HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2012, 10:31 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

vCash: 500
Size is the biggest factor in why Tedenby was useless in the big club this season. He was pushed around and when he tried to use his speed to get by defenders he was always held up off the puck. Such things cannot be ignored.

Old
03-09-2012, 10:33 AM
Tedenby21
Boo's Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
Size is the biggest factor in why Tedenby was useless in the big club this season. He was pushed around and when he tried to use his speed to get by defenders he was always held up off the puck. Such things cannot be ignored.
A couple of bounces go the other way and everyone is saying a different story. I remember countless posts that he hit, bad bounces, and players he passed to hitting posts. Those pucks go in the net and no one is saying anything.

Everyone's sample size is so small, which is why everyone is always jumping over a player. This isn't just for prospects.

Old
03-09-2012, 10:34 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedenby21 View Post
I forgot this is HF, where if you are 21 and aren't lighting the world on fire you were a bad draft pick.
I never said Tedenby was a bad pick, risky might be the better word here. Granted, all selections are "risky" but we've drafted two Euro wingers who are small in stature with our 1st round pick in the past couple of years and the results, so far, have told us that our 1st experiment went south in a hurry and the other still has a huge question mark on his back.

I'm just saying that it might not be the best pick if we do go down that road.

P.S. Why am I seeing the name of RNH floating around? The kid went #1 overall of his draft class and I doubt the finish kid we're talking about has a 1/5 of the "overall talent" that RNH has atm.

Old
03-09-2012, 10:38 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedenby21 View Post
A couple of bounces go the other way and everyone is saying a different story. I remember countless posts that he hit, bad bounces, and players he passed to hitting posts. Those pucks go in the net and no one is saying anything.

Everyone's sample size is so small, which is why everyone is always jumping over a player. This isn't just for prospects.
Couple of bounces? He played 43 games, you'd expect him to score at least one with his stick.

Scoring:

League Averages
Season Lg GP G PP PPO PP% PK% SA SV SV% GAA
2011-12 NHL 949 2.73 0.60 3.38 17.61 82.39 29.7 27.1 .914 2.5
2010-11 NHL 1230 2.79 0.64 3.54 18.02 81.98 30.3 27.7 .913 2.61
2009-10 NHL 1230 2.84 0.68 3.71 18.23 81.77 30.2 27.5 .911 2.66
2008-09 NHL 1230 2.91 0.79 4.16 18.95 81.05 30.1 27.4 .908 2.73
2007-08 NHL 1230 2.78 0.76 4.28 17.75 82.25 29.0 26.3 .909 2.61
2006-07 NHL 1230 2.95 0.85 4.85 17.58 82.42 29.5 26.7 .905 2.77
2005-06 NHL 1230 3.08 1.03 5.85 17.68 82.32 29.9 27.0 .901 2.93
(source: http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/stats.html)

Does not bode well for anyone who can't create their own space

Old
03-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Mustangs

Send a message via MSN to Mustangs
If NJ ends up 4-7 in the east do they forfit the pick this year?

Old
03-09-2012, 10:46 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangs View Post
If NJ ends up 4-7 in the east do they forfit the pick this year?
Not sure. Assuming we'll have to forfeit it regardless of CBA - yes. But if there's a way of avoiding the penalty via the CBA in some way then no. Not sure what's up Lou's sleeve but I wouldn't mind if they did.

Old
03-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Tedenby21
Boo's Dangles

I'd say it's similar to Clarkson's bad season last year. Think about all of the PP's he drew by himself. If only we had the ability to score on a PP we would all be praising how he is able to force players to take penalties against him. Also, don't forget who he was playing with for a good amount of games. I'm sorry but he shows a lot of promise and it is why Palmieri was traded and he wasn't. A sophomore slump also isn't a surprise to anyone.

Old
03-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Have to agree with T21. I`m not sold on him either, but there`s definitely some light at the end of the tunnel. He can still be a good player for us. Give it time.

If we can re-sign Zach, we`ll have a plenty of that. If not, well, jump in and swim, kid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
Not sure. Assuming we'll have to forfeit it regardless of CBA - yes. But if there's a way of avoiding the penalty via the CBA in some way then no. Not sure what's up Lou's sleeve but I wouldn't mind if they did.
Bingo! I think Lou will be waiting for whatever happens in the offseason. I seriously doubt he decides to forfeit the pick this year.

Old
03-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Whoa, I need to jump back a page for a second. I understand everyone being tentative about drafting small players, but that shouldn't have any bearing on drafting Teravainen or not. The knock on this kid isn't his size, it's his strength, and that can obviously be improved.

I mean the kid is 5'11", he's not another Gio. You know who else is 5'11"? Parise. Also Datsyuk and Zetterberg. And RNH as someone previously mentioned. Oh yeah, and Sidney Crosby.

That kind of height does not prohibit a player from being successful in "today's NHL."

Win to reign in Teravainen!

Old
03-09-2012, 12:04 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
Whoa, I need to jump back a page for a second. I understand everyone being tentative about drafting small players, but that shouldn't have any bearing on drafting Teravainen or not. The knock on this kid isn't his size, it's his strength, and that can obviously be improved.

I mean the kid is 5'11", he's not another Gio. You know who else is 5'11"? Parise. Also Datsyuk and Zetterberg. And RNH as someone previously mentioned. Oh yeah, and Sidney Crosby.

That kind of height does not prohibit a player from being successful in "today's NHL."

Win to reign in Teravainen!
That's all fine and dandy but I hope you realise that the players you mentionned are all among the elite of the league and I don't think Teravainen is anywhere close in terms of potential when compared to the players you just threw out there.

We are talking about a couple of 1st overall picks, a stud that fell in a draft that was loaded from top to bottom and two guys that flew under the radar and got drafted in the later rounds of the draft.

I just think that when comparing players, we should at least stick to more realistic options instead of taking the cream of the crop.

Old
03-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
That's all fine and dandy but I hope you realise that the players you mentionned are all among the elite of the league and I don't think Teravainen is anywhere close in terms of potential when compared to the players you just threw out there.

We are talking about a couple of 1st overall picks, a stud that fell in a draft that was loaded from top to bottom and two guys that flew under the radar and got drafted in the later rounds of the draft.

I just think that when comparing players, we should at least stick to more realistic options instead of taking the cream of the crop.
Patrick Kane, Steve Sullivan, Danny Briere, Kimmo Timonen, Ray Whitney, Mike Ribiero, Brad Marchand, Daniel Alfreddson, John Michael-Liles, Scott Gomez, Sam Gagner, Derek Roy, Tobias Enstrom, Cammalleri, Kris Versteeg, and then there's loads of players listed as "6 feet" that are probably shorter (like Phil Kessel and Sykora always looked shorter than 6 feet to me).

Look, I'm not trying to put this kid in the same class as these players. I'm saying that his height should not scare anyone away, especially when scouts are starting to think he could be the MOST TALENTED PLAYER in the draft and might find himself as a top-10 pick.

EDIT: I didn't even remember St. Louis.

Old
03-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Belizarius

Send a message via MSN to Belizarius
I want Tim Bozon, to have a countryman to watch with a Devils jersey

Old
03-09-2012, 01:04 PM
GameSeven
ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς

Random thought: Teravainen sounds like a new House in a season (or novel if you prefer) of Game of Thrones

Old
03-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Tedenby21
Boo's Dangles

I don't want to sound like a homer, I'm not saying that Tedenby is guaranteed or that he is going to reach his potential from all the talent he has. Like Getzo said, there is light at the end of the tunnel. He has things to improve on and I'd rather see places where he can improve than say "he's a finish product and this is what we're stuck with".

Old
03-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Given the strength of the Devils group of defense prospects, it creates an interesting situation given the strength of the draft this year with out a doubt is defenseman. BPA is always the mantra for sure. But should a guy like Vasilevski or Subban be available when the Devils pick or any forward that they have high on their draft board, it wouldn't surprise me to see them lean towards taking one of those positions over a defenseman, given the depth of the draft eligible defenseman. On the flip side, with that depth, you might see a very highly touted defense prospect or two fall right into NJ's lap. Lots of interesting variables to consider this year.

Interesting tidbit about Tedenby from my perspective anyway. I was at that draft when they took him, and I'm still convinced that if the Oilers didn't take Eberle two picks before the Devils, that Eberle would have been a Devil. Tedenby was expected to go a little higher than he did, so they recognized the value at where they were picking and it was a pretty easy choice for them I think. Even though he hit a bump in the road development wise this year, I'm not ready to write him off just yet.

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Old
03-09-2012, 01:30 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

22. Buffalo (via Nashville) - LW Stefan Matteau

Old
03-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I don't mind trading down for Tedenby, and missing on Eberle. Because of those trades we ended up with Urbom and Cormier.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ramsden View Post
Given the strength of the Devils group of defense prospects, it creates an interesting situation given the strength of the draft this year with out a doubt is defenseman. BPA is always the mantra for sure. But should a guy like Vasilevski or Subban be available when the Devils pick or any forward that they have high on their draft board, it wouldn't surprise me to see them lean towards taking one of those positions over a defenseman, given the depth of the draft eligible defenseman. On the flip side, with that depth, you might see a very highly touted defense prospect or two fall right into NJ's lap. Lots of interesting variables to consider this year.

Interesting tidbit about Tedenby from my perspective anyway. I was at that draft when they took him, and I'm still convinced that if the Oilers didn't take Eberle two picks before the Devils, that Eberle would have been a Devil. Tedenby was expected to go a little higher than he did, so they recognized the value at where they were picking and it was a pretty easy choice for them I think. Even though he hit a bump in the road development wise this year, I'm not ready to write him off just yet.
You thought this too? Also, say that once again and I`ll rip your head off. I`m still mad at the fact that the Oilers took him. Always been a huge fan of his.

Seriously though, I have no idea what Conte`s plans are. But I too tend to think he won`t focus on D unless someone like Koekkoek falls.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:53 PM
lucscaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I don't mind trading down for Tedenby, and missing on Eberle. Because of those trades we ended up with Urbom and Cormier.
I'll say it, I mind not taking carlson at that spot and taking tedenby.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Trading down for Tedenby got us Kovalchuk

Old
03-09-2012, 02:02 PM
lucscaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
how's that?

Old
03-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Well, it's not a direct result, but it got us the necessary asset to trade for Kovalchuk. We could have taken Carlson and still gotten Kovalchuk.

Old
03-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
I don't have a problem with it either given how everything else has unfolded. I was just a big Eberle booster. I'm pretty sure I took him with the Devils pick for the HF Staff Mock draft.

Old
03-09-2012, 02:59 PM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
You thought this too? Also, say that once again and I`ll rip your head off. I`m still mad at the fact that the Oilers took him. Always been a huge fan of his.

Seriously though, I have no idea what Conte`s plans are. But I too tend to think he won`t focus on D unless someone like Koekkoek falls.
Hahaha. I was a big fan of his too having seen him play in Junior. Speed and his small stature was what was working against him, but all he did was score goals. Can't teach the instincts.

I tend to think that way too. Unless a real good defenseman falls into their laps, I think they'll go another direction.

Old
04-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Devils1029

On draft lottery day, time for a bump of this thread. As it stand right now, we'd be picking 20th and I'd say no way we forfeit this pick. None. Nada. Unless we make it to the conference finals which would move us to picking 27-30th.

Otherwise, we keep it. I was hoping Teravainen would be there but he's climbing up the rankings and likely won't be around but we could hope a guy like Gaunce or Collberg is still there at #20. If we go D, Koekoek, Maata, or Poulliot shoudl be there.

Closed Thread