HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

GM and Coaching options

Old
03-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Integral

vCash: 500
I'm not convinced that GMGM needs to go. His first round draft picks have been great and his scouting team has produced a great line of prospects (as evidenced by Hershey's success). Before this season everyone regarded this year's roster as one of the best in franchise history. I still feel that the coaching staff (and especially the inability of Dale to work around injuries) is what's holding our team back.

Integral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:40 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integral View Post
I'm not convinced that GMGM needs to go. His first round draft picks have been great and his scouting team has produced a great line of prospects (as evidenced by Hershey's success). Before this season everyone regarded this year's roster as one of the best in franchise history. I still feel that the coaching staff (and especially the inability of Dale to work around injuries) is what's holding our team back.
This argument (coach's fault) doesn't hold water in my book.

Do you ever ask yourself who hired our current coach? How about the 4 coaches before DH?

Also GMGM's draft picks were pretty terrible pre lockout as has been documented. Post lockout, after the increase in scouting budget, suddenly we drafted much better. GMGM still made the picks ultimately but its fair to scrutinize if it really had more to do with the scouting than the GM.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:46 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
It's hardly news to anyone but shiatting the bed and then getting great draft position, and then making a pick like Ovi Backstrom or Alzner, I think I could make that happen. Drunk.

Bruce ft. Eminger and Erskine so much (and successfully) in the playoffs vs Philly had the willing to make a deal for Eminger. I think that George wisely parlayed that into Carlson and gets a +1 for that move. But, maybe it was philly just being dumb a$$es. But it takes 2 to tango.

True or not, it was rumored Philly was fishing for Erskine. Probably still had an eye on him after that series where he far exceeded expectations. And in most every playoff series after that.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 01:45 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
It's hardly news to anyone but shiatting the bed and then getting great draft position, and then making a pick like Ovi Backstrom or Alzner, I think I could make that happen. Drunk.

Bruce ft. Eminger and Erskine so much (and successfully) in the playoffs vs Philly had the willing to make a deal for Eminger. I think that George wisely parlayed that into Carlson and gets a +1 for that move. But, maybe it was philly just being dumb a$$es. But it takes 2 to tango.

True or not, it was rumored Philly was fishing for Erskine. Probably still had an eye on him after that series where he far exceeded expectations. And in most every playoff series after that.
Instead of Ovi, Backstrom, and Alzner, we could, very reasonably, have picked Ovi, Brassard, and Voracek. So yeah, just having the draft position doesn't make a pick a no-brainer. That's just biased hindsight speaking.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:39 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Instead of Ovi, Backstrom, and Alzner, we could, very reasonably, have picked Ovi, Brassard, and Voracek. So yeah, just having the draft position doesn't make a pick a no-brainer. That's just biased hindsight speaking.
The point is that with a pick that high chances are you are going to get a very good player so you can't give GMGM as many "points/pluses" for those picks than you can for a Green/Carlson pick.

The real successful franchises find gems in the mid to late rounds of the draft and thats something we only recently have had some measure of success with and even that remains to be seen.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:49 AM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
I don't think anyone is questioning his ability to collect talent. He just has no clue how to put a winner together. He missed out on the teams best years not having the balls/brains to go for it.

To win a cup the team need to have low cost secondary scoring. When our guys were still on the cheap side. He would not bring in the vet we needed. Now are guys are making big bucks and they are all over paid with no cheap secondary scoring.

Mr Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:02 AM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
As long as GMGM has been at it. You could use the basic scouting info and bring each pick down to top five guys for that spot. And you could hit just as many times with a dart on a dart board. Up until the past few season he has done nothing with mid to late round picks.

Mr Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 06:53 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
also...had the caps not hit the lottery on ovechkin, the word is cam barker. i mean, bust. it also means they probably got crosby. of course that means ovechkin is never suspended or even harrassed for his physical game, he scores 70 goals and the usa wins the gold medal in the last olympics.

meanwhile crosby is concussed in practice by steckel and the caps never get off the ground.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 08:32 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Fact is RH is right...players back in the 80s took just as much (if not more) punishment than players today. Back then there was no such thing as a headshot! haha But those guys are fine now.
All I can say is that if you play hockey at all you probably have played with some older guy who still wears his equipment from the '80's. If so go ahead and hit yourself in the head with those elbow or shoulder pads and then do the same thing with the same 'pads' made today. The differences aren't even close.

The game is faster today but IMO the equipment is the biggest issue.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 08:52 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
also...had the caps not hit the lottery on ovechkin, the word is cam barker. i mean, bust. it also means they probably got crosby. of course that means ovechkin is never suspended or even harrassed for his physical game, he scores 70 goals and the usa wins the gold medal in the last olympics.

meanwhile crosby is concussed in practice by steckel and the caps never get off the ground.
Always spreading good tidings and cheer...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 08:08 PM
Integral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Do you ever ask yourself who hired our current coach? How about the 4 coaches before DH?
I think Bruce was a pretty great coach for the most part. His regular season record speaks for itself. His problem was that he could never suitably adapt his style for playoff hockey, and as a result he lost the team.

Dale has a been a bust so far, but he was also picked up midseason where there were fewer options. Next season's coach should be more indicative of GMGM's judgement.

Integral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Integral View Post
I think Bruce was a pretty great coach for the most part. His regular season record speaks for itself. His problem was that he could never suitably adapt his style for playoff hockey, and as a result he lost the team.

Dale has a been a bust so far, but he was also picked up midseason where there were fewer options. Next season's coach should be more indicative of GMGM's judgement.
Next season's coach is Hunter unless next season's GM isn't McPhee.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 09:22 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
All I can say is that if you play hockey at all you probably have played with some older guy who still wears his equipment from the '80's. If so go ahead and hit yourself in the head with those elbow or shoulder pads and then do the same thing with the same 'pads' made today. The differences aren't even close.

The game is faster today but IMO the equipment is the biggest issue.
Players are bigger and faster. Those are your two biggest factors in that situation. Also, we're finding out almost every week that the older players aren't in the mental shape we think they are.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:35 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post

Not sure if it was misinformation to media by the Caps, but I do remember folks in the media commenting how the Caps coveted Barker that year. That player is up there with Daigle or Wickenheiser. Total busts and so glad we went with the obvious smart pick in Ovechkin.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 03:58 AM
Dream Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Next season's coach is Hunter unless next season's GM isn't McPhee.
I think you may be right. Seeing what needs to be said and then saying it is not always easy. Props to Hunter. Seems to have worked.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=...navid=sb:recap

"Alzner said the Caps got a talking to from Hunter after the second period.

"His message was basically just to man up -- play hard and play as a team," Alzner said."

Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:17 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Always spreading good tidings and cheer...
what? you are the optimist today?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:31 AM
fsnoles98

The inevitable was delayed in last night's team win. This team lacks a defensive commitment and overall is not very good at this point in time.

fsnoles98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:05 AM
bgroban

Yeah, Hitch would have been a poor choice as Caps' coach.

bgroban is offline   Reply With Quote