HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Crosby's Return..

Old
03-09-2012, 04:19 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

vCash: 500
Crosby's Return..

I was wondering what everyone thinks when sid the kid returns will he be given more space and not touched alot or if someone get him with his head down are they going to make the big hit.Would someone want to be known as the guy that ended Crosby's career cause one big hit he could be done..

Last edited by BleedOrange: 03-09-2012 at 04:25 PM.
BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 04:27 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Nah, leave him alone. I hate that he dominates us but he's still an incredible player.

Everyone deserves to play the game.

OriginJM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 04:43 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
I would just play him the way you normally would. Targeting the head is taboo now anyway, but targeting Crosby's head could get a permaban.

03-09-2012, 04:48 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Yea, no one wants to be a Steckel.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 05:44 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Play him as you regularly would. If you go targeting heads, we know it's more than just his career now.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 05:45 PM
BernieParent

Announcer: "... and the Penguins go back to regroup in their own zone. And here comes Crosby over the boards again. He's looking strong in his first game back since his concussion against Boston on December 5. Martin looks up ice and passes to Neal. He sees Crosby streaking up ice and fires a hard pass up to him. Crosby reaches for the puck as he hits the Flyers zone. Rinaldo moves to intercept Crosby ..."

Bettman to sniper: "Steady ... steady ..."

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Lesky
Le Magnifique #66

Crosby was on pace for 60 goals and 140 points before Steckels hit.

Most be pretty devastating to know his career is ruined and will likely end soon.

Lesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 05:58 PM
achdumeingute

IMO crosby has to play more like Lindros was forced to. Has to be safe, no head down, ect.

He still has excellent game vision to use to play out his career if he avoids the physical a little more.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesky View Post
Crosby was on pace for 60 goals and 140 points before Steckels hit.

Most be pretty devastating to know his career is ruined and will likely end soon.
How can you possibly have made that conclusion.

to the OP, if you can lay a big hit on Crosby, then you do it. You can't give players special treatment in the league, regardless of who they are.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:07 PM
MsWoof

I don't know how they're going to play him but I think the game is so fast, a lot of times there is no time to react to who you're hitting. Once he's played a few games, assuming he does, teams will treat him like any other player.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Kaktus*

He will get hit and he will be concussed.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
IMO crosby has to play more like Lindros was forced to. Has to be safe, no head down, ect.

He still has excellent game vision to use to play out his career if he avoids the physical a little more.
Thats what I figure as well, once Lindros had his 'Stevens' concussion, part of the reason his ability as a player suffered was he had to change the way he played, and because of that went from a 1.4 ppg player (110-120 points a season if healthy all year, which he never was!) to a 0.7 ppg player...

Anyone who saw Lindros play that year in Toronto, or followed him in NY, he still had it, not like before, but would have still been a ppg player if it was not for him having to adjust, ie play a different position, not be as physical. Some of those games in toronto when Sundin was down and he was top line again were brilliant to watch... the games against Montreal that year, and maybe one against Boston, he looked dominant at times.

Personally I don't think Crosby's game will be as affected as much as Lindros's was, as a big part of why Lindros was so dominant was his physicality, after the Stevens hit you saw him skate like he was going to destroy someone on the forecheck, but think better of it for his own self preservation.

But Crosby will be affected, but not as severly as Lindros was... I think he will go from a 1.4 ppg guy to a 1.1-1.2 ppg guy, ie, still elite.

What scares me is how similar Lindros and Crosbys careers were in terms of PPG up until their first big concussions (Lindros's being Kasparitis)

Eric Lindros 431 290 369 600 1.392 (end of 98-99)
Sidney Crosby 420 217 367 584 1.390

That is flat out eerie. Careers literally identical until concussions. Hope Crosbys is is less affected long term than Lindros. Would be sad to see the last two 'generational' players careers subside identically.

Last edited by Appleyard: 03-10-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Scott Stevens Announces He's Decided to Return To NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
I was wondering what everyone thinks when sid the kid returns will he be given more space and not touched alot or if someone get him with his head down are they going to make the big hit.Would someone want to be known as the guy that ended Crosby's career cause one big hit he could be done..

Remember Game Seven of the 2000 (IIRC) ECF the Devils completed their comeback from being down three games to one at Philly? Lindros came back from a serious concussion and PCS Effects the prior game and was the Flyers best player in a close loss... Given the chance to lure #88 into a heads down skating situation and orchestrating with his Defense-mate a perfect set up, Scott Sevens skated across the ice and arguably targeted Eric's head... thus removing him from the game and going a long way in allowing the Devils to on to the Finals, and causing Lindros (along with his hold-out) to not play the next season.

So... I'd say that given an important situation and a known head hunter who has not shied away from such hits... and has been able to it in a legal manner -- think Kronwall against Voracek this past Tuesday... or Scott Stevens, Hatcher, Pronger, etc. in prior NHL seasons -- he will take the opportunity and not worry about anything but what is gained... like Stevens and the Devils advancing.

Now, it may be argued that the NHL now is attempting to remove all dangerous head-shots... but I again point to Kronwall's hit Tuesday and in Detroit against Briere who had just recently come off IR from a concussion... or the boarding of Briere a few games earlier where his head was driven against the boards directly, without any call whatsoever.

The only real argument I could see is that this is Crosby and not Briere... or Voracek... or another Flyers player, for that matter (paranoid? Well, I suppose so haha) or even the great NHL player, Lindros a dozen years ago.

I am in no way condoning such a hit... I'm just sayin'.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 03-09-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:41 PM
Kaktus*

If he was leveled like Lindros was by Kasparaitis. Sid probably would not play hockey for 3-4 years.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 07:03 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Sid won't have to change his game because he doesn't play like Lindros did.

JDinkalage Morgoone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I hope he doesn't get hurt. I think they need to treat him like everybody else. You can't try not to hit him. But I would like Sidney to play several seasons injury free just to see how good he can be. These last two seasons he was on a serious scoring pace (granted, small sample size of games), but I do respect him as a player because he doesn't take a night off and works on all areas of his game.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 07:27 PM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

I think the guy is a great hockey player and is great for the game. I can't see him playing anything beyond three more years though, if he cares how the last 40 years of his life are going to be.

MRxBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 07:53 PM
Flyerfan4life

i predict he will get lined up and reinjured within 5 games..

and it will prolly be from what should be a legal hit, but because Crosby is the golden child the offending player will get 5-10 games.

do the Pens and Detroit have any games upcoming ??? i wouldnt put it past Kronwall to try his luck again.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Normand Lacombe

The best thing for Crosby long term, IMO, is he should take a year off. It seems as though he would get concussed if a teammate tapped him on the head after he scores a goal.

Normand Lacombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:10 PM
StandingCow

Don't play him against the wings if Kronwall is in, lol.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:26 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
Sid won't have to change his game because he doesn't play like Lindros did.
No, he doesn't play like Lindros (obviously), but for a guy his size (and talent level), Crosby certainly doesn't shy away from the gritty aspects of the game, or at least he didn't in seasons past. He'll put his nose in scrums in front of the net to try to get those scrappy goals, and he gets involved in those scrums along the boards as well.

We'll see how much these injuries effect some of the things he used to do, which complimented his game.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:29 PM
Gert B Frobe

The last couple hits that put him out this season weren't all that hard. I guess that's what has everybody thinking that his head is no good anymore. I would have to agree. He is going to get bodied hard particularly in the playoffs and nobody is going let up on him at that point. Half the time these guys aren't exactly sure who it is they are hitting - just an opponent.

Even though I hate his face and think he's an absolute dick just like super Mario and I hate how the refs call Pens games (not just against the Flyers) - I hope he is healthy and plays a full career.

I just can't see how he will make it through any more than 7 playoff games.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:41 PM
StandingCow

One more concussion and he is done for. Hope that doesn't happen though.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Crossbar Ping

I know for a fact fellow WSH players (such as OV and Green) thought Steckel's hit was intended, and they agree he is a little pos.

Crossbar Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:19 PM
Damaged Goods

I'm more than a bit jealous that the Penguins are getting healthy right now. If the Flyers had everyone back:

Hartnell - Giroux - Jagr
JVR - Schenn - Briere
Simmonds - Talbot - Voracek
Read - Couturier - Wellwood
Rinaldo/Sestito

Pronger - Carle
Coburn - Timonen
Meszaros - Grossman
Kubina

Bryzgalov
Bobrovsky

Stacked defense, reinvigorated Bryz and more forwards than you know what to do with... sigh.

At least if everyone but Pronger makes it back for the playoffs, that roster still looks very nice on paper.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote