HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The General is back! The Quest for 9th is on. (Habs win 4-1)

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2012, 12:13 AM
pine*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
... East finals. East semi finals. First place. Coming short 1 goal of beating the SC champion. Way overblown. We've been mediocre fore 4-5 years. in the early 2000 late 90.
We missed playoff 2 times. (This season included.)
since 04 I think.

We got good future. We're a much better team than our record. We got 2 30 goals scorer 3 number 2 centers. 2 number one dman. one/the best goalie in the league..

Mediocrity... How old are you? Have you seen early 2000 team ? That was mediocre. I'd like the team to win every year. But it doesnt happen. Redwings almost missed playoffs last year.
Number of Stanley Cup appearances? 0.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:14 AM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I need to give RC credit for this game. He played the matchups game right and used Markov appropriately.

Who's next? Ottawa? Hope we can win that game too.

If I watch, I want them to win. If I miss the game, then I don't care.
Buffalo.

A weird schedule. @ Buffalo. Home and Home with Ottawa then the NYI and finally Buffalo and Ottawa again. What are the chances we go 6-0?

Old
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Some people should visit the Edmonton boards and see what those fans think of losing and getting high end talent, three years in a row.

Old
SB164

Is Dan Hamhuis on CBC After Hours every week?

Old
03-11-2012, 12:15 AM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Its always fun to see Markov jumped on his teammate that just scored and give him a big hug. I missed that.
I missed it too, what a guy!

Pacioretty is also incredible. Kudos to him to give Cammy credit.

We have a good and young core, I'm glad they show us why we have many reasons to be excited for the future, even if that cost us a couple of rank for the draft!!

Old
03-11-2012, 12:15 AM
pine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Some people should visit the Edmonton boards and see what those fans think of losing and getting high end talent, three years in a row.
Nobody's talking about losing 3 years in a row.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:17 AM
Andy

What I like about these last few games is that even though everything has gone wrong this year, that the team still has players willing to go out there with a win in mind. The team has some great characters with Cole, Pacioretty, Desharnais, Gorges, Subban and Eller. They all play like they want to win every night. It's what I like to see moving forward and I hope they keep this attitude.

Also, Subban is just oozing in confidence these past few weeks and his game has never been better. Loving the youth with Pacioretty, Eller, Price and Subban.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:18 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
My point is that drafting 1st or drafting 10th isn't the difference. The difference is the GM, the guy whose job it is to build a team.

The Capitals are a team stacked with top end talent, and they can't put it together. The Oilers have drafted great young players and are struggling to put it together.

I can accept that we haven't made any Stanley Cup appearances since 1993. I can accept that it may seem mediocre what this team has achieved (or not) in the past decade. But, I don't see the fixation with losing a few draft positions when you get to see your team win.

Get a good GM, and good things will follow.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:18 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Our remaining schedule is very soft. I don't think we're going to finish bottom 5.

Jackets (lock)
Oilers (lock)
Isles (highly likely, game vs them at home is likely an easy win)
Leafs (worst team in the NHL right now...their only win in weeks is vs us)
Canes (really tough sched with a lot of road games)
Wild (injuries and terrible D...no chance)

are almost certain to drop below us in the next couple weeks. Tank is dead, hopefully the youngsters develop from this run.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:20 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Our remaining schedule is very soft. I don't think we're going to finish bottom 5.

Jackets (lock)
Oilers (lock)
Isles (highly likely, game vs them at home is likely an easy win)
Leafs (worst team in the NHL right now...their only win in weeks is vs us)
Canes (really tough sched with a lot of road games)
Wild (injuries and terrible D...no chance)

are almost certain to drop below us in the next couple weeks. Tank is dead, hopefully the youngsters develop from this run.
Don't we usually lose to teams we should beat and win against teams that should wreck us? Seems like we're going to be just fine

Old
03-11-2012, 12:20 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
At some point you have to build off of it. They have Hall, Eberle and Nuge to build with, along with the rest of their younger guys.

I don't think having a run for the sake of it is really something to be excited about compared to the long-term benefits of acquiring superior talent.

That said, I very much doubt the Habs keep any type of sustained success, they haven't shown anything close to that ability this season. Columbus had a 3- or 4-game win streak, these past 2 wins are just a testament to the bipolarity of the fanbase/goldfish memory where a team falls in the trap game and suddenly we're going to win 5 or 6 in a row (anyone remember what this place was like after our 4-game win streak?). I assume once we meet a team that has something to fight for and can't afford any type of letdown, we'll be getting hammered back to the cellar of expectations, and the doom-and-gloom that goes along with it will come back on the forums.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:21 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Max attributes his positional work on ice to score goals to Mike Cammalleri.
I thought that might have been the case over the past 2 years in how Pacioretty's style evolved. He also picked up how to do the one-knee one-timer play that Cammalleri loved.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:21 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Number of Stanley Cup appearances? 0.
Yep.
Number of cups in last ten years for
Minny 0
CBJ 0
Atlanta 0
Florida 0
St Louis 0
NYR 0
NYI 0
NJ 0
WAS 0
Toronto 0
Dallas 0
NAS 0
PHO 0
COL 0
SJ 0
LA 0

So thats 17 teams that dindt go to the SCF . Unlike 14 out of those teams we've made it to conference finals. Quite the mediocrity

Quote:
Losing is not fun. Cammy said it. It's true. I'd love to get a franchise forward too. But if its not bound to its the life.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:23 AM
pine*

Quote:
My point is that drafting 1st or drafting 10th isn't the difference. The difference is the GM, the guy whose job it is to build a team.

The Capitals are a team stacked with top end talent, and they can't put it together. The Oilers have drafted great young players and are struggling to put it together.

I can accept that we haven't made any Stanley Cup appearances since 1993. I can accept that it may seem mediocre what this team has achieved (or not) in the past decade. But, I don't see the fixation with losing a few draft positions when you get to see your team win.

Agreed, but you can put more chances on your side with a higher draft pick. Just look at the list of top 4 picks of the past few years...

2011: Nugent-Hopkins, Landeskog, Huberdeau, Larsson
2010: Hall, Seguin, Gudbranson, Johansen
2009: Tavares, Hedman, Duchene, Kane
2008: Stamkos, Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo
2007: Kane, van Riemsdyk, Turris, Hickey
2006: Johnson, J. Staal, Toews, Backstrom

2007 was the worst, but I'd take any of these forwards (Turris is at the bottom of the list) on the Habs any day of the week.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:25 AM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
At some point you have to build off of it. They have Hall, Eberle and Nuge to build with, along with the rest of their younger guys.
Here's the thing, that's a hell of a 1st line trio, lots of skill and chemistry. And hell, they're fun to watch.

But is Price, Subban and Pacioretty that far off in terms of talent & impact? Also note that each play different positions. I assume Edmonton haven't found a future #1 goalie and #1 defensemen yet.

Old
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Here's the thing, that's a hell of a 1st line trio. But is Price, Subban and Pacioretty that far off in terms of talent & impact, especially considering each play different positions?
Touche.

Old
Craig71

Max Pacioretty is pure class.He is so humble and thankful for what he has and is the kind of player we need. We have alot to be proud of in this guy and I hope he is a Hab for life.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:26 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Unfortunately for them, they don't have the depth and talent spread out. We just need that one player (preferably forward) that can be an impact player. Just imagine where the Bruins would be this season and in the future outlook without Seguin? They ultimately got him after tanking a season to get Kessel. Since this team isn't bad enough to pull an Oilers, Islanders, or Lightning every year, this season's bad luck was a great chance to get that top pick and bounce back next season with an infinitely better future outlook.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:30 AM
Habskrieg

Total man crush bromance for The General.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:31 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Here's the thing, that's a hell of a 1st line trio. But is Price, Subban and Pacioretty that far off in terms of talent & impact, especially considering each play different positions?
Keep in mind Price (2005), Subban (2007) and Pacioretty (2007) are much more seasoned than Eberle (2008), Hall (2010) and Nuge (2011).

Also, the Oilers don't have much help in terms of veterans to help those guys get anywhere, compared to the guys we've had here.

Is it much better? I don't know, because the NHL simply isn't a league where a bunch of youngsters flying around the ice can win big. You need a strong veteran backbone, along with structure and sufficient supporting talent.

I feel Edmonton has the better foundation, but given their city's reputation when it comes to attracting talent and their current organization, I'm not sure they have what it takes to make what they have flourish to its full potential.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:32 AM
SB164

Arpon Basu ‏ @ArponBasu

Pacioretty was very polite to laugh at Scott Oake's jokes before asking about The Hit, because he truly hates talking about it.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:33 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Yep.
Number of cups in last ten years for
Minny 0
CBJ 0
Atlanta 0
Florida 0
St Louis 0
NYR 0
NYI 0
NJ 0
WAS 0
Toronto 0
Dallas 0
NAS 0
PHO 0
COL 0
SJ 0
LA 0

So thats 17 teams that dindt go to the SCF . Unlike 14 out of those teams we've made it to conference finals. Quite the mediocrity

Losing is not fun. Cammy said it. It's true. I'd love to get a franchise forward too. But if its not bound to its the life.
If getting destroyed in the conference finals is enough to be considered a great feat to be remembered, then there's obviously an issue with the teams success in the last couple of decades.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:35 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:

This team's future is already pretty bright. We have a lot of ducks in a row, which is incredible considering the march of talent coming out of montreal the past...15-20 years.

However, this team's future is different if we get a big impact forward out of this draft.

FWIW, I'm cool with all 4 of the major forwards, as there really isn't enough evidence to really separate any of the "other three" from each other. Actually, I think snagging Forsberg in exchange for our despair this season seems fair to me.

That being said, we could still finish 8th or 9th in the league, and that would see us picking someone like Reinhart...who's a fantastic prospect, no doubt. But **** me, does top end forward talent ever have a way of avoiding Montreal.

I'm uncomfortable moving too far out of the bottom 5. I think one of Galchenyuk/Forsberg will be around at 6 or 7. Anything after that the biggest impact forward is Collberg.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:35 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

No video of the ass whoopin by Staubitz? Where's Fel?

Old
03-11-2012, 12:42 AM
Raider917

vCash: 50
is there a site that tells you what percentage chance each lottery team has of making the #1 pick?

Closed Thread