HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The loss of Hecht is significant

Old
03-08-2012, 12:08 PM
beerme1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
He's been on LTIR for some time.
The team would not be cap compliant if he wasn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imyourhuckleberry View Post
He's on IR, not LTIR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
He's on LTIR and has been since late January, I guarantee it.

Don't want to take my word for it?
Darcy confirms that he is in this video (~9:35).
Thanks. You would think that Bucky the intrepid or someone would have reported this info especially as we got near the deadline. I think the only thing I heard was three weeks ago or so that he skated on his own. Thats it.

beerme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:41 PM
ShaPow

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltenlava26 View Post
The simple fact is, with limited top 6 center options, there is no other choice but to leave Roy centering the top line.
I really don't understand this at all. Even with a healthy Hecht, Hecht is still a natural winger, and is best suited for the wing.

Ennis was playing extremely well at center prior to the Hodgson trade. Why does Hodgson's presence make Ennis a winger again? It shouldn't.

These are more reasons for why Ruff is so confusing.

Who is the best defensive center on the team? Derek Roy. He should be playing on the 3rd line between Gerbe and Kaleta for that specific reason.

It's incredibly simple. Take your pick for the top line center. Ennis or Hodgson. I'd go with Hodgson, with Ennis centering the 2nd line, and Roy centering the 3rd line.

The Kassian trade did the opposite of what you're saying. Limited top 6 center options?? Huh? There are 3 top 6 center options now, and Ruff is using the absolute worst option of the 3 he has, while playing his other 2 options, the 2 best options, on the same line. It's hilarious.

ShaPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 03:19 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerme1 View Post
Thanks. You would think that Bucky the intrepid or someone would have reported this info especially as we got near the deadline. I think the only thing I heard was three weeks ago or so that he skated on his own. Thats it.
The News doesn't understand how the cap works, so they don't really bother reporting anything that has to do with it (and if they do, it's usually wrong or partially true).

If you have questions about that type of thing, ask here and you'll get a better answer.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy4Prez View Post
All very true.

Say what you will about Hecht, but it would be great to stick him between Vanek and Poms and let Roy center the 3rd line.
Actually, given Hodgson's play so far with increased ice time, I wonder if the better scenario wouldn't have been for Hecht & Roy to centered the top 2 lines and let Hodgson be the 3rd liner like he was in Vancouver until he got used to his new teammates, system and coaching staff. I know the view is that he wanted more ice time than he got in Vancouver but he was obviously producing fine with the reduced pressure of 3rd line match-ups - it seems that the added responsibility to provide offense on a less talented team, with more ice time, is one that he needs easing into to make a better transition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8haggard9 View Post
Hecht is definitely missed.
I think the penalty-killing started to really struggle when Hecht left the lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
The most important thing about Hecht was he wasn't corrupted like the Rochester core. You might not have gotten results from Jochen all the time, but you would get effort, and a lack of tolerance for a lack of effort, it seems in retrospect.
Well-stated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Hecht is a top 9 center and often a top 6 center..
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
He was a solid WINGER in the top 6. He was a solid 3RD line center. He was a good player to have in the lineup.
Hecht is definitely a legit top 9 forward in the NHL and arguably a solid top 6 winger, who can play for short durations as a top 6 center. For longer durations as a center, he was more appropriate in a 3rd line role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
His best years were him on the Wing not center. Hecht-Briere-Dumont, Hecht-Kennedy-Grier along with the lines mentioned earlier.
Actually, I think the 2 years with Briere as his center - one with Dumont on the right side, the other with Pominville on the right side - were his best two years where all of his strengths were maximized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Say what you want about Jochen, but over the last 5 years, this team plays much better with him in the lineup. I think it is a combination of his skill, work ethic and utility (2-way player who can play just about any position and any situation). I'd love to see the Sabres' record with him in the lineup and out of the lineup. This point has been raised numerous times over the past several years.
All very true - which, if he is able to get healthy this summer, I still believe the Sabres will entertain the possibility of re-signing him to a 1 or 2 year deal at a reduced salary. He's been one of the most versatile forwards that can contribute in almost any role the Sabres need him to do spot duty in - and Ruff has always seemed to value having that kind of flexibility. Add in the work ethic Hecht always had, and that he's never been a problem in the lockerroom, and it would make sense to bring him back.

Sadly, from the latest TBN blog update that Ruff gave on Hecht, it seems he won't play again this season.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 03:30 PM
TommyV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Hecht isn't a center at all. Just because the Sabres were forced to use him as one due to bad personnel management doesn't actually make him one. Hecht is as much of a center as Boyes and Leino are.
leino is a better center then winger the problem being injurys happen (to us this year like crazy) and ruff trys to move people around way to much. About a month ago playoffs where a bad joke around here and the best thing he could have done was move leino back and let him keep learning the spot (its way we got him)

But can anyone really say hecht not in the line-up has killed us. he's not a guy thats going to steal games for you. yes he may work better with the top line we dont really know and the way it looks it doesnt matter we'll be middle of the pack like always. just in or just out

TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post
But can anyone really say hecht not in the line-up has killed us. he's not a guy thats going to steal games for you.
He won't steal games single-handedly but I think there is a correlation to the team's penalty killing dropping off whenever he's out of the lineup; and the Sabres zone possession time and forecheck aren't as consistent as when he's in the lineup. Do those two aspects mean the difference between winning and losing? I would argue that they definitely tilt the odds in favor of wins. Plus, as many have noted, his defensive awareness allows his linemates to take more chances or the defensemen on the ice when he is to pinch more because Hecht is often the one to hang back and cover for them.

Even if he never plays another game for them, I'd put Hecht in the top 3 of all-time underappreciated Sabres. I know some of his critics say that it's easy to find replacements for the kind of player he is but I don't think it's that simple.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote