HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

GDT: Chicago @ Nashville: 2/4/06 @ 7:00pm CT

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2006, 08:48 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Heh, the only call that was probably incorrect was the Barnaby one, but that is only because of the timing of when they called the penalty. A lot of them have been must calls, tons of high sticks, etc...

The Blackhawks are so undisciplined, but man they have a terrific PK...

Terrific save by Vokoun on Arnason, slipping that glove in there and snatching away a goal when he was beaten soundly.

Statistically their PK isn't that great. I think it's more a case of our PP being very, very bad right now. We can't even get the puck into the zone, let alone get set up and generate.

And I know I sound like a broken record, but I HATE THE SETUP WE'RE USING. IT DOESN'T WORK. STOP TRYING IT.

Old
02-04-2006, 08:57 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Erat delivers tacos to 17,113 hungry fans on a back-and-forth 2 on 1 with Perreault.

Vokoun has been HUGE in this game. You wouldn't think he would have had to be, but he's made some outstanding saves. Sillinger looks more and more comfortable with each shift.

Old
02-04-2006, 09:24 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

HARTNELL WITH THE HAT-TRICK!!

The first of his career, his 20th goal of the year!

And did you see who set that up? SULLIVAN. DOWN LOW.

TAKE NOTE, TROTZ!

6-0!

Old
02-04-2006, 09:27 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

How many times do you see a goaltender pull a 40 SHOT shutout?! It's no wonder Vokoun doesn't get more shutouts, but talk about earning it tonight.

Old
02-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
How many times do you see a goaltender pull a 40 SHOT shutout?! It's no wonder Vokoun doesn't get more shutouts, but talk about earning it tonight.
Yeah, he really did play well tonight, and to get a shutout facing 14 shots, then 20 shots with a 4 goal + lead is really remarkable. Most goalies give up a few when the game is so clearly in your teams grasps just because the intensity factor is down.

Its so great to see Scotty get a hat-trick, plus an assist. It really looks like Trotz has changed up the offensive ES strategy a bit...either that or the forwards are finally "getting it" in regards to play around the net. 5 of the goals tonight were due to forwards around the net and getting in tight.....the only one not being the Erat goal.

2 in a row....lets go to Dallas steal 2 points, and then spank some Red Wings

02-04-2006, 09:47 PM
beautypersoni

Not a complete game. Great first period, of course. But we didn't show the same intensity and aggressiveness that we showed against Colorado. Not that we needed it against Chicago, but we will need it when we play Dallas, and then Detroit again. Congratulations to both Scott Hartnell and Tomas Vokoun!

BTW, I'll be watching Alexander Radulov play this Friday for the Quebec Remparts against my home team, the Acadie-Bathurst Titan. I'll try to post my opinion of how he looks. I'm going for a 4-3 win for the Titan, with a hat-trick by Radulov. :-)

Anyhoo...

Old
02-04-2006, 09:59 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
Statistically their PK isn't that great. I think it's more a case of our PP being very, very bad right now. We can't even get the puck into the zone, let alone get set up and generate.

And I know I sound like a broken record, but I HATE THE SETUP WE'RE USING. IT DOESN'T WORK. STOP TRYING IT.
They have the 8th best PK in the league, and I know they have been in the top 3 for long stretches of time. Facing Detroit and our PP so often has to hurt them.....Of course, the are the most penalized team in the league as well

Old
02-04-2006, 10:06 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
They have the 8th best PK in the league, and I know they have been in the top 3 for long stretches of time. Facing Detroit and our PP so often has to hurt them.....Of course, the are the most penalized team in the league as well
I just don't understand why Trotz is so stubborn about changing things up on the PP...or is Horachek to blame, since he's in charge of special teams? Kariya is awful on the halfboard, Sullivan isn't good at the point...so why stay with that strategy? I'd like to see us go back to Timonen and Zidlicky at the POINTS, Sullivan down low in the left corner, maybe Hartnell screening...and Kariya going whereever there's open ice. Right now, our PP is too predictable, and the whole 'play catch or chip it back behind the net over and over' thing doesn't work. Period.

Old
02-04-2006, 10:33 PM
dulzhok

I believe it's also the first time that we've had three 20 goal scorers (Sullivan, Hartnell, Perreault). I expect Erat and Kariya to make this mark as well. Walker would've likely made it without the injury.

Of corse this doesn't include Sillinger, who I happened to notice is tied for 4th in the league in goals among centers.

Old
02-04-2006, 10:41 PM
Stars-Preds

Congrats to Hartnell on his first career hat trick. Is there a better goalie in the NHL right now than Tomas Vokoun?

Old
02-04-2006, 11:23 PM
vopatsrash

The first 2 periods were the Pittsburgh game revisited, except our goalie was hot. Our third period tonight was much better than the pittsburgh third.

Vokoun wasn't going to let one in tonight and it looked like he knew it in the early 2nd period. He was absolutely in a zone and pretty much dominated that game. He had a swagger and a rhythm tonight that he has not shown since the injury. You can say it was just the blackhawks, but the blackhawks had all sorts of quality chances in the 2nd when we stunk it up and even in the 3rd. That was the game 3-4 vs. Detroit Vokoun. Wow.

The comic highlight of the game was the Blackhawks fans wearing paper bags over their heads and winning the fan of the game. Assuming they weren't planted, of course.

Old
02-04-2006, 11:40 PM
Pred303

an entertaining game..if you're a pred fan..

..amazing how easy it all was to get that 4-zip lead. wasn't near that easy to get number 5 as the intensity level dropped, understandably to be honest.
..as funny as it soundes in a 6 to 0 game against a weak chicago team, vokoun played great, probably his best single game of the year. made at least 5 huge highlight type stops tonight, all when we were up 4 to nothing. vokoun was fantastic both with the glove tonight and in the many scrambles in front of him with bodies and pucks flying everywhere. two of the pointblank glove saves he made while down in the butterfly on close in slapshots were amazing.
..tonight was the single best example of what i've been talking about when i have been saying we were a counterattack,quickstrike type of team. few shots, but high percentage scoring chances when we got them. chicago's defensivemen and goalies have no answer for our speed into the zone, we consistently beat their dmen to the net on 2 on 2 type rushes.
..hartnell had about the easiest hattrick you'll ever see. three times he winds up all alone in front of the goalie with the puck on his stick. great little move on the first one, wehre munro is no doubt still studying gamefilm to see what happened. then a gimme on the perreault rebound, then a fine little wrister to cap it off on the pp. great to see him at 20 goals, on his way to 25+.
..perreault had a fantastic game to be perfectly honest. tonight he made the best passes i've ever seen him make. the 2 on 1 with erat, the two passes to hartnell. and then had a nice goal on top of it on a great pass from kariya on the pp.
..our pp. it's enough to drive a fan that knows hockey crazy. we consistently score pp goals,w hile looking absolutely terrible on the pp for 90% of the time. then all of a sudden, just when you think we couldn't score on a 50 minute 5 on 3, the puck magically winds up on someones stick and we knock it in. it's enough to make a hockey connoisseur drink heavily in trying to figure out why we're not either 1srt witht he personnel we have, or 30th with the execution we have.
..notice one of the pp we scored on (the harts hattrick one) sullivan was where he should be on the pp, on the halfboards running the pp, and not being misused out on the point.
..johnson with a great game. some more fluttering saucer pass from the right point diagnally thru to hartnell driving the net on the first goal. have no idea how that slow motion pass got thru to harts. and a nice shot from the slot on the third pred goal
..erat and perreault ran a picture perfect 2 on 1 give and go. you could see erat setting up in that spot, the perfect spot for a lefthander to take that shot from.
..want to say the pk did a great job, and they obviously did holding chicago to an 0 for 4 on the pk..but in reality vokoun made 7 saves in those 4 pp's, three of them were great ones.
..if we played chicago 82 times this year, we'd threaten the oilers all time single season scoring record and perreault would have 82 goals (he has 6 now against chicago this year).
...arnason... had 9 shots on goal in the last two periods. most all of vokoun's great saves were against him.
...the hordi-smithson-tootoo line didn't have their best game. they got pinned in our end virtually every shift it seemed like in the 2nd and 3rd period. but, they did hit, 8 hits between the three of them. tootoo actually had a good scoring chance, and they drew that first penalty and they had a couple of good forechecking moments early, but overall they looked a little rusty tonight.
..kariya continues to pick up points without playing exceptionally well. he did make a great pass to perreault on the pp to get one pp goal, and even picked up a secondary assist. generally however he's playing not his best.. of course it seems he gets about two assists a night in games he looks like he's struggling in.
..i really like it when you never know which of our lines is going to put up multiple goals..here tonight the 3rd line players score 4 and the first line players score 2, when last game the 2nd liners chipped in all 4. makes it so tough to know what line to try to put your best checkers out against.

great crowd... before this season is overwe're going to be averaging over 15k a night for the entire year.. this franchise is turning the corner right before our very eyes in every aspect, very rewarding to see for all us oldtimers...

Old
02-05-2006, 12:23 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

The power play is...baffling. It's nice that we did manage to pick up a pair of goals, but I wanted to scream a few times, even when we were already up. We can get away with having such an awful power play against the Hawks...but come playoff time, and even down the stretch with our tough schedule, this team needs to live and die by special teams. I've been harping on this for a while, and pred303 mentioned it...but I don't know what Trotz's fixation on using Kariya on the halfboards and Sully at the point is. It simply DOES NOT WORK. It reminds me of a child with one of those shape puzzles...repeatedly trying to squeeze the triangle piece into a square hole. TRY SOMETHING ELSE!!! PLEASE! MY SANITY DEPENDS ON IT! Notice that Sullivan made a BEAUTIFUL set up for Hartnell's third goal...and where was he? IN THE LOW LEFT CORNER, WHERE HE'S BEEN MOST EFFECTIVE EVER SINCE HE CAME TO THE TEAM. I just finished watching the Canucks and Oilers, and it made me pretty teary-eyed to see teams that don't look completely incompetent setting up and moving the puck. Kariya has the best, most accurate shot on the team...so why is he pinned to the halfwall, where he never gets the chance to use it? I'd like to see Timonen and Zidlicky on the points...after spending no less than an hour a day taking shots from back there in practice....on an open net...and learning to get their shots down and on net...and then Sully in the low left corner\low halfboard....Kariya just to the right of the net...and possibly Hartnell screening the goalie. The only problem is that it doesn't give us a good faceoff guy on the PP...but...just an idea, nonetheless.

We took several steps back in clearing the zone, tonight. I've noticed that we love to try the blind wind-around-the-boards to no one in particular. Any smart team stations a guy at the point to get it back...and they usually do. I'd love to see an actual BREAKOUT, rather than a blind clear or a miracle home-run pass up past center ice. Markov is the only defender we have that effectively clears the zone most of the time. I still think that's a big weakness with this team, and I hope to see a big d-man acquired before the deadline. It would go a long way.

Vokoun was outstanding tonight. This easily could have been a 6-3 or 6-4 game. Arnason was a one-man wrecking crew for the Hawks. He had several opportunities to just mosey into the slot and pick his shot. Vokoun simply wasn't giving up the rebounds. Huge game, and I hope it represents momentum turning for him, after a stretch that he admitted wasn't his best, culminating in that Jackets game.

PK was good at times...and pretty bad at others. I don't like Johnson out there anymore, and would like to see the PK forwards as Sully\Walker, Silly\Smithson and Hall\Hartnell. Defenders have got to try to get the puck to a supporting forward or step off the boards before clearing, because too many times we're getting the puck to the line, but not out. It's too easy to hold a clear in when all you have to do is station yourself on the boards at the point and wait for a soft wind-around to come to you.

PK's pass to Perreault and Sully's pass to Hartnell on their respective goals were...artistic.

Sillinger had another great game, and I hope they keep that Sully Silly Walks line together. He shows the poise that only a true veteran can, and even showed off a few moves tonight. Good passer, too.

Hartnell's first goal came off the type of pass that Johnson ALWAYS makes and usually fails with...and should have failed at this time, if Vandemeer had been alert enough to get a stick on the puck rather than trying to swat at it as it skidded by on the ice with his glove....but...he didn't, and Hartnell was all alone in the crease for an easy drag and poke.

Erat's goal came on the PERFECT shot. He lined it up before he even wound-up, and there was no way any one was stopping it.

All in all, great to get the win...and hopefully their eyes are opened as to what to change\work on for Monday's game in Dallas. I hope I've seen the last of that PP setup...but that's the last I'll say about it...until I see it again

Old
02-05-2006, 01:48 AM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
i believe i called the laugher

Old
02-05-2006, 03:24 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Harts 2nd star of the night via NHL.com

Great game, Vokoun was awesome

Old
02-05-2006, 11:09 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Beating Chicago is so sweet after that long thread on the NHL board about how the Blackhawks were poised to rule the central.

Old
02-05-2006, 11:32 AM
handtrick

Just a few random additions:

Vokoun was playing for the #1 spot on the Czech Olympic team last night with that shut out effort.....he is putting immense pressure on the coaching staff on who to start....him or Hasek.....he has always said....play who is currently playing the best deseves the #1 spot.....last night was the start of his claim to that spot......he truly deserved the #1 star considering who truly had the more outstanding effort between him and Hartnell...but certainly understand how you HAVE to give it to the kid for his first career hat trick [since he was an atom, except in Norway from his post game interview].

Speaking of hat tricks....check out the video highlights on np.com.....that is MY hat that ice girl is skating around with on her head.....let the fantasies role...

Reviewing this thread....Perreault certainly did not receive enough love for his role in the win....we did not see Perreault the finisher...garbage man tonight...his passes were crisp...on the tape....and truly of the deft playmaking variety.
He and Hordichuk are the two most underated cogs of this team.....give the man some love every once in a while.

I have a friend who talked to a waiter at Big River Grille in downtown Nashville last night and he had overheard some Blackhawk players in there Friday night saying how they have nothing the play for....season was already over, etc....all hearsay of course..but pretty sad really...

I was proud of the crowd last night....we took the 2nd period off as did the players...but we came roaring back in the third...giving Vokoun the praise he deserved and willing that hatter for Harts.....as Vopatrash said....the bagged head Chicago "fans of the game" was classic....

Old
02-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Radulov for Czar*

Sounded like a good game on 104.5. I wish I could have been there. Yannic played one hell of a game, as did Harts. I hope the boys can keep it up going into our 2nd nationally televised game of the season!!

Old
02-05-2006, 04:55 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Handtrick you are bang-on about Peanutbutter, he had a great game. Some of the Legwand defenders that are Pero haters should realize they both fit the "they are what they are" arguement. And Pero was great lastnight.

As an aside to that, I would like to mention the play of Erat in the d-zone.(He is now the one covering for Pero in the d-zone) I like it, sure he's learning and he looks frantic most of the time but it seems to "get him into the game". I have noticed that after a hard fought battle in our zone to get control of the puck he seems to have an attitude about keeping control. It makes him play with an edge since he is getting hammered by the forecheckers.

Old
02-06-2006, 07:20 AM
biscuithead

Send a message via AIM to biscuithead
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang
As an aside to that, I would like to mention the play of Erat in the d-zone.(He is now the one covering for Pero in the d-zone) I like it, sure he's learning and he looks frantic most of the time but it seems to "get him into the game". I have noticed that after a hard fought battle in our zone to get control of the puck he seems to have an attitude about keeping control. It makes him play with an edge since he is getting hammered by the forecheckers.
I noticed that, too. He laid out some hits in behind the goal as well. I thought it was Suter back there at first!

Old
02-06-2006, 12:34 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Did you hear Hartnell's cheese grater story on the WrapUp Show?

Old
02-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars
Did you hear Hartnell's cheese grater story on the WrapUp Show?
That was good radio! ...

Old
02-06-2006, 02:11 PM
braindead

Share please. I couldn't listen to the callers and ruin a perfectly good evening of hockey.

Old
02-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead
Share please. I couldn't listen to the callers and ruin a perfectly good evening of hockey.
Hartnell's fiance was fixing him a pre-lunch/dinner meal before the game. When Harts gets home, she had cut herself pretty badly with a cheese grater, they take her to the hospital, and on their way back....Hartnell said, you better hope I don't score a hattrick tonight because then your going to need to do this before every game...Coincidentally HE DID score a hattrick

One of the funniest stories I have ever heard...naturally I'm not doing it justice, but its been too many days for me to remember all the details.

Old
02-06-2006, 04:06 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead

He said that he usually goes to a place like Amerigo's before the game for a meal. On this night his fiance wanted to make a dinner for him, he tells her that if he gets a hat trick then she will have to do this for every game day.

So she sets out to fix the meal and ends up cutting her hand, and passing out. Harts takes her to the hospital and later goes to the game where he nets 3 goals.

- the story went something like that. it was funny to hear him tell it.

Closed Thread