HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

I'm not sure how to react...

Old
03-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Maccas

vCash: 500
I've had it happen once before and I just made a very quick turn to make it look like I was trying to make some space and hooked my stick round her ankles. She went down but it looked like she just lost an edge trying to follow me, leaving me free to help out my winger who had been pinned against the boards in the corner. Didn't get any repercussions and it seemed to send a message as she quit the slashing after that.

Just make it look like an accident

Maccas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 12:46 PM
Steelhead16

I've never played in a league that a girl played in but my reaction would be the same as no-check mens leagues that I've played in. I take the abuse, find out who did it and then later throw a hit that would be legal in a checking league. No cheap shot, just a hard check. You will get a penalty but anyone who knows hockey and is paying attention won't give you grief. And the ones who give you grief don't know enough to even worry about what they think.

Then I would suggest practicing like hell and getting better so you can play in leagues that women can't play in. Not all women playing in mens leagues take advantage of being able to get away with that crap but enough do that it isn't worth it and they wreck it for the good ones. But I certainly wouldn't treat them any better or worse. If a guy wants to give it he he better be prepared to take it. Same should go for women.

I wouldn't cheap shot a guy or a girl in retaliation but I wouldn't take that crap either.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:01 PM
v3rs3

Send a message via AIM to v3rs3
My mom always told me when I was younger, "You never, every hit a lady, but if a girl thinks she's as tough as a guy and hits him, she isn't a lady. Deck her." Equality all comes at a price, if she thinks she's tough, we'll see how tough.

Now I'm a big guy, 6'3" 250lbs. I'm not going to go knock some girl out, but if she thinks she's going to get nothing, she's wrong. I'd probably give her a couple good crosschecks and take on any on comers from her team. (just a disclaimer, I've never hit a woman, but I'd have no problem with it if she is going to hit me)

v3rs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
Then I would suggest practicing like hell and getting better so you can play in leagues that women can't play in.
There's a 16 year old girl at our rink that would put 99% of the experienced male players on this board to shame. There are some very good female players out there playing men's league.

And I've never understood what is meant by 'co-ed' league. Every league is co-ed if the woman in good enough.

BTW, to your other comment, throwing a body check in a no check league is a cheap shot, no different than throwing an elbow or slew footing someone. In a no check league, players are not protecting themselves like they would in a full check league. Hitting someone in that situation is just about as bush league as it gets.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:16 PM
OkimLom

Similar incident happened to me. Only thing is, I skated away did nothing. Next faceoff she lined up next to me. She ran her mouth. I said "You're fat when you cry"...We've been together ever since

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:25 PM
sanityplease

Don't take what she's doing personally, the local women's only league is the dirtiest hockey I've ever seen.

She's a woman, gotta respect her. You shouldn't react with any sort of physical contact.

Gotta swallow your pride sometimes & ignore it.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
Either that or just stand there taking it and get the refs attention, look at him and throw your hands up.
Speaking of which, where were the refs in the situation described by the OP?

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Quote:
Then I would suggest practicing like hell and getting better so you can play in leagues that women can't play in. Not all women playing in mens leagues take advantage of being able to get away with that crap but enough do that it isn't worth it and they wreck it for the good ones. But I certainly wouldn't treat them any better or worse. If a guy wants to give it he he better be prepared to take it. Same should go for women.
Wow - you must have led a very sheltered hockey life to this point in your career.

This may offend you, but there are women hockey players out there who are better than you. Lots better.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:15 PM
shawn1331

I am in the same boat as most of you. hit her back. I'm all for womens rights, right up until they think they can get away with anything, then they need a good crosscheck.

We're equal, your not a ****ing super hero.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:30 PM
pshort

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
If you're playing in a league you're susceptible to the same treatment as everybody else. I wouldn't drop the mitts with a girl, but don't be afraid to respond when they start hacking you.

I'm sure that after the game she'd appreciate the fact that you didn't let up on her just because she was a girl.
TOTALLY AGREE!!!

I am a chick and I know everything that I am putting myself into when I walk into the rink. This is hockey. Treat her as if she were another guy. Shove her out of the way. Between periods casually mention it to the refs.

I don't even like when guys try to help me up... They get cursed out for that ****. Sorry guys. In my book the only "genders" are hockey players and wusses. Wusses have no business on the rink. period.

pshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:08 PM
IDuck

i would do nothing, unless i really really felt it was something trying to hurt me severly, and in which case i would pick my spot, like both going into the boards after a puck and then tie the stick up at the last second (i do the same thing with men), and it scares the crap out of you if you arnt expecting it because it causes a slight hesitation at a very bad time....now im 5'11'' 190lbs and have played against some good women who like to play physical and have NEVER felt the "need" to respond to any physical play.. infact i think it makes it more fair to give women more leadway with physical play do to the natural differance in strength....i give women full respect for lacing them up with grown men and not backing down and therefor will let ALMOST anything slide

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 02:34 AM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Those saying do nothing... really? Give me a break. Women playing sports with men should be treated no differently than a man would be. I would never drop the gloves with a woman unless she dropped them and started swinging at me first, but if she's acting like a dirty cheap shot artist? You damn well better give her something back. If not, you need to hang up the skates. Give them an inch, and they will take a mile. Get in her face and tell her if she wants to play like that, she better keep her head up next time she touches the puck.

Slew footing is one thing I take great offense to, since I had my humerus snapped at the shoulder socket after I went down from a slew foot off of a faceoff. Was out three months and had to have pins put into my arm to set it. If you are going to slew foot me, you better damn well be prepared to fight me.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Wow - you must have led a very sheltered hockey life to this point in your career.

This may offend you, but there are women hockey players out there who are better than you. Lots better.
I didn't say accomplished women hockey players don't exist I just have never played with one on a team, I have played pick up with women who could play pretty well. But girls didn't play youth hockey when I was a kid and they certainly didn't play Juniors or at a AA pro level. The one year that I played at a "Novice" type adult league to play with a buddy of mine there were none and I haven't seen any in advanced leagues I played in. I coach high school hockey now and the best player on our JV team last year was a freshman girl. I was hoping that she would stay and play varsity this year but she went to Colorado to play for a U-18 Womens team as a 15 year old. She was the one kid from here that I thought had a chance to play D-1 college hockey. Lots of boys have gone on to D-3 and Tier II and III Junior but she was the only one I thought could play D-1.

In our high school league there are a couple girls playing varsity but probably 5 times as many playing jv. My point to the OP was if he didn't want to take crap from a woman in front of the net he needed to give it back or move up to a level with more experienced players (men or women) because there is less nonsense with people who have played at a higher level. Shots stay down, sticks stay down, people don't just cross check you to death in front of the net. That stuff happens way more with people who have never been on the receiving end before. People in the no contact leagues do that crap because most people won't retaliate. And if they do they are usually wearing a cage. I had someone break a stick with a cross check across the bridge of my nose. That made a point with me that stuck around for a while. The OP didn't want to retaliate because the opponent was female. Being an A-Hole is unisex and should be treated that way. He shouldn't treat a woman any different in a hockey league than he would a man. Everyone understands the game and if a woman has a problem with it then she should play in a womens league. But from women I know who play in mens league they don't want any special treatment. They just want to play the game.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:06 AM
End on a Hinote
Registered Abuser

Chances are, and I am not saying this was most likely the case, but maybe she did what she did because she is fully aware that she is a woman and, therefore, aware that society frowns upon any male striking any woman for any reason whatsoever.

Sorry bud, but you not physically retaliating was exactly what she planned on.

End on a Hinote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 03:31 PM
ArrogantOwl

Hip check.

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 04:07 PM
rinkrat22

I had something similar with a female player. (although it was an upper league and she could play) midway through the second period I had enough, so before a faceoff I asked the other center " what's with the chick, she's slashed me so many times if she was a guy I'd have broken my stick on her by now" it stopped right there. their goalie later told me the guy I said it to was her husband. I guess he had a chat with her on the bench.

Just to clarify the slashes in question were away from the play, ****like Claude Lemieux would of done.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 05:51 PM
pshort

Quote:
I didn't say accomplished women hockey players don't exist I just have never played with one on a team, I have played pick up with women who could play pretty well. But girls didn't play youth hockey when I was a kid and they certainly didn't play Juniors or at a AA pro level. The one year that I played at a "Novice" type adult league to play with a buddy of mine there were none and I haven't seen any in advanced leagues I played in. I coach high school hockey now and the best player on our JV team last year was a freshman girl. I was hoping that she would stay and play varsity this year but she went to Colorado to play for a U-18 Womens team as a 15 year old. She was the one kid from here that I thought had a chance to play D-1 college hockey. Lots of boys have gone on to D-3 and Tier II and III Junior but she was the only one I thought could play D-1.

In our high school league there are a couple girls playing varsity but probably 5 times as many playing jv. My point to the OP was if he didn't want to take crap from a woman in front of the net he needed to give it back or move up to a level with more experienced players (men or women) because there is less nonsense with people who have played at a higher level. Shots stay down, sticks stay down, people don't just cross check you to death in front of the net. That stuff happens way more with people who have never been on the receiving end before. People in the no contact leagues do that crap because most people won't retaliate. And if they do they are usually wearing a cage. I had someone break a stick with a cross check across the bridge of my nose. That made a point with me that stuck around for a while. The OP didn't want to retaliate because the opponent was female. Being an A-Hole is unisex and should be treated that way. He shouldn't treat a woman any different in a hockey league than he would a man. Everyone understands the game and if a woman has a problem with it then she should play in a womens league. But from women I know who play in mens league they don't want any special treatment. They just want to play the game.

Thank you!

pshort is offline   Reply With Quote