HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 68: Jets (2) @ Canucks (3) Kesler, Edler, Pahlsson

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2012, 01:09 PM
VanEric

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Which bad goals are you refering to? How many of them were considered poor?
Nashville. 3 goals on 5 shots. Legwand scores from the corner. Fisher scores on a backhander short side from the wing. Weber blasted one in short side but it's Weber.

Chicago. Tight game, outshooting the Hawks, down 2-1, Schneider gives up 3 goals in 4 minutes in the third period. Toews has an empty net because Schneider slides out of the net on a rush. Sharp scores a goal from the wing, short side, goes through Schneider. Steve Montador comes down the wing, shoots it and beats him clean.

Carolina. Winning 2-1, lets three goals in about 6 minutes. Bowman tips one in through Schneider, decent goal. Allen shoots a harmless shot from the point, Ruutu tips it a bit but it was stoppable. The killer is the third one, Bowman just floats a wrist shot in over Schneider's glove.

All of this is stuff Luongo would get CRUSHED for. Right or wrong but you can't make a blanket statement that Schneider doesn't get rattled.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:22 PM
vanwest

Now that the can of worms has been opened, are people surprised at how ineffective Hodgson has been. I expected the defensive struggles with a bigger role but I'm surprised he hasn't had a better offensive game with all of the extra minutes. Early days still.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
Nashville. 3 goals on 5 shots. Legwand scores from the corner. Fisher scores on a backhander short side from the wing. Weber blasted one in short side but it's Weber.

Chicago. Tight game, outshooting the Hawks, down 2-1, Schneider gives up 3 goals in 4 minutes in the third period. Toews has an empty net because Schneider slides out of the net on a rush. Sharp scores a goal from the wing, short side, goes through Schneider. Steve Montador comes down the wing, shoots it and beats him clean.

Carolina. Winning 2-1, lets three goals in about 6 minutes. Bowman tips one in through Schneider, decent goal. Allen shoots a harmless shot from the point, Ruutu tips it a bit but it was stoppable. The killer is the third one, Bowman just floats a wrist shot in over Schneider's glove.

All of this is stuff Luongo would get CRUSHED for. Right or wrong but you can't make a blanket statement that Schneider doesn't get rattled.
I missed the Chicago game and we can agree to disagree on the Nashville goals being poor ones but I don't think there's any question Luongo's play suffers after he's surrenders 2 or 3 quick goals. It's a pattern we've seen going back a few years now and IMO he looks visibly rattled when things start to turn. Luongo is a different goalie when he has a shutout going as opposed to in games where he's surendered 2 or 3 1st period goals IMO - would be surprised if the numbers didn't reflect this...

Schneider doesn't look to have the same issues IMO. Though he has a smaller body of work to judge.

Calling Schneider 'mentally weak' for allowing 1 questionable goal on a semi-breakaway in a nothing game is still absurd, any way it's spun. Especially when he shuts the door the rest of the way and earns a 3-2 win...

Old
03-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Quote:
This seems to be a common theme with Nashville. I don't think they're all that much better offensively, just getting all the bounces. I guess it sort of happened against us in the playoffs last year with all those behind the line goals.

Preds better hope that puck luck continues or their offense could fall way off.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:30 PM
KesGold17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
Good game. Disappointed in Kassian though, I expected more physicality.

Guess we should temper our expectations a tad.
Yeah, I thought he had a very weak game

Old
03-09-2012, 01:34 PM
ThereGoesVirtanen
Right through you.

Kassian will step his game up in the playoffs.

Never played a playoff game and he's in a hockey crazy Canadian city. He'll be steamrolling people. I just want him to stay disciplined. It's almost like he sees red and just acts without thinking (ex. the slash from the bench) and that's a dangerous way to play the game.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:36 PM
KDizzle

Hm I though Booth had a pretty meh game.
I did like his power move to the net.. but other than that, he seemed like the anchor to the Amex line.

However, despite that, that was our best line. Booth will come around, but it was good to see that line so dominant at times on the cycle when they're more known for their play off the rush.

Sedin line (particularly Burrows) was much better. Henrik was unlucky to not get on the scoresheet.

I think if they keep playing like this, the bounces (and calls) will go their way and they'll rack up the points like they used to.

Also, Dan Hamhuis was a beast last night. Loved his play. He does it so quietly that you hardly notice him on the ice.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:43 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
I did like his power move to the net.. but other than that, he seemed like the anchor to the Amex line.

However, despite that, that was our best line. Booth will come around, but it was good to see that line so dominant at times on the cycle when they're more known for their play off the rush.

Sedin line (particularly Burrows) was much better. Henrik was unlucky to not get on the scoresheet.

I think if they keep playing like this, the bounces (and calls) will go their way and they'll rack up the points like they used to.

Also, Dan Hamhuis was a beast last night. Loved his play. He does it so quietly that you hardly notice him on the ice.
That's my favourite thing about Booth, we don't have enough guys who attack the net like that.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:48 PM
rban*

Seasonal milestones: Kesler hit 20 goals, Edler hit 10.

I'm hoping Salo (8) and Bieka (7) all hit double digits .. well hit 10 at least..

Old
03-09-2012, 01:51 PM
AmazingNuck

Higgins belongs on Kesler's line. The duo of Kesler-Higgins > Kesler-Booth.

Play Kassian with Hansen. Maybe Hansen's work ethic will rub off on Kassian.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:53 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingNuck View Post

Booth-Kesler-Higgins
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Hansen-Lapierre-Kassian
Malhotra-Pahlsson-Raymond

Is what I want to see next game. Shelter the Sedins a bit until they work out of this funk, and reward the Kesler line that looked dominant last game.

03-09-2012, 01:54 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
Kassian and Hansen are our only two natural right wingers. Please let's not put them on a line together.

As for Hansen's work ethic rubbing off on Kassian...he was a disaster paired with Hodgson. Bad work ethics seem to rub off on him, rather than the other way around.

Old
03-09-2012, 02:00 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I missed the Chicago game and we can agree to disagree on the Nashville goals being poor ones but I don't think there's any question Luongo's play suffers after he's surrenders 2 or 3 quick goals. It's a pattern we've seen going back a few years now and IMO he looks visibly rattled when things start to turn. Luongo is a different goalie when he has a shutout going as opposed to in games where he's surendered 2 or 3 1st period goals IMO - would be surprised if the numbers didn't reflect this...

Schneider doesn't look to have the same issues IMO. Though he has a smaller body of work to judge.

Calling Schneider 'mentally weak' for allowing 1 questionable goal on a semi-breakaway in a nothing game is still absurd, any way it's spun. Especially when he shuts the door the rest of the way and earns a 3-2 win...
I agree that's an absurd statement. I just caution rushing to judgement making a statement in the complete opposite direction. Schneider's "meltdown" rate is very similar to Luongo's in the regular season. In the playoffs? Only time will tell on that.

Old
03-09-2012, 02:21 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
I agree that's an absurd statement. I just caution rushing to judgement making a statement in the complete opposite direction. Schneider's "meltdown" rate is very similar to Luongo's in the regular season. In the playoffs? Only time will tell on that.
Hmm. I'd agree that they have a similar ratio of good to bad games, but I'd disagree that they have a similar "meltdown" rate. Luongo's struggles in that regard have been overstated, both here and elsewhere, but you have to admit...when the guy does have a "meltdown", he goes off the rails in truly spectacular fashion.

Old
03-09-2012, 02:28 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Sedin-Sedin
Kesler Higgins
Pahlsson Hansen
Lappiere Kassian

These pairs need to stay together, everyone else can be moved around.

Old
03-09-2012, 02:29 PM
GTHP95

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
That's my favourite thing about Booth, we don't have enough guys who attack the net like that.
Booth needs to learn lift the puck high when he's in tight though.

Old
03-09-2012, 02:32 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
Hmm. I'd agree that they have a similar ratio of good to bad games, but I'd disagree that they have a similar "meltdown" rate. Luongo's struggles in that regard have been overstated, both here and elsewhere, but you have to admit...when the guy does have a "meltdown", he goes off the rails in truly spectacular fashion.
I'm talking about the regular season and specifically the last two. The rate is the same. I don't really care how they look to fans because our how we view Luongo is clouded by the past.

Old
03-09-2012, 02:35 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
I'm talking about the regular season and specifically the last two. The rate is the same. I don't really care how they look to fans because our how we view Luongo is clouded by the past.
Technically how we view everything is clouded by the past. If it wasn't for cognitive bias and emotion all we'd ever engage in here is dry statistical analysis.

Old
03-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:

I see nothing wrong with Kassian's work ethic just his consistency like virtually all young rookies and first year pros.

Old
03-09-2012, 02:52 PM
ThereGoesVirtanen
Right through you.

Booth - Kesler - Higgins is so effective.

Higgins chases down the pucks in the corner and dishes to Kesler, who is the primary sniper. Then you've also got Booth who can put in rebounds and drives the net harder than anyone on the team.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:19 PM
yoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post

Yeah, i loved that smothering play on Wheeler last night especially.

I'm not one to complain about reffing, but that non call on Kelser and the obligatory non calls on holding, clutching, grabbing on the Sedins is getting old. And how the ___ did Kesler get the only penalty on that one play? I know Nucks don't get the calls, that is pretty standard and expected, but it's like they don't even care anymore how obvious they're being. Too much clutching and grabbing in general in all the games, even non Canuck games.

And as happy as i was to see the boys come out with some energy and fire last night, the Jets are well below .500 on the road, so though it was seemingly a good step in the right direction, i'd still like to see some continued domination before i'm convinced they are playing up to their usual level. Nice to get a win though.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:36 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
Technically how we view everything is clouded by the past. If it wasn't for cognitive bias and emotion all we'd ever engage in here is dry statistical analysis.
Which is the most accurate way players should be judged.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:48 PM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
I see nothing wrong with Kassian's work ethic just his consistency like virtually all young rookies and first year pros.
Agreed. Ineffectiveness does not have to equal laziness/poor work ethic. Especially with a young player. A player learning the game and learning the speed of the NHL can look terribly lazy when he may simply be one step out of position. He'll get there. What I haven't seen is a kid that stops skating. Some poor choices. Some poor reads but he is skating hard.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:56 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Which is the most accurate way players should be judged.
If it wasn't for emotion and bias none of us would enjoy sports, or even have a rooting interest in a given team or a player to begin with. It's a silly thing to say we're biased in the way we view Luongo, when in truth we're all biased in the way we view all these guys.

Advanced stats are fun and they can give us a deeper understanding of the game, but we're none of us unbiased and objective.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:56 PM
VanEric

At least with Kassian we don't have the annoying ICE TIME MEDIA WATCH/RIFT discussion.

Closed Thread