HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Kerfuffles

Old
03-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Bergeron Knows Best

vCash: 500
Beer League Kerfuffles

An incident occured during the Black and Orange hockey game last sunday. At 12 minutes 34 seconds into the second period, there was a fight between #8 in Black and #13 in Orange. Prior to the incident #13 in orange made 2 deliberate hip checks (in a no check league), and one deliberate trip. It was at this point in the game when #8 felt it necessary to pay him back the favor, and was fully willing to take his 2 minutes for it. Directly after paying him back, #13 in Orange turned around and went straight for his facemask, ripping it off and began throwing punches. It was obvious that no one on the ice was willing to break it up, so one of the willing players in Black left the bench to end the kerfuffle. He did not throw any punches, or hit anyone in any way, he skated straight for his team mate and pulled him off. Our (Black) captain then left the bench to talk to the Refs (the play had already been blown dead). The end result was #8 and #13 respectively were removed from the game, our captain and the gentlemen who went to break up the scruff (since no referees or players on the ice were willing) were both removed as well.

A week later we get an email from the league, #8(B) and #13(O) were both suspended for the rest of the season, despite the fact that #8(B) was merely defending him self from someone who was literally assaulting him. Our captain was suspended for leaving the bench (to talk to the ref), and the guy who intervened and broke up the fight was suspended for the season.

The presidant of the league never once talked to anyone on either team about what happened. Him and the referee were the only ones who talked about the situation, and the referee was being obviously biased the entire game (often times after the incident would go over to Oranges bench and talk about all the suspensions he was going to hand out).

As a Beer League player, I pay my fees to play hockey. Not have some guy play chippy and check and trip when no body is expecting it and often times skate with our heads down. Furthermore I never expect to see a fight, and when rules like "third man in" and "leaving the bench" are enforced at this level of play, it is kind of comedy.

I want opinions, do you think its fair to suspend someone in a beer league for third man in or leaving the bench, when all he was doing was breaking up an assault? I understand its place in competitive hockey, but in a beer league where we all have to go to work the next day, how can someone be treated like this for breaking up a fight?

Bergeron Knows Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Gibson19

I don't think you're captain or teammate who pulled the guys apart should be suspended for the rest of the season, a penalty or maybe a game suspension.

Think about it this way. If the other team all of a sudden see's another player from your bench skate towards the "fight" they have no idea if he's gonna start throwing punches or if he's just trying to help.

You captain has no reason to be on the ice either, until after everything has cleared up.

It is ****** that your league suspended who they did without talking to at least the captains. In beer league it's not like the other captain is gonna vehemently defend his players innocence in instigating the fight. In a no contact league, fighting is gonna get you a suspension even if you throw just one punch in retaliation, I don't think it should be a whole season though.

Gibson19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 02:31 PM
OpenIceHit42

Suspended for the rest of the season? That's brutal.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Bergeron Knows Best

Indeed. The ref made accusations that the guy who broke it up pushed him away, and that he was abusing him after the fact. The ref finally decided to get in the middle of everything after our guy broke it up, and then followed him off the ice calling him an ******* and such for leaving the bench. You have to imagine a ref with the IQ of a potatoe, having no idea how to control a game (let the same guy deliver 2 blatant checks in a no check league), who gets called out for sucking, and then throws a fit. And then imagine that he was the only person that was asked what happen. It's just unfortunate I'm in Louisville KY, it is the only ice in the area.

Old
03-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Gino 14

Once again, it's your side of the story versus the ref's and the ref is going to win. I can't believe it's as straight forward as you imply, it never is. Leaving the bench is serious and the rules don't make exceptions for whatever excuse you deem as defense, too often it leads to others leaving and then a real mess can follow. They broke the rules, you're lucky your captain is still playing. Also, the ref doesn't hand out suspensions, the league does, and it's no big surprise that the league didn't talk to anyone, they would get the same one-sided story that you gave.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 07:51 PM
WhoozYerrDaddy

vCash: 0
I wanna know where the word 'kerfuffles' came from.

WhoozYerrDaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Bexlyspeed

that's the problem with some of these leagues. once they get your money they have no interest in what goes on.

obviously no effort was put in when looking at the suspensions

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:42 PM
OpenIceHit42

Was this a house beer league or was it HNA type league? I ask if it's HNA because their rules are pretty strict to keep the meatheads out

Old
03-10-2012, 11:42 PM
Bergeron Knows Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoozYerrDaddy View Post
I wanna know where the word 'kerfuffles' came from.

1:33 mark

OpenIce, its USA Hockey, I don't see any HNA endorsements on their main site. I think the ref really blew this one up on us. The guy on the other team has a history for this kind of stuff. He threw a check twice, and the second he got his he couldn't take it and turned around swinging. If it was any other referee, it would have been broken up and the 2 guys would have taken the rest of the night off. Unfortunately this ref has a power trip in the middle of our game, and continues to do so when he has his meeting with the president of the league. I'm starting to just face it and get over it, it just sucked cause the guy who got the boot for breaking it up was a good friend of mine. Not to mention we will be skating with like 8 skaters for the rest of the season.

I can level with what some people are saying, how I have to look at how it could incite a huge brawl if people start leaving the bench, I can respect and agree with that.

That said, do you think in a beer league, that the refs should be responsible for breaking up fights?

Old
03-11-2012, 12:25 AM
OpenIceHit42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins011110 View Post
That said, do you think in a beer league, that the refs should be responsible for breaking up fights?
Yes and no. I worked a few beer leagues for some extra cash a few years ago and the rink manager always told us if the gloves come off and it's 1 on 1 let it go, we'll figure it out when were done and that there was no sense in putting us (officials) in harms way.

Old
03-11-2012, 11:21 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins011110 View Post

Nope, the refs are not and should not be responsible for the stupidity of those involved in a fight. The refs get paid for reffing only, not babysitting.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Nope, the refs are not and should not be responsible for the stupidity of those involved in a fight. The refs get paid for reffing only, not babysitting.
I can agree with this ONLY if the refs do a good job controlling the game, which unfortunately I find they rarely do in Beer League. Refs that let chippy play go and then stand back when one guy gets pummeled into the ice are totally useless. Whenever we have a pair like that, I wonder why we even need the refs out there at all.

In our league, the refs do break up fights, so it's a moot point anyway, but I've seen fights occur that could have been avoided entirely if the refs kept control over the game. I took my only fighting major ever in beer league about 3 weeks ago due to this exact situation.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 02:23 PM
Trojan35

Ultimately, you have a few reasonable courses of action.

1) complain loudly and politely to the league president, explaining the situation.
2) complain to the president's boss (usually a GM or owner, etc)
3) review the official rulebook of how season-long suspensions are supposed to happen. usually, it involves a face-to-face with the league pres.
4) if that doesn't work, vote with your wallet, find a new league next season and if the reffing is as bad as you say, you should be able to find other teams to leave with you.

I guarantee upper management will take notice if a third of the teams each paying $12k a year take off because of this. If your team and other teams arent willing to go this far, maybe it wasn't as big a deal as you think.

Trojan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post

In our league, the refs do break up fights, so it's a moot point anyway, but I've seen fights occur that could have been avoided entirely if the refs kept control over the game. I took my only fighting major ever in beer league about 3 weeks ago due to this exact situation.
If you have that many fights in a beer league that you can honestly make that statement, and you are still playing after a fighting major, your league is a joke and the exception to the rule.

Old
03-11-2012, 07:55 PM
Canadian91

You can't leave the bench during a fight regardless of the situation UNLESS you're the captain, in which case you can leave the bench to talk to the referee. They blew that call, for sure, but the player who broke it up still can't leave his bench, so that call was gotten right. Unless your beer league's rules differ from Hockey Canada's..

Canadian91 is offline   Reply With Quote