HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Helmet cage help!

Old
03-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Robs789

vCash: 500
Helmet cage help!

Ive been using a jofa senior cage on my mission helmet for over a year and last week took a hit and realized that the cage is to big.

The chin piece does not fit properly, and my chin comes up against the top of it. So instead of my chin coming properly into the piece when taking a hit, my chin instead hits the top of it and is actually doing more worse than good.

Should i try to fit a different senior cage on it or do i need to go to a smaller size?

Robs789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 03:57 PM
dwreckm

Are there no adjustable straps in the helmet? My chin piece didn't fit right on my CCM helmet, but it had some straps I could tweak to make it fit right.

dwreckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 04:24 PM
AIREAYE

The ideal fitting cage would be, like you implied, one that has your chin securely in the middle of the cup so if you cannot make an adjustment to your current cage enough so that it won't ever slide back down, then I'd consider a new cage. Keep in mind that a cage is not necessarily sized with the helmet, but instead, to the face. Try sliding a few on and seeing which fits.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:34 PM
bp spec

vCash: 50
On my team everyone wear their cages differently. Most of the guys have their chin in the middle of the cup. One guy is terrified of getting hurt so his cage is so tight that he can't talk properly, haha. A few guys, including me, don't like the feeling of the cup and have it about 1-1,5 inches away from your chin. It's not very smart so I recommend the first alternative. I think that some cages also fit better if you have a smaller size. A large helmet with a medium cage for an example. But that's more common when you don't use a bucket and a cage from the same brand.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:38 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
another thing you could try before buying a new cage is try flipping the 2 top clips over. it'll shorten the top to bottom size of the cage just a bit. worked for me when i had my rbk 6k with 5k mask.

thedonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:04 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
another thing you could try before buying a new cage is try flipping the 2 top clips over. it'll shorten the top to bottom size of the cage just a bit. worked for me when i had my rbk 6k with 5k mask.
Yes, that's a good idea too. Some cages are meant to be tabs-down (Itech and its current Bauer equivalents) while most are tabs-up.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Robs789

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
Great idea im gonna try this out!

Robs789 is offline   Reply With Quote