HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Goalie Depth

Old
03-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Aeneas

vCash: 500
Goalie Depth

Basically, How do you feel about the Habs goalie Depth and When do we look at developing another goalie in the system for down the line? Yes we have our stud in Price. Budaj seems like a serviceable backup, i know Price is still very young and has a long career ahead of him but depth never hurts. Looking years ahead having a situation like Vancouver where they have a great young backup behind a great goalie would be pretty sweet. Currently our needs our elsewhere but when do you guys think we start to look?

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

It's never too early to start looking at players that down the road could be an upgrade or successor. A well managed team would do this. If you start now you may have a good goalie ready in 5 years or so about the time Price will be coming off his next contract.

Not the highest priority at the moment but a well run team has all bases covered.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 09:46 AM
katatoniak

We have to draft one this year, I would love to draft subban with our 2nd round pick ... but I think he'll be gone in the mid-to-late first

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Miller Time

what depth?

if Price runs into some serious injury troubles, and/or they can't get him extended long-term, we are in serious trouble.

Budaj is not an everyday NHL starter & no other goalie in our organization is showing signs of having even NHL back-up potential.

it's a weakness that needs to be addressed, even if the hope is that Price is the permanent solution for the next 5-10 years.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

We have no depth. Price is our goalie depth. Budaj isn't really a great back-up and we have no real goalie prospects. Price is a keeper and I wouldn't use a high pick on one, but we should look at bringing in a legitimate goalie prospect.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Muminek

We absolutely have to graft a goalie, we`ve got one higher quality goalie in the whole organisation, Bulldogs included.

Muminek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Price
Budaj
Delmas
Lawson
Mayer

They definitely need to draft a goalie soon.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Time to draft Malcolm Subban?

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:01 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Was letting Cedric Desjardins go a mistake?

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:07 AM
ReVeuF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Time to draft Malcolm Subban?
If he is there at our 2nd round pick we have to take him, the goalie depth is bad right now, no Cedrick Desjardins, Halak, Ramo ...

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Maybe sign Joacim Eriksson if all else fails... the Flyers didn't have the chance to sign him! And I think it is a good thing because the Flyers just isn't an organization that can be relied upon to develop goalies.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Drydenwasthebest

Drafting Subban with our 2nd is...interesting. We need some depth, but I don't see any Subban willing to play second fiddle to any other player at his position for long. This could be a boon, or a problem. Remember, we had to let Halak go in order to enable Price to develop and shine risk free. If Subban were brought in, it oculd cause havok with Price's confidence.

Of course, if Subban is as good a goalie as his brother is a d-man, then we could trade Price once Subban develops a bit.

Sigh...See? See how problematic it could be to draft Subban? I love Price and am already starting to imagine what the team could get for him if we had Subban in nets and he developed well. AAArrrggghh...

To heck with it. Draft Subban with our 2nd, if possible. Just make sure we sign Price for 5 years, first.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:18 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

we are in a position where we need to trade for depth if need be.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Was letting Cedric Desjardins go a mistake?
It can be easily rectified if it was.

Desjardins is a RFA after this season. He's atop the AHL leaderboard in goals against average (1.97) and save percentage (.937). He's been beset by injuries this season, but appears to be 100% again.

Based on the rules for this past season, Desjardins could be had for a song or nothing. A cap hit of less than $1.034m and there's no compensation and anything from $1.034 to $1.567m would only require a 3rd round draft pick as compensation.

Given how little one would expect to play behind Price, I doubt that the Canadiens could attract an established 25-30 game back up. Desjardins might be the perfect fit for a couple of reasons. First, he's 26 and any NHL gig would be a step up for him. Second, he's done everything he can in the AHL and is ready for the NHL. Third, he'll come cheap and like his former teammate in Hamilton and Cincinnati (DD), his dream growing up was to play for the Canadiens.

He's also not a pie-in-the-sky draft pick. He's ready to go now. One major injury to Price and the Habs are FUBARed.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:39 AM
GoHomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Maybe sign Joacim Eriksson if all else fails... the Flyers didn't have the chance to sign him! And I think it is a good thing because the Flyers just isn't an organization that can be relied upon to develop goalies.
I like him, has had a very nice development and progression. Has taken over as starter on last year finalists Skellefteå, the playoffs this year will be big for him. Good start with 26 saves in a 3-2 win in game 1.

But he'd only cover the loss of Ramo, shouldn't we look at adding depth in Hamilton as well as drafting a goalie. Aren't there any good candidates in NA?
I'm thinking of a goalie doing what Sanford did in Hamilton a couple of years ago..

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:04 PM
yianik

Id actually look at using a couple of draft picks on goalies, both this year and next. Our depth looks really bad and it ususally does take 4-5 years before you trust a guy to start in net after drafting him. As said above, good teams have all the basis covered and it doesnt matter if you have a youngish , believed to be franchise goalie, in nets.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:06 PM
intylerwetrust
Space Oddity

Quote:
Originally Posted by katatoniak View Post
We have to draft one this year, I would love to draft subban with our 2nd round pick ... but I think he'll be gone in the mid-to-late first
Yeah I think the Devils, Hawks, or Bolts may grab him. Him and Vasilevski are bound to go by round 2.

intylerwetrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post

Desjardins is a RFA after this season. He's atop the AHL leaderboard in goals against average (1.97) and save percentage (.937). He's been beset by injuries this season, but appears to be 100% again.

Based on the rules for this past season, Desjardins could be had for a song or nothing. A cap hit of less than $1.034m and there's no compensation and anything from $1.034 to $1.567m would only require a 3rd round draft pick as compensation.

Given how little one would expect to play behind Price, I doubt that the Canadiens could attract an established 25-30 game back up. Desjardins might be the perfect fit for a couple of reasons. First, he's 26 and any NHL gig would be a step up for him. Second, he's done everything he can in the AHL and is ready for the NHL. Third, he'll come cheap and like his former teammate in Hamilton and Cincinnati (DD), his dream growing up was to play for the Canadiens.

He's also not a pie-in-the-sky draft pick. He's ready to go now. One major injury to Price and the Habs are FUBARed.
Awesome. So a couple bad games by Carey and the media will be howling for Cedric Franchise. I'm pretty sure he was on waivers this year and he couldn't stick in Tampa. I really see no evidence to suggest he is better than Budaj, someone who has a decent number of starts at the NHL level and has actually held down a starters job.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:23 PM
NovaScotia Habsfan31

Draft Zachary Fucale in 2013

NovaScotia Habsfan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Oleg Petrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post

You would seriously make an offer sheet for an AHL goalie? While you already have a backup in place with Budaj......ugggh.

I believe Desjardins will be agroup 6 UFA at the end of the year, and then could re-sign in MTL. They just need to give him a good AHL salary; $200 K + should get it done.

Oleg Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Muminek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
Awesome. So a couple bad games by Carey and the media will be howling for Cedric Franchise. I'm pretty sure he was on waivers this year and he couldn't stick in Tampa. I really see no evidence to suggest he is better than Budaj, someone who has a decent number of starts at the NHL level and has actually held down a starters job.
No matter which goalie we draft/sign it`s a guaranteed reaction, but the org. cannot let the lack of goalie depth carry on. If Price goes down or gets traded for whatever reason Habs have no contingency plan.

Old
03-10-2012, 12:32 PM
phoque taupe

I'd like Subban, but it wont happen.
Cant see the management willing to have 2 trolls in the locker room :p

phoque taupe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muminek View Post
No matter which goalie we draft/sign it`s a guaranteed reaction, but the org. cannot let the lack of goalie depth carry on. If Price goes down or gets traded for whatever reason Habs have no contingency plan.
I agree that we are cooked if Carey goes down but I see no reason to replace Buadj (who has been a starter in the NHL) with an AHLer just because he is French. We need to get some solid goalie prospects in our system but a 26 year old AHLer isn't the answer.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:43 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Drafting Subban with our 2nd is...interesting. We need some depth, but I don't see any Subban willing to play second fiddle to any other player at his position for long. This could be a boon, or a problem. Remember, we had to let Halak go in order to enable Price to develop and shine risk free. If Subban were brought in, it oculd cause havok with Price's confidence.

Of course, if Subban is as good a goalie as his brother is a d-man, then we could trade Price once Subban develops a bit.

Sigh...See? See how problematic it could be to draft Subban? I love Price and am already starting to imagine what the team could get for him if we had Subban in nets and he developed well. AAArrrggghh...

To heck with it. Draft Subban with our 2nd, if possible. Just make sure we sign Price for 5 years, first.
For the near future it wouldn't be a problem at all, it takes years for most goalies to develop so Subban probably wouldn't even be challenging for a roster spot until he's 22 or 23 and by that point Price would be 28 or 29, so it's not a bad idea.

I say spend one of our 2nd round picks this year on a goalie, even if it isn't Subban it'll be nice to have some goaltender depth in our organization.

sharks9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Muminek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
I agree that we are cooked if Carey goes down but I see no reason to replace Buadj (who has been a starter in the NHL) with an AHLer just because he is French. We need to get some solid goalie prospects in our system but a 26 year old AHLer isn't the answer.
Yeah, no. I don`t care about Cedric, I just agree it`s high time to adress this particular need, via draft preferably.

With Subban and that other guy probably gone before our pick, what are the other draft options?