HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When Markov's back, what happens to Kaberle?

Old
03-09-2012, 09:01 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
You lost me at Mara. You wanna get rid of Kabs and replace him with Mara. He doesn't even play in the NHL anymore. At least Kabs puts up points.
Mara as a bottom pairing physical left handed defenseman to keep the spot warm for Tinordi for half a season. I truly think Tinordi arrives quickly after a cup of coffee in the AHL. He's damn close to NHL ready.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:03 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Mara as a bottom pairing physical left handed defenseman to keep the spot warm for Tinordi for half a season. I truly think Tinordi arrives quickly after a cup of coffee in the AHL. He's damn close to NHL ready.
I agree with the idea, as I write on page 1, but there are better options than Mara, Allen and Jackman, but if they want a longer term deal, there are guys like Scott Hannan who would take a 1 year deal.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:04 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Quote:
I'd rather have Frederic St-Denis in that spot then Mara. I'd rather we spend money on getting bigger n better up front.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:07 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
You lost me at Mara. You wanna get rid of Kabs and replace him with Mara. He doesn't even play in the NHL anymore. At least Kabs puts up points.
Quote:
Don't.

Tinordi need's to fill out hugely. At his body mass he's equivalent to a 5'10 170 guy... Or a 6 150... Just wait till he meets Lucic in the corners.
Also defensemen tends to develop slower. Bigger ones take even more time. I hope he's ready soon too. But don't get ur expectations too high. In one year he'll have 10 games played and we will all be hyped up about next season and him playing. Or, he will start to really get into it and play in the playoffs.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
I agree with the idea, as I write on page 1, but there are better options than Mara, Allen and Jackman, but if they want a longer term deal, there are guys like Scott Hannan who would take a 1 year deal.
I'm not married to Mara by any means, moreso just saying I'd like to sign a Mara type. A half the season, physical defensive minded veteran, who can transition nicely into the 7th Dman role. Mara fits the bill and is a known commodity. Hannan would be a better option though, he might be less willing to sign that kind of deal.

Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
We have a much much much better version of that in Emelin. I think he should be #5 next year.

Trade Kaberle if Markov looks to be healthy and sign a Jackman/Allen/Mitchell type #4 guy.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:10 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

I'd want to see Crampoli back in the AHL for the rest of the season...

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:11 AM
Lions999

Yeah get rid of Kabs he gets 1 point for every 2 games but he is also the cause of about 3 goals for every 2 or 3 games...

Lions999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:17 AM
PricePkPatch

You keep him, you help everybody find their balance, including him. With Markov in our top 4, you can afford to pair Kaberle with a better shutdown man.

You make him understand that he better show up next year in shape, cause we don't want no fat no more on this team.

And you trade him about 20-33% into the season, when some teams are starting to realize they have PMD emergency, and you are sitting on a surplus PMD. You trade him for strong prospect value.

You surely dont trade him between season.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:21 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Don't.

Tinordi need's to fill out hugely. At his body mass he's equivalent to a 5'10 170 guy... Or a 6 150... Just wait till he meets Lucic in the corners.
Also defensemen tends to develop slower. Bigger ones take even more time. I hope he's ready soon too. But don't get ur expectations too high. In one year he'll have 10 games played and we will all be hyped up about next season and him playing. Or, he will start to really get into it and play in the playoffs.
I agree this is a big offseason for him to add weight. But he has the frame to add 10-15 pounds in one offseason if he puts in the work. Ultimately i think he ends up around 6'7" 240, and by next year I think he'll be at 230...

Old
03-09-2012, 09:21 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
You keep him, you help everybody find their balance, including him. With Markov in our top 4, you can afford to pair Kaberle with a better shutdown man.

You make him understand that he better show up next year in shape, cause we don't want no fat no more on this team.

And you trade him about 20-33% into the season, when some teams are starting to realize they have PMD emergency, and you are sitting on a surplus PMD. You trade him for strong prospect value.

The only problem with your plan is that it prevents you from signing the big stay at home d-man we need in the top 4. Better to move him in the summer even if we get little or nothing.

Old
03-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The only problem with your plan is that it prevents you from signing the big stay at home d-man we need in the top 4. Better to move him in the summer even if we get little or nothing.
If you remove Gomez the money situation is fine (AHL or amnesty)

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:25 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Wtv its a good deal or not, whoever was scouting Kaberle deserve credit for realizing that his game was somewhat on the way up when the trade happened.

With the Canes, Kaberle had 9 points, in 29 games and -12, and had only 4 power play points, so overall -8 (he doesn't play the PK). With MTL he has 22 points in 39 games, -8, but has 12 power play points, giving him a +4.

Old
03-09-2012, 09:26 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
If you remove Gomez the money situation is fine (AHL or amnesty)
I agree that Gomez needs to be gone...IMHO that's a no brainer and I'm sure already a "done deal" unless a team will take him for no or little money coming back.

we will need money to sign a top 4 winger plus some of the young guys need raises.

Old
03-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Wtv its a good deal or not, whoever was scouting Kaberle deserve credit for realizing that his game was somewhat on the way up when the trade happened.

With the Canes, Kaberle had 9 points, in 29 games and -12, and had only 4 power play points, so overall -8 (he doesn't play the PK). With MTL he has 22 points in 39 games, -8, but has 12 power play points, giving him a +4.
He had 4 points and +2 his last 2 games with Carolina, I'm sure it encouraged the Habs to get him.

Old
03-09-2012, 09:28 AM
gusfring

If Markov returns, we need 2 new d-men.

Only Markov, Subban, Emelin and Gorges should return.

The 2 new guys need to be big, physical guys... ie Allen, O'Brien etc.

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:29 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I agree that Gomez needs to be gone...IMHO that's a no brainer and I'm sure already a "done deal" unless a team will take him for no or little money coming back.

we will need money to sign a top 4 winger plus some of the young guys need raises.
Without the cap going up,(if it goes down, its its a roll back, so everyone salary goes down too, so it would be the same), we should have about 8-9M to spend in the summer time.

Old
03-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Without the cap going up,(if it goes down, its its a roll back, so everyone salary goes down too, so it would be the same), we should have about 8-9M to spend in the summer time.
Exactly, we'll be fine as long as gomez is gone

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:23 AM
PricePkPatch

So we still keep Kaberle and deal him early season next year. Wed get a much better return for him than in the open UFA market.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
we need to lose so keep Campoli and double shift him!!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Miller Time

any chance to move him should be explored aggressively, wether or not Markov is a "sure thing" (which he most certainly isn't).

as long as we can add a decent, let alone quality, defensive dman to play top 4-5 minutes next year,
Subban/Diaz/Weber (all with 1 extra offseason of development) provide more than enough PMD depth behind Markov should he falter/get injured again.

Kaberle was a useless addition this year, and while he piles up the secondary assists thanks to getting tons of minutes on the PP and on-ice with our only producing offensive line, his "contributions" clearly have done little to improve our teams competitive abilities.

@ 4.25M$, for a cap spending team, he's a "move ASAP" player almost as much as Gomez is.

only scenario that makes sense to keep him, is if habs can't find anyone willing to take on his contract, in which case we might be stuck with him & forced to make the best of it.

otherwise, even if for a 7th rd pick, he needs to go, markov or not, replacement player or not (yes, keeping 4.25M$ in cap space "free" is a positive thing heading into next year, with so many high-end players currently slated for UFA... none may get there, but if their teams struggle early, it's not a bad thing to be in a comfortable situation cap-wise to be aggressive in going after them).

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
we need to lose so keep Campoli and double shift him!!
We can tank even without Crampoli...

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:00 AM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
You don't understand how tanking works.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post

IMO Its a lot easier to deal a Kaberle contract in the summer when teams have space rather than during the season where rosters are already set.

That said, given the behavior of NHL GMs I'm sure someone is going to look at Kaberle as a top 30 scoring defenseman over his deficiencies. I think he'll be movable so long as your not asking for the moon in return.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:16 AM
tinyzombies

Fire Gauthier and dump him for a pick?

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote