HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Philadelphia Eagles & NFL discussion

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2012, 12:16 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
And the Cowboys got a stud in Troy and the giants got a stud in Manning!!!! Oh and the colts got a stud in Peyton!! So what is your point??
so you openly admit it's a 50-50 shot the guy becomes something or not. If he fails, this will be one of the worst trades in NFL history. And it's not like the Redskins are a QB away from being good... It makes no sense, if they are trying to build a team, to make this move.

Old
03-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Drafting a QB this high in the draft is always a risk, because if they fail you set you can set your franchise back a decade.

Old
03-10-2012, 12:26 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceman26 View Post
yeah and the bengals got a stud qb in 99, the lions got a stud qb in 02, and raiders reallly got a stud in 07.
You're comparing RG3 to Jamarcus?

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
Old
03-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Tim Tebow

vCash: 500
IMO I am surprised so many people think this was a bad trade.

Is anyone familiar with the Redskins situation? What else should they do? Draft a later QB and develop him? (Jason Campbell and Patrick Ramsey really worked out great) Sign an outside QB who has been successful already? (Donovan McNabb? Brad Johnson? Mark Brunell? ) Keep up the same? (Rex Grossman and John Beck were really working wonders)

Sure the price was high for the #2 pick but if I was a Skins fan I would be thrilled that they finally are getting a big time QB prospect and they actually have a chance of having an actual QB for once in like an entire generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
Drafting a QB this high in the draft is always a risk, because if they fail you set you can set your franchise back a decade.
Set them back even more then not having a QB?

Old
03-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post

Set them back even more then not having a QB?
Not when you make this type of trade for him... you are giving up 3 first round draft picks for a player who had one great season in College. Not every scout is sold on him like they are Luck/Barkley.

Old
03-10-2012, 01:27 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Only one person on the planet thought JaFailcus Russel was worth the #1 overall pick in the draft, and it just happened to be the one man whose decision it was to make the #1 overall pick.

Old
03-10-2012, 01:28 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
You're comparing RG3 to Jamarcus?
Not exactly, but there's a couple reasons why I would wait to call him a stud qb before taking a snap in the NFL. First he played 1 top 50 defense all year (TCU)...so he tore up teams that were terrible defensively. The one great team he played all year(OSU), dude choked in the Red Zone time after time and made 3 turnovers. So yeah, I'm not buying into the hype until he has a great season in the pros. To call him a stud now is foolish. I think he's going to have a rude awakening to the NFL.

Old
03-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Justified
Amaro out

I hope the new Rams GM can draft, he sure is going to have alot of options. Washington will probably have another top 5 pick next year.

Old
03-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceman26 View Post
so you openly admit it's a 50-50 shot the guy becomes something or not. If he fails, this will be one of the worst trades in NFL history. And it's not like the Redskins are a QB away from being good... It makes no sense, if they are trying to build a team, to make this move.
No not really. You have to look at the player. Aikman, Elway, P. Manning were special players who you just knew were going to be special. Had Aikman came out the year before he would have been a top ten pick. By staying in he was the clear cut #1. I do agree if he fails it will go down as one of the worse trades in NFL history. Mine is the H. Walker deal. That trade rebuilt Dallas. Luck and RG3 fit that mold of special players. By the way who is to say Luck goes #1? Would you bet your house on that? I would not. My money is that both Luck and RG3 are better QB's than the dog killer. And the eagles are making their bed with him

Old
03-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Not when you make this type of trade for him... you are giving up 3 first round draft picks for a player who had one great season in College. Not every scout is sold on him like they are Luck/Barkley.
Keep in mind this is a franchise that has only made the playoffs twice in the last 18 years and each time they made it they made it as the final seed. In those 18 years they have had 16 first round picks, decent amount of busts with a few big names. But ether way Washington despite having numerous failures seasons has still had numerous years where they posted a top 10 defense or strong running game. The issue has always been with the QB. Bad turnovers, unable to extend drives when they do have a long conversion. Once they get an effective QB the Skins will be a legit threat. Sure they will still have a few other weaknesses but then again so does every NFL team.

I mean the Eagles were in just as bad shape when they drafted McNabb #2 in 1999. Obviously they still had their picks since he was an earned #2 but they were in the playoffs in the #3 seed in McNabb's 2nd season.

I agree with you if Griffin ends up being a bust it will be a terrible trade and it will set them back even farther. But considering how bad they have been ether way it's well worth the risk. Even if he doesn't live up to the full hype if he is at least a respectable QB they will be a legit team.

I think this was a move they had to make. Plus I wouldn't put everything into scouts. I mean again on McNabb didn't scouts tell us how awesome Tim Couch was and how unsure they were of McNabb?

Old
03-10-2012, 01:52 PM
JVR21
G

lol at the Redskins

Old
03-10-2012, 02:04 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
No not really. You have to look at the player. Aikman, Elway, P. Manning were special players who you just knew were going to be special. Had Aikman came out the year before he would have been a top ten pick. By staying in he was the clear cut #1. I do agree if he fails it will go down as one of the worse trades in NFL history. Mine is the H. Walker deal. That trade rebuilt Dallas. Luck and RG3 fit that mold of special players. By the way who is to say Luck goes #1? Would you bet your house on that? I would not. My money is that both Luck and RG3 are better QB's than the dog killer. And the eagles are making their bed with him
well no ****... vick is a terrible qb and it's only the hoodlums in philly that like him or think he's good. I would make the trade to get Luck but not for RG3. RG3 had 1 good season, and like I said destroyed pretty much all weak defenses on the way. I think he's good but not 3 first round picks and a 2nd good, especially for a team with as many holes as the redskins. Who cares who the qb is, when your team's OL can't block worth a damn. I watch the Skins every week because they are the home market where I go to school, and this team is not an elite qb away from even being a .500 team.

Old
03-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
Keep in mind this is a franchise that has only made the playoffs twice in the last 18 years and each time they made it they made it as the final seed. In those 18 years they have had 16 first round picks, decent amount of busts with a few big names. But ether way Washington despite having numerous failures seasons has still had numerous years where they posted a top 10 defense or strong running game. The issue has always been with the QB. Bad turnovers, unable to extend drives when they do have a long conversion. Once they get an effective QB the Skins will be a legit threat. Sure they will still have a few other weaknesses but then again so does every NFL team.

I mean the Eagles were in just as bad shape when they drafted McNabb #2 in 1999. Obviously they still had their picks since he was an earned #2 but they were in the playoffs in the #3 seed in McNabb's 2nd season.

I agree with you if Griffin ends up being a bust it will be a terrible trade and it will set them back even farther. But considering how bad they have been ether way it's well worth the risk. Even if he doesn't live up to the full hype if he is at least a respectable QB they will be a legit team.

I think this was a move they had to make. Plus I wouldn't put everything into scouts. I mean again on McNabb didn't scouts tell us how awesome Tim Couch was and how unsure they were of McNabb?
But the Eagles didnt trade up for McNabb. If the Skins didnt trade up for this pick, than I think it would be fine. The problem is that they gave up so much for him. Only time will tell how this trade ends up.

Old
03-12-2012, 04:45 PM
Justified
Amaro out

The Skins and Cowboys basically wont be able to have an offseason to sign players as they have gotten in trouble with the NFL will front loading contracts during an uncapped year.

Old
03-12-2012, 06:10 PM
Stonehands77

Quote:
The Skins and Cowboys basically wont be able to have an offseason to sign players as they have gotten in trouble with the NFL will front loading contracts during an uncapped year.
So not only do the Skins not have any 1st round picks for the next 3 years, they're playing with a $36 million smaller cap over the next 2 years then everyone else. They're screwed now. No talent around this shiny new QB. Have fun with that!

Old
03-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Prongo
Beer

Eagles are after Carl Nicks. also interested are the Bucs

https://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfor...69862015176706

Quote:
Bucs and Eagles pushing to get Carl Nicks in their building first. Tampa lookin to use some of that big cap space quickly it seems!

Old
03-13-2012, 03:54 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Moss to the Niners

Redskins are using a cap hit $36 million less than the other teams in the league, Cowboys $10 million less. Saints and Raiders had minor infractions that won't allow a cap increase. The other 26 teams will have an extra $1.6m to spend.

Brandon Marshall back with Cutler, traded to the Bears for picks. Not a good way to try and draw Peyton Manning to you team

Old
03-13-2012, 04:14 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
2x All Pro guard? Sign me up. Peters-Nicks-Kelce-Watkins-Herremans is a solid offensive line if Watkins stops sucking.

Also, Herremans signed a 3 year extension.

Old
03-13-2012, 04:23 PM
Amateur Hour

Carl Nicks wants to be the highest-paid guard in football. Just say no. Re-sign Evan Mathis at a better price and focus on upgrading the defense. What the **** is wrong with these *******s?

Though now that I think about it, blowing a **** ton of money on Nicks would be such a typical Eagles move.

Happy to hear about Herremans. One of the few guys on the team that I actually like.

Old
03-13-2012, 08:59 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Moss to the Niners

Redskins are using a cap hit $36 million less than the other teams in the league, Cowboys $10 million less. Saints and Raiders had minor infractions that won't allow a cap increase. The other 26 teams will have an extra $1.6m to spend.

Brandon Marshall back with Cutler, traded to the Bears for picks. Not a good way to try and draw Peyton Manning to you team
Manning comes with Wayne most probably.

Old
03-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
Manning comes with Wayne most probably.
Wayne just re-upped in Indy

Old
03-13-2012, 09:25 PM
Justified
Amaro out

I want a solid linebacker, because we sure as hell know that Reid isnt capable of drafting one.

Old
03-13-2012, 09:26 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Carl Nicks wants to be the highest-paid guard in football. Just say no. Re-sign Evan Mathis at a better price and focus on upgrading the defense. What the **** is wrong with these *******s?

Though now that I think about it, blowing a **** ton of money on Nicks would be such a typical Eagles move.

Happy to hear about Herremans. One of the few guys on the team that I actually like.
Carl Nicks is great but yeah Mathis was one of our better linemen last year, unless he's going for his own big payday elsewhere I don't understand why they wouldn't try to re-sign him and focus on other needs.

Old
03-13-2012, 09:53 PM
Normand Lacombe

Quote:
I want a solid linebacker, because we sure as hell know that Reid isnt capable of drafting one.
And stubbornly refuses to draft one in the first two rounds.

Old
03-13-2012, 10:16 PM
King Fish

Marshall to Chicago?! I guess Miami is out of the Manning race. Why trade your best WR when you are trying to attract the top FA QB? Maybe they are in on Flynn and will draft a WR, more of a move to build around Flynn for the future.

Closed Thread