HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers @ Senators

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-08-2012, 10:15 PM
  #76
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing
 
Megustaelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 5,063
vCash: 500
18,854 in attendance tonight - huge crowd, but not a sellout.

Megustaelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:23 PM
  #77
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck
 
NYRFAN218's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
18,854 in attendance tonight - huge crowd, but not a sellout.
Ottawa has trouble selling out some of the mid week games because the arena's located in the middle of nowhere.

__________________
http://hfboards.com/image.php?u=53946&type=sigpic&dateline=1320361610
NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:25 PM
  #78
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!
 
White Plains Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeAmerican View Post
Like the other poster said...this is really starting to resemble what happened in the 90-91 season. I'm guessing most posters here aren't old enough to remember that season but they lost 8 in a row in March (not saying that's gonna happen this season) and after holding 1st for most of the season got passed by Pittsburgh late and then lost in the first round to the Caps. Pitt of course went on to win their first cup. Anybody remember the captain at that time? He wore #11 and his name wasn't Messier. He was one of the worst captains in team history...
I was just barely ten years old that season, one of about 6 times the Rangers made me cry.

Kissio got a Charlie Horse which he never recovered from and they traded Kevin Miller for an enforcer (Kocur) leaving them with no depth and the Caps in those years were built for the playoffs (thanks in much part to the "lovely" Carpenter for Ridley and Kelly Miller trade Espo).

Kissio wasn't a bad captain, pretty decent actually. He was fine for the transition years before the Rangers were a big market team and spent money. Hard worker, just not championship caliber.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:28 PM
  #79
pavelich
Registered User
 
pavelich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeAmerican View Post
Like the other poster said...this is really starting to resemble what happened in the 90-91 season. I'm guessing most posters here aren't old enough to remember that season but they lost 8 in a row in March (not saying that's gonna happen this season) and after holding 1st for most of the season got passed by Pittsburgh late and then lost in the first round to the Caps. Pitt of course went on to win their first cup. Anybody remember the captain at that time? He wore #11 and his name wasn't Messier. He was one of the worst captains in team history...
That must have been the series when John Druce went nuts. Who? Exactly.

pavelich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:40 PM
  #80
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!
 
White Plains Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelich View Post
That must have been the series when John Druce went nuts. Who? Exactly.
Naw, that was the year before, 1989-90. Leetch missed the entire playoffs after he shattered his ankle in Toronto a few weeks prior.

I hope someone on the Rangers gets the magic powers of John Druce this year. Every year someone like that comes up big. Last year it was Sean Bergenheim, the year before Dominic Moore, etc. One of Dubinsky/Boyle/Prust perhaps?

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:45 PM
  #81
ltsthinaz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kingman, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Naw, that was the year before, 1989-90. Leetch missed the entire playoffs after he shattered his ankle in Toronto a few weeks prior.

I hope someone on the Rangers gets the magic powers of John Druce this year. Every year someone like that comes up big. Last year it was Sean Bergenheim, the year before Dominic Moore, etc. One of Dubinsky/Boyle/Prust perhaps?
Maybe John Scott (LOL)?

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:52 PM
  #82
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsthinaz View Post
Maybe John Scott (LOL)?


I will cry tears of joy if a guy with 1 career goal in 145 NHL games ever scores for the Rangers.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:53 PM
  #83
MDL8981
Registered User
 
MDL8981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 391
vCash: 500
Frustrating game because the first 5-6 minutes it looked like we were primed for a good performance. Controlled the play, scored the early goal, got the forecheck going and the puck was in Ottawa's zone alot.

Then Biron lets in the softie to make it 1-1....and thats was pretty much it. Ottawa controlled the rest of the game. Biron was awful.

And our PP is defined by a word that hasnt been created yet. Thats how bad it is. I dont know who to blame for it. It cant be just personnel because I've seen better PP's out there that have less talent then ours does. There has to be an issue with strategy.

MDL8981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:58 PM
  #84
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!
 
White Plains Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDL8981 View Post
Frustrating game because the first 5-6 minutes it looked like we were primed for a good performance. Controlled the play, scored the early goal, got the forecheck going and the puck was in Ottawa's zone alot.

Then Biron lets in the softie to make it 1-1....and thats was pretty much it. Ottawa controlled the rest of the game. Biron was awful.

And our PP is defined by a word that hasnt been created yet. Thats how bad it is. I dont know who to blame for it. It cant be just personnel because I've seen better PP's out there that have less talent then ours does. There has to be an issue with strategy.
Apparently Sullivan runs the PP so this is on him. If the Rangers continue their slide, he's going to take the fall for all of this and lose his job. Book it.

Also, for an organization that has as much money as the Rangers and has had HOFers play here, you think they could spend a little to bring in a PP coach? Brian Leetch? Messier? Heck, fly in Zubov and Bure from Russia as consultants to get some fresh ideas.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:01 PM
  #85
ltsthinaz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kingman, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post


I will cry tears of joy if a guy with 1 career goal in 145 NHL games ever scores for the Rangers.
Having watched him play, I am wondering how he got the 1 goal. Tape, anyone?

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:03 PM
  #86
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsthinaz View Post
Having watched him play, I am wondering how he got the 1 goal. Tape, anyone?
All I know is that he scored it with the Wild. I tried to find a YT, but nothing came up. Pretty pathetic.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:05 PM
  #87
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
All I know is that he scored it with the Wild. I tried to find a YT, but nothing came up. Pretty pathetic.
Cant edit, but here it is:
http://video.wild.nhl.com/videocente...AR502&fr=false

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:09 PM
  #88
ltsthinaz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kingman, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 597
vCash: 500
Thanks.

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:59 PM
  #89
ltrangerfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 930
vCash: 500
The team will win it's share of games through the stretch. The team is built to play a defensive game which keeps the games close.
Turnovers will lose games since the offense has limited capabilities.

Highlights of The season to date:

1)forwards back checking,and not turning the puck over.
2)Defense doesn't get caught much leaving the goalie exposed.
3)The best season Henrik has ever played.

Thoughts...going forward.

A)PP is still a problem.
B)the defense is overrated. The front line and backstop have been making each one look like hall of famers.
c)Nash should have been a Ranger.

ltrangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 12:05 AM
  #90
Loffen
Wen Kroy
 
Loffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Soft euro
Posts: 17,105
vCash: 500
Only watched the 1st period. This blows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRanger View Post
In all seriousness are Rupp, Scott, and Mitchell better than Avery?
Appearantly. Malkin is debatable, but I would take Avery over either Rupp and Scott in a heartbeat. Scott can hardly play and turns the puck over way too easy... It's ridiculous.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 12:06 AM
  #91
DoTheBlue
Off Season Blues
 
DoTheBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 6,764
vCash: 500
Well, that was a nice little spanking wasn't it. Plenty of blame to go around in this one. Onto the next.

DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 05:55 AM
  #92
mattyd99
Registered User
 
mattyd99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Warwick, NY
Posts: 560
vCash: 500
After being a chicken little, the sky is falling, fan last night I've picked the debris off of me and come to my senses a little more. Now I'm still not a fan of Torts or this system but things are what they are. We have to try and make a 3rd line with some skill on it. Trade deadline is over so there's only one way to do this. Go from within.

Call up Zucc. Enough of this grind and jam, time to infuse a guy who can actually set up goals. Have Dubinsky on the third line with him. That should be enough talent for a flukie like Boyle or Mitchell.

Put Richards with Gaborik already. Every game they get one shift together and it's the most creative shift of the game.

Or we can just keep hammering the nail into the wall until the wall falls over. Something tells me Torts is gonna do the latter.

mattyd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:05 AM
  #93
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd99 View Post
Call up Zucc. Enough of this grind and jam, time to infuse a guy who can actually set up goals. Have Dubinsky on the third line with him. That should be enough talent for a flukie like Boyle or Mitchell.
Nothing like that round peg in a square hole. So Zuccarell is supposed to create offense all by himself with Boyle or Mitchell as his center? And now Mitchell gets a promotion to the 3rdline?

Zuccarella is not coming. His defensive play is poorus. He does not block shots. As such, he is not getting in a game.

Is it time to bring back "This is a bad team" thread? Yes, they have not looked too good lately. But the bar is rather high when you are a team that has lost two games in a row in regulation for the first time in 3 months, no?

Not to mention "enough grind and jam". Not all that long ago it was "there is NOT enough grind and jam".


Last edited by True Blue: 03-09-2012 at 08:12 AM.
True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:11 AM
  #94
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,889
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
Torts is ****ing imbecille.
You know, we have an average unspectacular roster in first place in the Eastern Conference due a a coach implemented system,and yet some people in our fanbase find a way to attack the coach after a loss. Well done.

I'm sure St. Louis Blues fans are all over Hitchcock after a loss.

__________________
"I have something better than proof: I have anecdotal evidence."
Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:12 AM
  #95
Onion Boy
Registered User
 
Onion Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: Japan
Posts: 2,676
vCash: 500
One bright spot: Feds had a really strong game. That's what I'm counting on from him in the playoffs.

Rest of the team...er...not so much.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:16 AM
  #96
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
Torts is ****ing imbecille.
Must be like an idiot savant, right? How dare that imbecile have the best record in the East? Bring back Colin Campbell. Bring back Ron Low. Let Sather come down behind the bench. Heck, bring back Renney. ALL of them are better choices to lead this team.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:19 AM
  #97
shelaur22
Registered User
 
shelaur22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
I've read a lot of comments in this thread (and practically every game thread) about a lack of confidence in Torts's system. I wonder how many of the guys actually feel the same way? They probably can't say anything. I mean, at what point do you think Gabby is like, I just want Richie on my line already.

shelaur22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:42 AM
  #98
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelaur22 View Post
I wonder how many of the guys actually feel the same way? They probably can't say anything. I mean, at what point do you think Gabby is like, I just want Richie on my line already.
At the point that the are not a first overall team in the East. At the point that they ahve not all singularly bought into his system. and it well documented that they are ALL in step and line with the way Torts wants the game played. So the answer to your question, they are not questioning him.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:56 AM
  #99
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
You know, we have an average unspectacular roster in first place in the Eastern Conference due a a coach implemented system,and yet some people in our fanbase find a way to attack the coach after a loss. Well done.

I'm sure St. Louis Blues fans are all over Hitchcock after a loss.
The idea is to contend for a cup; not pile up regular season points. Many of believe that we are not well situated to contend with this "defense only" approach. Torts has ostracized anyone who had skill but was not 100% on board with his defensive posture. It's a fundamental problem with his stubborn, inflexible way of doing things; a two game losing streak only serves to get the blood boiling and motivate people to say what they are thinking even when we are winning.

We are allowed to look ahead and project what this team and approach will bring? No?

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:09 AM
  #100
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Torts has ostracized anyone who had skill but was not 100% on board with his defensive posture. It's a fundamental problem with his stubborn, inflexible way of doing things;
Do you think that the Blues are also feelign this way? Hitch is not an offensive coach. Yet, no problem with "defense first" over there.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.