because it's going nowhere.
It's some guy with a newsday e-mail address, a little characiture graphic on the section's main page, and an archive of a ton of previous entries. Whether you choose to categorize it as a blog or an opinion column, it's someone who is a repeat contributor to newsday, and is more than likely not just joe average sports fan.

Besides, if Newsday is going to allow nobodies to create entire columns under the guise of a blog, it should be no different than when a paid staff writer composes a piece. It's not a Letter to the Editor, or a small "your say" style response to a specific question. Blogs might not be the most upstanding examples of journalistic integrity, but it's not like they should be immune to criticism when they're backed by a major publication.

And why shouldn't we rip this guy for his lack of grip on reality? We lambaste Strachan and Garrioch all the time, and they're actual legitimated columnists. We also stick it to Eklund's crazier rumors a lot. The only difference between this guy's situation and Eklund's is that Ek pays for a dedicated site.

Oh, and his Cheechoo/Michalek idea is the most insane suggestion I've seen in a long time.

Old
02-05-2006, 07:43 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
and.. Parrish is a UFA

Closed Thread