HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[VAN/CBJ] Canucks acquire F Samuel Pahlsson for Taylor Ellington, two 4ths in 2012

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2012, 02:28 AM
KISSland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmbraceTheHaiti View Post
We could have had Ott; for Hodgson.
Is this seriously what was being reported? Any one got a link?

Old
03-09-2012, 02:30 AM
Elliot20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Doesn't sound like a Gillis move. He wants to get younger if a player like Hodgson is being moved.

Meanwhile, a guy like Raymond (who is expendable) is a different case.

Old
03-09-2012, 02:34 AM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmbraceTheHaiti View Post
We could have had Ott; for Hodgson.
Thank god we didn't. Move youth for youth.

If Schneider is going to be moved, its probably for youth as well.

Old
03-09-2012, 02:38 AM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot20 View Post
Doesn't sound like a Gillis move. He wants to get younger if a player like Hodgson is being moved.

Meanwhile, a guy like Raymond (who is expendable) is a different case.
I definitely would've done Raymond, and a pick. Throw in a 2nd tier prospect too.

Old
03-09-2012, 02:40 AM
dhabums*

Quote:
Jut rumoured, much like the Raymond for Ott. (which I never understood)

Ott wasn't coming cheap and that is why he isn't a Canuck.

Old
03-09-2012, 02:41 AM
PG Canuck

vCash: 2178
Quote:
Elliotte Friedman said Dallas wanted Hodgson for Ott, I believe.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:05 AM
vancityluongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximLapierre View Post
Elliotte Friedman said Dallas wanted Hodgson for Ott, I believe.
Yeah. Canucks are believed to have offered Raymond, Dallas wanted Hodgson.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-thoughts.html

Quote:
5. Couple of teams did ask about Hodgson at the deadline. It's been reported that Dallas wanted him in exchange for Steve Ott. Toronto tried, too.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:07 AM
PG Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post

Makes me wonder how hard MG laughed.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:16 AM
KISSland

Quote:

Wonder what package Toronto was willing to give up for him? Knowing Burke he probably low balled us.

Can't believe those were the only teams interested in Hodgson.. Would've guessed at least a couple other teams were looking at center position.

I think Raymond will be gone in the off season. Being offered for Ott, I wouldn't be surprised Gillis packages him with Schneider this off season. That should get us something nice.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:24 AM
vancityluongo

I don't know if Ott would've been that far off, if say they could get something else with him, and if Dallas was in the East. I'm sure Goligoski would be an absolute non-starter from the Stars position, but I could see Gillis wanting something like Ott + Goligoski in exchange for Hodgson, Raymond and a pick...or something.

Burke probably offered MacArthur, and then turned around and told the media he could've gotten a [former] first rounder for him.

I really hope Friedman is right and we're after John Carlson or Brandon Sutter. Ward is solid in Carolina, but if they miss the playoffs, Vokoun bolts, and Neuvirth/Holtby aren't looking too great in the offseason, maybe they'll be in the market for Schneider?

Oh, and to stick with the thread, Pahlsson looked fantastic tonight. Where the hell were these amazing third line deadline acquisitions during the Nonis era?

Old
03-09-2012, 03:37 AM
PG Canuck

Quote:
I don't know if Ott would've been that far off, if say they could get something else with him, and if Dallas was in the East. I'm sure Goligoski would be an absolute non-starter from the Stars position, but I could see Gillis wanting something like Ott + Goligoski in exchange for Hodgson, Raymond and a pick...or something.

Burke probably offered MacArthur, and then turned around and told the media he could've gotten a [former] first rounder for him.

I really hope Friedman is right and we're after John Carlson or Brandon Sutter. Ward is solid in Carolina, but if they miss the playoffs, Vokoun bolts, and Neuvirth/Holtby aren't looking too great in the offseason, maybe they'll be in the market for Schneider?

Oh, and to stick with the thread, Pahlsson looked fantastic tonight. Where the hell were these amazing third line deadline acquisitions during the Nonis era?
There's why.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:37 AM
KISSland

Quote:

Where did it say we were going after Carlson or Sutter? I'm just wondering. I wouldn't mind either of them, but I doubt either GM's would be interested in Schneider.. Their goalie position is the least of their concerns.. Especially with Ward. Unless we somehow do a 3 way trade? With another team.. I'd say the teams currently looking for help in goal would be Columbus, Tampa, Edmonton, Flyers, Leafs, and Devils.

And are you kidding me? Don't you remember the integral part of our run when Nonis traded a couple of picks for the the legend himself Smolinski!? Not only was he a 3rd liner, but a 3rd liner that was so good he played on our 2nd and some PP time at that. Talk about versatility.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:38 AM
PG Canuck

Quote:
Wonder what package Toronto was willing to give up for him? Knowing Burke he probably low balled us.

Can't believe those were the only teams interested in Hodgson.. Would've guessed at least a couple other teams were looking at center position.

I think Raymond will be gone in the off season. Being offered for Ott, I wouldn't be surprised Gillis packages him with Schneider this off season. That should get us something nice.
Schneider alone could get us something real nice. John Carlson please and thank you!

Old
03-09-2012, 03:48 AM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximLapierre View Post
Schneider alone could get us something real nice. John Carlson please and thank you!
I don't doubt that, but a team might be willing to overpay a little more if it fills two holes in their roster.

Something like what we saw with Hodgson for Kassian, but a nicer return.

Old
03-09-2012, 05:18 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

Samuel is outscoring the child he replaced since the deadline. I have a feeling we'll start seeing the best of him one month from now. He's going to be a playoff warrior.

Old
03-09-2012, 06:53 AM
orcatown

Didn't know there were so many Jet fans in Vancouver. Or at least that many that could get their hands on tickets. Made for a good atmosphere at the game. Tough loss for the Peg but Canucks deserved to win.

The Good

Kesler - Could see him coming around last game. I guess he likes the home cooking. Obvious leader when he plays like this

Higgins - unlucky not to score - creates turnovers almost every shift. Another strong game.

Booth - good job of taking the puck to the net and getting to the net to provide screens. Can stretch defenses with his speed and works every shift.

Tanev - makes every one around him better. Facilitates his defensive partner so well. Saw this in Chicago with Connauton and last year with Ballard. How Tanev is not included in THN top 50 prospects is a mystery. He was excellent tonight. Even on the second goal he had the pass cut off and Schneider did not really have to worry about the back door play. Also his shots were not hard but they did put the goalie in difficulty.

Hansen - back to pepper pot play. Plays like this and he makes his line hard to play against. Thought Raymond also used speed better tonight. Played everywhere in this game

Phalsson -illustrated a Cody type shot tonight on the winner. Was very good as the game went on and looked dangerous on his shifts in the third and ice time was upped accordingly.

Bieksa - back on form. Handled the Jets speed up front very well and played hard nosed in his own end. Played with a lot of control tonight

Hamhuis - probably the best player on the ice.

The Bad

Kassian - looks out of shape. Labouring on most of shifts and getting caught standing still. Not in the flow of the game. You wonder if you haven't got another Booth situation. When Booth got here he laboured as well and seems to wear out fast on his shifts. Booth's tempo has improved and you hope the Canucks can take Kassian to another level of fitness. Kassian might have played the first couple of games on adrenalin but really is not in the type of shape to sustain that level of play. Looking at a young player that needs development. Appears the Canucks have project here and Kassian is a long ways from being a finished product. To be expected.

Thoughts

Schneider had the one suspect goal but otherwise was very good. Has played better than Luongo lately which creates a dilemma for Canuck management moving ahead.

Cragnani was a lot better. Still sort of mechanical in his play and seems to telegraph what he is going to do. But still showed a much better ability to get the puck out of trouble. Seems clear, at least, he is not suited to playing with Rome

Malhotra had a much more useful game. However, 4th line in general was no more than ok. Ice time severely cut back.

Sedins were somewhat better and the PP was improved but they continue to have some very difficult times in their own end. The GST line seemed to have them pinned in at times and you wonder how this was happening.

I wonder if the team should just be trying to roll the 4 lines and allocate time more evenly. Seems to me that is when they play some of their best team hockey. Overuse of certain players, especially the Sedins right now, doesn't make a lot sense given the present position of the team IMO

Old
03-09-2012, 07:15 AM
Sayonara77
Farewell Kes

^^^^ You posted in the wrong thread, however most of your analysis/insight is always good to read.

Old
03-09-2012, 08:03 AM
Steveorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Samuel is outscoring the child he replaced since the deadline. I have a feeling we'll start seeing the best of him one month from now. He's going to be a playoff warrior.
He is also outscoring Taylor Ellington...lol...

Old
03-09-2012, 08:45 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Seems clear, at least, he is not suited to playing with Rome
Not really unexpected. Rome is a more than adequate #7 defenseman; but *NOT* a guy you want on the ice to be with essentially a rookie (though perhaps a pairing of Rome-Tanev would fair better due to the later's better overall game at this point than MAG).

Old
06-17-2012, 04:37 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

http://canucksarmy.com/2012/6/17/sam...-modo-tomorrow

Quote:
It has been rumoured for weeks now that free agent defensive centre Samme Pahlsson, most recently of the Vancouver Canucks, would retire from NHL hockey and sign with Örnsköldsvik club team Modo of the Elitserien (SEL). According to Swedish sports journalist Jonatan Lindquist of Expressen, that deal looks to have been finalized. Says Lindquist:

Modo will hold a press conference tomorrow at 13:30 Swedish Time (4:30 AM PST). It's expected that they will announce the signing of Samuel Pahlsson. Pahlsson has been open to the possibility of returning home, though Modo doensn't normally hold Press Conferences when they sign players.

Nothing has been officially confirmed yet, but the fact that Modo rarely holds Press Conferences to announce player signings (even relatively big name players like Freddy Meyer and Rob Schremp) indicates that this is assuredly a press conference to introduce Samme Pahlsson. Pahlsson hails originally from Örnsköldsvik, began his professional career with Modo and has had a decorated professional career: winning a Stanley Cup in 2007 and an Olympic Gold Medal in 2006 with the Tre Kronor.

Old
06-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Hammer79

This doesn't surprise me. He had a hard time finding the back of the net all season. This acquisition was too little too late to deal with the relaxing of enforcement of obstruction penalties by the NHL after the all star break. IIRC, he was also coming off the ice just as the series winner was being set up.

It will be interesting to see how MG responds to not having a 2C and a 3C ready to go in October (assuming no work stoppage).

Old
06-17-2012, 05:37 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Too bad, I really wanted him to stay longer. Thought he was very competent as a third-line center.

Old
06-17-2012, 05:38 PM
n00bxQb

Damn, I thought Pahlsson did a pretty good job in the #3 spot (except on faceoffs), but if Manny's back to near 100% in October, I guess Pahlsson is expendable.

Barring trade/free agency, I fully believe Schroeder is going to slot in at the #2 slot to start the season, then he'll probably shift to the wing or go back to the AHL once Kesler's back.

Old
06-17-2012, 05:49 PM
vadim sharifijanov

i enjoyed pahlsson here. if we could have re-signed him for less than $1.5 million and paired him with lapierre for our fourth line, i'd have liked to keep him. but obviously with manny still under contract and our glaring need for offensive production from our third line, it makes sense that we're letting him walk.

Old
06-17-2012, 05:50 PM
dmacgreg37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
This doesn't surprise me. He had a hard time finding the back of the net all season. This acquisition was too little too late to deal with the relaxing of enforcement of obstruction penalties by the NHL after the all star break. IIRC, he was also coming off the ice just as the series winner was being set up.

It will be interesting to see how MG responds to not having a 2C and a 3C ready to go in October (assuming no work stoppage).
It could be argued that Lapierre is now the clear 3C.

Closed Thread