HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Via Gord Stellick, "Salaries of free agent signees didn't play well"

Old
03-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Ball1374

vCash: 500
Via Gord Stellick, "Salaries of free agent signees didn't play well"

Found this interesting from Kuklas Korner, and interviewer Gord Stellick of CBC.

Quote:
Buffalo Sabre GM Darcy Regier acknowledged to me on a Hockey Night in Canada Radio interview that free agency has its drawbacks along with its positives. The Sabres were aggressive in adding the likes of Robyn Regeher, Christian Ehrhoff and Ville Leino with a new owner willing to open his wallet. The downside, as Regier and the Sabres soon found out was that it also through the appropriate pecking order of their team salaries out of whack. The newcomers were making more than Sabre holdovers that were more talented players.

That didn’t play well in the Sabre dressing room and was a significant reason for their struggles in the first half of the season.
http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...n_hockey_talk/

Ball1374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:58 PM
jamers
bleep bop bloop

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball1374 View Post
Found this interesting from Kuklas Korner, and interviewer Gord Stellick of CBC.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...n_hockey_talk/
Significant reason? I doubt Darcy told him that. It wouldn't surprise me if it came into play, but wouldn't this have gotten more response if there were a legitimate source?

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:04 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
Significant reason? I doubt Darcy told him that. It wouldn't surprise me if it came into play, but wouldn't this have gotten more response if there were a legitimate source?
The only thing I see directly attributed to Regier is the ups and downs of free agency.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

What a bunch of kids .

Connor McDavid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:06 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Wow, Darcy being thrown under the bus.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:07 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
The only thing I see directly attributed to Regier is the ups and downs of free agency.
Yeah, not a chance in hell Darcy told anyone that salaries caused a problem in the room.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jamers
bleep bop bloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Right, which is why I'm questioning that last statement that it was a "significant reason" and who his source is.

Old
LGB24

But they played well in Europe and in the first month of the season. Why didn't it affect them then? How come in magically started affecting their play a month or so in then just vanished at the all star break?

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:08 PM
jamers
bleep bop bloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
But they played well in Europe and in the first month of the season. Why didn't it affect them then? How come in magically started affecting their play a month or so in then just vanished at the all star break?
After Lucic ran Miller, he chirped the Sabres on their FA salaries.

Old
03-08-2012, 01:09 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Yeah, not a chance in hell Darcy told anyone that salaries caused a problem in the room.
Needs repeating ... Absorbed.

I wonder what Puckish thinks ....

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:12 PM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

I am looking into this a little too much, but i can't take a blog/article seriously when they spell "through" when they mean "threw."

I am sure there is something behind the salaries and the pecking order that Darcy "through out of whack" but i doubt it was the largest factor in the Sabres' struggles.

I would say injuries and chemistry played a larger role.

e- keep forgetting the Lucic hit and how it effectively neutered this Sabres squad.

1point21Gigawatts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
It is possible that once the chips were down, when the injury crisis was growing to its ridiculous peak, that people in the 'room were having issues with payroll at that point. The Euro-trip was all sunshine and roses. It's not until Miller's truckin' and the injury plague that some things start to fray -- wouldn't surprise that money is one of 'em. Hope the guys have grown up a bit, since in the "real" world of NHL rosters, this is far more regular.

03-08-2012, 01:48 PM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
Really? Jealousy over salaries? Grow the **** up. You are all millionaires and live in the cheapest city to live in in the entire country. If that isn't proof that there needs to be significant changes in the locker room, I don't know what is.

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:50 PM
jamers
bleep bop bloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
It is possible that once the chips were down, when the injury crisis was growing to its ridiculous peak, that people in the 'room were having issues with payroll at that point. The Euro-trip was all sunshine and roses. It's not until Miller's truckin' and the injury plague that some things start to fray -- wouldn't surprise that money is one of 'em. Hope the guys have grown up a bit, since in the "real" world of NHL rosters, this is far more regular.
THIS I could see happening, but I'd still quibble over the word choice.

Old
03-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
THIS I could see happening, but I'd still quibble over the word choice.
It's not the first place I've heard this sort of rumbling -- not the authoring, the salary thing. First time I've seen it in print though... Once things got "hard" some hard feelings came up.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 02:09 PM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hock...ch-1-2012.html

Darcy was on last Thursday's show.

Too bad I don't see a podcast to download....

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 02:16 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Yeah, I can totally see it....

Roy: "You gave Leino more money than I make, when I've had multiple 70+ point seasons FOR YOU and he's had 1 decent season on a stacked team?!?!?!?"

Yep, we've mentioned this before as a group in passing but it is totally believable.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hock...ch-1-2012.html

Darcy was on last Thursday's show.

Too bad I don't see a podcast to download....
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockeynight...#id=2204358234

Woodhouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 03:22 PM
CrankyJay

Ain't nothing like securing a valuable follow-on contract by playing like dog**** because you're worried about the guy next to you making more money.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

yeah I'm not at all surprised, I think a lot of HFers suspected some butt hurtedness from the likes of Stafford and a few other poutty mouths.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post

Roy: "You gave Leino more money than I make, when I've had multiple 70+ point seasons FOR YOU and he's had 1 decent season on a stacked team?!?!?!?"

Yep, we've mentioned this before as a group in passing but it is totally believable.

Honestly, he was the first person that came to mind. I don't mean to single him out and I know nobody honestly knows what kind of person Roy is, or what his thoughts are. But with everything that has been said about the guy over the years, it's hard not to think he would/act be like that.

Fly Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post

if Derek Roy wasn't the first person you thought when reading that article, I don't know who is....

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
yeah I'm not at all surprised, I think a lot of HFers suspected some butt hurtedness from the likes of Stafford and a few other poutty mouths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post

Honestly, he was the first person that came to mind. I don't mean to single him out and I know nobody honestly knows what kind of person Roy is, or what his thoughts are. But with everything that has been said about the guy over the years, it's hard not to think he would/act be like that.
The only forwards making more than Stafford and Roy are Vanek and Leino ($6m this year). Vanek has been here some time, so I doubt those guys would have an issue now considering Vanek's more expensive years are out of the way. And I don't really see why Stafford would be "********" when he just signed a lucrative contract in the offseason, and probably recognizes that the cap hit is somewhat stifled by the fact that there were RFA years in there. Roy's salary is going up ($4.5m this year, $5.5m next year), so I can't really see him being too upset about things, either--given that he's a UFA next summer, I'd be happy as a clam if I were him knowing that some owner is going to give me a huge payday in short order.

If anyone's mad, I think it'd be the guys who the organization went to the wall with to keep their salaries down so that they could afford the UFAs: Weber, Grags, and Enroth.

I'd like to hear the actual words from Darcy first, too

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:20 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Anyone want to transcribe the Darcy segment for those that can't see the video due to firewalls.......

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
It would seem obvious why - when they began the season with 10-5 in the first 15 games or so, the prevailing logic was that the newcomers (Leino, Ehrhoff) needed time to "gel" and were given the benefit of the doubt for not getting off to great starts. However, by the 30 game mark, the losses started happening more often while the production / play of the new guys still wasn't contributing as was expected. It's possible too that Leino's reluctance to play center and asking the coach to put him on wing probably didn't help his cause in terms of gaining the respect of his new teammates.

Quote:
Very possible - especially when many of the underachievers that got big raises in the summer (Leino, Stafford, Ehrhoff) weren't the first ones to get injured and were thus being relied to help pick up the slack for the ones that were knocked out by injuries.

Quote:
It's not the first place I've heard this sort of rumbling -- not the authoring, the salary thing. First time I've seen it in print though... Once things got "hard" some hard feelings came up.
I remember Elliotte Friedman bringing up the salary resentment issue on a HNIC broadcast last fall, as did EJ Hradek on NHL Live. I think Friedman implied he heard the rumblings from "someone close to the organization".

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote