HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Bryzgalov ever be worth his contract? All Bryz Discussion Here. Part Four

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2012, 10:49 PM
Flyerfan4life

vCash: 500
i gotcha and i guess i agree..

so long as this new bryz is the real bryz.

Old
03-10-2012, 05:49 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
while Bryz has been stellar the last 3-4 games i wonder what Bob would be like right now if he was given the same stretch of 10 games back to back regardless of outcome..

just saying..
What's the hype over Bobrovsky? He was really awesome in a surprising way during the first half of last season but other than that, he just looks like another young Russian goalie whose been tought horrible technique in his home country. I don't understand why Russian goaltending coaches teach their goalies to hold their gloves the way they do. It makes no sense. The best example of it was the goal that ultimately got Bob pulled in the series against Buffalo last spring.

Old
03-10-2012, 08:51 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

I really liked much of what I saw from Bob this year. But there is no reason to believe that he would become stalwart with a stretch of games. There is reason to believe that of Bryz - his career.

Old
03-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
What's the hype over Bobrovsky? He was really awesome in a surprising way during the first half of last season but other than that, he just looks like another young Russian goalie whose been tought horrible technique in his home country. I don't understand why Russian goaltending coaches teach their goalies to hold their gloves the way they do. It makes no sense. The best example of it was the goal that ultimately got Bob pulled in the series against Buffalo last spring.
That's the thing though. He didn't have a goalie coach on the team he was playing with in Russia.

Old
03-10-2012, 11:49 AM
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Each fan base has a few eggs who will overrate someone. A franchise with a strong recent history of terrible goaltending will especially have it.

Reality is Bob will never be anything more then a solid back up goalie.

People all went just as nuts over guys like Niittymaki, Esche, Biron, Leighton, Boucher, Emery... it's embarrassing really.

Old
03-10-2012, 11:51 AM
PJStock*

If Bryz can put up numbers next season like this season post ASG, then hopefully Bob is traded for a pick or two. No reason he can't be succesful somewhere else, but he needs playing time to get a roll. I'd rather see Hovinen brought up to backup Bryz. Plus, you save some 800,000 on the caphit.

Old
03-10-2012, 11:56 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
Each fan base has a few eggs who will overrate someone. A franchise with a strong recent history of terrible goaltending will especially have it.

People all went just as nuts over guys like Niittymaki, Esche, Biron, Leighton, Boucher, Emery... it's embarrassing really.
I'll agree with the first two and the first coming of Boucher, but "nuts" over Leighton? The Leightovah's Witnesses were few and far between, with the vast majority lamenting the circumstances where a career AHLer was Holmgren's principal solution. Biron and Emery were largely low-risk reclamation projects.

Old
03-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I'll agree with the first two and the first coming of Boucher, but "nuts" over Leighton? The Leightovah's Witnesses were few and far between, with the vast majority lamenting the circumstances where a career AHLer was Holmgren's principal solution. Biron and Emery were largely low-risk reclamation projects.
I was mainly going by a notable group of people even if it wasn't the vast majority of the fans. All of them had these impressive stretches where people seemed to fall in love with them. Leighton was prob the smallest scale but still got some.

I am basically just saying Bob is in that same class even if he is better then some like Leighton. Everyone else did something impressive where they played at the caliber of a #1 goalie but none were actually #1 goalies.

Personally I think Bob is most comparable to Niittymaki. He has the ability to make some sick saves but will never be fundamentally sound enough to be reliable on a night to night basis.

Old
03-10-2012, 01:07 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
I'm very happy that Bryz has been turning it around lately. I was down on him, like many others, but I was never rooting for him to fail.

I always felt that they either needed to tell him he's the undisputed #1 and start him 9-10 games in a row or sit him 5-6 games in a row and let him clear his head. Glad to see that playing him has seemingly turned things around.

Quote:
I am basically just saying Bob is in that same class even if he is better then some like Leighton. Everyone else did something impressive where they played at the caliber of a #1 goalie but none were actually #1 goalies.

Personally I think Bob is most comparable to Niittymaki. He has the ability to make some sick saves but will never be fundamentally sound enough to be reliable on a night to night basis.
In some ways, goaltenders are the hardest positions to really gauge. Without looking it up, I'd say only a hand full of the starters in the NHL were highly drafted players. You get a guy to come in at a young age and show flashes, I can understand why some would get overexcited about it. Especially with the goaltending history we've had here recently.

Old
03-10-2012, 01:10 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Even with his great play now, he'll earn his praise or lose the fans based on his play beyond the first week of April.

03-10-2012, 01:57 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:

See, and I beg to differ about Bob. I think Bob can be a legit number one in the NHL. He has all the tools. However, it's going to take some time. This was a guy that never had the opportunity to work with a goaltending coach, so there's going to be some habits that will need to be broken.

With that being said, he's got a good glove hand, his lateral movement is top notch and he squares himself very well to the shooter. He's also improved his stick handling immensely (it's gone from bad to decent). That isn't to say that there isn't room for improvement in his game because there is room.

Bob plays very tentative and doesn't really challenge shooters. He also has a penchant for giving up bad rebounds (funny, that seems to be a recurring theme with Flyers goaltending). There's also communication issues which he's working on improving, but still has some ground to go. On top of it, Bob tries too hard to make a spectacular save. He just needs to keep things simple.

The reality is, Bob could have used a year or two in the AHL. However, with the train wreck environment that Greg Gilbert created, there was no way the Flyers could have sent Bob there without it derailing his development. It was best for Bob to stay here and work with Jeff Reese.

I still think one of the biggest mistakes that Holmgren made was letting Martin Biron walk. He was a solid goalie that would have been a good mentor for Bob. I still don't understand that move. Biron played very well for the Flyers and he definitely earned himself a raise. There was no reason why Holmgren couldn't have gotten a deal done.

Old
03-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Bob's work ethic, willingness to learn, and drive to succeed seem to be very high. With his natural athletic talent that can take him pretty far. Time will tell.

03-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Bob actually looks like Leighton in some instances. Good at squaring up to the shooters, good glove hand, horrid rebound control. Trouble is, the last one costs you jobs.

Old
03-10-2012, 02:44 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:

Disagree whole heartily.

Anybody that saw what the kid could do in his rookie year in the NHL knows the kid can play.

Old
03-10-2012, 04:02 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Disagree whole heartily.

Anybody that saw what the kid could do in his rookie year in the NHL knows the kid can play.
Yeah I think it is clear that Bob will be starter somewhere, but I don't expect him to be a perennial all-star or Vezina Trophy winner.

Old
03-10-2012, 04:15 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Disagree whole heartily.

Funny, that's what they said about Steve Mason in C'bus. How's that working out?

Pretty sure they said similar things about Jim Carey too.

Old
03-10-2012, 04:26 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:

I think that Niittymaki is the only guy you mentioned who is comparable to Bob. And even with Nitty, he didn't break into the NHL until he was 25, and didn't have a season with decent numbers until he was 27. He also had some fairly serious injury problems.

Bob is still only 23 and he's clearly got talent. Saying he'll never pick up proper technique when he's only in his second year with a goalie coach is just premature. I don't know for sure, but I'd bet Nitty had some decent instruction in Finland too.

Old
03-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Breeze 44

Quote:

same as in other sports....like for instance....Tim Tebow?

Old
03-10-2012, 05:53 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Funny, that's what they said about Steve Mason in C'bus. How's that working out?

Pretty sure they said similar things about Jim Carey too.
BOB performed extremely well for 9/10's of his rookie season and has performed we up until Feb this year.

So he has like a few bad months in one and a half years of playing. Make total sense to judge him off that.

May as well get rid of Read, Cooter, Schenn too. They will prolly will never amount to anything either.

Old
03-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

he's a bum

Old
03-10-2012, 08:54 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
he's a bum
No, no, no. This is when everyone says they supported him from the beginning.

Old
03-10-2012, 08:55 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Bryz is like Neo at the end of The Matrix

He finally realizes he's the One

Old
03-10-2012, 08:58 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Wang and Bennyflyers say give Bryz and Reese an extension....

Old
kammy

Quote:
Disagree whole heartily.

time to change your avatar... new Bryz is SHO master!

Old
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
Bryz is like Neo at the end of The Matrix

He finally realizes he's the One

Closed Thread