HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Burke admires Habs Fans.

Old
03-10-2012, 10:44 AM
PricePkPatch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
He's loud and opinionated. Like Cherry....except Burke hasa better tailor No wonder those two get along so well.

At least BB can appreciate a fan base for what it is, unlike Cherry who has that George W Bush mentality of "with us or against us"
I mean, Cherry is actively biased and actually ******** in his comments. You can try to find fault in Burke's comments or actions, but he still will have a consistent paradigm based on some valid interpretation of reality. As to where Cherry is obnoxious and plain nut.

I don't mind "loud and opinionated". I mind random and ****ing obnoxous.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
He admires the flaming passion of Habs fans
What's he getting at here!?

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:57 AM
mrcontractor

Doesn't take a genius to figure out what he means in that article. He obviously doesn't like to be yelled at or being flipped the finger...who does. He just likes that fans are so passionate about their team and the sport in general. Outside of MTL, TO and a select few cities, the general public don't even know the players on their own team, let alone a GM or a coach of another team.

mrcontractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:16 PM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle west View Post
i fully support his efforts to get don cherry fired.
+10000000000!

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Forsead

Brian Burke already trying to get a new job the guy is crafty

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Raider917

vCash: 50
I like the way he handles the press

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:20 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Yashvalev View Post
I think it's sarcasm more than anything.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I remember in 04 when we played Tampa in the playoffs, morning of game 3 I was walking to work and Tortorella happened to be walking down on his way to the Bell Centre. Some guy ripped him for no reason and Tortorella started ripping him back calling him naes and finishing by telling him we will sweep your team. He was right

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Yashvalev View Post
Seeing as Gauthier is on his way out and maybe so is Burke, that sounds like he is applying for the GM position in Montreal. Has he taken French lessons?

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not sure what's to hate about Burke. The "hate" part happens when you don't like the moves your GM makes. He's not my GM. He can't do as many stupidities he'd like, I can't hate him. Yet, I love how he addresses the media and the fans. The result might not be there yet, but at least they know a lot more why.....
I'm with you on this, WS. I like Burke. He's one of those gruff, rough, bombastic loud mouths who has a heart of gold. He has done some good work (built the Canucks to a powerhouse, won a Cup in Anaheim) and he has done some terrible work ( the Leafs so far and Hartford). But he's a GM that is not afraid to admit his mistakes and correct them as quickly as possible.

Seeing as no GM is perfect they all make mistakes and the ability to see them, admit making them and correcting them is something I admire. And something the two clowns we have should learn.

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I remember in 04 when we played Tampa in the playoffs, morning of game 3 I was walking to work and Tortorella happened to be walking down on his way to the Bell Centre. Some guy ripped him for no reason and Tortorella started ripping him back calling him naes and finishing by telling him we will sweep your team. He was right
Torts was born to coach in the NE.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 03:44 PM
xa123

Brian Burke rules.

xa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 03:58 PM
OneSharpMarble

Fingers and lunatics screaming profanity is something to admire? What world does this guy live in?

I like harmless taunts but some of this stuff is too much

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 04:10 PM
Muminek

Well, he probably doesn`t call people Mister. Could it be, that you only love him because he`s the opposite of our Goat?

Muminek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 04:24 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Fingers and lunatics screaming profanity is something to admire? What world does this guy live in?

I like harmless taunts but some of this stuff is too much
In reference to this, if any of you feel bashing a guy from another team off the ice is cool, give your head a shake. The people bugging burke in the story are embarrasing. Bug them about the team, but bothering the guy for no reason is pathetic.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I'm with you on this, WS. I like Burke. He's one of those gruff, rough, bombastic loud mouths who has a heart of gold. He has done some good work (built the Canucks to a powerhouse, won a Cup in Anaheim) and he has done some terrible work ( the Leafs so far and Hartford). But he's a GM that is not afraid to admit his mistakes and correct them as quickly as possible.

Seeing as no GM is perfect they all make mistakes and the ability to see them, admit making them and correcting them is something I admire. And something the two clowns we have should learn.
A lot of Leafs fans complain that Burke is too stubborn and unwilling to admit to mistakes. He still says he'd do the Kessel trade over again. Either he's unwilling to admit to a mistake or very stupid (Seguin and D.Hamilton have superstar written all over them and J.Knight's not too shabby). He put Komisarek on the US Olympic team to justify a terrible signing (the opposite of admitting to a mistake). He took 2 years too long to fire Wilson. He sure as hell didn't build Vancouver into a powerhouse....did they ever get out of 1st round during his or his successor's tenure(Nonis)? He's made huge mistakes during his GM career with goaltenders. He's good at coming up with excuses though.

I hope the Leafs keep him for another 5 years.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 01:24 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Burke is my kind of guy but I find strange the way he built the current Leafs roster. It's not his kind of team at all. The way he kept supporting Wilson was so stupid, I thought. Not only Wilson was not coaching the way Burke liked but Wilson was a lifeless husk, basically. Sort of the opposite of the boiling tempered Burkie.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 03:36 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Burkie didn't rebuild the Leafs right. He added complimentary parts before his core. Look how the Leafs were built after the Ballard years..first they traded for Fuhr then Gilmour. A top goalie then a top center.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Burkie didn't rebuild the Leafs right. He added complimentary parts before his core. Look how the Leafs were built after the Ballard years..first they traded for Fuhr then Gilmour. A top goalie then a top center.
They need to draft better.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 04:13 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Burke is my kind of guy but I find strange the way he built the current Leafs roster. It's not his kind of team at all. The way he kept supporting Wilson was so stupid, I thought. Not only Wilson was not coaching the way Burke liked but Wilson was a lifeless husk, basically. Sort of the opposite of the boiling tempered Burkie.
The only reason burke is "people's kind of guy" is because he talks big, has what i call charm (good manipulation skills) and manages to sign the song people like to hear. In TO it was "Truculance", guranteeing PO's every year, "standing firm" with certain decision (based on emotional ideology, e.g. don't sign players to front loaded contracts, limiting his options voluntarly). What they need in TO is to entertain the suits. Bringing in a larger then life character ala burke, pretty much guranteed years of "Ahw, BB is such a boss". The only thing that should be envyed from Burke is his trading skills. But that can be linked to his "charming" skills.

Understandable burke is your kind of guy, if you deliberatly ignore the fact he has yet to bring TO to PO's in his tenure, traded for sniper when his team was OBVIOUSLY not a contender for the next 3 years after that trade. Picks players based on "character" instead of skillset (Luke @ #5, Kadri @ %7, two players burke WANTED), yet , like many others, still think "burke is type of guy". That's how much influence the word "truculence" has to you, he said it 4 years ago, and still hanging on in your mind like if he invented new style of hockey.

Not to mention the RIDICOULS UFA contracts he's signed in Komi, Armstrong, Connoly and wealth of other terrible signings.

uiCk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 04:28 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
The one think about Burke & the Leafs, they are actually improving. It's nice for a new GM to come in when a team is rock bottom. Burke will get his 5 years. The English media keeps mentioning Burke like he's GOD, not really, it's just no secret that the Anglo's really like guys that are straight up!

Montreal on the other hand is going the other way. I really hope Molson gets the best GM avail this summer.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 06:10 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
They need to draft better.
Or trade better...you can build a team quicker with smart trading/signings.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote