HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Tampa @ Washington. 7:00 PM 3/8/2012

Old
03-09-2012, 05:46 PM
MiSe

vCash: 500
It's the very front video on nhl.com. You can't miss it.

MiSe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 05:48 PM
NeilYoung

I don't know it's hard to trust the league on these decisions this is after all the same league that suspended Green for elbowing a player when the replay showed his elbow never made contact with the player and the player himself said it didn't

**** Shanny he's a dumb **** in my opinion he's even less consistent than Campbell was

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 05:54 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Originally Posted by edamer View Post
you don't understand the difference between hitting and headhunting?
we wouldn't criticize the Shanny punishment regime if there were any evidence whatsoever it was WORKING. but it isn't. concussions are up this year, even after the multitude of suspensions accompanied by the Soviet-style video explanations of league justice.

further, the suspensions are wildly inconsistent. check out the michalek hit on hendricks earlier this year which yielded no punishment whatsoever. or check out the measly 5 games to rene bourque who ended backstrom's season on a totally extraneous elbow to the head just weeks after bourque had been suspended for doing the same damn thing.

no one is in favor of head hunting. we are merely pointing out that what the league is doing IS NOT WORKING.

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Koci on Green... 0
Rag elbow on Green.... 0
Knee on knee hit that tore his groin.... 0
Which Rag elbow on Green? Steppan or Staal?

(the answer is that neither elbow to the head got anything)

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:43 PM
edamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
we wouldn't criticize the Shanny punishment regime if there were any evidence whatsoever it was WORKING. but it isn't. concussions are up this year, even after the multitude of suspensions accompanied by the Soviet-style video explanations of league justice.

further, the suspensions are wildly inconsistent. check out the michalek hit on hendricks earlier this year which yielded no punishment whatsoever. or check out the measly 5 games to rene bourque who ended backstrom's season on a totally extraneous elbow to the head just weeks after bourque had been suspended for doing the same damn thing.

no one is in favor of head hunting. we are merely pointing out that what the league is doing IS NOT WORKING.
i was mainly aiming that statement to the guy i was quoting. my point was that there is no doubt at all that the hit in question was a bad hit where mike green clearly targeted a player in no position to absorb the hit. he had other options to close the guy down without crushing his head.

you're right in that there is no evidence showing that "the shanahan regime" is working, and neither that it isn't. an analysis in this case is not simple and needs time. the mere focus on the issue however is positive (as long as it doesn't bring back the red line offside...)

i didn't mean to start a discussion on "the shanahan regime" as a whole, i just wanted to point out how silly i find the guys posting about how "soft" or unfair this specific call was.

edit: i forgot to write that i totally agree that the bourque "hit" is the worst whatever i've seen all season. just cheap and dirty and the guy shouldn't be allowed to play until he realizes what he's done (i don't even think he appologised, or did i miss it?). makes me sick just thinking about it.

Last edited by edamer: 03-09-2012 at 06:49 PM.
edamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Click Here
You know you want to

vCash: 50
being a caps fan at this point.

Click Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Foy

at least this time Green actually did elbow the guy in the head that he got suspended for elbowing in the head.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:26 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Honestly, Dale doesn't know what in the **** he's doing.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...s-fourth-line/

Quote:
At Friday’s practice, Semin was skating on the fourth line along with Mike Knuble, Jeff Halpern and Joel Ward, while Keith Aucoin was on the second line.

03-09-2012, 09:50 PM
maybam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post

Unreal. We are impotent offensively so you demote/scratch one of our top 2 forwards?

If he's back I will be fully on board with firing GMGM. We have only gotten worse since he's been here.

maybam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Atlas

Shanny was outspoken about not wanting to be traded to the Caps in 1996. Poile had a deal going with the Hartford Whalers. Something involving the #4 overall pick (Alexander Volchkov) going to Hartford and Shanny coming to the Caps. Shanny was interviewed during the draft day trade talks I think. He made it clear he disliked Washington.

I'd like to think he'd be objective in his role now but he's been lousy so far. The players have no idea how to play.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Atlas

Brashear also fought Shanny at MSG not long ago, too, right? He survived but is probably still pissed off about that.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:30 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post

I'm floored, I mean Semin has been pretty good in the effort column under Hunter. Makes no sense at all, unless Hunter actually wants to see him try hard AND produce.

Zero points, -2 his last 5. Pretty crappy.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 07:29 AM
marcel snapshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Zero points, -2 his last 5. Pretty crappy.
He has not been productive since the trade deadline. Ever since we all agreed he has been our best forward since Hunter took over, he has not been sharp. Missing the net, weak on the puck, turnover-prone, perimeter-y - all the things his detractors detest about him. Dale's right to send him a message.

Cue the "I told you so" post from the perennial stone-throwers. I hate to rouse the mob, but he hasn't been good lately, and we need him to be. I don't attribute it to "not caring" or "soft Euro" or all the other labels affixed to him. I've always thought his strengths as a player are harder to bring every game than he makes it look -- that he has to be mentally dialed in for his talent to flourish, and if he's not he's not very effective. I think that's what's happened in the past few games - Dale's been good at managing Semin, and hopefully this message gets through to him.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote