HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

David Desharnais vs. Patrik Berglund

View Poll Results: Berglund vs Desharnais
Patrik Berglund 76 69.09%
David Desharnais 34 30.91%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-07-2012, 03:14 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipitar View Post
From major media outlets such as TSN. I'm not talking about my personal evaluation of having watched him play decently enough, I was more referring to the discourse around him. He just doesn't strike me of being that much of a special player. I know, for instance, I was more happy getting Eller over Berglund when the Halak trade happened, something which many people around me couldn't figure. I still think to this day Eller has more upside into him than Berglund (and I don't have enormous expectations on the young Dane, future good 2nd line centre IMO).

I really don't think Berglund is a scrub though, so don't get me wrong. Yet I'll have to disagree with the Backes comparison. To me Berglund doesn't have that fire and physical edge that makes Backes such a valuable piece.
I won't ask you to prove that TSN or other major media outlets have hyped Berglund to break out since his rookie year, but I'll just say that I haven't seen him hyped very much.

And I wasn't comparing him to Backes in style. I'm not saying they're identical players, but Backes is just an example of another big guy who had to improve his skating a lot before he could succeed in the NHL. And even after that, he grew a lot. At the same age, Berglund is a better player. And he definitely has the fire. He also uses his body to protect the puck much better than Backes does. Berglund doesn't constantly dish out punishment the way Backes does, but when he has the puck, he uses his body better, including making power moves.

Will Berglund, over the course of his career, be as good as Backes? No telling. But, again, I think your expectations are off. Berglund is not fully formed as a player.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Go Habs Go

Well I would like Berglund because of his potential but right now I have to choose DD as he's one of the last 2 french guys on the Habs and there would be some epic crying if he were traded right now and Darche becomes the only flying frenchman...

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Berglund has really improved his 2 way game. He is such a force. If only his shot was accurate, he would score 30 easily.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 05:31 PM
Natedawg
Lars Eller

Really really concerned about Berglunds offensive upside. Was really counting on a growth year for my fantasy team. Needless to say he's been a major disappointment.

Natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 03:32 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
Berglund has really improved his 2 way game. He is such a force. If only his shot was accurate, he would score 30 easily.
The hardest thing to do in the NHL is score goals. There are a lot of guys who would be 30 goal scorers.... if they were better scorers.

I like Berglund's potential more but it's a question as to whether he'll reach it.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Kusic
Be The Thunder

Send a message via ICQ to Kusic
Berglund.

Kusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Red08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
The hardest thing to do in the NHL is score goals. There are a lot of guys who would be 30 goal scorers.... if they were better scorers.

I like Berglund's potential more but it's a question as to whether he'll reach it.
IMO, Berglund's biggest issue is his confidence. Something I hope improves as he gets older. He played great in February and you could just tell he was feeling really confident.

Something that Darren Pang pointed out the other day, he still has more points than Henrik and Daniel Sedin had through there first 4 seasons. However, other than being from Sweden, I don't see many comparisons...

Red08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 12:09 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red08 View Post
IMO, Berglund's biggest issue is his confidence. Something I hope improves as he gets older. He played great in February and you could just tell he was feeling really confident.

Something that Darren Pang pointed out the other day, he still has more points than Henrik and Daniel Sedin had through there first 4 seasons. However, other than being from Sweden, I don't see many comparisons...
I bet the Sedins had more consistent line mates...

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote