HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What happens to our centers next year?

Old
03-09-2012, 11:32 PM
bsl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I think the world of Eller but Plex is proven, DD is a fixture with MaxPac and Grigs is a potential franchise centre man.
Is this what "depth" feels lIke?
I'm laughing at the assumption we draft 2 or 3. Edmonton is tanking intentionally and there is no guarantee they pick a D man, and I could easily see 2-3 more teams falling below us before end of season.

I think we should assume a no. 5 pick, and we'll see if a good center (No. one line guaranteed, that's my standard) is available then. Not so sure.

Grigs will be gone by pick 4 at most, and Gal? Don't know what to think. Damaged goods at age 18.

I'm really pissed with the choices this year, it looks like if we do draft 4-6, we will not get our center.

So be it. Go for Forsberg and wait one more year. I despair at ever finding a no. one center for this team.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:37 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
As I mentioned earlier...as long as Plekanec is on this roster, regardless of his performance, there is only 1 other top 6 center spot available...and that's even debateable considering Desharnais has also firmly established himself in the top 6

So Eller's not going to get much change to 'prove' himself because he's not going to get a chance to play with top 6 wingers, he's not going to get PP time, his PK time will be limited

So eventually, he'll either regress or never get a real shot with the Habs, then he'll get traded to a team that's willing to give him a shot and he'll likely proceed to make us regret trading him like almost every other ex-Hab
Crap. Eller is a long term no. 2 center. I love DD but he is not a no. 1 or 2 center on a cup team. God the standards on this board...

Old
03-09-2012, 11:38 PM
EveryDay

2 UFA player for the 4th line are really interesting this summer

Brandon Prust and Shawn Thornton.
both with 18 fight so far this year!!!

I would give a 6M/3 for Prust or 3M/2 for Shawn

Anyone interested?

EveryDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:00 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco88 View Post
2 UFA player for the 4th line are really interesting this summer

Brandon Prust and Shawn Thornton.
both with 18 fight so far this year!!!

I would give a 6M/3 for Prust or 3M/2 for Shawn

Anyone interested?
Lol, Thornton has bad blood with Emelin. He won't come here. I wouldn't mind giving him a call, but he'd probably say no.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:52 AM
habtastic

Well the chickens have apparently hatched, haven't they?

I fear we will screw this up like we did the Edmonton game.

As for Pleks, DD and Eller, they're all very good. It would be great if Eller could play wing only because the other one can't (DD) and we need Pleks at center. I don't get how people are not high on Eller. He's had a pretty good season considering this team has sucked hard. Plus, he got separated from the one guy who has his level of raw skill (AK). I really believe he's going to be a top15 scorer in the league, along with Maxpac within 2 years.

We can definitely win with the 3 centers we have now. Also, missing Gio and Moen does throw the current lineup out of whack a bit. Rene Bourque is sadly just plain awwwwwwful. Not that I miss Cammy, but he has the greatest quality of most Habs - terrible finish. If only...

Where this hypothetical Grigo or other drafted center would go in his first year...perhaps depends on the coach, a thought that scares me to death when I realize we cannot go out and hire a Randy Carlyle. Where will Bertrand Raymond play Grigorenko? Hmmmmm...

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:19 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

As for "center overload", I believe too many centers is a far more manageable situation than too few. Look at Boston. They have Krejci, Kelly, Peverley, Marchand, Seguin, and Bergeron in their top 9 as players who are natural centers. Their solution? Play some of them on the wings.

Not only that, but having another experienced(although maybe not that great) faceoff guy on the ice in case of being tossed out is always a plus.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Crap. Eller is a long term no. 2 center. I love DD but he is not a no. 1 or 2 center on a cup team. God the standards on this board...
Chemistry. How many times do I have to say "chemistry"?

DD IS a top 6 center on many teams. Yes, he is small, but so is Giroux. Look at Giroux's first full season numbers, and look at DD's first full season numbers and you will see DD has actually outperformed Giroux. Are you telling me Giroux is not a top 6 center capable of being on a #1 line because he is short and small? So, enough with the crap about DD not being a top 6 center. He is our 2nd leading point producer, our leading assist player, and makes the Pacioretty and Cole tandem work. Pacioretty loves playing with him, understands him, knows where he will be, and is doing great with him. So is Cole.

Before trashing the "standards on this board" at least try and understand something as simple and valuable to real life players as "chemistry".

By the way, why the heck would you offer our 1st AND Subban for Huberdeau? What the heck has Huberdeau done at the NHL level? I wouldn't trade Subban for Huberdeau straight up! Our 1st could fall anywhere from #1 to #7 (maybe worse depending upon how we finish and where the lottery drops us), so let's wait and see where that 1st falls before we add it to Subban for some kid who hasn't managed to crack the Panthers line-up just yet.

I know, I know, Quebec wants its "french" super star. Fine. Wait to see where our pick lands and offer the pick plus something not named Subban and see if we can get Huberdeau so the fans can start chanting his name and his head can swell, and the media can destroy his confidence when he doesn't produce 30+ goals in his rookie season forcing us to trade him to a team like Minnesota for a failed #4 overall pick. Wow, our 1st AND Subban for a guy who has a french name and done nothing at the NHL level...sigh... Talk about a lack of "standards".

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:29 AM
AllanMTL46
Alexei BOOM Emelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
I perfer Eller to play C. He look lost playing wing. He needs to get a real number rather than 81. Like #20 or #11 after Gomez is bought out.

We have the pieces in place. Pacioretty, Price, Eller, Subban, Emelin and our top 5 pick this summer. Guys like Plekanec, Gionta, Cole will give this team leadership. We just need to eliminate stupid players like Campoli, Weber, Kaberle, Nokelainen.

We don't have to bring our top #5 pick in next year. No need to rush. We could suck and get a top pick in 2013. The core guys we have right now are similar age (Pac, Price, Elly, Subby and Emel are around 22-24.

Our top 4 centers next season are...

Desharnais
Plekanec
Eller
Bounival
I heard they were going to retire Gomez's 11? But seriously, he has to keep 81.

AllanMTL46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:31 AM
AllanMTL46
Alexei BOOM Emelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant le colon View Post
Replace Leblanc by Palushaj then play Leblanc Grigorenko Gallagher in Hamilton !!! or sign one of Moss, Kostopoulos, Tootoo or Stempniak to play with Eller and Moen !!

Hamilton can have :
Leblanc Grigorenko Gallagher
Nattinen Engvist Palushaj
Archambeault Bournival Holland
Schultz Dumont Berger (Conboy)

Habs :

Pacioretty Desharnais Cole
Bourque Plekanec Gionta
Moen Eller Kostopoulos (Tooto,Hagman,Stempniak)
Geoffrion White Staubitz
Isn't it Kotospoulis?

AllanMTL46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Here's the way I see it.

- We draft one of Grigorenko or Galchenyuk

Our centre depth is as follows:

- DD
- Pleks
- Eller
- Leblanc/Engqvist/FA singing

DD and Plekanec are the top 6 centres while Eller is our third centre. The centre we will draft will have to outplay Eller for the third centre spot during camp, as it would be a waste to play one of Eller or the drafted player on the fourth line. If Grigs/Galchenyuk do outplay Eller, then we have a debate. The drafted player will probably get a 9-game look in the NHL, at the end of which the Habs will have to make a decision; either to move one of Eller or DD to the wing (I'd move DD, since I think Eller's skillset is better suited at centre while we wouldn't lose DD's skills if he played on the wing) or trade one of Pleks, DD or Eller.

If the drafted player does not outplay Eller at camp, then this is a non-issue. That player goes back to juniors for the season or plays with Hamilton if eligible, and then this whole debate is pushed back for another year, giving the team more time to evaluate its assets.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:50 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
if we can get Huberdeau so the fans can start chanting his name and his head can swell, and the media can destroy his confidence when he doesn't produce 30+ goals in his rookie season forcing us to trade him to a team like Minnesota for a failed #4 overall pick.
Never read anything this negative on these boards. Go away.

Old
03-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Never read anything this negative on these boards. Go away.
Are you too young to remember Latendresse? Forget reading something so negative, some of us watched it happen.

I guess you can not argue the rest of the facts I posted about DD so you have to hope I go away rather than make you realize how wrong your assessment of DD is.

No worries, you need not reply. My point was made.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:38 AM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanMTL46 View Post
I heard they were going to retire Gomez's 11? But seriously, he has to keep 81.

That would be a cool ceremony. It would be the first time a banner would be raised after being set afire.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote