HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Can someone tell me exactly how draft works for bottom 5...???

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Rickkins

vCash: 500
Can someone tell me exactly how draft works for bottom 5...???

Sorry to ask such a nube-ular question, but it's hasn't really been a concern before.

I've heard various versions, with some, or all, or some combination thereof going into a draft lottery...even read about it online(which just made my head hurt)

Could some explain it to me, in plain English..??

Thanks.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

The National Hockey League Draft Lottery is a weighted system to determine the order of selection for the first 14 picks of the Draft.

The Draft Drawing involves clubs that did not qualify for the Stanley Cup playoffs, or the clubs that acquired the first-round drafting positions of those non-playoff clubs.

Per NHL rules, the club selected in the Draft Lottery may not move up more than four positions in the draft order. Thus, the only clubs with the opportunity to receive the first overall selection are the five teams with the lowest regular-season point totals, or the clubs that acquired an eligible club's first-round draft pick. No club will move down more than one position as a result of the Draft Lottery.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:37 PM
Rickkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
The National Hockey League Draft Lottery is a weighted system to determine the order of selection for the first 14 picks of the Draft.

The Draft Drawing involves clubs that did not qualify for the Stanley Cup playoffs, or the clubs that acquired the first-round drafting positions of those non-playoff clubs.

Per NHL rules, the club selected in the Draft Lottery may not move up more than four positions in the draft order. Thus, the only clubs with the opportunity to receive the first overall selection are the five teams with the lowest regular-season point totals, or the clubs that acquired an eligible club's first-round draft pick. No club will move down more than one position as a result of the Draft Lottery.
Ok, so for us, sitting at 3rd to last, we would definitely go into this lottery thing, could get to number 1, but could also end up 2, 3 or 4. Do I have that right..??

Thanks.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:41 PM
FrankFountain
Legendary Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
Ok, so for us, sitting at 3rd to last, we would definitely go into this lottery thing, could get to number 1, but could also end up 2, 3 or 4. Do I have that right..??

Thanks.
No the only positions we can draft is 1st(we win the lottery),3rd and 4th.

As per the rules, a team can advance a maximum of 4 spots (like Jersey last year going from 8 to 4) and a team can never drop more than one spot.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:41 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Odds of Winning the 1st Overall Pick
48.2% - 30th Place
18.8% - 29th Place
14.2% - 28th Place
10.7% - 27th Place
8.1% - 26th Place

Does are the chances of picking number one, if you want a the more detailed explanation, I have no idea, but I know is that the max you can move up is 4 spots, but only move back 1 spot.

If we finish in 28th spot, where we are now, we have a 14.2 chance of picking 1st, and at worst we would draft 4th.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:42 PM
Intense

Quote:

Thanks.

Scenario 1 - We win the lottery, we jump from 3rd to 1st

Scenario 2 - A team ranked 7th, 6th, 5th or 4th win the lottery, they move in front of us and we end up picking 4th

Scenario 3 - A team ranked 8th to 14th win the lottery, they jump 4 places but that doesn't affect us, we still pick at 3rd

Scenario 4 - A team ranked 1st or 2nd win the lottery, we still pick at 3rd

In a nutshell...

Old
03-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Sorry to ask such a nube-ular question, but it's hasn't really been a concern before.

I've heard various versions, with some, or all, or some combination thereof going into a draft lottery...even read about it online(which just made my head hurt)

Thanks.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+does+drafting+work+in+the+nhl

Old
03-09-2012, 03:53 PM
llamateizer

Quote:

Thanks.
what are the various versions you got?

Old
03-09-2012, 04:03 PM
AllanMTL46
Alexei BOOM Emelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
LOL x100

Old
03-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Question has been answered, so I'm going to shut this one down.

And another reminder to keep draft related discussions to the draft sticky rather than creating a new thread.