HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Ex-Habs Thread Part IV (All Former Habs Players Discussed Here!)

Old
03-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Maliki2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitants19 View Post
ok just to be clear, I had nothing but Junior B hockey experience, and I played 4 games in the FHL this season. It is an absolute joke of a hockey league, a few ex NHL'ers surrounded by Division 2 NCAA guys and ex Junior A guys.
Just tell me it wasn't for the Vermont Wild. They didn't last long!!

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:27 PM
PK76

Ryder notching his 29th goal of the season tonight.

He'll most definitely set a career high in goals this season...at least he's not doing it in a Bruins uniform!

PK76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 05:08 PM
CTHabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
I would say he was pretty good being "the man" in the playoffs. You can speculate all you want, but in every head to head battle they have had, Halak won. I know I'm in the minority on this, but for me:

(Halak on the Habs + Price's trade value) > (Price on the Habs + Lars Eller)

And with Price's new contract this summer, that > might become a >>.
You obviously missed my point; Jaro Halak was never "the man" in Montreal. While he undoubtedly had some great moments with the Canadiens, he never faced the pressure of being the guy who had to carry the team. If he wasn't playing well, the Canadiens always had Carey Price, a fifth overall draft pick. Halak, as a 271st overall pick, was never expected to do great things. That would have changed if Price was traded and Halak was the clear #1 for the Habs. We will never know what would have happened if Halak had a subpar 2010-11 season in Montreal, followed by an October with a save percentage below .900.

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 05:34 PM
smon

I think it's fairly clear that keeping Price over Halak was the right decision. Price has put up better numbers and has become a more consistent goaltender.

But management was wrong to think that Price could handle being the #1 early in his career and that definitely hurt the team. Especially in 2007-08.

The jury is still out on the particular trade of Halak for Eller and Schultz though. Eller has shown that he is an NHLer but he has not made any huge strides beyond that.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
I think it's fairly clear that keeping Price over Halak was the right decision. Price has put up better numbers and has become a more consistent goaltender.

But management was wrong to think that Price could handle being the #1 early in his career and that definitely hurt the team. Especially in 2007-08.

The jury is still out on the particular trade of Halak for Eller and Schultz though. Eller has shown that he is an NHLer but he has not made any huge strides beyond that.
Not sure how it's CLEAR. Halak has made us reached a round we haven't seen yet with Price. Obviously, there are a lot of tangibles and intangibles in there, not solely Price's fault for this year and all....but the end result is that system or not, Halak has shown to be a really good goalie as well. And my point stays. While we will never know the answer to that question, would we be a better team with Halak AND the return of Price. Then with Price AND the return of Halak. That question doesn't make Halak a God, and doesn't make Price a slouch. Both of them are really good with Price looking to me more of a franchise goalie who can handle more games. Yet, Halak has already shown 1 more thing than Price did. 1 playoff 3rd round doing miracles after miracles. I guess it will happen with Price. But to this point, I have no idea how it's that CLEAR unless we are talking solely about potential. Yet, potential isn't always reality even when it looks like that's going to happen, which is the case for Price.

I think that they didn't make a mistake by keeping Price. Cause if so, it would have mean that one is a bad goalie and the other is great. Which is not the case. But what should always be CLEAR in ANY organization is that "Is this team better now" after making a trade. Habs have made way too many deals they HAD to make with a whole lot of supposed and BS "Addition by substraction" type of trade. Yet, most of those deals if not ALL of them, never ending up to be an addition in any kind. Obviously not the point in letting Halak go but just talking about this whole dealing approach this organization had in the recent past.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHabsfan View Post
You obviously missed my point; Jaro Halak was never "the man" in Montreal. While he undoubtedly had some great moments with the Canadiens, he never faced the pressure of being the guy who had to carry the team. If he wasn't playing well, the Canadiens always had Carey Price, a fifth overall draft pick. Halak, as a 271st overall pick, was never expected to do great things. That would have changed if Price was traded and Halak was the clear #1 for the Habs. We will never know what would have happened if Halak had a subpar 2010-11 season in Montreal, followed by an October with a save percentage below .900.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post

It's like you don't even watch the NHL.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 07:06 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

I didn't have any issue with letting go Pyatt but I thought Pouliot was worth keeping around. I think he's better an option as a 3rd liner than Bourque, more physical too.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:48 AM
smon

Price plays a lot more, too. Halak is a tandem goaltender in St Louis.

Obviously Halak was a better goaltender than Price when he was traded coming off the playoff, but that's probably not the case now. Now you can mention Halak's fantastic numbers with St Louis, which are incredible this year, no doubt. But Price has been more of a workhorse for the Canadiens...72 games last year!

Could they have gotten more for Price than Halak? I don't know. There's a lot of hypotheticals. It's just not a big part of why the team isn't very good right now. More like could they have kept Koivu, Higgins and McDonagh instead of Gomez.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:09 PM
WhiskeySeven

Maybe, Halak didn't do enough to win the job over permanently?

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 04:55 PM
the

Halak is the better goalie,maybe one day Price is going to be the better one but right now if I had to build a team for the playoff's,I would take Halak over Price.

the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 09:06 PM
PK76

SK to AK for the second time tonight! They look awesome together on the PP!

PK76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 09:09 PM
PyrettaBlaze

I'm still really ****ing pissed that we traded A.Kostitsyn. I don't think I'll ever get over it. Unreal...

PyrettaBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 09:10 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Must suck for a team to give up someone who scores 3 goals, 6 points in the 5 games following the trade for a 2nd rounder.

Wait...

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 09:10 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Habs can just re-sign Andrei as an UFA. It's all part of Gauthier's genius.

Old
03-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Nashville love our problems

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 09:52 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 499
i knew he would come out like this once he was moved

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 09:53 PM
speed11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
I'm still really ****ing pissed that we traded A.Kostitsyn. I don't think I'll ever get over it. Unreal...
you need to get out more.

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:00 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed11 View Post
I'm talking in the hockey sense you smart ass. It's not as if I'll dwell on it every waking minute.

PyrettaBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
There is hope. We sign him back when he becomes a UFA. We can give him free dough to spend at Chez Paree for the rest of his career as a bribe.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Avim86

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed11 View Post
He's not alone we sold low again , when we had a clear opportunity to resign him (he wanted to stay at a discount on market value).

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

My boy Andrei is awesome, with his bro they are just AMAZING!!!! WOW

haters can suck it...

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:03 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
Nashville love our problems
They will probably go after Emelin next season. I don't think Emelin will fit in Montreal either. Maybe he will be cheap replacemnet for Suter.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

So sick of that management giving up talented players for free...glad for AK though, he deserves it.

As for another ex-habs, Jaroslav Spacek has 5 goals in 31 games with Carolina...he had 4 goals in 145 games with us .

Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Prendan Brust

It was written in the sky that Kostitsyn would find his game elsewhere. It's the same old pattern with this team. Trade players when their value is at an all time low and watch them thrive elsewhere.

Prendan Brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:15 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony View Post
It was written in the sky that Kostitsyn would find his game elsewhere. It's the same old pattern with this team. Trade players when their value is at an all time low and watch them thrive elsewhere.
Perhaps but we kept him much longer than we did others.