HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Great Beaulieu Article

Old
03-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Hugo Sham

vCash: 500
Great Beaulieu Article

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...8_section_POS3

some great insights

-stays in regular contact with gorges and subban
-scout compares him to yandle
-says he will be a top 4 in NHL
-says bruins would've drafted him (over couturier) if Hamilton wasn't available

etc...

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Et le But

I loved this pick and I have high expectations for Beaulieu. He's a work in progress but he has all the talent to be a top 4, two way player. Nice to hear he already is friendly with guys he will play with in a few years.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Roulin

A bit beside the point, but it's kind of crazy how much it seems NHL scouts soured on Couturier by draft time. Looks to me like a classic case of a player's overexposure because of how long he was a top prospect.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Zorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
A bit beside the point, but it's kind of crazy how much it seems NHL scouts soured on Couturier by draft time. Looks to me like a classic case of a player's overexposure because of how long he was a top prospect.
I think they were scared of what happened to Esposito.

Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
I think they were scared of what happened to Esposito.
I think you might be right. I also think that was/would've been an overreaction, Couturier's 10-11 was much better than Esposito's 06-07.

Another thing that I think hurt Couturier is getting the "safe" tag because he improved his defensive play, and took on a different role in the WJC (which IMO should have been considered a positive, not a strike against his offensive potential).

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Told you guys that this kid was and still is for real. I kept hyping him in his draft year and the only reason why I didn't have him in my top 5 at our pick was because it made no sense for me that he'd still be available. You watch him and you know he's going to be a player. It is pretty easy to see that the talent is there and that the ceiling is pretty high. Just need to work on other parts of the game and he will do it.

Here's a case of a BPA pick. For me, Timmins had NO choice but to pick him. And he did. Kudos for doing it.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Told you guys that this kid was and still is for real.

Hey, it wasn't just you.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Told you guys that this kid was and still is for real. I kept hyping him in his draft year and the only reason why I didn't have him in my top 5 at our pick was because it made no sense for me that he'd still be available. You watch him and you know he's going to be a player. It is pretty easy to see that the talent is there and that the ceiling is pretty high. Just need to work on other parts of the game and he will do it.

Here's a case of a BPA pick. For me, Timmins had NO choice but to pick him. And he did. Kudos for doing it.
Really we lucked out there, there was no way to justify not taking Beaulieu. As far as I'm concerned the only defenders clearly ahead of him were Larsson and Hamilton, and as much as everyone wanted a forward, with Armia and Baertschi off the board, to ignore that high end a talent because of need would have been insanity.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 12:42 PM
WestIslander

I loved this pick!

Funny story...

I was watching the draft at home and around the 10th pick overall I left to go have dinner and drinks with another couple, at the restaurant the RDS feed was on but no volume was on, at this point I had no idea who was "still on the table", as Timmins got to the podium and picked Beaulieu and they showed his name on the screen, I was ecstatic and could not believe that he was still available, I still cannot believe that he was available at 17th overall.

Beaulieu was very sought after by Boston, Vancouver and even teams picking in the top 10 according to the TSN panel at the time, personally I would of loved Hamilton to see a Tinordi - Hamilton tandem in the future, but Beaulieu will do and I think that we are set at defense for the next decade.

Bring on Grigorenko or Galchenyuk now!!!

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Hey, it wasn't just you.
Great. So Kudos to you and the rest. Though, I remember a thread about a lot of bashing of the pick and me defending it which is mostly what I'm referring to. Don't remember who else did as well but there was surely some of them. But then, I'll take care of the good and the bad that I wrote. I'll let the others take care of their own stuff if you don't mind.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:11 PM
MXD

I think that says much more about the scout than about Beaulieu.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I was watching the draft at home and around the 10th pick overall I left to go have dinner and drinks with another couple, at the restaurant the RDS feed was on but no volume was on, at this point I had no idea who was "still on the table", as Timmins got to the podium and picked Beaulieu and they showed his name on the screen, I was ecstatic and could not believe that he was still available, I still cannot believe that he was available at 17th overall.

Beaulieu was very sought after by Boston, Vancouver and even teams picking in the top 10 according to the TSN panel at the time, personally I would of loved Hamilton to see a Tinordi - Hamilton tandem in the future, but Beaulieu will do and I think that we are set at defense for the next decade.
I think he's the classic case of the guy who is high on plenty of team's lists... but there's always THAT other guy that they prefer a little more and pick before him... and he ends up falling because of this.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:14 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Great. So Kudos to you and the rest. Though, I remember a thread about a lot of bashing of the pick and me defending it which is mostly what I'm referring to. Don't remember who else did as well but there was surely some of them. But then, I'll take care of the good and the bad that I wrote. I'll let the others take care of their own stuff if you don't mind.
I honestly thought that NB was one of the more "home run" picks we've seen here on HF in terms of concensus in a very long time? But I totally share your opinion on NB and I felt the same way, I never got hyped about him because frankly I thought NO WAY we we're going to get the opportunity to select him. As soon as it became evident that it was becoming possible, I was absolutely ECSTATIC.

One of my top Habs moments in the past 5 years actually, I was uber stoked when we drafted him.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:15 PM
76ftw

vCash: 1907
Quote:
Yup you're like a messiah, or a truth teller. You need to enlighten the rest of us right? Teach the uneducated masses about all of your Habs knowledge!

76ftw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...8_section_POS3

some great insights

-stays in regular contact with gorges and subban
-scout compares him to yandle
-says he will be a top 4 in NHL
-says bruins would've drafted him (over couturier) if Hamilton wasn't available

etc...
That isn't a very good comparison as Yandle is ridiculously soft and avoids contact at all costs.......basically a younger Kaberle.

I personally think Mike Green is a better comparison with Beaulieu.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:27 PM
JackZap

lets hope Gainey doesnt trade him for Brad Boyes

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:33 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ftw View Post
Yup you're like a messiah, or a truth teller. You need to enlighten the rest of us right? Teach the uneducated masses about all of your Habs knowledge!
You must not read Whitesnake very often.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
You sound kinda condescending and arrogant sometimes.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
You sound kinda condescending and arrogant sometimes.
He is the Habs board version of Don Cherry

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Perrah

Quote:
Yeah just to check out his jesus-like ability I went back to the draft thread and only a few people didnt like the pick and they still didnt mind it an just would have preferred a center. Most were very happy.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
Yeah just to check out his jesus-like ability I went back to the draft thread and only a few people didnt like the pick and they still didnt mind it just would have preferred a center.
it be funnier if it was him

Old
03-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
it be funnier if it was him
That it would but it is still great that he tries to talk down to people about how he was right when the popular opinion was that it was a great pick.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
That it would but it is still great that he tries to talk down to people about how he was right when the popular opinion was that it was a great pick.

I can do it too.....

I can't believe Gretzky wasn't the top pick in the 1979 dispersal draft....

he's just setting up his "ah-ha" moment for his BPA argument on picking a dman in the top 3.

Old
03-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Connor McJesus
Praise

Quote:
Whitesnake is one of the most informed and insightful posters on the habs board.

Connor McJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:54 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

I'd pick to chat with WS over any of you two 11 times out of 10. He's the BPA (best poster available), anyway.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote