HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When was the last time ?

Old
03-09-2012, 03:04 PM
zzoo

vCash: 500
When was the last time ?

Since I only start to follow Habs since 1992, this is the first time that I see Habs tanking, if my memory serves me well. In the past, we were out of playoff few times, but most of the times we were ranked #9-13. And we competed till April or end of March, not like now that we are out since end of February.

So, when was the last time that Habs trying to tank ? When was the last time that Habs finish last in the conference ? the whole League ?

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Since I only start to follow Habs since 1992, this is the first time that I see Habs tanking, if my memory serves me well. In the past, we were out of playoff few times, but most of the times we were ranked #9-13. And we competed till April or end of March, not like now that we are out since end of February.

So, when was the last time that Habs trying to tank ? When was the last time that Habs finish last in the conference ? the whole League ?
To my knowledge the club has never tried to tank and is not trying to tank now.

The closest we've come to the bottom in the modern era I think was 2001. That season we were near the bottom only to have a late surge move us up. I think we drafted 7th that year and got Mike Komisarek.

The top 5 picks that we've had since the modern draft has been as a result of trades and a lottery win. Other than that, I don't think we've ever finished low enough to draft top five.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Feel free to review our history and where we've finished by looking at this link:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/MTL/

Actually, it looks like we did draft top five once due to standings. It was the very year the modern draft began in 1970. Ray Martyniuk was our pick as we missed the playoffs that year.

As far as I know though, 1970 would still be a weird draft year because you still had players who'd been signed to C-Forms (like Bobby Orr) as teenagers. So the draft took on more meaning in the next few years as the only way you could get those younger players was to draft them. The WHA made things more intersesting as well.

EDIT: Correction. Martyniuk was traded for as well from the California Seals.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 03-09-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 03:11 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Are you ****ing serious? The Oilers' game is the biggest proof they're not tanking. GTFO.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Well they've never really tried to tank this hard before. Even in 2003 we were in the playoff race until the final month. In 2001 we played too well after bottoming out with a brutal 10-23-4-2 start. Other playoff misses were down to the wire (2007, 1995, 1970, 1948). Last time the Habs finished at the bottom of the conference was when it was a seven team league and that was in 1939-40 when they went a woeful 10-33-5- the worst season in franchise history. This one will rank among our bottom 5 in win percentage unless we win 4 more games.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Are you ****ing serious? The Oilers' game is the biggest proof they're not tanking. GTFO.
Nope. It's a proof that the Oilers are worse than us. Selling at the deadline is prety much the closest thing an actual team can do to be considered "tankers", so I say that we are.

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 03:30 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

That's bull ****. If they really were tanking, they would've sold far more than they did.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 03:38 PM
WestIslander

- 7th overall and drafted Mike Komisarek

- 10th overall and drafted Andrei Kostitsyn

- 5th overall and drafted Carey Price (Does not count though because it was a lockout year)

- 12th overall and drafted Ryan McDonagh

All these are over the last decade and in my opinion, they were all a result of a bad season (expect for 2005).

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

They are on pace for their worst season since 1948. They haven't really ever tanked in the draft era, except for maybe when they drafted Lafleur (but that wasn't tanking, that was an impromptu rebuild where Pollock demonstrated how much smarter he was than every other GM in the league)

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
They are on pace for their worst season since 1948. They haven't really ever tanked in the draft era, except for maybe when they drafted Lafleur (but that wasn't tanking, that was an impromptu rebuild where Pollock demonstrated how much smarter he was than every other GM in the league)
The Lafleur pick didnt belong to Montreal

Old
03-09-2012, 04:39 PM
One Trick Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsevolod Bobrov View Post
Nope. It's a proof that the Oilers are worse than us. Selling at the deadline is prety much the closest thing an actual team can do to be considered "tankers", so I say that we are.
Do you understand how hockey works? Or even the term selling in general. We're not giving up something for free like it would be the case if we let our players because UFA...

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 04:50 PM
smon

The team's not officially tanking of course, but to say that they are particularly concerned with winning the remaining games isn't true either...they're essentially experimenting with certain things, i.e. Brad Staubitz dressing regularly, Tomas Plekanec playing with Ryan White and Blake Geoffrion, trying to play more physical of a game, etc.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 04:58 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliash View Post
Do you understand how hockey works? Or even the term selling in general. We're not giving up something for free like it would be the case if we let our players because UFA...
No team tells his players to purposely lose so technically tanking isn't even a real term smartass. Selling is the closest a team can do as far as "giving up".

Old
03-09-2012, 05:03 PM
One Trick Pony

Quote:
No team tells his players to purposely lose so technically tanking isn't even a real term smartass. Selling is the closest a team can do as far as "giving up".
I thought you were saying that we were tanking just because we were sellers.

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 05:05 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

In 07 we could have traded Souray and a bunch of other scrubs, but BG didn't because he thought we could sneak in somewhat. This year we shipped AK and Gill because there was no hope left. That's tanking.

Old
03-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
In 07 we could have traded Souray and a bunch of other scrubs, but BG didn't because he thought we could sneak in somewhat. This year we shipped AK and Gill because there was no hope left. That's tanking.
And before people jump up and down on that being a bad decision by Gainey it should be acknowledged that they were a single goal away from the post-season that year. It wasn't unreasonable to think they were positioned to make the second season.

Similarly in 08-09 I believe they were around 5th-6th in the conference when the deadline came around after an solid 1st half. It wasn't unreasonable to think they could overcome their problems at that point.

I'm sure they could have been smarter and dealt all their UFA's those years but I don't think their is a GM in the league brave enough to sell off his players when they are in playoff position. I'd be impressed if someone can come up with an example of that happening.

This is the first time in a while they were in actual selling position.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:29 PM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
And before people jump up and down on that being a bad decision by Gainey it should be acknowledged that they were a single goal away from the post-season that year. It wasn't unreasonable to think they were positioned to make the second season.

Similarly in 08-09 I believe they were around 5th-6th in the conference when the deadline came around after an solid 1st half. It wasn't unreasonable to think they could overcome their problems at that point.

I'm sure they could have been smarter and dealt all their UFA's those years but I don't think their is a GM in the league brave enough to sell off his players when they are in playoff position. I'd be impressed if someone can come up with an example of that happening.

This is the first time in a while they were in actual selling position.
No one who knows anything about the context of 08-09 would ever complain about the Habs not being sellers then. We were coming off the amazing 07-08 season, it was the club's centennial year and we were definitely a recognized contender with the additions of Alex Tanguay and Robert Lang to the 1st in East club. Little did we know that 07-08 was the peak of that edition of the team... literally everyone on the club played worse than the previous year in 08-09- Kovalev, Koivu, Kostitsyn, Plekanec, Komisarek, Price, etc. On paper should have been a better team than they ended up being and definitely not worthy of selling off. The whole overhaul in the offseason was basically out of left field.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:41 PM
dm1371

Quote:
Oilers are just better tankers than us...

dm1371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 02:18 AM
bsl

Quote:
They are tanking, intentionally. Any goalie would be better then I'mdrinkinagain.

I'm really pissed at the Oilers, and at the NHL for allowing this travesty.

No team should be allowed to pick top 3 three years in a row. End of.

I hate the Pens for the same reason.

Do you realize the Oil might get Yaks in the Lotto if they finish 29th? Do they deserve that? **** off they do.

NHL draft system sucks ass. It encourages losing. This is not hockey.

Last edited by bsl: 03-10-2012 at 02:26 AM.
bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 08:56 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Yet the GM still has his job. What a farce.

Last edited by PunkinDrublic*: 03-10-2012 at 09:02 AM.
PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote