HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Johansen

Old
03-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Ontario Buckeye

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
...but Aaron Johnson? That's my biggest gripe, playing a bad defenseman ahead of Johansen at wing just doesn't go down right, with me. Play Russell, Boyce, Bass, or any number of other wingers in the system...but AJ? Nope, can't buy it. For me, that disqualifies Richards as coach. Others, including the coach, must see something that I'm missing.
It is a very common practice, especially in the AHL and lower leagues. Perhaps an example of inexperience on Richards behalf? Could also just be whats easy (i.e. AJ is trying hard and is ready to go)

Ontario Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:55 AM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
...but Aaron Johnson? That's my biggest gripe, playing a bad defenseman ahead of Johansen at wing just doesn't go down right, with me. Play Russell, Boyce, Bass, or any number of other wingers in the system...but AJ? Nope, can't buy it. For me, that disqualifies Richards as coach. Others, including the coach, must see something that I'm missing.
Look at what AJ can do at wing but Johansen is struggling at. Richards isn't looking for Johansen to create offensive changes but to play more of a shut-down role and win offensive battles along the boards.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 02:01 PM
orthosrgn2

Quote:
Maybe Richards was making sure he had enough depth on D. Should a d-man be less than 100% then Richards had the option of switching AJ to defense and still have a full complement of players. Just trying to rationalize.....

orthosrgn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 02:22 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
Look at what AJ can do at wing but Johansen is struggling at.
I know. I am in awe every time I see Johnson at wing. I can see why we play him there a handful of times a year.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:05 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Anyone else think that Johansen's constant scratches are not just from Richards? Porty reported at the start that they wanted to treat him like Seguin last year. Maybe Howson and the coaching staff had an understanding that no matter what happens they will go ahead as scheduled with the plan?

CBJBrassard16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 03:18 AM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Doubt it, right before his recent scratches he really wasn't competing at all. He was slow on the ice and oddly sometimes it would seem like he was skating at about 1/10 the speed of everyone else. He definitely doesn't have a "high motor" right now.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 03:54 AM
Duodenum

Some of you guys should really relax. Letting prospects watch from the press box is a great learning experience for them. A lot of star players do nothing but play and watch very few professional games growing up, especially when they're from small town Canada. To watch a game live from above really allow star players who can't get by with their skills alone anymore to study NHL quality play, especially defensively where a lot of rookies struggle. Many rookies ride the pine their inaugural years and turn out to be great players. Ryan Kesler was given the same treatment his first year as was Cody Hodgson and Tyler Seguin last year. The speed of the NHL is too much for some prospects to play their way through and they need time to study the game first.

Duodenum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 07:54 AM
bizzz*

People should compare Mayorov's performance to RyJo's in LA game. They played on the same line. Max played 1 minute less and had 2 scoring chances, an assist and tried to be useful for every second of his 8 minutes ice-time. That's how you EARN an ice-time without whining on the boards.

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 08:05 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol View Post
People should compare Mayorov's performance to RyJo's in LA game. They played on the same line. Max played 1 minute less and had 2 scoring chances, an assist and tried to be useful for every second of his 8 minutes ice-time. That's how you EARN an ice-time without whining on the boards.
Point taken but let's be clear - Johansen is not on here himself "whining" for ice time.

Old
03-10-2012, 08:19 AM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Point taken but let's be clear - Johansen is not on here himself "whining" for ice time.
Yeah, again wrong wording on my part. I think you guys understand what I mean.

Old
03-10-2012, 11:36 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
I took that to be just a simple misspelling. I thought bizoncol meant winning on the boards, ie. winning board battles.

Please excuse me if I was mistaken.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Anyone else think that Johansen's constant scratches are not just from Richards? Porty reported at the start that they wanted to treat him like Seguin last year. Maybe Howson and the coaching staff had an understanding that no matter what happens they will go ahead as scheduled with the plan?
Yeah but a few things.

First, Seguin wasn't scratched 7-8 games in a row. He'd go 2 games in, 1 game off or so.

Second, Johansen looks gassed even playing just 8 minutes. He looks out of shape.

Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 03:39 PM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Yeah but a few things.
First, Seguin wasn't scratched 7-8 games in a row. He'd go 2 games in, 1 game off or so.
Second, Johansen looks gassed even playing just 8 minutes. He looks out of shape.
RyJo obviously looked better at the beginning of the year... And he played more.
This all would make perfect sense if the plan was to spent the year working on his physical conditions. Or maybe they have changed the plan when the team was losing one game after another and started to prepare RyJo for the next season working on his physical shape more than getting him ready for the games.
Possibly he looks out of shape because he spends in the fitness center a lot of time. When you work hard in the gym you don't have enough energy for the games, moreso playing big minutes could be harmful for the young growing organism in that case.
Hopefully the team will give some explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
I took that to be just a simple misspelling. I thought bizoncol meant winning on the boards, ie. winning board battles.
Please excuse me if I was mistaken.
As Bryzgalov recently said: "Stop worrying about me, guys. Seriously" . Even I can't recall what exactly I meant when was typing that sentence

Old
03-10-2012, 05:10 PM
JacketsFanWest

Could the Jackets get away with assigning Johansen to the AHL for a conditioning stint? The Kings did that last season with Brayden Schenn who wasn't eligible for the AHL but it for "conditioning" since he had a minor knee injury.

The Jackets are thin at center and hit with injuries. They need bodies. But the Falcons are fighting for a playoff spot. It wouldn't be bad to have Johansen there helping and playing 20 minutes a night.

I doubt the AHL/CHL wants that loophole to be abused.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 08:15 PM
wings5

Bump, nice article on Ryan, seems to have a positive attitude about playing in the AHL.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...justments.html

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 10:15 PM
Byrral

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Bump, nice article on Ryan, seems to have a positive attitude about playing in the AHL.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...justments.html
He sounds like a nice kid, maybe too nice. But this lockout is a good thing for him. I would have preferred that they had sent him back to Portland last year (voiced that during the preseason) and had him start this year in Springfield. I think last year was a wasted season for him. They should have never kept him up if they were going to play him on the wing. He's developing nicely in the AHL now. I hope for good things from him in the near future.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:39 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrral View Post
He sounds like a nice kid, maybe too nice. But this lockout is a good thing for him. I would have preferred that they had sent him back to Portland last year (voiced that during the preseason) and had him start this year in Springfield. I think last year was a wasted season for him. They should have never kept him up if they were going to play him on the wing. He's developing nicely in the AHL now. I hope for good things from him in the near future.
I think another year in Portland would also have been a waste.

He wouldn't have learned anything new down there and would have potentially fostered poor habits like taking shifts off and being able to just dominate other players without a concern for defense. In the NHL he learned that nothing is going to be given to him on a silver plate. He learned what a professional atmosphere is like and how much further he has to go before he becomes a top-6 NHL forward.

While getting 12 minutes a night as a 4th line winger isn't ideal, it's better than sending him back to Kindergarten when he has a 3rd grade reading level.

Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 05:14 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:

He wouldn't have learned anything new down there and would have potentially fostered poor habits like taking shifts off and being able to just dominate other players without a concern for defense. In the NHL he learned that nothing is going to be given to him on a silver plate. He learned what a professional atmosphere is like and how much further he has to go before he becomes a top-6 NHL forward.

While getting 12 minutes a night as a 4th line winger isn't ideal, it's better than sending him back to Kindergarten when he has a 3rd grade reading level.
I agree.

Now he knows how hard it is at big show, how much he still has to work. I think that's why he's more motivated this year and knows what to do instead of playing another year at minors and thinking '**** this ****'. You can see it from some other players in AHL right now.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 03:44 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:

It can work both ways. A year in an NHL press box helped Tyler Seguin immensely, but that was with a successful team that was full of leaders and winners. An example of the opposite would be Alex Pietrangelo, who, in spite of being thought of as ready to play in the NHL, spent an extra year in junior. He dominated the competition, but did it hamper his development at all?

I think it's a moot argument, as each player is different. The key is that, at some point, every player has to go through some sort of growing pains and learn to be a professional. This is where a guy like Steve Mason never matured - perhaps he was thrust into too important a role too soon. Learning the way of NHL life and being a professional/adult is as important as learning all of the systems and adjusting to the speed of the game.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 09:12 PM
Byrral

Quote:

This was the opposition to my view last year as well.

I could counter with what did he learn last year that will help his development at center? Nothing. He also learned a lot of bad habits playing wing on a crappy/disfunctional team and that included taking shifts off at the pro level.

Learning to be a pro should happen at the AHL level unless you're an elite talent or on an elite team that can afford that luxury. That's not the CBJ and Johansen is not an elite talent. Reality is that he was a Kindergartener trying to compete with the third graders when he obviously wasn't anywhere near ready.

But this is water under the bridge. The season in Columbus last year didn't hurt him but I don't think it helped him either. Playing in Portland might not have helped him but it wouldn't have hurt him either.

Either way I'm glad to see him developing in Springfield because that's where he belongs right now. And he scored another goal tonight as well.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:21 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrral View Post
This was the opposition to my view last year as well.

I could counter with what did he learn last year that will help his development at center? Nothing. He also learned a lot of bad habits playing wing on a crappy/disfunctional team and that included taking shifts off at the pro level.

Learning to be a pro should happen at the AHL level unless you're an elite talent or on an elite team that can afford that luxury. That's not the CBJ and Johansen is not an elite talent. Reality is that he was a Kindergartener trying to compete with the third graders when he obviously wasn't anywhere near ready.

But this is water under the bridge. The season in Columbus last year didn't hurt him but I don't think it helped him either. Playing in Portland might not have helped him but it wouldn't have hurt him either.

Either way I'm glad to see him developing in Springfield because that's where he belongs right now. And he scored another goal tonight as well.
In your first two paragraphs, replace "Ryan Johansen" with "Joe Thornton". 55 games, 3 goals, 4 assists (7 points) in his rookie year, and he turned out fine.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 12:37 AM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Devils fan, stopping by 'cause I was at Springfield tonight. Johansen looks REALLY good. There are two Devils players who have, consistently this season, looked the part of NHLers playing in a league that's clearly below them in Adam Larsson and Jacob Josefson, and Johansen was easily in their league, probably (likely) above it in the case of Josefson. He's smart, skilled, uses his size really well, and aware in all 3 zones. He's gonna be a really valuable player when the lockout ends.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:59 AM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
Devils fan, stopping by 'cause I was at Springfield tonight. Johansen looks REALLY good. There are two Devils players who have, consistently this season, looked the part of NHLers playing in a league that's clearly below them in Adam Larsson and Jacob Josefson, and Johansen was easily in their league, probably (likely) above it in the case of Josefson. He's smart, skilled, uses his size really well, and aware in all 3 zones. He's gonna be a really valuable player when the lockout ends.
Thanks for stopping by with your comments, Larrson is a stud, you guys stole him from us by winning the lottery after we passed the Devils on the last day of the season

Jovavic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:12 PM
jacketsinDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
In your first two paragraphs, replace "Ryan Johansen" with "Joe Thornton". 55 games, 3 goals, 4 assists (7 points) in his rookie year, and he turned out fine.
johansen was a bust in my nhl13 dynasty. 77 overall and being used as a 4th line forward. glad I traded him while he had value still.

jacketsinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:30 AM
EHCler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
It can work both ways. A year in an NHL press box helped Tyler Seguin immensely, but that was with a successful team that was full of leaders and winners. An example of the opposite would be Alex Pietrangelo, who, in spite of being thought of as ready to play in the NHL, spent an extra year in junior. He dominated the competition, but did it hamper his development at all?

I think it's a moot argument, as each player is different. The key is that, at some point, every player has to go through some sort of growing pains and learn to be a professional. This is where a guy like Steve Mason never matured - perhaps he was thrust into too important a role too soon. Learning the way of NHL life and being a professional/adult is as important as learning all of the systems and adjusting to the speed of the game.
Well the question is did Ryan tackle the factors that are missing from his game. He had a tough year in a terrible team and he needs to learn from that. He does need to build up confidence again but he will be a fine. Ryan is so sure not the savior of this franchise.

I am more worried if rookies ride a wave of a team and thin they are better than they are. No wonder sophomore slumps are so popular.

EHCler is offline   Reply With Quote