HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you still want Capuano back?

View Poll Results: Do you want Jack back for the 2012-13 season
Yes, he deserves to finish out his contract 16 11.35%
Absolutely Not 99 70.21%
Yes, but only if the other option is Doug Weight 26 18.44%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-02-2012, 11:05 PM
OlTimeHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossyMVP View Post
[/B]

I would take Dipietro before Milbury. How dare you! Garth is God over milbury.
Yeah, well the God didn't get the defensemen the mortal did. The mortal was awful, but the God is just......how about we aim higher than Milbury who at least made the playoffs the first year of his rebuild? (with the same owner)

How about Neil Smith or better, someone who made both of the above banjo players from Deliverance look even worse?

On Snow/Milbury, one got Moulson. One got Aucoin. One got Grabner. One got Blake.

There is an argument to Milbury being better at the job despite insufferable f-ups. I wonder what the sum total of walkaway quality players not signed was for both?

Again, an academic argument and in no way endorsing bringing Milbury back.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Isles Junkie

Milbury obviously wasn't afraid to make deals. Garth quivers at the thought of one of his assets scoring a goal elsewhere. Dinglebury obviously set this team back, and in many ways we're still paying for it through USS Anchor 2021. However, he's also made some really great moves, like Aucoin, Jonsson, Hamrlik etc.

Ideally you want someone who has hired the right people to run the draft like Garth has. And pin point the players that you won't trade unless really overwhelmed. But at the same time, not be afraid to pull the trigger on a deal.

I don't know why this guy thinks that if he trades Grabner, Lee, and the 1st for a top 6 winger, then the future is ruined. This is a top 3 prospect pool in the entire league. It's a bottom 5 top 9 in the entire league. Use your strength & bring in some good players already. Stop being a damned *****

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:49 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Milbury obviously wasn't afraid to make deals. Garth quivers at the thought of one of his assets scoring a goal elsewhere. Dinglebury obviously set this team back, and in many ways we're still paying for it through USS Anchor 2021. However, he's also made some really great moves, like Aucoin, Jonsson, Hamrlik etc.

Ideally you want someone who has hired the right people to run the draft like Garth has. And pin point the players that you won't trade unless really overwhelmed. But at the same time, not be afraid to pull the trigger on a deal.

I don't know why this guy thinks that if he trades Grabner, Lee, and the 1st for a top 6 winger, then the future is ruined. This is a top 3 prospect pool in the entire league. It's a bottom 5 top 9 in the entire league. Use your strength & bring in some good players already. Stop being a damned *****
IF YOU ARE INEPT AS A GM.....

You want people to remember the hits and not the misses. So Grabner had a GREAT year....then a so-so sophmore year with the team. Snow DESPERATELY wants Grabs to rebound, moreso than find help. For his Grabner, Moulson, Tavares and Streit, he also has Mottau, Eaton, Nino and Rolston, as well as Pandolfo, Bailey, Konopka and other mishandlings.

I think Garth's bright spot will be the goaltending, but Nabby, Monty, Poulin and Mikko, you name it will be weighed against his being GM when we signed the 800lb gorilla of the payroll.

So many screw ups, Garth being inept, he's riding on the few successes as much as he can. Bring in a good GM and suddenly, there's no pride riding on the players or worry about Mottau types, just a new approach to managing assets.

And it's critical the right guy is using the assets, what few, we have.

Old
03-03-2012, 12:23 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
IF YOU ARE INEPT AS A GM.....

You want people to remember the hits and not the misses. So Grabner had a GREAT year....then a so-so sophmore year with the team. Snow DESPERATELY wants Grabs to rebound, moreso than find help. For his Grabner, Moulson, Tavares and Streit, he also has Mottau, Eaton, Nino and Rolston, as well as Pandolfo, Bailey, Konopka and other mishandlings.

I think Garth's bright spot will be the goaltending, but Nabby, Monty, Poulin and Mikko, you name it will be weighed against his being GM when we signed the 800lb gorilla of the payroll.

So many screw ups, Garth being inept, he's riding on the few successes as much as he can. Bring in a good GM and suddenly, there's no pride riding on the players or worry about Mottau types, just a new approach to managing assets.

And it's critical the right guy is using the assets, what few, we have.
Garth has done a good job with payroll management with the players he needs to worry about. Mainly Tavares.

Okposo has a great deal too, but, ya know, he kinda sucks now.
Grabs, same thing. Great deal, too bad he isn't scoring.
Franzy as well.

He has signed his (more important) players to reasonable deals and needs to be recognized for that.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 01:20 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
Garth has done a good job with payroll management with the players he needs to worry about. Mainly Tavares.

Franzy as well.

He has signed his (more important) players to reasonable deals and needs to be recognized for that.
Yeah, he does. While he can't sign players and his roster is a mess, he has done well in contracts that he got done. He didn't go overboard with contracts. But that said, he hasn't made LI more attractive and he hasn't gotten those players he did sign enough help to succeed (this includes coaches).

Now managing payroll, we grossly overpaid for one Rolston instead of grossly overpaying for a useful player that would HELP our kids and signees.

Old
03-03-2012, 05:41 AM
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Again, an academic argument and in no way endorsing bringing Milbury back.
Agreed - but this was when Charles was willing to spend money. While Snow is the guy negotiating contracts, he can only offer what Wang's willing to pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post

Franzy as well.

The above points are a good portion of why if I have to throw anyone under the bus, Wang goes first.

Quote:
Yeah, he does. While he can't sign players and his roster is a mess, he has done well in contracts that he got done. He didn't go overboard with contracts. But that said, he hasn't made LI more attractive and he hasn't gotten those players he did sign enough help to succeed (this includes coaches).

Now managing payroll, we grossly overpaid for one Rolston instead of grossly overpaying for a useful player that would HELP our kids and signees.
I had always interpreted the Rolston trade as ridding the team of Hunter's 2-year contract for Rolston's twice-as-high inflated one-year contract all for the sake of meeting the cap floor with a player who *may* have a shot at retaining his game, which Hunter could not (and hasn't in NJ/LA, to my knowledge.) As much as I loved Trent Hunter when he could....you know, skate and shoot, that trade IMO was predicated on the crapshoot that Rolston could have more durability/more left in the tank than Hunter, while assisting the team more than Hunter from a payroll perspective.

Snow was the correct GM for drafting building blocks, and that seems to be about it - there's an awesome farm system in place now, and a GM free to move without payroll hinderance could turn this sinking ship around fairly quick. Snow could have been that person and still could be, depending on how much of the stigma around the Islanders comes from Wang himself should some magical hypothetical new owner decide to keep him in the stable. Undoubtedly a new owner hiring an experienced GM & coach could nip the issue in the bud, as even Isles' fans are split on how much of the team's problem is directly from Snow, Wang or both, and the RIGHT new blood could fix everything all at once.

It may sound crazy, but purely hypothetically speaking, if Snow were fired 24 hours before Dean Lombardi was fired from the Kings and Snow managed to get himself hired in LA, I think he could pilot the GM's chair admirably, considering the resources and current progress of LA's resurgence. As for the Islanders, I can't shake the opinion that with Wang as the owner, Snow is essentially tasked to kill a grizzly bear with a guitar pick. Thus, Capuano is tasked to do the same. The only thing that changes with a new GM & coach without a new owner is we get a new scapegoat working under whatever restraints WANG has on the team.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 08:26 AM
StrongIslanders90

Were not signing impact fee agents.....I say Nino de Hann Grabner and 1st round picks should all be in play if it means aquiring top players that can REALLY make a differance....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:42 AM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

Scratch Randy Carlyle off the list of desired coaches by Isles fans.
It appears Ron Wilson was fired by the LEafs, and Carlyle is not their head coach.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:24 PM
JPIsles21

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I don't know who should coach this team. The team lacks talent, they are extremely poorly constructed, they lack elements of players that would allow them to compete.
A coach with a structured, defensive system could help - but roster changes would need to happen as well.

For example, you can't have players like Parenteau, Grabner, Nino, on a HItchcock/Tortorella type system. Yet, players like Rupp, Prust can thrive.

You can't win in the NHL with soft players who don't score enough, take bad penalties, turn the puck over, cannot sustain a forecheck or win puck battles.

Certainly Parenteau's been solid this year, he's put up some great numbers, but I'd prefer a Dustin Brown type. Moulson can score when Tavares sets him up, but he can't win a puck battle, doesn't skate (forechecking, puck pursuit) so his linemates must compensate.

Tough to criticize the top line since they are one of the best lines in the NHL but my point is that a coach's impact is not only a factor of overall TALENT, but also the make-up of the team.

Next year, we may need to play guys like deHaan, Donovan, Ness, Nino, Strome, Ullstrom, Rakhshani or Cizikas....and NONE of these guys will be able to make the team better than they have been this year. All have POTENTIAL and in 2-3 years, they may be impact-type NHL players but to EXPECT that next year is simply foolish.

We're a long way from Sept 2012 and this thread is about a coaching change (potentially) but not even Jesus could coach this group to a playoff berth.
I'd like a better coach, a coach who emphasizes defense, who gets better results - but I'd like to see the personnel addressed at the same time.

Otherwise, you're just setting the next guy up for disappointment and failure, Weight or no Weight.
I don't disagree with the notion that this team is poorly constructed. And while guys like PAP and Grabner may not be ideal hard-nosed players, you don't need them to be to play the kind of hockey it takes to win. Coaching goes a long way in terms of setting roles for the players already on your team and by emphasizing the way you want them to play.

This team needs a tough coach. Somebody that emphasizes work ethic and sets a defensive system that involves hard work while allowing your best players to put up points.

Furthermore, we need a coach to make the best of what he has. I've belabored this point in other posts, but today's Staple tweet really pissed me off. It read something like "Grabner, Reese healthy scratches." Pandolfo (49-1-1-2, -11) and Reasoner (46-0-5-5, -17) are playing! If I were GM and this was the lineup my coach thinks gives the team the best chance of winning, I fire him immediately. It's not that Grabner has been lighting the world on fire, it's that a coach should never undermine the principal of playing the best possible lineup on any given night. Capuano's lack of doing so can only lead somebody to one of two conclusions 1) he doesn't care if we win or lose, 2) he is too incompetent to evaluate the players on his team. Both reasons are grounds for immediate dismissal.

JPIsles21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 02:03 PM
Isles Junkie

are we even sure that Capuano and his coaching staff set the lineup?

Don't forget that one of the assistant coaches is also an assistant GM.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 02:22 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post
It's not that Grabner has been lighting the world on fire, it's that a coach should never undermine the principal of playing the best possible lineup on any given night. Capuano's lack of doing so can only lead somebody to one of two conclusions 1) he doesn't care if we win or lose, 2) he is too incompetent to evaluate the players on his team. Both reasons are grounds for immediate dismissal.
It's possible that the coach believes that sitting Grabner for 1,2 or 3 games (like he did with Okposo) will somehow "get him going" - who knows.

I've been very disappointed in Grabner's game this year, as have many of us...but it's tough to disagree with you. Even as a 4th line 6min/night plugger, Grabner's better than anyone on our 4th line.

Now, Grabner's not in the NHL, signed for four more years and $15MM total, because he is better than Reasoner or Pandolfo. They need him to be a top six player, a scorer who is NOT a liability without the puck. And Grabs hasn't been good enough this year.

Again, hard to scratch a player when you're tasked with winning, yet you play others who are far worse...problem is, HALF THE ROSTER is horrible.

Sadly, the team has a BETTER chance to win if they call up: Donovan, deHaan, Ness, Rakhshani, Haley, along with Ullstrom, Cizikas and the other "boys" on the team. That's simply a very clear picture of how bad the players in the NHL are this year. And golden boy Niederreiter (whom I still like a great deal as a PROSPECT) is probably the worst forward on the team right now.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 02:50 PM
JPIsles21

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
It's possible that the coach believes that sitting Grabner for 1,2 or 3 games (like he did with Okposo) will somehow "get him going" - who knows.

I've been very disappointed in Grabner's game this year, as have many of us...but it's tough to disagree with you. Even as a 4th line 6min/night plugger, Grabner's better than anyone on our 4th line.

Now, Grabner's not in the NHL, signed for four more years and $15MM total, because he is better than Reasoner or Pandolfo. They need him to be a top six player, a scorer who is NOT a liability without the puck. And Grabs hasn't been good enough this year.

Again, hard to scratch a player when you're tasked with winning, yet you play others who are far worse...problem is, HALF THE ROSTER is horrible.

Sadly, the team has a BETTER chance to win if they call up: Donovan, deHaan, Ness, Rakhshani, Haley, along with Ullstrom, Cizikas and the other "boys" on the team. That's simply a very clear picture of how bad the players in the NHL are this year. And golden boy Niederreiter (whom I still like a great deal as a PROSPECT) is probably the worst forward on the team right now.
We have won 2 in a row despite Pandolfo being in the lineup. That's not to be mistaken with "we have won 2 in a row because Pandolfo is in the lineup."

Our 4th liners get on average, 10 minutes a game. That means they are on the ice 17 percent of the time. 17 % of the game we are exposed with non-NHL quality players. Once in a while they play foosball in the offensive or defensive zone, just swinging at pucks with no real control to make it look like they "cycle" or play "solid defense." However, 17% is a huge chunk of time for a team not talented enough on the first 3 lines. With that, it's hard justifying sitting a guy who is pretty effective on the PK and backchecking in Grabner for a putz like Pandolfo. Playing him on the 4th line would be just as effective at "sending a message" than scratching him all together. As disappointing as Grabner has been, he does have 15 goals on the season, and he has not been a liability defensively (no more than Pandolfo).

Unless it's an injury, or he is still ill, there is 0 excuse for not playing your best guys.

Citing AHL call-ups as improvements is interesting. Particularly when most people did not think that our AHL lineup was talented enough to compete in the beginning of the year. Thompson has done a wonderful job not only winning, but developing our prospects. Another example of how a competent coach makes the best of what he's got.

We need a better coach. I am now convinced of this.

JPIsles21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 02:50 PM
4straight

as much as i agree that we are in desperate need for an experienced nhl coach, why wouldnt you guys perfer weight to cappy. both inexperienced so no improvement there, weight is extremely passionate, has multiple facial expressions, has played with the players so he probably has a step up as far as respect goes from the guys, and our special teams has had a huge improvement this year while weight is directing them.

the negatives that come with weight are already the negatives we experience with cappy.

like i said, id rather have neither and hire somebody experienced from outside the organization. but if thats not an option, why would you perfer cappy to weight?

4straight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Knish Of The Crease

I don't want either of those bafoons coaching here next season.

Knish Of The Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 04:20 PM
JKP

I think Cappy's a nice guy. He's probably a decent coach. He seems like a guy I'd like to have a beer with.

But he's not what this team needs. They need (and I've said this a lot) a disciplinarian that will teach then to play hard, smart and simple hockey all the time, or else they won't like the consequences.

No more dipsy-doodling, no more of these annoying cross the middle passes in your zone and the neutral zone. No more letting up and not finishing your checks.

Skate hard. Shoot. Go to the net. Get in someone's face. And for the love of god, learn to clear the damn defensive zone when the puck is on your stick on the PK.

They need to be taught all this by a guy that has done it before.

They need to respect that the guy has done it before.

They need to fear the consequences of not doing what they're supposed to 100% of the time.

They need a little discomfort in their lives.

They need to care a lot more during every second of every minute of every shift of every period of every game.

They need less time on Twitter and more bag skates.

* most of this doesn't apply to JT. I think he's wired like a machine that is already focused like this.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 04:30 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post

I think Cappy's a nice guy. He's probably a decent coach. He seems like a guy I'd like to have a beer with.

But he's not what this team needs. They need (and I've said this a lot) a disciplinarian that will teach then to play hard, smart and simple hockey all the time, or else they won't like the consequences.

No more dipsy-doodling, no more of these annoying cross the middle passes in your zone and the neutral zone. No more letting up and not finishing your checks.

Skate hard. Shoot. Go to the net. Get in someone's face. And for the love of god, learn to clear the damn defensive zone when the puck is on your stick on the PK.

They need to be taught all this by a guy that has done it before.

They need to respect that the guy has done it before.

They need to fear the consequences of not doing what they're supposed to 100% of the time.

They need a little discomfort in their lives.

They need to care a lot more during every second of every minute of every shift of every period of every game.

They need less time on Twitter and more bag skates.

* most of this doesn't apply to JT. I think he's wired like a machine that is already focused like this.
I'm really disappointed with your lack of passion on this subject.

Agreed on all points, except the twitter. There's something to be said for comraderie amongst the players. Being close off the ice is a good thing for these guys. Besides, it's better for us - information starved fans.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Bauer Warrior*

The history of Islander coaches is not good. Al Arbour stands on his own, obviously. Terry Simpson never resurfaced, so that speaks for itself, in my opinion. Al Arbour comes back, does a very good job with what he had, Al Arbour retires again, and then it became clusterchaos time. After Arbour came Lorne Henning, Mike Milbury, Rick Bowness, Mike Milbury, Butch Goring, Lorne Henning, Bill Stewart, Habib Lopez, Peter Laviolette, Mike Milbury, Steve Sterling, Ted Nolan, Brad Shaw, Scott Gordon, Jack Capuano.... out of order and I lose track.

What concerns me, and it's been like this for so long, this team lacks identity. Yeah, we have John Tavares, and he is clearly and deservedly the face of the franchise, but we have no identifiable style of play. We have a precocious John Tavares, a few late bloomers, and a number of guys who are trying to figure the NHL game out. And that's not a good thing.

A team is as good as its management. I think all of these players are NHL players, but they're in a mess of an organization, and they're not nurtured. I don't know if there is any coach who would do any better than Jack Capuano. I know a lot of people point to Ken Hitchock, but he's working for a sincere, compassionate, personable hockey guy in John Davidson, who I've always had the utmost respect for, and even as a Ranger broadcaster, I was a fan of his. Do you really think that Ken Hitchcock and Garth Snow could possibly have a productive relationship? Personally, I don't. Frankly, I think that Snow is the same prickly personality off the ice that he was on it. So there is no coach with a magic wand. The management team has to be on the same page, I don't expect any experienced and established coach to be on the same page as Charles and Garth. A team goes deeper than the coach and players.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 05:51 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
I know a lot of people point to Ken Hitchock, but he's working for a sincere, compassionate, personable hockey guy in John Davidson, who I've always had the utmost respect for, and even as a Ranger broadcaster, I was a fan of his.
OT, but I've heard Davidson has a strong distaste for the Islanders. You can probably guess why.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
OT, but I've heard Davidson has a strong distaste for the Islanders. You can probably guess why.
Does it rhyme with Barles Kong?

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 08:10 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
Does it rhyme with Barles Kong?

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 09:02 PM
19NYSports91

If I was the GM, I would have fired Capuano months ago and hired a legit NHL coach.....Oh wait, Wang doesn't want to pay a lot of money for a coach......

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Tavaresfan91

If wang isn't going to spend any money on players at least spend one on a good coach to develop the garbage we have

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:07 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Anyone else remember a story about JD jerking off over the Islanders losing a game? I don't think I'm making this up.

Needless to say, I'll pass on having a filthy, dirty Rangers "hero" anywhere near our team.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:12 PM
BaileyToOkposo

The real poll should be, Do you think Capuano will be the coach next year? I think he will which i do not want him to be

BaileyToOkposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Knish Of The Crease

What did the village idiot have to say in the post game?

Knish Of The Crease is offline   Reply With Quote