HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Crosby's Return..

Old
03-10-2012, 01:03 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
I'm more than a bit jealous that the Penguins are getting healthy right now. If the Flyers had everyone back:

Hartnell - Giroux - Jagr
JVR - Schenn - Briere
Simmonds - Talbot - Voracek
Read - Couturier - Wellwood
Rinaldo/Sestito

Pronger - Carle
Coburn - Timonen
Meszaros - Grossman
Kubina

Bryzgalov
Bobrovsky

Stacked defense, reinvigorated Bryz and more forwards than you know what to do with... sigh.

At least if everyone but Pronger makes it back for the playoffs, that roster still looks very nice on paper.
Aren't you forgetting a very important forward... already on roster and in tip-top shape?

... You inadvertantly omitted Jody Shelley.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:22 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
I still remember Crosby checking Hartnell and Hartnell got a penalty. I was amazed with that call and I watched the reply and couldn't find out what happened. Unless I was completely drunk and had my Flyer goggles on I can't remember. Was a couple seasons ago.

On topic though, Crosby will be protected by the league on high hits and should be. I may hate his guts and think he is a top notch whiner, but he is a great player and the league is better with him in it.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 03:40 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Pfff, I coulda done it.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 07:24 AM
bungle
Casual Observer

As much as I hate the Pens, the league is better with a healthy Crosby playing in it. I don't know how players feel about making big hits on recently concussed guys, but my guess is that the majority would think twice.

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 08:48 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Agreed with many above - I think Crosby's career is pretty much over.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
I'm more than a bit jealous that the Penguins are getting healthy right now. If the Flyers had everyone back:

Hartnell - Giroux - Jagr
JVR - Schenn - Briere
Simmonds - Talbot - Voracek
Read - Couturier - Wellwood
Rinaldo/Sestito

Pronger - Carle
Coburn - Timonen
Meszaros - Grossman
Kubina

Bryzgalov
Bobrovsky

Stacked defense, reinvigorated Bryz and more forwards than you know what to do with... sigh.

At least if everyone but Pronger makes it back for the playoffs, that roster still looks very nice on paper.
We havenīt enough Cap Space to take Pronger back from IR in my Book. So we must play the playoffs without him. But i really doubt he will come back this year and also next year. GrossmanN and Kubina are acquired because of this fact.

Crosby should sit down the whole time till the preseason next year. He needs a lot of work and better protection for his head (better helmet?). If he comes back now he will be injured before the playoffs!! And that would end his career directly!

I donīt want him quit, but i also donīt want to start playing soft on him, because i love this sport. And this sport without hitting isnīt real!!

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Tim Tebow

They have 15 more games and 9 games are against the Flyers, Bruins, Rangers, and Devils and pending a shift in the standings the Penguins cup run may literally have to go Flyers, Bruins, Rangers.

Of course the playoff thing can change but he certainly is going to be taking some hits, better be sure he is ready for it.

Tim Tebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:44 AM
BernieParent

When Crosby comes back, we'd be naive to think that he wouldn't get a little extra protection from the officiating. But I anticipate that it will be mediated by how Crosby plays, too. Remember the elbow he threw in his previous return, and getting called out for hypocrisy by the media? If Crosby insists on mixing it up, the calls will eventually be a little less protective. Not completely, mind you, but not as frequent.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:47 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
When Crosby comes back, we'd be naive to think that he wouldn't get a little extra protection from the officiating. But I anticipate that it will be mediated by how Crosby plays, too. Remember the elbow he threw in his previous return, and getting called out for hypocrisy by the media? If Crosby insists on mixing it up, the calls will eventually be a little less protective. Not completely, mind you, but not as frequent.
Yeah, he acted sooooo innocent! He's been ruled out for tomorrow's game.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Tim Tebow

Quote:
I don't think he will play any different. Star players each have a game and it's rare to ever see them change it because of an injury or suspension.

Nor do I think the refs will change ether. Malkin has been taking far more cheap shots then Sid has over his career and he still gets his protection. As have and do many other stars.

Crosby is just like Forsberg in a way. Dirty as hell, protected by the league, never changed his style despite constantly being told he plays to physical for a man of his size.

Tim Tebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:07 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

2 reasons why I want Crosby to come back:

1) He's great for the game, a great talent, and I wish him the best. No one's career deserves to be cut short like this.
2) I'm praying that if he comes back, Malkin will take a backseat and give G a shot at the Art Ross lol.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:18 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmanrulez View Post
We havenīt enough Cap Space to take Pronger back from IR in my Book. So we must play the playoffs without him. But i really doubt he will come back this year and also next year. GrossmanN and Kubina are acquired because of this fact.

Crosby should sit down the whole time till the preseason next year. He needs a lot of work and better protection for his head (better helmet?). If he comes back now he will be injured before the playoffs!! And that would end his career directly!

I donīt want him quit, but i also donīt want to start playing soft on him, because i love this sport. And this sport without hitting isnīt real!!
FWIW (Not that I believe he can/will return for the postseason): There is not a Cap in the NHL Postseason... so, theoretically, I believe the Flyers could take Pronger off IR and add him to the roster without the concern of a Cap Violation... That is of course unless there is an NHL CBA rule I'm unaware of stating that a player cannot come off LTIR/IR at the end of the Regular after being on it for X amount of time.

That said, Homer has already announced up front, when Pronger's situation was revealed, that he would not play again this Regular Season, nor this Postseason... I believe the poster you quoted was listing a wish roster and pointing out a what if situation.

Old
03-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
FWIW (Not that I believe he can/will return for the postseason): There is not a Cap in the NHL Postseason... so, theoretically, I believe the Flyers could take Pronger off IR and add him to the roster without the concern of a Cap Violation... That is of course unless there is an NHL CBA rule I'm unaware of stating that a player cannot come off LTIR/IR at the end of the Regular after being on it for X amount of time.

That said, Homer has already announced up front, when Pronger's situation was revealed, that he would not play again this Regular Season, nor this Postseason... I believe the poster you quoted was listing a wish roster and pointing out a what if situation.
LOL imagine what if Homer planed this exact scenario. Pronger going out of the lineup and coming back after we acquired some more blueliners^^ But i canīt believe that is legal, because every GM have tried it in the past? I donīt have the time to read the CBA so pls help us two on this one

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:15 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
I don't think he will play any different. Star players each have a game and it's rare to ever see them change it because of an injury or suspension.

Nor do I think the refs will change ether. Malkin has been taking far more cheap shots then Sid has over his career and he still gets his protection. As have and do many other stars.

Crosby is just like Forsberg in a way. Dirty as hell, protected by the league, never changed his style despite constantly being told he plays to physical for a man of his size.
The one change in Crosby's game I would anticipate is staying out of scrums, which ironically would be on the low end of danger for reinjuring himself. If he overthinks the potential for contact while at full speed with the puck, he becomes a much less valuable player.

And it's not a question of whether Crosby gets ref protection, which (biased as we are) most here think he does: it's whether he gets added protection due to his reduced stamina.

Old
03-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Saku11

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
I still remember Crosby checking Hartnell and Hartnell got a penalty. I was amazed with that call and I watched the reply and couldn't find out what happened. Unless I was completely drunk and had my Flyer goggles on I can't remember. Was a couple seasons ago.
Hartnell hits him in the head with his hand when they fall down,but yes its a ticky tacky call.
7:03

Saku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 03:21 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
The one change in Crosby's game I would anticipate is staying out of scrums, which ironically would be on the low end of danger for reinjuring himself. If he overthinks the potential for contact while at full speed with the puck, he becomes a much less valuable player.

And it's not a question of whether Crosby gets ref protection, which (biased as we are) most here think he does: it's whether he gets added protection due to his reduced stamina.
Thing is, as I see it, that concussive events are not always a blow to the head... nor even a blow to the jaw... and subsequent concussive occurrences happen on lesser contact or multiple lesser hits like the last Crosby game... Keith Primeau's last hit was nowhere near as bad as so many prior game hits, but it was the 'final straw'. My point is that sadly with a player that has been out with sever PCS effects such as Primeau, Pronger, Crosby and countless others, none can tell what and how and/or when the next bad/final one happen... Can any amount of revising of how they play the game prevent the next one?... Not to mention the accidental and unavoidable events such as Prongers being hit in the face with a stick or Giroux being kneed by Simmonds or players being hit by an errant slap shot or a player being sandwiched by two players not even targeting him... not to mention things like when JR IIRC blind-sided his teammate or Lindros clocked Paul Coffey.

Staying out of scrums would be a great idea, but it is the unavoidable things that a hockey player has to do that cannot be taken out of his game... and when you talk about an all out scrapper like Crosby..............

Old
03-10-2012, 03:51 PM
JABEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmanrulez View Post

I don't think there is a cap in the playoffs and Pronger would be eligible.

JABEE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 04:04 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I don't think people will go easier or harder on him (or at least they shouldn't). If he's skating with his head down, you hit him like anyone else. If he's in the corner's and not in a boarding-type position, hit him like anyone else. I'm all for hard hitting (especially on Crosby), but not one should be doing anything illegal out there. Nor should they be letting up on anyone.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 04:05 PM
kammy

if we have to play the pens int he 1st round.. it will be sweet revenge if we toss them out, crosby or no crosby

kammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 05:22 PM
bp spec

vCash: 50
I don't like him at all. And then I express myself nicely. He whines a lot and all that nonsense, but behind all of it he's a great player and it's bad for the game when such players can't play. I'm not sure how the league could protect him while on the ice. I would cry if everyone who hit him got a penalty for it.
My gut tells me that he's done as a player though. And that's sad, no one deserves that. Well, it would be Matt Cooke then...

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
I would just play him the way you normally would. Targeting the head is taboo now anyway, but targeting Crosby's head could get a permaban.
Yep just play him like anyone else. You get a chance to nail him legal do it. If the shoe was on the other foot he would do it. Me I would not play him until next season.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:14 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Yep just play him like anyone else. You get a chance to nail him legal do it. If the shoe was on the other foot he would do it. Me I would not play him until next season.
It's definitely a high risk, with the higher intensity of the games this time of the season.

Old
03-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Hollywood Couturier

He's back... Just in time for Sunday.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:24 PM
EvilAsh
Lockouts Rule!

Lookin like he'll be on the 3rd line for a bit. Less minutes or protection?? He'll be with Asham.

edit:: Nevermind. He'll be center with Cooke & Kennedy.

EvilAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:38 PM
ORYX

IMO his health and career longevity is more important then a cup run this year. He shouldn't be making another comeback attempt this soon, even if he feels fine. Skip the rest of the year as hard as that is, come into next season strong as can be.

It's not like he has to fear for his spot in the line-up like some guys who rush back do, the guy has a spot, the Pens are surging right now, why put him in this position? I think this will end badly as horrible as that is.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote