HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks at Stars

Old
03-09-2012, 04:27 PM
SJeasy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I have taken part in a lot of the Boyle talk in terms of moving him. My motivation for doing so isn't ignorant to what his effect on the team is. They are obvious. The issue is that his effects on the team will not last forever. The team will obviously take a hit by moving him but, to me, it is better to get something for him while you can before he either drops off in ability, walks away as a free agent, or retires.
I don't entirely disagree with your take as long as you acknowledge the issue which you do. As an example, a Suter/Boyle swap would result in a very different team, more defensively oriented. The forwards would see a points dip as well. Also likely to get a drop in GAA. And, it would take time for the team to gel in that sense.

I think the Sharks' best shot at the cup is well past and am not opposed to the beginnings of restructuring the org.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
What no one picks up on and that I notice is watching what happens when the puck goes to White at the point in the offensive zone. Almost guarantees that the puck will exit the zone. He may even get a shot off, but it isn't the kind that produces scrambles. I don't know why. This is the part of his game that has not picked up lately.

Also check the speed and consistency of zone exits when White is on the ice. Same issue, no improvement.
Everything about White seems to point to one thing -- his vision problems. You lose depth perception, you can't knock down pucks, hold them in the zone, or judge how to get them through traffic. I honestly don't see why he isn't considered damaged goods at this point but he is ALWAYS fumbling the puck and this has got to be the reason.

Phu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 07:59 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
I don't entirely disagree with your take as long as you acknowledge the issue which you do. As an example, a Suter/Boyle swap would result in a very different team, more defensively oriented. The forwards would see a points dip as well. Also likely to get a drop in GAA. And, it would take time for the team to gel in that sense.

I think the Sharks' best shot at the cup is well past and am not opposed to the beginnings of restructuring the org.
I don't know.... I think during the off season they have a decent chance to possibly pencil in the best roster in franchise history.

Sign Jokienen, Stuart, and Nabokov

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:09 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
I don't know.... I think during the off season they have a decent chance to possibly pencil in the best roster in franchise history.

Sign Jokienen, Stuart, and Nabokov
Are you serious about Nabby and Jokinen? No way in hell would that happen. Nabby's not coming here, and Jokinen will end up having some team desperate for a #2C overpaying for him like Leino and Laich.

I agree to a degree with Easy, but I think that we could still do some re-tooling and extend the window.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:39 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Are you serious about Nabby and Jokinen? No way in hell would that happen. Nabby's not coming here, and Jokinen will end up having some team desperate for a #2C overpaying for him like Leino and Laich.

I agree to a degree with Easy, but I think that we could still do some re-tooling and extend the window.
What makes you think Nabokov wouldn't come here. Jokinen would be a perfect fit with Couture and Havlat on the second line. He would be the toughest to get but not impossible

Old
03-09-2012, 08:44 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
What makes you think Nabokov wouldn't come here. Jokinen would be a perfect fit with Couture and Havlat on the second line. He would be the toughest to get but not impossible
DW won't sign Nabby after he just let him go 2 seasons ago saying that they've gone as far as they could with Nabby...

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:03 PM
crunchyblack*
juice monkey

Quote:

JJ or OJ? OJ isnt going anywhere in the offseason, he wants to play in Calgary and has an NMC.

Stuart would be a sick signing though lol.

crunchyblack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Olli Jokinen. This place has lost it.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:33 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Nabokov is never going to play in SJ again. I was/still am a HUGE fan of Nabby. He was my favorite player for years. But he simply is never going to play here again.

And I never said Jokinen wouldn't be a good fit here. Someone is going to severely overpay for him and that team will not be the Sharks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyblack View Post
JJ or OJ? OJ isnt going anywhere in the offseason, he wants to play in Calgary and has an NMC.

Olli Jokinen is a UFA after this season.

Old
03-10-2012, 12:16 AM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyblack View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
DW won't sign Nabby after he just let him go 2 seasons ago saying that they've gone as far as they could with Nabby...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Olli Jokinen. This place has lost it.
Quote:
Nabokov is never going to play in SJ again. I was/still am a HUGE fan of Nabby. He was my favorite player for years. But he simply is never going to play here again.

And I never said Jokinen wouldn't be a good fit here. Someone is going to severely overpay for him and that team will not be the Sharks.

Olli Jokinen is a UFA after this season.
Olli Jokinen is a UFA this season... And yes he would be perfect for the Sharks

If the Sharks actually have the ability to sign Jokinen for around five million or under they should seriously consider it so long as it isn't for more then three years. He would likely have a solid year under the sharks on their second line.... Also he plays a complete game and its not like he will be the most sought after FA. After all a lot of teams will be focused on trying to fit Nash, signing Parise, or Semen if he is still available. Wilson may just be able to sneak Jokinen in.

So what if Nabokov and the Sharks parted ways. Nothing says he can't come back. Remember Osgood? Wilson was right about not being able to ride Nabby for seventy plus games but using Nabokov as a 1b with an honest shot to earn the 1a spot may be a good idea

Last edited by WantonAbandon: 03-10-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old
03-10-2012, 12:39 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Olli Jokinen is a UFA this season... And yes he would be perfect for the Sharks

If the Sharks actually have the ability to sign Jokinen for around five million or under they should seriously consider it so long as it isn't for more then three years. He would likely have a solid year under the sharks on their second line.... Also he plays a complete game and its not like he will be the most sought after FA. After all a lot of teams will be focused on trying to fit Nash, signing Parise, or Semen if he is still available. Wilson may just be able to sneak Jokinen in.

So what if Nabokov and the Sharks parted ways. Nothing says he can't come back. Remember Osgood? Wilson was right about not being able to ride Nabby for seventy plus games but using Nabokov as a 1b with an honest shot to earn the 1a spot may be a good idea
Jokinen is the best #2C out there and there is no way he'll be overlooked. I think both Chicago and Washington will be all over him, as well as Calgary trying to resign him. Plus, he's 33 so I don't want to lock up a lot of money on a non-core old guy. $5M for a 36 year old Jokinen? Please.

And Sharks management has subtly placed a lot of blame on Nabby for playoff failures, justified or otherwise.

Old
03-10-2012, 12:45 AM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Jokinen is the best #2C out there and there is no way he'll be overlooked. I think both Chicago and Washington will be all over him, as well as Calgary trying to resign him. Plus, he's 33 so I don't want to lock up a lot of money on a non-core old guy. $5M for a 36 year old Jokinen? Please.

And Sharks management has subtly placed a lot of blame on Nabby for playoff failures, justified or otherwise.
Chicago will want a defenseman before Jokinen and I don't think they can afford both

I'm pretty sure Washington will at least try to resign Green Weidman and Semin. If they don't resign Semin it wouldn't surprise me to see them take a run at Parise and win the sweepstakes.

Old
03-10-2012, 12:54 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Chicago will want a defenseman before Jokinen and I don't think they can afford both

I'm pretty sure Washington will at least try to resign Green Weidman and Semin. If they don't resign Semin it wouldn't surprise me to see them take a run at Parise and win the sweepstakes.
Tell me, which defensemen out there are would fit Chicago's needs more than Jokinen as the #2C? Chicago isn't going to land Suter, so who else?

And Semin is going to get a lower contract than the one he's on/take a HTD, Green is still an RFA, and Wideman is old. I wouldn't worry about cap space if I'm Washington.

Old
03-10-2012, 12:57 AM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Tell me, which defensemen out there are would fit Chicago's needs more than Jokinen as the #2C? Chicago isn't going to land Suter, so who else?

And Semin is going to get a lower contract than the one he's on/take a HTD, Green is still an RFA, and Wideman is old. I wouldn't worry about cap space if I'm Washington.
Oduya... or anyone. Look at his minutes he is averaging over twenty minutes a game. They were desperate for a defenseman at the deadline and they will be just as desperate to secure one during the offseason

Green is an RFA making over five million.... Semin taking a lower contract may not be in the cards for washington. Maybe another club... If Weidman goes he will have to be replaced before they would even consider signing Jokinen

Old
03-10-2012, 01:00 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Oduya... or anyone. Look at his minutes he is averaging over twenty minutes a game. They were desperate for a defenseman at the deadline and they will be just as desperate to secure one during the offseason

Green is an RFA making over five million.... Semin taking a lower contract may not be in the cards for washington. Maybe another club... If Weidman goes he will have to be replaced before they would even consider signing Jokinen
Washington has Orlov who can step up into the top-4, with Green, Carlson, and Alzner. The don't need to replace Wideman if he prices himself out of Washington.

And Chicago already has Oduya, he shouldn't cost much more if any more to sign.

Anyway, I'm done arguing about this: Neither Nabokov or Jokinen will sign with the Sharks, and that is as closest to a fact anyone can state about free agency this season.

Old
03-10-2012, 01:06 AM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Washington has Orlov who can step up into the top-4, with Green, Carlson, and Alzner. The don't need to replace Wideman if he prices himself out of Washington.

And Chicago already has Oduya, he shouldn't cost much more if any more to sign.

Anyway, I'm done arguing about this: Neither Nabokov or Jokinen will sign with the Sharks, and that is as closest to a fact anyone can state about free agency this season.
Your first point would be equivlant to arguing that Braun could step up and fill Burns or even Boyles shoes... Weidman has forty one points on the blue line. Thats not that easy to replace. No way do they count on Orlov at least not yet.

Assuming that Oduya stays for the same amount of money which is an assumption they would be sitting at 59 million with two contracts to fill to be at the minimum roster size.

Old
03-10-2012, 02:50 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Your first point would be equivlant to arguing that Braun could step up and fill Burns or even Boyles shoes... Weidman has forty one points on the blue line. Thats not that easy to replace. No way do they count on Orlov at least not yet.

Assuming that Oduya stays for the same amount of money which is an assumption they would be sitting at 59 million with two contracts to fill to be at the minimum roster size.
Caps are playing Orlov for huge minutes. More than Carlson and Green right now.

Old
03-10-2012, 05:08 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Caps are playing Orlov for huge minutes. More than Carlson and Green right now.
TOI in last 5 is as follows:

Orlov Green Weidman

16.43 23.47 25

24.31 25.14 23.55

15.47 23.27 23.27

17 20.38 19.46

20.07 21.13 21.55

Not even close... Cooled down on him maybe

Old
03-10-2012, 05:13 PM
WantonAbandon

Oh wait I thought you meant Green and Weidman....

Oh well he hasn't been playing more then Calrson either lately

Old
03-10-2012, 05:14 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:

Orlov Green Weidman

16.43 23.47 25

24.31 25.14 23.55

15.47 23.27 23.27

17 20.38 19.46

20.07 21.13 21.55

I'm not saying that Orlov will replace Wideman's offensive production, but I would definitely count on Orlov playing top-4 minutes and being much better defensively than Wideman. Carlson is in the middle of a sophomore slump, but I would expect him to replace Wideman's offensive numbers next season.

Old
03-10-2012, 05:35 PM
SJeasy

Quote:

Orlov Green Weidman

16.43 23.47 25

24.31 25.14 23.55

15.47 23.27 23.27

17 20.38 19.46

20.07 21.13 21.55

I caught the 24 min. game. He was down again today. I have yet to figure the Caps and dmen. It took them forever to give Carlson first tier matchups when it was obvious that he was that good. Alzner is another guy who should be getting first tier. They dump on Schultz who is a guy who can play the Murray to Boyle role; long reach, not a lot of puck skills but very responsible.