HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you still want Capuano back?

View Poll Results: Do you want Jack back for the 2012-13 season
Yes, he deserves to finish out his contract 16 11.35%
Absolutely Not 99 70.21%
Yes, but only if the other option is Doug Weight 26 18.44%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-08-2012, 10:49 PM
  #101
19 in a row
Registered User
 
19 in a row's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
No.......

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:55 PM
  #102
Bauer Warrior*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
Anyone else remember a story about JD jerking off over the Islanders losing a game? I don't think I'm making this up.

Needless to say, I'll pass on having a filthy, dirty Rangers "hero" anywhere near our team.

,
Mitch
That wasn't the point. The point was that an experienced and established NHL coach will go to work for someone like JD, but that same coach is likely to not want to work for Chaz and Garth.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:10 PM
  #103
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?
 
RoseTintedVisor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: bklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 4,317
vCash: 500
Paul Maurice.

Space Cowboy.

RoseTintedVisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:41 PM
  #104
mitchy22
Registered User
 
mitchy22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
That wasn't the point. The point was that an experienced and established NHL coach will go to work for someone like JD, but that same coach is likely to not want to work for Chaz and Garth.
That's fine. My point wasn't in opposition to the idea of a better owner, or GM, or coach. My advice would be to use a dirty-ex-Ranger-free example next time. My point was that I wouldn't swap Garth with JD. I'm fairly sure I stated that clearly as to why. It's not like I quoted your post and decided to pick it apart.

If I wanted to go further into detail, I'd point out that Peter Laviolette was an excellent coach and still is. Nolan was a good coach, but not the right coach for a rebuilding team. Brad Shaw was fine in his cup of coffee showing. I can't remember, but I think something tragic happened with him. That team he coached to a .500 record when he took over was a ****ing train wreck. Goring had that same team working hard, but it was still a train wreck.

What did any of these guys have to work with for any stretch of time?

Laviolette and Nolan had some semblance of a hockey club. What the **** did Goring or Shaw have to work with? Heck, those guys even managed to operate under even worse ownership and management. Poor Butch, he got to see the worst of both worlds.

Speaking of which, if Don Maloney wants to make a brilliant ****ing comeback or his brother is interested in the job, I'll pass on that garbage too. Let's skip out on the lifelong Rangers coming to save our franchise (even in examples.) It's not like we'd be importing "winners" by picking out players from most of the Rangers past. I'd also pass on Milbury redux.

Why am I bothering to go into this? I'm not a huge fan of Capuano. He's okay as far as I'm concerned. He isn't good or great. I find it's hard to have a real opinion on Garth. Why? Because our payroll has been scraping the bottom of the barrel. Because the GM has to say whatever he can to hide the fact (if it's indeed a fact) that our low ass budget is being handed down to him from above. Because if we're really trying to build solely through the draft, Garth does appear to be doing a decent job.

When this team has at least iced a squad that runs in the middle of the pack in terms of payroll again, then I'll worry about nitpicking about ****. At that point, then we could truly judge the GM and coach.

Who cares if we want Capuano back or not? I care about what we're replacing him with. I can critique about how we seem to come off large layoffs with a stinker. I could talk about our unwillingness to change lines for 30+ games while our 5-on-5 offense was the worst in the league. But so what? I can mix and match our lines better, but it's still working with a very poor mix. However, we're pretty limited it would seem in our ability to make that mix much better.

I'd argue that replacing Snow at this time is a worthless and wasteful proposition. Is someone going to truly do a much better job at our current level of payroll? Any name that would truly bring some clout solely on their name so they can have a hope in hell at bringing in players at "close to fair" prices during free agency isn't going to come here under the current ownership clown show.

None of this means that we can't discuss the shortcomings of all of these people in our franchise. However, it's really just spinning our wheels isn't it?

Or I'm wrong, and we should just talk about replacing the coach every 2-3 years. I'm wrong and another GM would have a great impact on bringing in players because we have such a strong history of winning in the last 20 years.

Players want to win hockey games. You might be able to bring in a coach who players would want to play for. You might be able to bring in ONE player who can help bring in other players. GMs aren't stepping into this situation and turning the tide for us. That's more of a leap of faith than a player saying, "You can play with me," or a coach saying, "You can play for me like you did when we were in X, Y or Z team together."

Our only hope is that players will see JT and see hope. That players will see Hamonic and see hope. That players will see we are a better team than last year. Still, it's a leap of faith. When you have 29 other teams to choose from, why bother with that leap of faith when you get to choose a better situation for yourself?

I really have no idea why I bothered to say this much about it. All I'm saying is that we're wasting our ****ing time talking about the coach and GM when our payroll is in the dumps and it's been 4 years since we've actually added a meaningful player.

If Garth merely patches the team back together and continues to keep the payroll down at the bottom, do you blame him or ownership? Ownership has to be the one that says, "Get your guy Garth, no matter the cost. We need to make a difference and the time is right. We need to start winning now."

You know when I'll **** on Garth? If he pays PAP $5 million. If he fires Capuano only to bring up our AHL coach. If he brings in a core player or finally signs a UFA, and it's the wrong ****ing guy for the team. I can **** on Capuano, but really, why bother? At most he can juggle what he has. What he has isn't enough. Even though I disagree with how things are being handled, how much better can I really ask for?

,
Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 12:01 AM
  #105
JKP
Registered User
 
JKP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,712
vCash: 500
I disagree, mitchy. Even if the team doesn't have talent I want to watch it try it's hardest and leave everything out there. I want a coach that is doing everything possible to prepare his team to compete.

I don't feel we have that now. If they get beat because they left everything out on the ice and the other team was just better, ok. But too often this team gets beat because it's asleep or too busy admiring the other team's ankles or god knows what they're thinking. All that's on the coach.

Nice guy, has to go or our talent won't develop.


JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 12:29 AM
  #106
mitchy22
Registered User
 
mitchy22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
I disagree, mitchy. Even if the team doesn't have talent I want to watch it try it's hardest and leave everything out there. I want a coach that is doing everything possible to prepare his team to compete.

I don't feel we have that now. If they get beat because they left everything out on the ice and the other team was just better, ok. But too often this team gets beat because it's asleep or too busy admiring the other team's ankles or god knows what they're thinking. All that's on the coach.

Nice guy, has to go or our talent won't develop.

It's not like I said "keep Capuano", so I'm not sure what part of my rambling you're disagreeing with in its entirety.

I said he was "okay" and complained about some specific things with him. However, this team does compete on most nights. There is almost no veteran presence on the team. The team is made up of a very poor mix of players at forward and defense.

Capuano isn't the guy I would put in charge to take us to the promised land. He's serviceable. He's okay. He's gone after this coming year, or he could be gone mid-season. Firing him after this current season somehow implies that you expected him to do more with the current lineup.

As I've said, I care about who we replace him with, but it's not the biggest problem.

Would bringing in a coach with a pedigree and experience be bad? Of course not. Would it make a huge difference with our current roster? Am I the only one looking at our current roster? I can't be. Look at the ****ing thing and tell me we really should be expecting more out of it. Go on and make a case.

Frans Nielsen is our veteran forward in the top-9 and he's a veteran of a little over 300 games. Our entire core of players at forward all have less experience than that. On offense, our best player is 21. Our fans **** on Josh Bailey (22) and Kyle Okposo (24) like they've grown up with anything or anyone to lean on.

Right now, 22 year old Josh Bailey has played in more NHL games than 9 of our forwards (Moulson, KO, Tavares, Grabner, Parenteau, Martin, Ullstrom, Cizikas, Niederreiter.)


On defense, our best player is 21. He's at least supported by a more veteran bunch playing significant minutes. However, he's probably our most physical and reliable defender at age ****ing 21.

I'm sorry, but the makeup and age of the team also has an effect on the outcome that occurs on the ice. This team has laid some serious eggs. This team has also played hard in a majority of its games as far as I'm concerned. Even more than that, we've had a few games that we played hard enough to beat teams that we had no right beating.

So how much is the coach and how much is the age and experience of the team? Or the fact that a huge percentage of our roster is very young and inexperienced?

I'll argue that improving the roster matters more than bringing in any coach. Now, I agree that bringing in a much better coach would help, but it's not the most pressing problem.

The most pressing problems? Our lack of experience and the amount of young players in major roles. Our terrible mix down the middle, at forward in general, and on defense.

I'll place the coach right after that. I'll place the payroll being so low and the clown ****ing show that has tarnished the image of this franchise right at the very top.

John Tavares is the best thing we have going for the face of this franchise. Right now, we don't ****ing deserve him. The next time this team makes a personnel move that says, "HOLY ****!!! THE ISLANDERS ARE MOVING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION" that doesn't have to do with who we select at a podium, then I'll worry about whether or not we have the right coach who is under contract for one more season.

It's bad enough that we have to pay ****ing players that aren't playing on this team. Do we want to keep paying coaches that aren't on this team, too? If the budget is that tight, then we need to make sure we spend as much of it as possible on the players on the actual ice each night.

You guys really believe the coach is the reason why our talent won't develop and not the fact that there's nothing to lean on for these players on the actual ice surface? If they don't develop, it's because we put them in the worst possible situation to develop in. If they do develop, it's because we drafted players who were able to take abuse well and make the most out of a difficult situation. The coach can only do so much all by himself. Again, I'm not a huge Capuano fan, but let's be realistic about what is going on here.

,
Mitch


Last edited by mitchy22: 03-09-2012 at 12:38 AM. Reason: ...added more because I'm trying to fill my quota for this thread
mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 04:31 AM
  #107
2LeftSkates
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
It's not like I said "keep Capuano", so I'm not sure what part of my rambling you're disagreeing with in its entirety.

I said he was "okay" and complained about some specific things with him. However, this team does compete on most nights. There is almost no veteran presence on the team. The team is made up of a very poor mix of players at forward and defense.

Capuano isn't the guy I would put in charge to take us to the promised land. He's serviceable. He's okay. He's gone after this coming year, or he could be gone mid-season. Firing him after this current season somehow implies that you expected him to do more with the current lineup.

As I've said, I care about who we replace him with, but it's not the biggest problem.

Would bringing in a coach with a pedigree and experience be bad? Of course not. Would it make a huge difference with our current roster? Am I the only one looking at our current roster? I can't be. Look at the ****ing thing and tell me we really should be expecting more out of it. Go on and make a case.

Frans Nielsen is our veteran forward in the top-9 and he's a veteran of a little over 300 games. Our entire core of players at forward all have less experience than that. On offense, our best player is 21. Our fans **** on Josh Bailey (22) and Kyle Okposo (24) like they've grown up with anything or anyone to lean on.

Right now, 22 year old Josh Bailey has played in more NHL games than 9 of our forwards (Moulson, KO, Tavares, Grabner, Parenteau, Martin, Ullstrom, Cizikas, Niederreiter.)


On defense, our best player is 21. He's at least supported by a more veteran bunch playing significant minutes. However, he's probably our most physical and reliable defender at age ****ing 21.

I'm sorry, but the makeup and age of the team also has an effect on the outcome that occurs on the ice. This team has laid some serious eggs. This team has also played hard in a majority of its games as far as I'm concerned. Even more than that, we've had a few games that we played hard enough to beat teams that we had no right beating.

So how much is the coach and how much is the age and experience of the team? Or the fact that a huge percentage of our roster is very young and inexperienced?

I'll argue that improving the roster matters more than bringing in any coach. Now, I agree that bringing in a much better coach would help, but it's not the most pressing problem.

The most pressing problems? Our lack of experience and the amount of young players in major roles. Our terrible mix down the middle, at forward in general, and on defense.

I'll place the coach right after that. I'll place the payroll being so low and the clown ****ing show that has tarnished the image of this franchise right at the very top.

John Tavares is the best thing we have going for the face of this franchise. Right now, we don't ****ing deserve him. The next time this team makes a personnel move that says, "HOLY ****!!! THE ISLANDERS ARE MOVING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION" that doesn't have to do with who we select at a podium, then I'll worry about whether or not we have the right coach who is under contract for one more season.

It's bad enough that we have to pay ****ing players that aren't playing on this team. Do we want to keep paying coaches that aren't on this team, too? If the budget is that tight, then we need to make sure we spend as much of it as possible on the players on the actual ice each night.

You guys really believe the coach is the reason why our talent won't develop and not the fact that there's nothing to lean on for these players on the actual ice surface? If they don't develop, it's because we put them in the worst possible situation to develop in. If they do develop, it's because we drafted players who were able to take abuse well and make the most out of a difficult situation. The coach can only do so much all by himself. Again, I'm not a huge Capuano fan, but let's be realistic about what is going on here.

,
Mitch
Well said, Mitch.
Hold the players responsible, hold the coach responsible-all bull crap under this regime.
Constantly set up to fail. Thanks, Mr. Wang!

2LeftSkates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 05:32 AM
  #108
Bauer Warrior*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
That's fine. My point wasn't in opposition to the idea of a better owner, or GM, or coach. My advice would be to use a dirty-ex-Ranger-free example next time. My point was that I wouldn't swap Garth with JD. I'm fairly sure I stated that clearly as to why. It's not like I quoted your post and decided to pick it apart.

If I wanted to go further into detail, I'd point out that Peter Laviolette was an excellent coach and still is. Nolan was a good coach, but not the right coach for a rebuilding team. Brad Shaw was fine in his cup of coffee showing. I can't remember, but I think something tragic happened with him. That team he coached to a .500 record when he took over was a ****ing train wreck. Goring had that same team working hard, but it was still a train wreck.

What did any of these guys have to work with for any stretch of time?

Laviolette and Nolan had some semblance of a hockey club. What the **** did Goring or Shaw have to work with? Heck, those guys even managed to operate under even worse ownership and management. Poor Butch, he got to see the worst of both worlds.

Speaking of which, if Don Maloney wants to make a brilliant ****ing comeback or his brother is interested in the job, I'll pass on that garbage too. Let's skip out on the lifelong Rangers coming to save our franchise (even in examples.) It's not like we'd be importing "winners" by picking out players from most of the Rangers past. I'd also pass on Milbury redux.

Why am I bothering to go into this? I'm not a huge fan of Capuano. He's okay as far as I'm concerned. He isn't good or great. I find it's hard to have a real opinion on Garth. Why? Because our payroll has been scraping the bottom of the barrel. Because the GM has to say whatever he can to hide the fact (if it's indeed a fact) that our low ass budget is being handed down to him from above. Because if we're really trying to build solely through the draft, Garth does appear to be doing a decent job.

When this team has at least iced a squad that runs in the middle of the pack in terms of payroll again, then I'll worry about nitpicking about ****. At that point, then we could truly judge the GM and coach.

Who cares if we want Capuano back or not? I care about what we're replacing him with. I can critique about how we seem to come off large layoffs with a stinker. I could talk about our unwillingness to change lines for 30+ games while our 5-on-5 offense was the worst in the league. But so what? I can mix and match our lines better, but it's still working with a very poor mix. However, we're pretty limited it would seem in our ability to make that mix much better.

I'd argue that replacing Snow at this time is a worthless and wasteful proposition. Is someone going to truly do a much better job at our current level of payroll? Any name that would truly bring some clout solely on their name so they can have a hope in hell at bringing in players at "close to fair" prices during free agency isn't going to come here under the current ownership clown show.

None of this means that we can't discuss the shortcomings of all of these people in our franchise. However, it's really just spinning our wheels isn't it?

Or I'm wrong, and we should just talk about replacing the coach every 2-3 years. I'm wrong and another GM would have a great impact on bringing in players because we have such a strong history of winning in the last 20 years.

Players want to win hockey games. You might be able to bring in a coach who players would want to play for. You might be able to bring in ONE player who can help bring in other players. GMs aren't stepping into this situation and turning the tide for us. That's more of a leap of faith than a player saying, "You can play with me," or a coach saying, "You can play for me like you did when we were in X, Y or Z team together."

Our only hope is that players will see JT and see hope. That players will see Hamonic and see hope. That players will see we are a better team than last year. Still, it's a leap of faith. When you have 29 other teams to choose from, why bother with that leap of faith when you get to choose a better situation for yourself?

I really have no idea why I bothered to say this much about it. All I'm saying is that we're wasting our ****ing time talking about the coach and GM when our payroll is in the dumps and it's been 4 years since we've actually added a meaningful player.

If Garth merely patches the team back together and continues to keep the payroll down at the bottom, do you blame him or ownership? Ownership has to be the one that says, "Get your guy Garth, no matter the cost. We need to make a difference and the time is right. We need to start winning now."

You know when I'll **** on Garth? If he pays PAP $5 million. If he fires Capuano only to bring up our AHL coach. If he brings in a core player or finally signs a UFA, and it's the wrong ****ing guy for the team. I can **** on Capuano, but really, why bother? At most he can juggle what he has. What he has isn't enough. Even though I disagree with how things are being handled, how much better can I really ask for?

,
Mitch
What's the punishment if I do?

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 05:35 AM
  #109
Bauer Warrior*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
It's not like I said "keep Capuano", so I'm not sure what part of my rambling you're disagreeing with in its entirety.

I said he was "okay" and complained about some specific things with him. However, this team does compete on most nights. There is almost no veteran presence on the team. The team is made up of a very poor mix of players at forward and defense.

Capuano isn't the guy I would put in charge to take us to the promised land. He's serviceable. He's okay. He's gone after this coming year, or he could be gone mid-season. Firing him after this current season somehow implies that you expected him to do more with the current lineup.

As I've said, I care about who we replace him with, but it's not the biggest problem.

Would bringing in a coach with a pedigree and experience be bad? Of course not. Would it make a huge difference with our current roster? Am I the only one looking at our current roster? I can't be. Look at the ****ing thing and tell me we really should be expecting more out of it. Go on and make a case.

Frans Nielsen is our veteran forward in the top-9 and he's a veteran of a little over 300 games. Our entire core of players at forward all have less experience than that. On offense, our best player is 21. Our fans **** on Josh Bailey (22) and Kyle Okposo (24) like they've grown up with anything or anyone to lean on.

Right now, 22 year old Josh Bailey has played in more NHL games than 9 of our forwards (Moulson, KO, Tavares, Grabner, Parenteau, Martin, Ullstrom, Cizikas, Niederreiter.)


On defense, our best player is 21. He's at least supported by a more veteran bunch playing significant minutes. However, he's probably our most physical and reliable defender at age ****ing 21.

I'm sorry, but the makeup and age of the team also has an effect on the outcome that occurs on the ice. This team has laid some serious eggs. This team has also played hard in a majority of its games as far as I'm concerned. Even more than that, we've had a few games that we played hard enough to beat teams that we had no right beating.

So how much is the coach and how much is the age and experience of the team? Or the fact that a huge percentage of our roster is very young and inexperienced?

I'll argue that improving the roster matters more than bringing in any coach. Now, I agree that bringing in a much better coach would help, but it's not the most pressing problem.

The most pressing problems? Our lack of experience and the amount of young players in major roles. Our terrible mix down the middle, at forward in general, and on defense.

I'll place the coach right after that. I'll place the payroll being so low and the clown ****ing show that has tarnished the image of this franchise right at the very top.

John Tavares is the best thing we have going for the face of this franchise. Right now, we don't ****ing deserve him. The next time this team makes a personnel move that says, "HOLY ****!!! THE ISLANDERS ARE MOVING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION" that doesn't have to do with who we select at a podium, then I'll worry about whether or not we have the right coach who is under contract for one more season.

It's bad enough that we have to pay ****ing players that aren't playing on this team. Do we want to keep paying coaches that aren't on this team, too? If the budget is that tight, then we need to make sure we spend as much of it as possible on the players on the actual ice each night.

You guys really believe the coach is the reason why our talent won't develop and not the fact that there's nothing to lean on for these players on the actual ice surface? If they don't develop, it's because we put them in the worst possible situation to develop in. If they do develop, it's because we drafted players who were able to take abuse well and make the most out of a difficult situation. The coach can only do so much all by himself. Again, I'm not a huge Capuano fan, but let's be realistic about what is going on here.

,
Mitch
And also, how can I talk about Hitchcock and why he would work for the Blues instead of the Islanders without talking about John Davidson, one of the best and most informed and respected hockey personalities of a generation?

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:57 AM
  #110
the sweetener
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 483
vCash: 500
I'd like to see the next coach be brett thompson. i think cappy spent too long in the AHL developing kids and letting them learn from their mistakes to hold players accountable. it's just not his style, he nurtures them. been a soundtigers season ticket holder for 6 years and what im really liking about thompson is that he has been constantly reminding the team they havent won anything yet. hes keeping his foot on the gas pedal. that was never cappy's style.

the sweetener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:35 AM
  #111
JPIsles21
Registered User
 
JPIsles21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sweetener View Post
I'd like to see the next coach be brett thompson. i think cappy spent too long in the AHL developing kids and letting them learn from their mistakes to hold players accountable. it's just not his style, he nurtures them. been a soundtigers season ticket holder for 6 years and what im really liking about thompson is that he has been constantly reminding the team they havent won anything yet. hes keeping his foot on the gas pedal. that was never cappy's style.
With that in mind, I'd like to keep Thompson in the AHL at least another year. He too hasn't won anything yet. While, I don't think Brian Burke is as good a GM as some people give him credit for, but I do agree with his philosophy about coaching. At the Randy Carlyle press conference he talked about preferring coaches that were tough, citing that all the successful coaches in the NHL are not warm and fuzzy. He even went as far as saying that hockey shouldn't be fun, and that winning is fun.

That's the kind of culture our team needs. A tough coach who allocates time based on production, skill, and observation. Capuano doesn't do any of these things. Benching Grabner last night is a perfect example while Pandolfo, Reasoner, and Nino play.

For the Isles to contend next year at least 3 things need to happen:

1) Sign a true top 4 dman
2) Sign a true top 6 forward
3) Replace Capuano with an experienced coach that has a track record of developing prospects (I know many people want someone like Hitchcock, but he doesn't have the best track record with prospects/young players)

JPIsles21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 12:00 PM
  #112
Islanderfan17
Registered User
 
Islanderfan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
I disagree, mitchy. Even if the team doesn't have talent I want to watch it try it's hardest and leave everything out there. I want a coach that is doing everything possible to prepare his team to compete.

I don't feel we have that now. If they get beat because they left everything out on the ice and the other team was just better, ok. But too often this team gets beat because it's asleep or too busy admiring the other team's ankles or god knows what they're thinking. All that's on the coach.

Nice guy, has to go or our talent won't develop.

I agree

Look at coaches like Hitch, Torts, Laviolette, Tippett. These are all coaches that make the most out of what they have by getting their players to play hard every night and holding them accountable if they don't.

Ted Nolan got a less talented team into the playoffs years ago, I think we need a good coach.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 12:04 PM
  #113
Riddick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,332
vCash: 500
I'm absolutely lost how he is still the coach especially with their play in 'must win' games. Its excuse after excuse after excuse with this team. And that gets laid 100% at the feet of the coach.

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 12:47 PM
  #114
blitzkriegs
Registered User
 
blitzkriegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Beach & Mtn & Island
Posts: 8,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
I'm absolutely lost how he is still the coach especially with their play in 'must win' games. Its excuse after excuse after excuse with this team. And that gets laid 100% at the feet of the coach.
Under Wang-o-nomics, he's the lowest coast option.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:43 PM
  #115
Isles4ever82
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
I agree

Look at coaches like Hitch, Torts, Laviolette, Tippett. These are all coaches that make the most out of what they have by getting their players to play hard every night and holding them accountable if they don't.

Ted Nolan got a less talented team into the playoffs years ago, I think we need a good coach.
WOW, when will it ever end? Stop Blaming Capuano! Although he might end up not being the right man for this team, I dont think any NHL coach can do much with this pile of s*** team snow has assembled.
This team has 1 NHL line, no secondery scoring, no defence, no size, no toughness ect.
Where does it end with some of you guys? Always trying to make someone out to be the scapegoat and fail accept the fact that out side of a select few players on this team it's in reality an NHL/AHL team.

This team has no talent! Please, just stop with Ted Nolan having worse players compared to this roster. Thats flat out WRONG!
Ted Nolan had much more talent.
Ted Nolans team.

Jason Blake
Alexi Yashin
Miroslav Satan
Viktor Kozlov
Mike Sillinger
Trent Hunter(when he was good)
Tom Poti
Benndan Witt
Radek Martinek
Arron Asham
Chris Campoli
Marc Andre Bergeron
Ryan Smyth

"Look at coaches like Hitch, Torts, Laviolette, Tippett. These are all coaches that make the most out of what they have by getting their players to play hard every night and holding them accountable if they don't"

The also have NHL talent that our team does not.

I have been saying for the last couple of years the way this team is currently constructed it wont matter who the coach is, we are going no where with this group outside of a select few.

Isles4ever82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 03:06 PM
  #116
mitchy22
Registered User
 
mitchy22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
What's the punishment if I do?
Large blocks of text from me. I'm pretty sure I made that clear, as well.

,
Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 03:34 PM
  #117
mitchy22
Registered User
 
mitchy22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
And also, how can I talk about Hitchcock and why he would work for the Blues instead of the Islanders without talking about John Davidson, one of the best and most informed and respected hockey personalities of a generation?
What makes you so sure that Snow can't work with an experienced coach? Or that an experienced coach can't work with Snow?

My first comment about JD was actually an inquiry about whether or not anyone else had heard that story. I also don't want "Rangers royalty" anywhere near the Islanders. That idea was exclusive of the other points you were making. You're welcome to praise J.D. I'm welcome to criticize him. I criticized your praise. You're criticizing my scorn. The end.

My second post simply points out how it is pure conjecture in saying that Snow can't somehow work with an experienced coach. We've had poor coaches in the past. This is true. There were a few I wasn't happy at all with. However, our lineup has been mostly atrocious since the 1993 team was dismantled. We had one short run of semi-respectability shortly after Wang became owner. Unfortunately, that also came along with two albatross contracts and a GM who tried to overthink his way into building a winner.

What stops an experienced coach from coming here more? Working with a former player as GM, or working with an on-ice payroll that is really below the salary cap? Any coach who is paying attention knows that he isn't going to get much help with the roster. They must know they have to be in it for the very long haul. If a coach has a choice, why choose us?

When our budget for players is anywhere close to the average, then we could try to figure out what aspect of our ****ed up organization is holding us back the most.

Again, I'm not saying I'd cry over Capuano leaving. I've mentioned what things that are wrong with him. However, pointing to the coach and ignoring the lack of worthy veterans on the team is a bit disingenuous. I also think it's poor policy to have a revolving door of coaches. That policy also doesn't help you get a good coach in here.

It's not the GM that matters. It's not the coach that matters. Right now, more than anything, it's the personnel, payroll and the image of the franchise that matters. That has a hell of a lot more to do with our owner and the amount of money we spend on this team than it does with our coach and GM. There isn't a single GM in this league who is going to do a much better job with the budget we're under. There isn't a single coach in this league who is going to transform the current squad into a winner until the current players mature more and we get more size and talent added to the lineup.

We were a #8 playoff team if every possible thing went right this year. We're 7 points out. We're exactly where we should be. Banging a coach or GM on that is bordering on willful ignorance as to what is required to make a hockey club win.

Tell me there's a person here who looks at our lineup and says that we're a guaranteed playoff team. Does anyone really think our record is a sign of huge under-performance? It's the sign of a young, small, poorly skating, inexperienced hockey team. A team that will have ups and downs based on inexperience and the inability to compete against more physically talented teams.

No coach is going to change that. No GM is going to change that nearly enough. Spending more money and waiting for our young players to mature while knowing that their ability to mature is hampered by their environment will change that. We're in the slow-slow rebuild. It's going to be 2-3 more years before we're really "there".

If we finally reach into our pockets this coming off-season, then that could change. Who is holding their breath? We're complaining about firing the GM and coach. Why? Because it seems more likely than "firing" the owner. We're all just spinning our wheels.

Even while I mention how to tweak our lineup, I still know that I'm working with a short deck.

...this large post is your punishment. I hope you've learned your lesson.

,
Mitch


Last edited by mitchy22: 03-09-2012 at 03:39 PM.
mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 03:54 PM
  #118
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh
 
Mr Wentworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 4,930
vCash: 500
Everyone who is throwing out all these names of established coaches need to remember one thing, the Doug Weight x-factor.

Deep down, we all know that if Cappy gets the boot, DW is tops on the interview list.

Yes, he might have the passion, he might have the fire, he might be a tough disciplinarian, he might turn out to be a great coach, but, how much experience does he have? And the more experience one has, the better a coach they usually are.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 03:56 PM
  #119
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
I'll argue that improving the roster matters more than bringing in any coach. Now, I agree that bringing in a much better coach would help, but it's not the most pressing problem.

The most pressing problems? Our lack of experience and the amount of young players in major roles. Our terrible mix down the middle, at forward in general, and on defense.

I'll place the coach right after that. I'll place the payroll being so low and the clown ****ing show that has tarnished the image of this franchise right at the very top.

John Tavares is the best thing we have going for the face of this franchise. Right now, we don't ****ing deserve him. The next time this team makes a personnel move that says, "HOLY ****!!! THE ISLANDERS ARE MOVING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION" that doesn't have to do with who we select at a podium, then I'll worry about whether or not we have the right coach who is under contract for one more season.
Oh dang. Love it all. No need for further additions or critiques. Or as Jules would say, close this mother ******* thread down, this story got told.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 04:03 PM
  #120
blitzkriegs
Registered User
 
blitzkriegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Beach & Mtn & Island
Posts: 8,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
Everyone who is throwing out all these names of established coaches need to remember one thing, the Doug Weight x-factor.

Deep down, we all know that if Cappy gets the boot, DW is tops on the interview list.

Yes, he might have the passion, he might have the fire, he might be a tough disciplinarian, he might turn out to be a great coach, but, how much experience does he have? And the more experience one has, the better a coach they usually are.
Bypass the interviews, he's the coach. That's obvious. Coach calls in sick and the guy with zero head coaching experience and less than a year of assistant coaching gets the nod behind the bench? That tells you all you need to know.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:55 PM
  #121
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,851
vCash: 500
Just one point: If Snow didn't sign Rolston, Pandolfo, Reasoner and Staios and instead went for a few quality vets, spending probably THE SAME (or a little more combined) we'd attract better players this summer than we would as things are now. The GM matters. He sets the table for what our team can do now and in the future, plain and simple.

I don't know how you can argue this after we had Torrey, Milbury, Maloney, Smith and Snow. That's some spectrum of GM's from awful to dynastic.

A better GM can get better players and a better coach. That means everything.


Now the SOB truth: Wang does not want such a person in his organization. He wants a yes-man, as he always has in all his business affairs.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 07:58 PM
  #122
Islanders1932
Registered User
 
Islanders1932's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 4,361
vCash: 500
Yeah lets blame the coach for the team on the ice. Good idea. Because the Islanders management clearly upgraded this team over the summer

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:46 PM
  #123
islandersfan1677
Registered User
 
islandersfan1677's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: jungleland
Posts: 507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Bypass the interviews, he's the coach. That's obvious. Coach calls in sick and the guy with zero head coaching experience and less than a year of assistant coaching gets the nod behind the bench? That tells you all you need to know.
Yup tells you how clueless our saviors are and how the sheep of this fanbase will welcome weight behind the bench all cause he's a nutcase. If I was caps I wouldn't care either cause least I'd be far away from this circus at seasons end. Maybe he join Scott Gordon on the leafs coaching staff .

islandersfan1677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:04 PM
  #124
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,851
vCash: 500
Cappy for the record is ten times the coach Scott Scrotum was/is.

Just don't blame the system, guys. (I wanna slap him backhanded)

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:01 PM
  #125
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,064
vCash: 500
Is there ever an attacking gameplan with this team? I'm obviously not in the room, but it just seems to me that Capuano is telling the players before each game what they need to do to defend against the other team. Not how to attack them. We see teams put individual players/lines out against Tavares & basically shadow him. Do we ever see the NYI do that against the other teams best players?

I don't care if no one can win with this roster. I say no roster can win with Jack Capuanos systems in place. He's a passive coach & the team plays passive because of it. Complain all you want to about Gordon, but at least the Gordon led Isles didn't give the opposition all the time & space in the world. At least Gordons teams actually forechecked. This team doesn't know the meaning of the word.

Cap has to go

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.