HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers @ Senators

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-08-2012, 10:28 PM
  #51
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream
 
Ave Maria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Westchester,NY
Country: Italy
Posts: 2,463
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
Turnover turnover turnovers

Ave Maria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:28 PM
  #52
Killem Dafoe
Moderator
k.
 
Killem Dafoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Land of Bad Drivers
Country: United States
Posts: 16,172
vCash: 50
i still have no idea why we traded for Scott. honestly. he hasn't even been in a fight yet. Prust will continue fighting while Scott looks on. it's retarded

Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:29 PM
  #53
Machinehead
Moderator
Hank, pls
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 36,852
vCash: 500
And then it's always "they're still playing hard" over on MSG...as if any team in the NHL doesn't

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:30 PM
  #54
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,565
vCash: 500
We haven't been able to establish a forecheck. I think our players are just run down playing a grind and grit style. You need to win some games based on skill. You can't keep your foot on the pedal all season plus playoffs.

I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but this team needs to develop a puck possession game. In our system, we defer the puck a lot. Let the play come back into our zone, and then retrieve the puck. We hope that with our physicality we can work down an opposing team in the offensive zone.

However, its showing we simply cannot do that forever. It was problem last season, it is becoming a problem this season. This team is turning into a "one trick pony." If we can't beat you physically we can't beat you at all.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:30 PM
  #55
IBleedNYRBlue
Registered User
 
IBleedNYRBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
i still have no idea why we traded for Scott. honestly. he hasn't even been in a fight yet. Prust will continue fighting while Scott looks on. it's retarded
He had a breakaway tonight.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:31 PM
  #56
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck
 
NYRFAN218's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
i still have no idea why we traded for Scott. honestly. he hasn't even been in a fight yet. Prust will continue fighting while Scott looks on. it's retarded
I've given Scott a chance but it's apparent the guy can't play hockey. I guess he's alright to keep around for games against the Flyers but he really serves no purpose other than that.

__________________
http://hfboards.com/image.php?u=53946&type=sigpic&dateline=1320361610
NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:31 PM
  #57
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss
 
Glen Teflon Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,183
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
I'm gonna try a bottom 6 of Scott-Rupp-Bickell, Prust-Newbury-Deveaux in NHL 12 and just go around and face wash every one

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:32 PM
  #58
MisterUnspoken
Vintage
 
MisterUnspoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 10,080
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Not to be a downer but if they don't fix this thing soon this is starting to look like the 1990-91 season; they were in first most of the year and in the final few weeks Pittsburgh overtook them and the Rangers got bounced in round 1.
I was going to post this same thing as soon as the Pens pass us for 1st in the East. Falling to 4th however might not be a bad idea considering who the Rangers would likely end up playing (Philly).

- Turnovers in the neutral zone... this has increased substantially lately
- D-zone coverage ... again it's been terrible for four straight games
- Shots on goal/offense ... zero creativity out there, no shots, no effort to get open. It's terrible
- Bottom lines ... useless lately
- Goaltending ... substandard at best

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:35 PM
  #59
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
I was going to post this same thing as soon as the Pens pass us for 1st in the East. Falling to 4th however might not be a bad idea considering who the Rangers would likely end up playing (Philly).

- Turnovers in the neutral zone... this has increased substantially lately
- D-zone coverage ... again it's been terrible for four straight games
- Shots on goal/offense ... zero creativity out there, no shots, no effort to get open. It's terrible
- Bottom lines ... useless lately
- Goaltending ... substandard at best
We play too much on the boards, and we aren't a creative team behind the net. But that is our system, we play like that so we can minimize odd man rushes, and force the opposing man D to bring the puck 200 feet.

However, its absolutely killer when teams tighten up down the stretch. If we had a team of skilled power forwards though, we would be nasty. Unfortunately our skill guys aren't that big.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:39 PM
  #60
MisterUnspoken
Vintage
 
MisterUnspoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 10,080
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
We play too much on the boards, and we aren't a creative team behind the net. But that is our system, we play like that so we can minimize odd man rushes, and force the opposing man D to bring the puck 200 feet.

However, its absolutely killer when teams tighten up down the stretch. If we had a team of skilled power forwards though, we would be nasty. Unfortunately our skill guys aren't that big.
Sad thing is that the odd man rushes have increased lately as well.


Last edited by MisterUnspoken: 03-08-2012 at 10:40 PM. Reason: holy typo
MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:41 PM
  #61
shelaur22
Registered User
 
shelaur22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
It's time for the "mentors" and leaders in the locker room to step up. This team isn't quite in a tailspin but the last few games they have looked like a shadow of their former selves.

shelaur22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:41 PM
  #62
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,565
vCash: 500
Also the puck support in the offensive zone is joke. WAY too often I see forwards standing right next to each other in the zone(I would assume to try to dig for pucks, but they don't do ****), most of the time they are taking away space from themselves.

Just once I would like a forward to get position behind the net and then send the puck to a forward at the half circles. Giving the shooter enough space to either shoot or drive to the net. Instead our forwards go right in front of the net when our puck carrier is behind the net. Effectively taking away space.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:43 PM
  #63
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Sad thing is that the odd man rushes have increased lately as well.
True, but most of those odd man rushes are transitional turnovers. Not from cycling behind the net.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:44 PM
  #64
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
I'm gonna try a bottom 6 of Scott-Rupp-Bickell, Prust-Newbury-Deveaux in NHL 12 and just go around and face wash every one
I like it; they should set up a stand in the middle of the ice, "Hey, get your free face washes."

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:44 PM
  #65
MisterUnspoken
Vintage
 
MisterUnspoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 10,080
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Also the puck support in the offensive zone is joke. WAY too often I see forwards standing right next to each other in the zone(I would assume to try to dig for pucks, but they don't do ****), most of the time they are taking away space from themselves.

Just once I would like a forward to get position behind the net and then send the puck to a forward at the half circles. Giving the shooter enough space to either shoot or drive to the net. Instead our forwards go right in front of the net when our puck carrier is behind the net. Effectively taking away space.
Agree with this as well. It definitely falls into the "lack of creativity" category

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:50 PM
  #66
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 18,127
vCash: 500
Don't worry guys, there is plenty of time left in this hockey game to come back and... wait, it's over? Oh well, we'll get 'em next time guys.

Good god, Pittsburgh is licking their collective chops right now.

This isn't a bad team, it's a mediocre team that has played over its head for 60 games. Look at the bottom-six for the love of God.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:53 PM
  #67
shelaur22
Registered User
 
shelaur22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
FYI, the Flyers are only two points behind the Pens now. So everyone is surging. And the Blues are first in the league in points now.

shelaur22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:54 PM
  #68
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Don't worry guys, there is plenty of time left in this hockey game to come back and... wait, it's over? Oh well, we'll get 'em next time guys.

Good god, Pittsburgh is licking their collective chops right now.

This isn't a bad team, it's a mediocre team that has played over its head for 60 games. Look at the bottom-six for the love of God.
I disagree, they are a good team(some nights they are VERY good team). They just aren't a versatile team. Right now we are worn out team physically and it shows. Our system requires physical jump.

I agree that our bottom six isn't too great however.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:56 PM
  #69
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Happy holidays! :)
 
Megustaelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelaur22 View Post
FYI, the Flyers are only two points behind the Pens now. So everyone is surging. And the Blues are first in the league in points now.
Play the way the Rangers did tonight, and lose ground to everyone.

Megustaelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:57 PM
  #70
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank
 
KingWantsCup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,422
vCash: 350
Terribad.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:58 PM
  #71
ltsthinaz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kingman, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 598
vCash: 500
We had like 25 scoring chances in the first two periods and scored one goal. They had 2 and both wound up in the net. At one point Biron had two goals on 4 sdhots. Remember, Ottawa had 7, count 'em, 7 shots in two periods. Any decent offense would have been ahead 5-0.

Two of the three Ottawa goals were off controllable rebounds. The Ottawa goalie looked shaky in the first period, of course, they did nothing - just do not have any finishers on this team. Anisimov is back to doing nothing.

Only positive in this game was Richards playing well - wasn't his fault no one can bury the puck.

That said (no more comments from me on the powerless play, everyone knowsd they're going nowhere this year without a PP), not time to commit suicide. Have 7 home games in a row coming up. Take 10-12 points out of them and they'll finish first. Having a game every other day with no travel isn't a "brutal schedule".

One final thought - can we get rid of Ron Duguay on MSG, at least get someone who can analyze games honestly.

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:01 PM
  #72
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
Play the way the Rangers did tonight, and lose ground to everyone.
Maybe, but even so I am not panicking. The way I see it, this franchise is ahead of schedule in regards to competing for the cup.

This whole season is just another step. The best is yet to come(and its been pretty damn good thus far)...

Don't lose perspective guys, we might very well be seeing the golden age of Rangers hockey.

Its ok to be disappointed with the loss, but don't jump off the cliff regardless of what happens the rest of the season.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:05 PM
  #73
ltsthinaz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kingman, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Maybe, but even so I am not panicking. The way I see it, this franchise is ahead of schedule in regards to competing for the cup.

This whole season is just another step. The best is yet to come(and its been pretty damn good thus far)...

Don't lose perspective guys, we might very well be seeing the golden age of Rangers hockey.

Its ok to be disappointed with the loss, but don't jump off the cliff regardless of what happens the rest of the season.
Kind of agree with you, I believe in building a powerhouse bit by bit, which we are doing. I would still not have traded the franchise for Nash. Have some cap room, develop our young talent and bring in a little bit more in free agency and compete for the Cup every year for the next decade.

That said, it is frustrating to watch this team struggle offensively. My definition of torture is watchingthe Ranger power play, waiting forever for them to stop passing the puck around the perimeter and take a shot before they turn it over.

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:08 PM
  #74
SwedeAmerican
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 106
vCash: 500
90-91 season

Like the other poster said...this is really starting to resemble what happened in the 90-91 season. I'm guessing most posters here aren't old enough to remember that season but they lost 8 in a row in March (not saying that's gonna happen this season) and after holding 1st for most of the season got passed by Pittsburgh late and then lost in the first round to the Caps. Pitt of course went on to win their first cup. Anybody remember the captain at that time? He wore #11 and his name wasn't Messier. He was one of the worst captains in team history...

SwedeAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:11 PM
  #75
ltsthinaz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kingman, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeAmerican View Post
Like the other poster said...this is really starting to resemble what happened in the 90-91 season. I'm guessing most posters here aren't old enough to remember that season but they lost 8 in a row in March (not saying that's gonna happen this season) and after holding 1st for most of the season got passed by Pittsburgh late and then lost in the first round to the Caps. Pitt of course went on to win their first cup. Anybody remember the captain at that time? He wore #11 and his name wasn't Messier. He was one of the worst captains in team history...
Kelly Kisio, if I recall.

Rangers also went on to win the President's trophy the next year and the Cup two years later - I recall I went to the Hockey Hall of Fame early in 1993 to have my picture taken with the Stanley Cup, figuring I'd never get to see the Rangers win it after they didn't in 1991-92. What did I know?

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.