HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Biron = Vally = Brutal = Goodbye

Old
03-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

vCash: 500
I wouldn't give him Valiquette status yet.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:49 PM
MDL8981

He was horrific tonight. I mean the Rangers actually came out and played well the first 5-6 minutes...they controlled the play, got the early goal and had their forecheck going.

Then Biron lets in the softie to tie it up...and Ottawa controlled the rest of the game. I'm not solely blaming him as that one goal is no excuse for the Rangers to get outplayed for the next 50-55 minutes....but it definetly changed the momentum of the game and its a goal that simply cant be allowed.

MDL8981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:52 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below:Glass's Skill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
Sir, I assure you I have no "lack of hockey iq" - what a broadly arrogant thing to state.

Back on topic, regardless of the constant reminder of henrik's rest, it is time to try and win some of these games by calling upon our farm teams and most notibly CJ who has had very positive results at this level. Boron seems past his expiration date.
I'm sorry, but you're just proving you don't know what you're talking about. Biron is the backup goalie. He's going to spell Hank to keep him fresh for a playoff run. Calling up the AHL goalie to fill in down the stretch in the backup role only upsets his rhythm he's developing down in the AHL and potentially weakens Biron's ability to right himself up here. Biron is a better goalie than CJ, even if Biron is cold right now. In case of injury to Hank we should be more concerned with getting Biron right, than hoping against hope that CJ can be even marginally better than Biron right now in the handful of games he'd appear in the rest of the year.

You've been spoiled by watching Hank day in and day out year after year. Non-elite goalies go through ups and downs during the year. They're not all superstar robots. Biron is 11-4-2 on the year. Again, this is the backup.

I'd love to see you as a reporter asking Torts if he thinks we should bring up CJ to take over for Biron. He'd tear you a new one, and rightfully so.

Last edited by Kel Varnsen: 03-08-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:53 PM
ck20

Everyone acts like Hank would 100% without a doubt win all of these games that Biron has lost..And saying this dude is bad for morale? I think scoring 1 goal in each of the last 2 games and getting outscored 8-2 across 2 games is bad for morale. Hank will be nice and rested for POs when it matters and just pray to god our offense finds their groove again in a little over a month's time.

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:53 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below:Glass's Skill

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
Oh really? Now, that is just too much.
I'm calling a spade a spade.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:02 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
I'm sorry, but you're just proving you don't know what you're talking about. Biron is the backup goalie. He's going to spell Hank to keep him fresh for a playoff run. Calling up the AHL goalie to fill in down the stretch in the backup role only upsets his rhythm he's developing down in the AHL and potentially weakens Biron's ability to right himself up here. Biron is a better goalie than CJ, even if Biron is cold right now. In case of injury to Hank we should be more concerned with getting Biron right, than hoping against hope that CJ can be even marginally better than Biron right now in the handful of games he'd appear in the rest of the year.

You've been spoiled by watching Hank day in and day out year after year. Non-elite goalies go through ups and downs during the year. They're not all superstar robots. Biron is 11-4-2 on the year. Again, this is the backup.

I'd love to see you as a reporter asking Torts if he thinks we should bring up CJ to take over for Biron. He'd tear you a new one, and rightfully so.
I love when people dig themselves deeper in the ground. Review my post history and tell me the same. Quite childish, you've dipped your cards - I can read the rest.

CJ is down because he needs playing time, he is a finer player then MB and in fact people questioned him staying above Henrik when he first came up. I am not spoiled at all by Henrik, I think the majority of us posting in this and other threads see the fact that a backup netminder should have a chance to win a game. Biron has lost that ability. Good luck in life.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 12:50 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Greetings everyone. Welcome to where I was...like a month ago.

I remember Wolfgaze making fun of me for calling Biron terrible.

Here are the stats again, make your own assessments.

Game day, Save Percentage:
Mar 8 '12 NYR @ OTT 0.857
Mar 1 '12 NYR @ CAR 0.913
Feb 24 '12 NYR @ NYI 0.889
Feb 16 '12 CHI @ NYR 0.818
Feb 9 '12 TBL @ NYR 0.824
Jan 31 '12 NYR @ NJD 0.897
Jan 14 '12 NYR @ TOR 1
Jan 5 '12 FLA @ NYR 0.905
Dec 28 '11 NYR @ WSH 0.826
Total Save Percentage: 0.882
Save Percentage w/o the 1 shutout: 0.869

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 12:55 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Biron wasn't the sole reason we lost tonight, but that first goal he gave up COMPLETELY changed the way the team played. They were rocking and rolling, and then he gives up this piece of crap garbage goal, and the entire team just deflated right before our eyes.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:05 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
Everyone acts like Hank would 100% without a doubt win all of these games that Biron has lost..And saying this dude is bad for morale? I think scoring 1 goal in each of the last 2 games and getting outscored 8-2 across 2 games is bad for morale. Hank will be nice and rested for POs when it matters and just pray to god our offense finds their groove again in a little over a month's time.
I have no clue if Henrik wins this game or not tonight. All I so know is, when your goalie gives up a goal like that seconds after you take the lead, it deflates the team. Biron was awful on that first goal. The other 2 are debateable on whether he could have stopped em or not (the rebound control tonight was especially awful) but that first one, man that just broke this teams back.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:08 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

Biron is not terrible.

He's in a bad slump along with the D not exactly playing great for him. Those two together is a recipe of disaster. He's a damn backup goalie. He's been terrible LATELY, but overall he's been fine. Let's be thankful we actually had a backup win us a good amount of games for the season unlike other teams who have a revolving door as a backup. He's not Lundqvist. I don't understand why people continue to expect him to come out and post win after win.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:14 AM
mrhockey193195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
I love when people dig themselves deeper in the ground. Review my post history and tell me the same. Quite childish, you've dipped your cards - I can read the rest.

CJ is down because he needs playing time, he is a finer player then MB and in fact people questioned him staying above Henrik when he first came up. I am not spoiled at all by Henrik, I think the majority of us posting in this and other threads see the fact that a backup netminder should have a chance to win a game. Biron has lost that ability. Good luck in life.
Holy mother of god. No offense, but this is a great reminder of why I try and stay away from the boards as much as possible after losses. My goodness.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:14 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Greetings everyone. Welcome to where I was...like a month ago.

I remember Wolfgaze making fun of me for calling Biron terrible.

Here are the stats again, make your own assessments.

Game day, Save Percentage:
Mar 8 '12 NYR @ OTT 0.857
Mar 1 '12 NYR @ CAR 0.913
Feb 24 '12 NYR @ NYI 0.889
Feb 16 '12 CHI @ NYR 0.818
Feb 9 '12 TBL @ NYR 0.824
Jan 31 '12 NYR @ NJD 0.897
Jan 14 '12 NYR @ TOR 1
Jan 5 '12 FLA @ NYR 0.905
Dec 28 '11 NYR @ WSH 0.826
Total Save Percentage: 0.882
Save Percentage w/o the 1 shutout: 0.869
Please point out where I made fun of you? Biron isn't a terrible goaltender, he's struggling right now, get the difference? Maybe not.

Oh look the Rangers only gave up 21 shots tonight with Biron in net... By your standards for all the previous games, I guess we can assume the team played strong defense in front of him tonight right? Nevermind Girardi getting caught out of position and then deflecting the shot on goal, or Richards completely blowing his coverage and allowing Turris pick up the puck uncontested. You've shown no regard for how the team has played in any of these losses we've suffered with Biron in net, because all you want to do is look at shots against and call it a day and bash Biron.... He's struggling, anyone can see.... If the offense could play with any consistency, we'd be winning some of these games and some fans would be complaining a lot less....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
Biron is not terrible.

He's in a bad slump along with the D not exactly playing great for him. Those two together is a recipe of disaster. He's a damn backup goalie. He's been terrible LATELY, but overall he's been fine. Let's be thankful we actually had a backup win us a good amount of games for the season unlike other teams who have a revolving door as a backup. He's not Lundqvist. I don't understand why people continue to expect him to come out and post win after win.
No, no, no, Inferno says he's a terrible goaltender so who are we consider anything other than his last 8-10 games! Case closed.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 03-09-2012 at 01:19 AM.
wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:20 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Please point out where I made fun of you? Biron isn't a terrible goaltender, he's struggling right now, get the difference? Maybe not.

Oh look the Rangers only game up 21 shots tonight with Biron in net... By your standards for all the previous games, I guess we can assume the team played strong defense in front of him tonight right? Nevermind Girardi getting caught out of position and then deflecting the shot on goal, or Richards completely blowing his coverage and allowing Turris pick up the puck uncontested. You've shown no regard for how the team has played in any of these losses we've suffered with Biron in net, because all you want to do is look at shots against and call it a day and bash Biron.... He's struggling, anyone can see.... If the offense could play with any consistency, we'd be winning some of these games and some fans would be complaining a lot less....

make excuses all you want. Players sometimes are out of positions or deflect shots. This isn't a shooter tutor in net. He CAN move and make stops (in theory anyway, usually he just stays still or moves a 1/4 of an inch as the shot whizzes by him). He flubs his rebounds, he misses on unscreened shots from the top of the circles.

He's been putrid for a long while now. But go on making your excuses, the numbers speak for themselves and i think finally more ppl are coming to see what a few of us have seen for a long while. Biron has been playing some terrible games for us. He's lost us games with his play. i dont think it's any more damning than that. Maybe not tonight. it wasnt just him...but that first goal he gave up completely changed the momentum of the game. 999 out of 1000 goalies stop that shot. Biron barely moved as it whistled by him. The Rangers go from carrying the play to being unable to do anything for fear of giving up any shots. They held the Senators to 7 shots through 2 periods because any more and it would have been 5-1.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:20 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I think it makes sense to rest Lundqvist when we are so far ahead of anyone else in the East. Even if Biron costs us a few points, it probably won't cost us the first place and it will keep Lundqvist nice and fresh for the playoffs.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:21 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
Biron is not terrible.

a slump lasts a few games, or a few weeks. he's been awful since christmas....that's last calendar year. we're talking 2 and a half months of below average AT BEST goaltending.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:24 AM
OverTheCap

It's no coincidence that Biron is struggling at the same time that the defense is looking like garbage. He can't bail the D out like Hank does, that's why he's the back-up. Biron's play as of late as a bit concerning... but not nearly as disturbing as how the defense has played.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:26 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
make excuses all you want. Players sometimes are out of positions or deflect shots. This isn't a shooter tutor in net. He CAN move and make stops (in theory anyway, usually he just stays still or moves a 1/4 of an inch as the shot whizzes by him). He flubs his rebounds, he misses on unscreened shots from the top of the circles.

He's been putrid for a long while now. But go on making your excuses, the numbers speak for themselves and i think finally more ppl are coming to see what a few of us have seen for a long while. Biron has been playing some terrible games for us. He's lost us games with his play. i dont think it's any more damning than that. Maybe not tonight. it wasnt just him...but that first goal he gave up completely changed the momentum of the game. 999 out of 1000 goalies stop that shot. Biron barely moved as it whistled by him. The Rangers go from carrying the play to being unable to do anything for fear of giving up any shots. They held the Senators to 7 shots through 2 periods because any more and it would have been 5-1.
I've said twice now that he's struggling, yet I'm still making excuses for Biron. Right.

Good thing management doesn't write-off players after some poor outings the way you're willing to do... Playing poorly and being a "terrible" player are not one in the same, just so you know.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:33 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
I've said twice now that he's struggling, yet I'm still making excuses for Biron. Right.

Good thing management doesn't write-off players after some poor outings the way you're willing to do... Playing poorly and being a "terrible" player are not one in the same, just so you know.
He is a terrible player...Right now.

He was a good player early in the season when he could..you know...move laterally and not have a 5-hole the size of the goodyear blimp. Right now he's not giving the team a chance to win. I would hope we can at least agree on that.

I have zero faith in the guy when he's in net. Like I said before, id be wary about bringing him back next season. good teammate, seems like a nice guy, but not a good goalie. you want your backup goalie to at least be posting save percentages in the .910 range on a semi-regular basis. Biron has only done that what...twice in the past 3 months? something like that? And its not like he doesnt see many games...he's seeing a regular workload for backup goalies.

id rather find a goalie that can give us a full year of ~.910 goaltending, than a goalie who gives you a few months of .940 goaltending and then a few months of .880 goaltending.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:37 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

It's Lundqvist from this point forward anyways, I'd think - too bad Marty has had such a down year.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:40 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
He is a terrible player...Right now.

He was a good player early in the season when he could..you know...move laterally and not have a 5-hole the size of the goodyear blimp. Right now he's not giving the team a chance to win. I would hope we can at least agree on that.
Well next time please be a little more descriptive in your assessments because when you don't elaborate and just say Player X is 'terrible', then it comes off sounding a heck of a lot worse than elaborating that the player is just playing poorly/struggling. Makes it sound like you're writing them off from the organization. Gaborik played quite poorly in many games last season but we've seen him bounce back this season to regular form. Same could be said for Del Zotto last season and we know how many fans were ready to ship him outta town. I think Biron is still a capable back-up and I don't readily see better options available for next season.
He needs to pick up his game for sure, but the Rangers forwards also need to start producing with some consistency so our goaltenders aren't forced to win 1 and 2 goal games all the time.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:47 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Well next time please be a little more descriptive in your assessments because when you don't elaborate and just say Player X is 'terrible', then it comes off sounding a heck of a lot worse than elaborating that the player is just playing poorly/struggling. Makes it sound like you're writing them off from the organization. Gaborik played quite poorly in many games last season but we've seen him bounce back this season to regular form. Same could be said for Del Zotto last season and we know how many fans were ready to ship him outta town. I think Biron is still a capable back-up and I don't readily see better options available for next season.
He needs to pick up his game for sure, but the Rangers forwards also need to start producing with some consistency so our goaltenders aren't forced to win 1 and 2 goal games all the time.
see, i think its one thing to give the goalie a pass and blame the forwards in a game where the goalie is under seige the whole night and has to make 45 saves, most of them very difficult shots.

Biron is seeing like 20 shots a night, 3 of them are difficult, 2 of them beat him, and another 1 or 2 he should have stopped are beating him as well. I have a hard time blaming the D and forwards on that.

Maybe im a little bit more apt to side with the defenseman since i AM a defenseman, but i just think if youre expecting the team in front of him to play a perfect game, then you're expecting FAR too much. no team is going to play that well. Their goalie needs to be there sometimes to bail them out when they screw up. the giant dude for Ottawa made some good stops when they needed em. The 2 or 3 chances that Fedotenko had comes to mind, as does him getting to the post when Gabby had a chance to put home a shot.

Biron just isnt doing that right now, and it's getting late in the game, points are becoming important, our once insurmountable stranglehold on the division is quickly deteriorating, and a large part of the reason rests squarely on his shoulders.

on a side note, the talk about bringing in CJ is complete insanity.

You stick with Biron, you just don't play him...like....ever. Ride Henrik out from here on out until you have that #1 spot locked up. Then you can give Biron a few games to rest Henrik up.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:54 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

id also wager that no goalie has been as lucky with posts as Biron has...his numbers could be a lot uglier if some of those posts go in...

Old
03-09-2012, 02:14 AM
Rangerfan4life90

If we let Biron go after this season, I wouldn't mind giving Chad Johnson the backup job. I always thought he'd be a very good backup (not a starter replacing Henrik tho lmao)

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 03:19 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
If we let Biron go after this season, I wouldn't mind giving Chad Johnson the backup job. I always thought he'd be a very good backup (not a starter replacing Henrik tho lmao)
I never have said he was a starter over henrik but he could probably be a starter in this league.

This is unrelated to the above quoted:
Certain posters are very obtuse, and they point out how others are.

Marty's five is like hextall

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 03:44 AM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 2158
He may be playing terribly, but he should start no less than four games in the remainder of the regular season.