HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Biron = Vally = Brutal = Goodbye

Old
03-09-2012, 01:05 PM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Look at Boston, they have a chance to win no matter who is in net.
Yea well when you have a 1a and 1b as a tandem its tough to beat. Anyone who thinks Rask couldn't be a starter on half the other NHL teams is crazy.

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:12 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
50% of the goals he gave up in that Canes game were brutal. That PP goal was awful.
he also made some great saves that put his team in position to win

at the end of the day i tihnk its unreasonable to be up in arms about a backup goalie that has been as successful this season as he has

14-5-2

obviously he hasn't played great as of late, but im not sure it calls for throwing him under the bus

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:13 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

I think the valiquette comparisons and bringing up Johnson notions are a joke, but Biron has cost this team about 10 points against bad teams. Tampa, Ottawa, Jersey, a Chicago team that at the time had lost 9 in a row and had been playing the worst hockey that franchise has played in years. It's absolute garbage.

Close your legs and remove your head from your ass, Biron.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
I think the valiquette comparisons and bringing up Johnson notions are a joke, but Biron has cost this team about 10 points against bad teams. Tampa, Ottawa, Jersey, a Chicago team that at the time had lost 9 in a row and had been playing the worst hockey that franchise has played in years. It's absolute garbage.

Well put, I agree with you...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:56 PM
stan the caddy

It all started when our skaters let up 500 breakways in the first 3 minutes of the chicago game. The defense has been making way too many mistakes since. You can't expect a backup to put the team on his back.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

It seems like some people here don't understand that average goalies let in weak goals...

Listen to Torts post game press conference. No one even asks him about Biron. There's a reason for that. He's not an issue.

It's not like every NHL starting goalie is only scored on only on perfect plays, they all give up soft goals. Some people here are just so used to hank, they expect the backup to come in and give up no soft goals. And that's utterly foolish.

Kel Varnsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 02:16 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

There's really a limited amount of teams who really have a legit backup who vies you a chance to win every game. Guys like Biron are backups for a reason. He's not going to win every single one. I really don't see the point of this thread.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 02:52 PM
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine

Quote:
Look at Boston, they have a chance to win no matter who is in net.
Not every team can have that though, there aren't 60 guys who are good enough to be starters in this league.

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 02:54 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
It seems like some people here don't understand that average goalies let in weak goals...

Listen to Torts post game press conference. No one even asks him about Biron. There's a reason for that. He's not an issue.

It's not like every NHL starting goalie is only scored on only on perfect plays, they all give up soft goals. Some people here are just so used to hank, they expect the backup to come in and give up no soft goals. And that's utterly foolish.
absolutely. Biron is not the issue, lack of scoring is!
Biron just needs more offensive support. He's prone to give in
some weak goals from time to time, it wouldn't be an issue if we had a power play and more than 1 or 2 players that can score
consistently. We are what we are this season, but if we truly
want to got to the next level, this club needs some serious scoring!
enough of this one goal game crap.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMMV View Post
I think the fact that our offense couldn't even score more then 1 goal against a goalie that has 1 NHL game experience should be more of a concern. Has Biron been playing bad lately? Yes, but would this thread have exist earlier in the season after his first 7-8 games where he played very well? Hell, even in the main forum there were plenty of Rangers fans saying Hank/Biron were one of the best tandoms this season. Now after a few bad games, its like you guys want to execute the guy...off with his head! Sure he is in a funk, but so has our offense. When you are in a funk and only play games every so often, its harder to get out of it. This thread reminds me of the avator that someone here has that says not 82-0? This is a bad team. Get a grip.
To be fair, we had a lot of offensive chances last night but the puck just wouldn't go in for us. I thought we played a lot better last night..not worried at all. Hopefully we can beat the Hawks tonight

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 03:06 PM
stan the caddy

The problem is they played mistake free hockey for about the first 60 games and now they're not. This looks like the team we went into the playoffs with last year.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:14 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
All this gets us is a few more regular season points but the wear and tear is not worth it since Hank will be in for what will hopefully be a long plaoyoff. Sorry it's nuts to keep Biron from playing. let him do 2 or 3 more games. Team needs to also score. he didn't give up 5 goals he gave up 3. Sorry team can score. PP can score. Rangers dont have to lose that one. How bout not giving up penalty shots and breakways on the guy all 1st period vs chi...nope sorry but he hasn't been brutal not even close. I don't care if his first goal yesterday was an abomination against mankind in the end only 3 GA the team had enough PP chances to win
He was the only reason there was a penalty shot!

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 04:07 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
To make this comment while ignoring the entire rest of the post just provides evidence of an insane amount of ignorance.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 04:11 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
To make this comment while ignoring the entire rest of the post just provides evidence of an insane amount of ignorance.
Don't add that little piece there if you don't to be called out on it.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 04:22 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
Sir, I assure you I have no "lack of hockey iq" - what a broadly arrogant thing to state.

Back on topic, regardless of the constant reminder of henrik's rest, it is time to try and win some of these games by calling upon our farm teams and most notibly CJ who has had very positive results at this level. Boron seems past his expiration date.
You calling attention to the "constant reminder" of Henrik's rest doesn't make it any less important. Henrik being in tip top shape for the playoffs is many, many times more important than beating the ottawa senators once.

I don't know where this idea of Johnson being good at this level is coming from. Unless I'm missing something the guy played 6 NHL games and he won 1 of them. Thats not "very positive results at this level."

Lastly, maybe half of Biron's "soft" goals were result of abysmal defense in my opinion and 11-4-2 isn't the kind of record that deserves this sort of disrespect.

For reference:
Valiquette in his last seasons with NYR: 6 GP, 2W, 3L, 3.74GAA, .852SV%
Biron this season: 18 GP, 11W, 4L, 2OTL, 2.25GAA, .909SV%

So Biron =/= Vally. Not even close.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 05:20 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
How was Biron the only reason there was a penalty shot? If my memory serves me correctly, it was Girardi who is responsible for that one.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Esa 10

Biron has been playing mostly at a below average level for a backup for a couple of months now. Most of his wins during this time span have been due to excellent team defense, timely scoring and poor level of opposition.

Taking his whole season into consideration, he's had an average to slightly above average year for a backup. Nothing wrong with that and I wouldn't mind having him back next year. However, his lengthy dip in form highlights the fact that he shouldn't be getting a raise next year. He's fine at his cap hit but any demands for a substantial salary increase would lead me to look elsewhere. I'm not saying he's looking for one, but Biron is only useful to this team at 875-925k.

While there are worse back-ups around, there are quite a few who come out of AHL / Europe every year and play at a high level. Elliot was thrown on the scrap heap last year by Colorado. McDonald is a 31 year old who came up from AHL and has been awesome for Detroit. A guy like Bishop looks to have a solid future ahead of him. Not basing it off last night's game, Ottawa traded for him because of his high level of play in the minors. Hell, Tampa gave up on Mike Smith and he's carried the Yotes this season as a starter. There's plenty of depth around the league in the goaltending position. You don't need a high-end youngster like Rask or Schneider to have a good back-up.

This brings me to the organizational weakness NYR have in goal. If Henrik or Biron go down, there's no one in the minors to trust starting a game at the NHL level. The team would be in the same situation it was last year after the deadline. That's inexcusable.

People touting Johnson, Talbot, Stajcer must not know them. None of the 3 are NHL material. To put it bluntly, they are garbage. Johnson still can't find consistency at the AHL level. Talbot is an ECHL goalie who can't even beat him out. Stajcer struggles in the OHL. Wasted contract.

This is not difficult to rectify. Sign a good AHL vet for Hartfod who can come up to play in NY if someone is injured. Scour Europe and NCAA for good young undrafted goalies. There's a lot of talent developing late in the position. No need to blow a 1st or 2nd rounder. The Whale would benefit too. Most importantly, don't re-sign Johnson and Talbot this summer. They need someone there who won't embarrass in NY if called upon. They should and easily can do better.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Edge

Which brings up an excellent point - the Rangers are probably looking for a goalie in this year's draft.

Considering that the pick, under even the best of circumstances, is likely about 4 years from even challenging for a roster spot, let alone being ready to be a starter, we are probably entering that time period where drafting for a netminder is called for.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa 10 View Post
Biron has been playing mostly at a below average level for a backup for a couple of months now. Most of his wins during this time span have been due to excellent team defense, timely scoring and poor level of opposition.

Taking his whole season into consideration, he's had an average to slightly above average year for a backup. Nothing wrong with that and I wouldn't mind having him back next year. However, his lengthy dip in form highlights the fact that he shouldn't be getting a raise next year. He's fine at his cap hit but any demands for a substantial salary increase would lead me to look elsewhere. I'm not saying he's looking for one, but Biron is only useful to this team at 875-925k.

While there are worse back-ups around, there are quite a few who come out of AHL / Europe every year and play at a high level. Elliot was thrown on the scrap heap last year by Colorado. McDonald is a 31 year old who came up from AHL and has been awesome for Detroit. A guy like Bishop looks to have a solid future ahead of him. Not basing it off last night's game, Ottawa traded for him because of his high level of play in the minors. Hell, Tampa gave up on Mike Smith and he's carried the Yotes this season as a starter. There's plenty of depth around the league in the goaltending position. You don't need a high-end youngster like Rask or Schneider to have a good back-up.

This brings me to the organizational weakness NYR have in goal. If Henrik or Biron go down, there's no one in the minors to trust starting a game at the NHL level. The team would be in the same situation it was last year after the deadline. That's inexcusable.

People touting Johnson, Talbot, Stajcer must not know them. None of the 3 are NHL material. To put it bluntly, they are garbage. Johnson still can't find consistency at the AHL level. Talbot is an ECHL goalie who can't even beat him out. Stajcer struggles in the OHL. Wasted contract.

This is not difficult to rectify. Sign a good AHL vet for Hartfod who can come up to play in NY if someone is injured. Scour Europe and NCAA for good young undrafted goalies. There's a lot of talent developing late in the position. No need to blow a 1st or 2nd rounder. The Whale would benefit too. Most importantly, don't re-sign Johnson and Talbot this summer. They need someone there who won't embarrass in NY if called upon. They should and easily can do better.
I still maintain that Johnson could be a quality backup in this league and a decent (but not amazing or anything) starter.

What do you think of us drafting Andrei Vasilevski or Malcom Subban if they fall to our pick? Vasilevski seems like a good goalie and maybe BPA if he falls to us.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
absolutely. Biron is not the issue, lack of scoring is!
Biron just needs more offensive support. He's prone to give in
some weak goals from time to time, it wouldn't be an issue if we had a power play and more than 1 or 2 players that can score
consistently. We are what we are this season, but if we truly
want to got to the next level, this club needs some serious scoring!
enough of this one goal game crap.
agreed. No more 1 goal game and always outwork. We have to score more and drive it to the net..Oh wait, we need more jam We need finesse.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Watch us draft a goalie, and then Hank goes Hasek all over us and plays great till he's 105.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:37 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa 10 View Post

Oh yea, because most team's have an NHL caliber player stuffed in the minors waiting for the number one and two goalies to go down with an injury...

Biron's been fine. Of course, Rangers fans always need a scapegoat, even when their team is amongst the league's best.

Old
03-09-2012, 06:57 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Which brings up an excellent point - the Rangers are probably looking for a goalie in this year's draft.

Considering that the pick, under even the best of circumstances, is likely about 4 years from even challenging for a roster spot, let alone being ready to be a starter, we are probably entering that time period where drafting for a netminder is called for.
too many needs for that luxury unless an exceptional one slides.

Marty was doing so well, no he's suddenly lost it.
Either he finds it, or he doesn't.
If he does, and manages to keep it while talbot + stacjer improve, fine.

If not, is Jason LaBarbera still any good?
I thought I remember something 'bout Maloney looking to dump his salary, which is not killer more than Biron's.
Worth a swap if Marty slumps?
Or don't even bother to go there..

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

I don't know if many people remember but Chad Johnson really had it together finely when he was up visiting the team. He did an excellent job.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 07:22 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post

I won't fault him for the Chicago game. A penalty shot and and breakaway in the first couple minutes, plus a defense that forgot that a hockey game was going on for the first 20.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote