HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Great Beaulieu Article

Old
03-09-2012, 06:54 PM
NotProkofievian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Great. So Kudos to you and the rest. Though, I remember a thread about a lot of bashing of the pick and me defending it which is mostly what I'm referring to. Don't remember who else did as well but there was surely some of them. But then, I'll take care of the good and the bad that I wrote. I'll let the others take care of their own stuff if you don't mind.
I was almost certain that Beaulieu was going to Boston. The only thing that kept him out of Boston was Winnipeg's derp on Scheifele.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Wongchenyuk27
#WONGCHENYUK

Really interesting ! Looking forward for the other ones !

Wongchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...8_section_POS3

some great insights

-stays in regular contact with gorges and subban
-scout compares him to yandle
-says he will be a top 4 in NHL
-says bruins would've drafted him (over couturier) if Hamilton wasn't available

etc...
And why have the Stars, the Hurricanes, the Wild and even the Avs didn't pick Beaulieu? What made the Bruins higher on Beaulieu than the Avs, the Stars, the Wild and the Hurricanes were?

All mock drafts I saw back then all had any one of those five teams (Bruins included; the last mock draft I saw from that year had the Bruins take Beaulieu at #9) taking Beaulieu.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
I'd pick to chat with WS over any of you two 11 times out of 10. He's the BPA (best poster available), anyway.
ouch. that hurts.

Halifaxhab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 07:15 PM
PricePkPatch

Hum... so what about this Nathan Beaulieu guy, eh?

Sure would be more insightful topic of conversation than the current pissing contest.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Halifaxhab

I believe the article directly answers why Beaulieu fell to us. His defensive and physical play were considered suspect last season. But after a great summer in the offseason working with the team trainers, and given more time with the departure of Despres, he was able to take on a primary position on the blueline. And, he responded well. Another year in the AHL and this kid can step in to the NHL as a top 4.

And my guess last year was they were going to pick McNeill but I wasn't too upset by this one after seeing him play last year a few times

Old
03-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Beaulieu WAS the BPA at #17 last year...

Old
03-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post

it was still my guess they were going to pick McNeill. Just like this year we never know until it happens

Old
03-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
I'd pick to chat with WS over any of you two 11 times out of 10. He's the BPA (best poster available), anyway.
Whitesnake isn't always right but he is certainly more knowledgeable than most of us.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 05:38 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Whitesnake isn't always right but he is certainly more knowledgeable than most of us.
Agree.

I can't stand hab fans vs hab fans.

I always like reading Whitesnake's scouting reports...

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 06:35 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ftw View Post
Yup you're like a messiah, or a truth teller. You need to enlighten the rest of us right? Teach the uneducated masses about all of your Habs knowledge!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
You sound kinda condescending and arrogant sometimes.
Well I do believe that prospect knowledge is my strong suit. Even if I have my share of misses as well which I also talk about in due time. But hey, we can't be like by everybody and that's actually not why I write. But there's a way you can do without me....So while I do get some heat for my misses, I believe it's just fine to remember people of the good things as well. And especially in Beaulieu's case where I was SO confidence he'd do well and have some kind of bashing go towards him at some point. I did that with Ellis as well who I was just a big fan of for such a long time, so it's great to see he's doing good.

Now, nobody have reached the NHL yet. So please, come back strong if they don't so you'd be the first to bash me again. And don't worry, I'll be there to answer.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 06:45 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Thanks to all for your good words. And Teufelsdreck is ABSOLUTELY right. I am not always right, far from it. And things changes quite dramatically. I was a big fan of a goalie who didn't play a lot one day. Named him one of the steal of his draft. So I looked pretty good when Steve Mason was named rookie of the year....Right now...it is going downhill for my "steal of the draft"....And others like that, like the great Anton Gustafsson, the Caps pick who is actually contemplated retirement but now is playing in a Swiss freakin league with 6 points in 26 games etc. etc. etc. Pick I loved 'cause I got blinded by my constant loving of the big great centerman we need.

So no. Clearly not always right. Not sure that I'm hiding from it though. Kept mentioning some of my bad predictions I had. Which I think entitles to me to point out the good ones I made as well. And frankly, there's so much posters bashing in this board, that I actually like to know which posters predicted what and if they were right about something, I'd be congratulating them just like most of the rest of us.

And by the way, not MORE knowledgeable. I'd say a little more passionnate about that trait of the game which makes me see, live, on TV or read about it more than most of the people. Which at one point, created the knowledge I have for those prospects. Yet, thank god we have Montreal and Markov79fan and Habsprospects and a couple of others who enlighten us just as well.

Which makes me really hard to understand people bashing the guys who are trying to give them infos they won't have anywhere else based on the inability of the "journalists" to give us such info. But hey, I guess you can't please everybody.

Old
03-10-2012, 06:55 AM
shutehinside

At the draft I was thinking we'd end up with Olyksiak, but was praying NB would so how fall to us, or we'd trade down to get him like we did with Tinordi.

As the draft went on, and NB was still available, I was shocked and amazed. A lot of guys who were ranked below him, both forwards and defensman, we're being picked up ahead of him. When he was still available at 17 and we called his name, I could not have been happier.

Time will tell if he'll pan out or not but as of now, I truly believe we have one of the best players in that draft and teams will be pissed they let him pass by. Maybe it's just me but he feels like that Parise, Carter, Richards type player that everyone likes but they go for another player and people like us bash management years after the fact for not having drafted him.

Good luck to NB and I hope we see him soon dominating in aHabs uni. Having him, Subban and possibility Markov on D would be really scary to face for a lot of teams!

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 07:31 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
That isn't a very good comparison as Yandle is ridiculously soft and avoids contact at all costs.......basically a younger Kaberle.

I personally think Mike Green is a better comparison with Beaulieu.
I watched Mike Green extensively in juniors and he was like a general out there. He saw the whole ice his hockey vision was off the map. I was surprised when NB was referrred to as a general out there. He seems bigger than Green and maybe more defensively responsible. A defensively responsible Green would be amazing.
Subban Emelin Gorges NB Tinordi Dietz could look pretty good. Hehe Im pumping Deitz. He may be a player.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 07:34 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
He is a treasure on here.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 07:55 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
I think he's the classic case of the guy who is high on plenty of team's lists... but there's always THAT other guy that they prefer a little more and pick before him... and he ends up falling because of this.
Gormley was the same 2 years ago and there are a few teams kicking themselves for not taking him.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 07:58 AM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Gormley was the same 2 years ago and there are a few teams kicking themselves for not taking him.
Ellis has been showing himself on the same level in junior as Gormley. I am sure a few teams are kicking themselves on Ellis too. A Gorges type with a little more size, a better 1st pass and shot.

Old
03-10-2012, 08:13 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
Ellis has been showing himself on the same level in junior as Gormley. I am sure a few teams are kicking themselves on Ellis too. A Gorges type with a little more size, a better 1st pass and shot.
Pretty interesting year this year. I wouldn't go as far as to say that Ellis has been identical to Gormley, but let say that the gap isn't as great as their rankings indicate. Which is the same thing with the Dietz-Siemens comparison. I tell you, Timmins again, proving that he's great in the upper rounds and especially 2010 and 2011 with Ellis and Dietz.

Old
03-10-2012, 08:39 AM
FrankMTL

Don't worry WS, we know how valuable you are to these boards, we got your back!

Back to Beaulieu though, I remember most mock drafts thought there was no chance that he would slip to 17...It was actually one of the first times that I remember that pretty much all Habs fans were happy with that pick.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 08:40 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
At the draft I was thinking we'd end up with Olyksiak, but was praying NB would so how fall to us, or we'd trade up to get him like we did with Tinordi.

As the draft went on, and NB was still available, I was shocked and amazed. A lot of guys who were ranked below him, both forwards and defensman, we're being picked up ahead of him. When he was still available at 17 and we called his name, I could not have been happier.

Time will tell if he'll pan out or not but as of now, I truly believe we have one of the best players in that draft and teams will be pissed they let him pass by. Maybe it's just me but he feels like that Parise, Carter, Richards type player that everyone likes but they go for another player and people like us bash management years after the fact for not having drafted him.

Good luck to NB and I hope we see him soon dominating in aHabs uni. Having him, Subban and possibility Markov on D would be really scary to face for a lot of teams!
Fixed for you.

Old
03-10-2012, 08:52 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Fixed for you.
Ahhh bueno!

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 09:11 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Will he make it to the show, before Tinordi?

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Miller Time

with Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis, Bennet and Dietz all having very strong years, it give us lots of reason for optimism that we can expect some internal reinforcements on defense in the next 3-5 seasons.

add that to Subban, Emelin, Diaz & Weber already in the NHL, and we should have some serious defensive depth in the near future (assuming we don't start trading them away unnecessarily).

Having a stream of quality, even if not elite, defensive prospects is a very good thing, thank you Mr.Timmins

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:16 AM
couris

the bromance in this thread is off the charts

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:24 AM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Pretty interesting year this year. I wouldn't go as far as to say that Ellis has been identical to Gormley, but let say that the gap isn't as great as their rankings indicate. Which is the same thing with the Dietz-Siemens comparison. I tell you, Timmins again, proving that he's great in the upper rounds and especially 2010 and 2011 with Ellis and Dietz.
I didn't say identical, I was referring to the same level as in top end two-way dman in the Q. The trade to Shawinigan for Ellis has been a massive blessing for his devellopment. I watched him alot with the Eagles and you can see he was trying to do too much simply because the team suxd. In SHA, he can focus on his own game and not worry about the rest of the team as they are all very good as well. He's also being used in all situations but with higher quality players.

His confidence is up, he is learning a complete game, and a year in the pros, this kid is definately a late round steal.