HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Countdown to 100!

Old
03-10-2012, 06:48 AM

vCash: 500
The Countdown to 100!

16 Games left to get 21 points. He can do it!

Last edited by 1865: 03-10-2012 at 06:55 AM.
1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 09:25 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Would be so epic if he did. Just for the fact that Jester pretty much said he had no chance to hit 100 points, because he was too old

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 09:40 AM
cheesesteak

Who are we talking about? Giroux?

cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Appleyard

He is currently on pace for 99.39 points... so if he maintains this pace, 50/50, but for sure he will hit 95, and if he had not missed those 4 games I would say he would definitely hit 100.

He needs 1.31 ppg to do it

First 16 games of the year: 19 points at 1.19 ppg
Second 16 games: 26 points at 1.63 ppg
Third 16 games: 15 points at 0.94ppg (these games directly after concussion, 5 of these scored in last 3 of that stretch)
Last 14 games: 19 points at 1.36 ppg
Overall averaged: 1.27 ppg

In his last 20 games (which is when I figure he was back to normal after concussion) he is at 27 points, at 1.35 ppg pace. If he maintains this for next 16 games he would finish with 101 points.

Likely scenarios depending on play in ppg terms:

Worst (taking worst stretches over year): 1ppg. Would finish on 95 points

Bad (taking into account worst healthy stretch): 1.19 ppg. Would finish on 98 points

Mid (average over year): 1.27 ppg. Would finish on 99 points

High (taking last 20 games into account): 1.35ppg, 101 points

Best (taking into account best 16 game stretch), 105 points

Literally going to be touch and go.

Appleyard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Appleyard

Just ran over the figures... and if the top guys maintain the same pace they have all year, they will end with:

Malkin: 101points
Stamkos: 100 points
Giroux: 99 points
Spezza: 87 points
Kessel: 87 points
Kovalchuk: 83 points

These guys, Datsyuk, Lupul and Eberle are the only players on for even PPG pace this year... 4-6 other guys have a shot at it, namely Karlsson, Hossa, the Sedins, Elias and Tavares, reckon only 2-3 of them will hit PPG

Shows how dominant Malkin, Stamkos and Giroux have been.

There is also a decent chance no player will hit 100 points, last time that happened was 03-04. Since the expansion this has only happened three times (excluding lock out shortened season.) 99-00, 01-02, 03-04.

If Malkin wins the Art Ross, he will be the first new multiple winner since Jagr in 97-98. (Though to be fair, between 1980-81 and 2000-01, only three guys won it! Gretzky, Lemieux and Jagr.)

Old
03-10-2012, 12:58 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Would be so epic if he did. Just for the fact that Jester pretty much said he had no chance to hit 100 points, because he was too old
Yeah so much for equating him to "Gomez"

Barring injury I'm pretty sure G will blow him away in career totals

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:33 PM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Yeah so much for equating him to "Gomez"

Barring injury I'm pretty sure G will blow him away in career totals
I can't believe anyone equate Giroux to Gomez. Outside of their last names starting with G, there is no comparison.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Xegiie

lets hope the kid will make it

in the begining i was crossing fingers for Jagr to attack such number, but that was too much, still im happy what i see, Jags still owns.

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

I believe a lot rides on how Hartnell and Jagr do... if Harts has a real hot stretch or two, Giroux will get many more Assists... if Jagr stays in the lineup, Giroux benefits down the stretch as well. The three together, healthy and playing well bodes well for G's quest.

Also, PP time and First Unit proficiency means a lot also... The Flyers have more PP chances than any other team in the League -- by far IIRC -- and when they are clicking, they amass quite a few goals... I believe I read that Giroux has more PP points than anyone in the NHL, and I know Hartnell has more goals which goes a long way in explaining Giroux's position.

Playing time down the stretch can add to the mix... a maintenance game off at the end, or giving him less minutes in games could effect his total... I don't imagine Lavy or the Flyers would risk a drained Giroux for a 100 point season for a player. Conversely, a tight seeding race and added minutes and urgency could add points.

I think it will be close... and I'm leaning to it depending on if Hartnell goes on another hot streak... My money's on Giroux.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:44 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

Yes he can! Go G GO

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Top Cheese Danish

I was just going back and looking at some old Giroux threads, and I found one (from 2009) where BobbyClarkeFan16 said that in a few years, Giroux will be a 100 point scorer and a scoring leader alongside Malkin: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...=670427&page=2

Everyone told him to chill out and stop putting G on a pedestal, and now this thread exists.

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 02:16 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Big oppurtunity for G to rack up some points tonight against a struggling leafs team. I think he can do it. G is due for a big 4-5 point game.

orange is better is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 02:26 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedinSandwich View Post
I was just going back and looking at some old Giroux threads, and I found one (from 2009) where BobbyClarkeFan16 said that in a few years, Giroux will be a 100 point scorer and a scoring leader alongside Malkin: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...=670427&page=2

Everyone told him to chill out and stop putting G on a pedestal, and now this thread exists.
lol......it's all good. I've seen Giroux numerous times when he played in Gatineau (I'm originally from the Ottawa area) and knew back when he was going to be very special. There are some players that you can just see greatness in and Giroux was one of those players. You can't teach the skill that he has and more important, he's got the drive in which he wants to be the best. Anyways, I think it's great that the Flyers drafted what could be considered the best player of that draft year.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
lol......it's all good. I've seen Giroux numerous times when he played in Gatineau (I'm originally from the Ottawa area) and knew back when he was going to be very special. There are some players that you can just see greatness in and Giroux was one of those players. You can't teach the skill that he has and more important, he's got the drive in which he wants to be the best. Anyways, I think it's great that the Flyers drafted what could be considered the best player of that draft year.
Great call on that... he is touch and go for 100 points in the fourth lowest (individual scoring) year since 1968! And if he had not missed those 4 games he'd have been a lock!

I think a lot of flyers fans knew he was going to be something special in the 08-09 playoffs... my moment of realization was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCddCuh_ISM

Old
03-10-2012, 03:28 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

I felt like bumping that thread a week ago, but decided against it.

Here is to hoping Roo can bring us a championship; after that I'll start worrying about him have a 100pt year. Either way would be fun to see a Flyer with 100pts.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 08:24 AM

Ok then. 21 from 15. Still very achievable.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:07 AM
Xegiie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Ok then. 21 from 15. Still very achievable.
too bad he didnt score at least one yesterday he had 2 good oppurtunities in 1st period

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 12:46 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I haven't seen the King of the Internet around for a while, I guess he is being right 100% of the time on some other website.

I think Giroux CAN hit 100 in the last few games, but I don't think he WILL. He'll be in the 90's though I think.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

Would really be something to see him get there. Without looking it up I would guess Lindros and Recchi would be our last two players to reach triple digits. Malkin, despite having absolutely no defensive skill or PK skill, will probably end up winning the Hart anyway although I would argue that Giroux's overall game of being good in his own end, a vital PK asset, and still tallying those numbers makes him a better candidate.

We have never had an Art Ross trophy winner and Lindros was our last Hart, so just to see it happen would be nice but compared to a Cup I could care less, they are just nice bonuses.

EDIT: Also now that Crosby's returning potentially this week against the Rangers, I would expect some of Malkin's ice time and production to take a slight hit, maybe just enough to give Roux the points (which is all anyone looks at for Hart 95% of the time) to get the votes for Hart.

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 02:21 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionofDoom627 View Post
Would really be something to see him get there. Without looking it up I would guess Lindros and Recchi would be our last two players to reach triple digits. Malkin, despite having absolutely no defensive skill or PK skill, will probably end up winning the Hart anyway although I would argue that Giroux's overall game of being good in his own end, a vital PK asset, and still tallying those numbers makes him a better candidate.

We have never had an Art Ross trophy winner and Lindros was our last Hart, so just to see it happen would be nice but compared to a Cup I could care less, they are just nice bonuses.

EDIT: Also now that Crosby's returning potentially this week against the Rangers, I would expect some of Malkin's ice time and production to take a slight hit, maybe just enough to give Roux the points (which is all anyone looks at for Hart 95% of the time) to get the votes for Hart.
I think Giroux has no shot at the Hart Trophy, even if he catches Malkin/Stamkos. The voters are just going to see Malkin doing it "by himself" without Crosby, while Giroux had Jagr, Hartnell, etc. I know the Pens have more than just Malkin, but Malkin putting up gobs of points without Crosby there looks more like an MVP than Giroux doing it with a supporting cast. Think of it this way, Penguins without Malkin are in a worse situation than the Flyers without Giroux. Malkin is gonna win and deserves it. Giroux could nab the Art Ross though.

Old
03-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

If G wins the Playoff MVP Award i don´t care at all on all other trophies ;D

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 02:46 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmanrulez View Post
If G wins the Playoff MVP Award i don´t care at all on all other trophies ;D
He needs more than the playoff MVP...just ask Ron Hextall.

Old
03-11-2012, 03:30 PM
trigzter

If anyone gets a nod, I'd believe it would be Stamkos, as he is truely shining on a bad team this year. Malkin benefits off Neal the same way Giroux does off Hartnell.

trigzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 03:44 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigzter View Post
If anyone gets a nod, I'd believe it would be Stamkos, as he is truely shining on a bad team this year. Malkin benefits off Neal the same way Giroux does off Hartnell.
Yeah but that's the thing, Stamkos is doing great on a bad defensive team. Without Stamkos the the Lightning would be worse, for sure, but without Malkin (and Crosby) I don't see the Pens as a playoff team. Stamkos is running away with the Richard trophy and could also grab the Art Ross, but I think the Hart is as good as Malkin's. Stamkos has a solid supporting cast around him, it's just the defense (most GA in the league) that seems to be killing TB.

Old
03-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I think Giroux has no shot at the Hart Trophy, even if he catches Malkin/Stamkos. The voters are just going to see Malkin doing it "by himself" without Crosby, while Giroux had Jagr, Hartnell, etc. I know the Pens have more than just Malkin, but Malkin putting up gobs of points without Crosby there looks more like an MVP than Giroux doing it with a supporting cast. Think of it this way, Penguins without Malkin are in a worse situation than the Flyers without Giroux. Malkin is gonna win and deserves it. Giroux could nab the Art Ross though.
Malkin's linemates are better than a 40 year old winger and someone who is typically a grinder/garbage goal scorer, nothing against Jagr or Hartnell. Neal has been emerging the last two years before having his breakout season, and Kunitz has been a solid linemate of Crosby and Malkin for seasons. With Jagr's injuries and lack of speed throughout the season and Hartnell's penalty's and the fact that he isn't your typical top line player, I'd say Malkin has better finishers as linemates. As a goal scorer I think Malkin has the edge over G, being that hes a gifted playmaker.

Hart Trophy SHOULD be for the best overall player however the voters love to go with the sexy and safe pick which is Malkin whom has absolutely no backchecking or defensive skill at all. The MVP of the Pen's is the shootout, without it they would be the 7th/8th seed right now.

Last edited by Brostradamus: 03-11-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote