HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Biron = Vally = Brutal = Goodbye

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-09-2012, 03:56 AM
  #51
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,901
vCash: 500
Yeah he's been a disaster recently, but he's an awesome backup that has had his confidence shot badly. I mean look at him, he's having trouble with average bouncers. I know I said in the GDT that I hope he doesn't dress again, I'll be the first to admit that was heat of the moment, and Marty is a great teammate and player on an amazing contract.

I thought he played with his normal swagger and poise his last game (forget who it was). When Marty is playing confident you can really tell, that Chicago game took it's toll.

And I still firmly stand by that no matter how well we played in the 2nd and 3rd period, the Chicago game was the worst game of the season and Tortorella is responsible. They've been different since.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 04:01 AM
  #52
Dustin Peener
HF Top 30
 
Dustin Peener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: I'm in THE BAR
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 52,087
vCash: 725
Guys, he's a backup for a reason.

Dustin Peener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 04:03 AM
  #53
Nyrvana
Registered User
 
Nyrvana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bronx, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,094
vCash: 500
Is this a serious conversation? Some of you guys want Biron to STOP playing now? Even though we're up 10 points in the Eastern conference. His last 6 games which you guys can not live with, we are 2 - 2 - 2. For the season he is 11 - 4 - 2. We are in the perfect position now to keep playing him. The whole point of playing him is to rest Henrik for the playoffs. That is the ultimate goal. Don't worry about the back up goaltender when the team is 42 - 17 - 7.

Btw, Henrik has given up 10 goals in his last 3 games and hasn't looked so good.

Nyrvana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 05:17 AM
  #54
TCRF
RICK. GNASH
 
TCRF's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 19,355
vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrvana View Post
Is this a serious conversation? Some of you guys want Biron to STOP playing now? Even though we're up 10 points in the Eastern conference. His last 6 games which you guys can not live with, we are 2 - 2 - 2. For the season he is 11 - 4 - 2. We are in the perfect position now to keep playing him. The whole point of playing him is to rest Henrik for the playoffs. That is the ultimate goal. Don't worry about the back up goaltender when the team is 42 - 17 - 7.

Btw, Henrik has given up 10 goals in his last 3 games and hasn't looked so good.
we practically fell apart. big slump up ahead

TCRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 05:35 AM
  #55
mullichicken25
Registered User
 
mullichicken25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 500
Yeah he's had some bad games but I feel like there's a little bit of over reaction going on here. Everyone seems to be forgetting that in his last start (canes) he played very well.

He's 4-2-2 in 2012 and 11-5-2 on the season...in reality, that's the kind of production you dream of from a backup net minder.

He's been a blessing this season and being able to play him as often and successfully as they have has played a big role in why they are sitting in first right now.

mullichicken25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 05:52 AM
  #56
Sticky Fingers
NYR
 
Sticky Fingers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,636
vCash: 500
In all fairness, last night wasn't about Biron playing bad, it was about a top 6 that couldn't create offense.

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 05:57 AM
  #57
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,047
vCash: 500
I guess when Biron is resigned for two more yrs you guys are gonna snap

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 07:28 AM
  #58
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,272
vCash: 500
I'd be more concerned with our lack of offense and decline in team defense than anything going into the playoffs.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 07:31 AM
  #59
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,972
vCash: 500
Okay, so, Biron has absolutely nothing in common with Valiquette.

Biron is a standup puckhandling goaltender.

Vally was a monster, immobile butterfly who was awful at playing the puck.

Biron was a starter for a long time, then consistent seasoned backup around the league before coming to NYR.

Vally was an AHL goaltender who was lucky enough to get the job with us. He never had a legitimate NHL career elsewhere.

Biron has carried a much heavier backup load than Vally ever did.


Just because we have a backup goaltender who is struggling at the moment doesn't mean he "=" Valiquette. It plays to the emotions of the lowest possible intelligence to suggest something like that, and insults the intelligence of everyone else. I suppose Fedotenko=Prucha=Goodbye.

__________________
"I have something better than proof: I have anecdotal evidence."
Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:49 AM
  #60
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 500
playing Biron=loss

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:04 AM
  #61
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohf View Post
In all fairness, last night wasn't about Biron playing bad, it was about a top 6 that couldn't create offense.
Really? It's about both. You cannot let that first one get by you. It changed the game. And the other two were soft as well. He should have pitched a shutout and it would have been nice to score more goals. But you cannot take him off the hook. The game is about momentum he gave it back to them on that first goal.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:12 AM
  #62
Fataldogg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,294
vCash: 500
He just played a decent game against the Hurricanes. Find me a better back up for $875k, and maybe ill be interested. His cap hit is negligible.

The only problem is how much ice time he is getting. And that is on Tortorella, if he isn't playing well, which he has not been, he should not be utilized to rest Lundqvist. He doesn't need this much rest.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:24 AM
  #63
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,020
vCash: 500
Lundqvist has 49 games played right now. If he were to play every game for the rest of the season, he'd have 65 (a career low outside his first season). I honestly don't think you give Biron more than 1 or 2 games depending on the standings (only 6 points up now).

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:12 AM
  #64
Sean Aviary
Chirp! Chirp!
 
Sean Aviary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Greetings everyone. Welcome to where I was...like a month ago.

I remember Wolfgaze making fun of me for calling Biron terrible.

Here are the stats again, make your own assessments.

Game day, Save Percentage:
Mar 8 '12 NYR @ OTT 0.857
Mar 1 '12 NYR @ CAR 0.913
Feb 24 '12 NYR @ NYI 0.889
Feb 16 '12 CHI @ NYR 0.818
Feb 9 '12 TBL @ NYR 0.824
Jan 31 '12 NYR @ NJD 0.897
Jan 14 '12 NYR @ TOR 1
Jan 5 '12 FLA @ NYR 0.905
Dec 28 '11 NYR @ WSH 0.826
Total Save Percentage: 0.882
Save Percentage w/o the 1 shutout: 0.869
While you're cherry picking backup goalie stats to support your argument, I'd like to congratulate Vezina trophy winner Brian Elliott.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Okay, so, Biron has absolutely nothing in common with Valiquette.

Biron is a standup puckhandling goaltender.

Vally was a monster, immobile butterfly who was awful at playing the puck.

Biron was a starter for a long time, then consistent seasoned backup around the league before coming to NYR.

Vally was an AHL goaltender who was lucky enough to get the job with us. He never had a legitimate NHL career elsewhere.

Biron has carried a much heavier backup load than Vally ever did.


Just because we have a backup goaltender who is struggling at the moment doesn't mean he "=" Valiquette. It plays to the emotions of the lowest possible intelligence to suggest something like that, and insults the intelligence of everyone else. I suppose Fedotenko=Prucha=Goodbye.
You mean there's more to how good a player is than the stats that you pick to show how bad he is when he's coming off a few bad games? If those few games were good, rather than a scapegoat we should start talking about how we're going to win the Stanley Cup!

Biron's putting up better numbers than Glenn Healy did in 1994...

Sean Aviary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:17 AM
  #65
Reijo R
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
Biron has been brutal and I'm sure you'll see Hank start to play at a higher rate over the remaining games. But let's not kid ourselves. The reason we are losing is a lack of offensive talent.

Reijo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:32 AM
  #66
Mio41
Ron Harris #3
 
Mio41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer90 View Post
the first goal he gave up was a real downer. Im sure he knows he should've had that one.
The past few games he hasn't been playing well, but he has played some big games for us this season. Im 50/50 on Biron at this point.
Killed our momentum, 3 goals in 9 shots...terrible...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:52 AM
  #67
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Biron is an alright choice, although CJ call-up is not out of reason entirely. Lundqvist is not what he was either. Those things are expected. True winners will go through it unlike also-runs. We will see what this team is made of even before the POs.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:55 AM
  #68
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
I agree, brutal. He needs to stop playing.
Assuming he does not immediately return to form and lose the rust, agreed --- but I want to give Stacjer/Talbot a chance as soon as possible.

We might have to risk Chad Johnson so we don't burn ELC on Stacjer/Talbot this year, but next year...

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:57 AM
  #69
JimmyStart*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedwrister17 View Post
He's been pretty brutal lately. I think it's about time for Henrik to play through.
All this gets us is a few more regular season points but the wear and tear is not worth it since Hank will be in for what will hopefully be a long plaoyoff. Sorry it's nuts to keep Biron from playing. let him do 2 or 3 more games. Team needs to also score. he didn't give up 5 goals he gave up 3. Sorry team can score. PP can score. Rangers dont have to lose that one. How bout not giving up penalty shots and breakways on the guy all 1st period vs chi...nope sorry but he hasn't been brutal not even close. I don't care if his first goal yesterday was an abomination against mankind in the end only 3 GA the team had enough PP chances to win

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 12:00 PM
  #70
mullichicken25
Registered User
 
mullichicken25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
playing Biron=loss
out of the 18 samples we have this season, there are 13 of them where this statement is false

mullichicken25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 12:15 PM
  #71
ChrisKreider20
But y u mad?
 
ChrisKreider20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,551
vCash: 500
I'd like to sign Jonas Gustavsson at the end of the season.
I don't think he is nearly as bad as he is touted as.
He plays in a gong show in Toronto and IMO would look great as Lundqvist's back up.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 12:49 PM
  #72
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 16,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Yeah he's been a disaster recently, but he's an awesome backup that has had his confidence shot badly. I mean look at him, he's having trouble with average bouncers. I know I said in the GDT that I hope he doesn't dress again, I'll be the first to admit that was heat of the moment, and Marty is a great teammate and player on an amazing contract.

I thought he played with his normal swagger and poise his last game (forget who it was). When Marty is playing confident you can really tell, that Chicago game took it's toll.

And I still firmly stand by that no matter how well we played in the 2nd and 3rd period, the Chicago game was the worst game of the season and Tortorella is responsible. They've been different since.
Well then he isnt an awesome backup goalie is he? If he goes in huge slumps cause of a bad game then he seems like an average backup to a below average backup.

Guy is terrible. Praying we dont resign him.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:01 PM
  #73
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 19,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
Guys, he's a backup for a reason.
Look at Boston, they have a chance to win no matter who is in net.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:03 PM
  #74
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV
 
UnderPSI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Morris Co, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 802
vCash: 500
I think the fact that our offense couldn't even score more then 1 goal against a goalie that has 1 NHL game experience should be more of a concern. Has Biron been playing bad lately? Yes, but would this thread have exist earlier in the season after his first 7-8 games where he played very well? Hell, even in the main forum there were plenty of Rangers fans saying Hank/Biron were one of the best tandoms this season. Now after a few bad games, its like you guys want to execute the guy...off with his head! Sure he is in a funk, but so has our offense. When you are in a funk and only play games every so often, its harder to get out of it. This thread reminds me of the avator that someone here has that says not 82-0? This is a bad team. Get a grip.

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:03 PM
  #75
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 19,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
Yeah he's had some bad games but I feel like there's a little bit of over reaction going on here. Everyone seems to be forgetting that in his last start (canes) he played very well.

He's 4-2-2 in 2012 and 11-5-2 on the season...in reality, that's the kind of production you dream of from a backup net minder.

He's been a blessing this season and being able to play him as often and successfully as they have has played a big role in why they are sitting in first right now.
50% of the goals he gave up in that Canes game were brutal. That PP goal was awful.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.