HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Who Had The More Dangerous Slap Shot: Chara Or MacInnis?

Old
08-03-2011, 10:37 AM
DanZ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicBruin91 View Post
Chara's shot >>>> Lidstroms.

Lidstrom has more hockey IQ however.
He has a harder shot, not better. He's better at hitting the glass. IQ plays into shot-taking ability.

DanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:31 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
I'm not so sure about that. Chara has more power, but in a game environnement, Lidstrom was very good at taking the perfect shot through traffic.
Lidstrom's shots have eyes. He can thread the needle at 80MPH+ through 7 guys. IMO, this is and always has been by far his best skill, and I've seen more of Lidstrom than most non-Wings fans.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 12:16 PM
revolverjgw

As far as use of the slapshot goes, MacInnis > *

revolverjgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:11 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Came across this Youtube clip today, it really highlights just how deadly MacInnis slapshot was:

The goal he scores from centre ice is just ridiculous.
Jesus, look at that shot at 0:55. He literally shoots through the goalie's hand and injures him.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Infinite Vision*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Lidstrom's shots have eyes. He can thread the needle at 80MPH+ through 7 guys. IMO, this is and always has been by far his best skill, and I've seen more of Lidstrom than most non-Wings fans.
I have to agree here. I've never seen a defenseman get the puck on net so consistently.

Infinite Vision* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 04:17 AM
Bougieman

vCash: 200
Mike Liut will tell you it was big Al.

"The power of his shot grew into legend on January 17, 1984, in a game against St. Louis. In his first full season with the Flames, MacInnis took a slapshot from just outside the Blues' defensive zone that struck goaltender Mike Liut on the mask. The shot split Liut's helmet while the puck fell into the net for a goal."

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 05:10 AM
overg

It's funny watching that clip of MacInnis. He's been retired for years, and his shot *still* scares me. Crazy accurate for how hard it was, and god help you if you tried to get in front of it.

I've always said Brett Hull had my favorite slap shot to watch, but MacInnis wins the scariest in a landslide.

overg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 06:10 AM
The Perfect Human*

MacInnis AINEC.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 06:38 AM
The Perfect Human*

Kind of OT, but I've always wondered how people compare a "heavy" shot with a "fast" shot.

It's the same damn principle being applied. The puck is a constant mass. It's "heaviness" - or whatever "weight" or "power" it's carrying, can only be determined by one factor - the speed of it's movement (Momentum = mass x velocity).

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 07:24 AM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

Maybe heavy is speed and fast is release? I dunno. But yeah. MacInnis. No question at all. I like Chara, but I've never thought of him as that kind of guy.

metalfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 10:23 AM
vadim sharifijanov
thanks chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Kind of OT, but I've always wondered how people compare a "heavy" shot with a "fast" shot.

It's the same damn principle being applied. The puck is a constant mass. It's "heaviness" - or whatever "weight" or "power" it's carrying, can only be determined by one factor - the speed of it's movement (Momentum = mass x velocity).
as i understand it, fast is how quickly you can get the shot off.

being that we're talking about guys who can shoot it between 75-105 MPH and the distance between blue line and goal line is only 89 feet, there's really only a very small difference between how fast shea weber's shot goes from blue line to goal line, and how fast shane o'brien's does in terms of a goalie's reaction time. it's actually more important that a point man can quickly step into hit shot and get it off hard because more time is saved with a fast wind-up than is saved by the extra 5-10, even 20 MPH.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 10:41 AM
Xavier Laflamme*

Chara's is more dangerous in a sense where he has no control over it what so ever..He can't pick corner's or keep it down on the ice for deflections. He just grips it and rips it and where it goes, is nobody's clue. Half the time he's injuring his own players or the opposition.. so dangerous taken in a literal sense, it's Chara..It also makes his shot less effective because he doesn't use it all the time, only when he's got a huge lane to shoot in.

So basically yes, Al MacInnis AINEC

Xavier Laflamme* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 10:54 AM
mfd1068

Big Al for sure but my slap shot king is Bobby Hull!

mfd1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Killion

You guys are no fun, by "dangerous" I thought you were talking Homicidal, and in that category, Stan Mikita (deliberate), Dennis Hull & Pete Mahovlich (no idea where it was going), Mark Napier (HeadHunter) and Al Iafrate (Wild Thing) pretty much take those ribbons home. Guys like Larry Murphy & Al McInnis had heavy shots that went right through you but they were accurate. I remember that incident with Liut, and believe me, there was nothing "accidental" about that shot to his Melon.

Mike had a big ol' trash talking pie hole.....

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 12:25 PM
vadim sharifijanov
thanks chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
You guys are no fun, by "dangerous" I thought you were talking Homicidal, and in that category, Stan Mikita (deliberate), Dennis Hull & Pete Mahovlich (no idea where it was going), Mark Napier (HeadHunter) and Al Iafrate (Wild Thing) pretty much take those ribbons home. Guys like Larry Murphy & Al McInnis had heavy shots that went right through you but they were accurate. I remember that incident with Liut, and believe me, there was nothing "accidental" about that shot to his Melon.

was it not also liut that gretzky scored his behind the net goal on? seems like a guy people liked to embarrass.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 01:55 PM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post

Just tossing an idea out there, but maybe it has to do with how level the puck is in flight or how much it rotates. If one player has a very level, low rotation shot, the puck will tend to hit and "stick" rather than spin off in another direction, meaning the defender/goalie has to absorb more of the puck's momentum to stop it. Another player's shot which wobbles or spins more would be more prone to deflecting/spinning off on impact, so the defender/goalie absorbs less puck momentum to deflect it.

You'd have to use a high speed camera focused on the puck in flight to see if I'm talking sense or nonsense.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
was it not also liut that gretzky scored his behind the net goal on? seems like a guy people liked to embarrass.
Ya, your referring to the one he scored from behind the net. A soft riser at Liuts completely upright & vertical stance center crease at the crossbar instead of hugging the posts in a semi-crouch, moving laterally if required, looking through the netting to see what Gretzky was going to try & pull this time. Nice lil' flick-shot, onto the back, trickle's down his pants like..... well, you get the picture, & B.I.N.G.O. was da name a dat tune.

Old
08-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
Just tossing an idea out there, but maybe it has to do with how level the puck is in flight or how much it rotates. If one player has a very level, low rotation shot, the puck will tend to hit and "stick" rather than spin off in another direction, meaning the defender/goalie has to absorb more of the puck's momentum to stop it. Another player's shot which wobbles or spins more would be more prone to deflecting/spinning off on impact, so the defender/goalie absorbs less puck momentum to deflect it.

You'd have to use a high speed camera focused on the puck in flight to see if I'm talking sense or nonsense.
Youve' got the right idea there. Actual wind-up, full lift or short of the stick itself has actually little effect. The physics' depend on what part of the blade the pucks hit with & whether or not the puck is rotating, wobbling or "still" on the ice, combined with blade curvature, what Lie the shooter uses & how stiff or whippy the shaft. Orr for example used a small-curve with a single thin roll of tape to mark the "sweet spot" for his slapper which was accurate & heavy. The crazy Banana Blades of the mid-60's through early 70's also did bizarre things to the puck in flight, its path arc'ing left or right & often dipping or rising mid-trajectory in what you as the goalie had to judge its ascendancy. You only saw the puck in the split second it left the blade with the really good shooters. You didnt see it in flight until it was maybe a foot or inches away from crossing the line. The development of the slapshot was really what gave rise to the standup theories, and of course today with stick technology & the speed of the game, the hybrid butterflys, more concerned with "blocking" shots rather than making a "save".

Old
03-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Brooklanders*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted1971 View Post
I'll go with Big Al.
Al all the way chara is so overrated

Brooklanders* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2015, 10:29 AM
Lexus
OWN THE MOMENT.

Yesterday @HockeyWebCast uploaded this gem.

Love the sound of it, sounds like a cannon.

Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2015, 10:41 AM
GMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdug41982 View Post
A lot of players feared blocking or being in the way of MacInnis shot. You don't see that with Chara or anyone else these days.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't shot blocking more prevalent today than it's ever been?

I don't think players 15 years ago would want to block a shot of a 6'9 man who shoots over 105 mph.

GMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2015, 12:38 PM
Moose Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post

In that vein, remember Gaston Gingras? Whenever he wound up, the players would yell 'DUCK!'

Moose Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2015, 03:19 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't shot blocking more prevalent today than it's ever been?

I don't think players 15 years ago would want to block a shot of a 6'9 man who shoots over 105 mph.
It doesn't really matter. MacInnis did this for two decades in the 1980s and 1990s and even into the 2000s. His shot never depreciated as he aged. Yet he was still the most feared shooter with the slap shot.

Here's the thing with MacInnis, he did injure the odd opposing goalie, but how many times did he injure his own player? I can't think of a time. MacInnis had great hockey sense and if there was traffic in front of the net he seemed to be able to control it and keep it low. If there wasn't he could aim it high.

Either way, he had this unique ability of getting the puck away in a hurry, yet he used a full wind up. I never understand that. Players like Mike Bossy or Phil Esposito were known for their quick wrists and getting the puck off in a hurry with a little snap shot or something. MacInnis somehow did a full wind up but still got the puck off. And the velocity of that shot............I mean my goodness, just watch an old clip of him scoring, the puck gets there in a hurry.

No one can do that today. In fact, all-time who else did? Maybe Brett and Bobby Hull. Who else perfected the slap shot though?

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2015, 03:26 PM
GMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
It doesn't really matter. MacInnis did this for two decades in the 1980s and 1990s and even into the 2000s. His shot never depreciated as he aged. Yet he was still the most feared shooter with the slap shot.

Here's the thing with MacInnis, he did injure the odd opposing goalie, but how many times did he injure his own player? I can't think of a time. MacInnis had great hockey sense and if there was traffic in front of the net he seemed to be able to control it and keep it low. If there wasn't he could aim it high.

Either way, he had this unique ability of getting the puck away in a hurry, yet he used a full wind up. I never understand that. Players like Mike Bossy or Phil Esposito were known for their quick wrists and getting the puck off in a hurry with a little snap shot or something. MacInnis somehow did a full wind up but still got the puck off. And the velocity of that shot............I mean my goodness, just watch an old clip of him scoring, the puck gets there in a hurry.

No one can do that today. In fact, all-time who else did? Maybe Brett and Bobby Hull. Who else perfected the slap shot though?
Oh I agree that MacInnis has the best slapshot. My whole point was about shot blocking and people being afraid of his shot. Shot blocking during the 90's wasn't what it is today. Players are expected to block shots more nowadays.

GMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2015, 03:48 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR View Post
Oh I agree that MacInnis has the best slapshot. My whole point was about shot blocking and people being afraid of his shot. Shot blocking during the 90's wasn't what it is today. Players are expected to block shots more nowadays.
I think regardless of the money you make, you don't want to stand in front of MacInnis or Chara's shot. However, shot blocking was still very prevalent in the 1990s. MacInnis just had better hockey sense than Chara and had better offensive instincts to give himself more room.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote